Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:38 pm
For what? Range? Lack of shifting?

I'm with Pex, give me a bigass fuel tank to fill with 87 so I can drive forever. That's the one option I really regret missing on the CT...33 gal fuel tank.

With the premium on diesel fuel and newer fast shifting/good geared transmissions, I'd argue that gas is preferred.

I may be singing a different tune in a month when I'm towing a 4k boat and trailer across the country.
The Pentastar is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING corporate drone engine. Diesel Rubi JL or JT has cachet bro. Second only to 392. Don't even care about your logical arguments.
:whocares:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:38 pm
For what? Range? Lack of shifting?

I'm with Pex, give me a bigass fuel tank to fill with 87 so I can drive forever. That's the one option I really regret missing on the CT...33 gal fuel tank.

With the premium on diesel fuel and newer fast shifting/good geared transmissions, I'd argue that gas is preferred.

I may be singing a different tune in a month when I'm towing a 4k boat and trailer across the country.
I think you'll have some qualms with the 3.21 gears, if you had gone with 3.73s you'd be better suited for towing.

But that 8-speed auto is a peach. When I pulled the tiny glamper with the Trailcock, it was almost like it wasn't even there. You feel it with the Tacoma.
I expect to be :rage: towing with the 3.21 gears, but I'm really amazed at how the excellent transmission makes up for it around town unloaded, so I might not be forced to kill myself immediately with the boat hitched up. The JT towed the glamper without issue even though the transmission danced like crazy...it wasn't really that noticable.

There's 3 gear options for the CT: 3.21, 3.55, and 3.91. I think the 3.55's are probably the right balance of everything, but we'll see. If ordering this thing again, I'd add the 33 gal tank and 3.55 gears. Done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:56 pm https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/gl ... st-review/

Motortrend was not impressed :doe:
I remember this write up, something must have been up with the truck. Those towing complaints seemed seriously :notsure:

I towed with my JT constantly, mostly the 3k glamper, but also tandem axle uhaul trailers probably hauling more than they were, and had none of the issues they did. I did once load the uhaul trailer wrong (too much weight behind the trailer axle) which resulted in some scary moments, but that would have happened with any tow vehicle...that was my own fault.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 pm
I expect to be :rage: towing with the 3.21 gears, but I'm really amazed at how the excellent transmission makes up for it around town unloaded, so I might not be forced to kill myself immediately with the boat hitched up. The JT towed the glamper without issue even though the transmission danced like crazy...it wasn't really that noticable.

There's 3 gear options for the CT: 3.21, 3.55, and 3.91. I think the 3.55's are probably the right balance of everything, but we'll see. If ordering this thing again, I'd add the 33 gal tank and 3.55 gears. Done.
Oh, you can even spec a bigger tank on the 1500? :notbad:
Yep, 33 gal is an option on 1500's (actually, maybe just the Tradesman? I'll have to look). 23 gal is standard, and I think it's too small. I just missed the option check when I ordered the truck :|
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I have a :fullretard: desire to hit up [user not found] and see how much an AWE tread exhaust will run me for the JT. Video clips on their website makes it sound nice. :notsure: about a 5” tip doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:37 pm I have a :fullretard: desire to hit up [user not found] and see how much an AWE tread exhaust will run me for the JT. Video clips on their website makes it sound nice. :notsure: about a 5” tip doe.
Ehhhhh I dunno. I personally think the JT sounds pretty good for what it is, and the entire point of an exhaust in a Jeep is to GTFO of the way of stuff, which the factory exhaust does well. I like the exhaust tip completely hidden because it's functional. Hanging a fancy tip off the end is just :butwhy:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:37 pm I have a :fullretard: desire to hit up [user not found] and see how much an AWE tread exhaust will run me for the JT. Video clips on their website makes it sound nice. :notsure: about a 5” tip doe.
Ehhhhh I dunno. I personally think the JT sounds pretty good for what it is, and the entire point of an exhaust in a Jeep is to GTFO of the way of stuff, which the factory exhaust does well. I like the exhaust tip completely hidden because it's functional. Hanging a fancy tip off the end is just :butwhy:
This tucks the exhaust right up behind the rear wheel. Looks like a pretty good spot for it. :iono:
:fullretard: musings from me. I think some ATs will be next, or a steel rear bumper.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm
This tucks the exhaust right up behind the rear wheel. Looks like a pretty good spot for it. :iono:
:fullretard: musings from me. I think some ATs will be next, or a steel rear bumper.
I'd focus funds on more functional spending, like larger tires. But that's just me.

I did some :fullretard: investigations into JT exhausts for :science: but really, the stock is pretty danged good.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm

I'd focus funds on more functional spending, like larger tires. But that's just me.

I did some :fullretard: investigations into JT exhausts for :science: but really, the stock is pretty danged good.
:word:

It was just a :fullretard: musing. :lol:
I want some 35” ATs next... I’m curious how “quiet” it would get.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 pm

:word:

It was just a :fullretard: musing. :lol:
I want some 35” ATs next... I’m curious how “quiet” it would get.
Chose the right tires, and it shouldn't be too bad IMO.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Y'all talking about tucking your tips like you're a bunch of trannies. :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

AJT, hah it’s A JT, key fob swap complete!

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm AJT, hah it’s A JT, key fob swap complete!

Yeah, I need to order one of those.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:22 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm AJT, hah it’s A JT, key fob swap complete!

Yeah, I need to order one of those.
The transponder is a biatch and a half, then getting it to squish together with the battery took a hot minute.

I love the feel though! Size wise it basically trims down where the flip key is.
Apex

Emailed Long Range America about their gladiator tank. Tank itself is about $2100 then approximately another $1k for install.

Much intrigue, do want.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Second set of DV8 headlight arrived.

Also broken. Only slightly, but enough that it makes the drivers side headlight useless, thanks to a projector facing far downwards in the housing.

Time to just swap out some bulbs instead.

Not really impressed with DV8 to be honest. The slider rails I ordered are fantastic build quality, but they don’t line up with the holes in the pinch welds requiring two of the holes on each side to be drilled out. Even with that, the front brace/bracket seems like it sits lower than the middle and rear ones do and open up the hole to a bunch of mud and water. I
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:10 pm Second set of DV8 headlight arrived.

Also broken. Only slightly, but enough that it makes the drivers side headlight useless, thanks to a projector facing far downwards in the housing.

Not really impressed with DV8 to be honest. The slider rails I ordered are fantastic build quality, but they don’t line up with the holes in the pinch welds requiring two of the holes on each side to be drilled out. Even with that, the front brace/bracket seems like it sits lower than the middle and rear ones do and open up the hole to a bunch of mud and water. I
:balls:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Finally washed the :jeep: yesterday and pulled the freedom panels back off.

Buddy hooked me up with a can of this stuff:
https://www.slickproductsusa.com/produc ... protectant

So after she was all cleaned up I hit all the plastic trim (fenders, door handles, tail light surrounds, hood latches, etc.) with this and it did a great job of shining them back up and making them look factory new again. Doubt it lasts longer than a few months, but the cans are cheap enough that I don’t mind going through a couple of them a year to keep it lookin nice.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've heard these sorts of complaints with this company before. Somewhat of a "you get what you pay for" type thing.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am

I've heard these sorts of complaints with this company before. Somewhat of a "you get what you pay for" type thing.
The thing is, they’re not cheap. The slider rails I got were $200 more than a similar offering from Westin or HDX and priced on par with NFab. They’re built very well and have good quality finishes... the bolts they use that are welded to the brackets are meaty.
That said, the NFab ones do say drilling is required to oversized the holes.
It’s not the biggest problem to have and I expect that small tweaks need to be made here and there for some of this stuff.

These headlights retail at $750 a set but they’re obviously just rebadged... the DV8 label on the box is just a small 3x5 label haphazardly slapped near/over the Chinese manufacturers label. They look great and the install is super easy... the projectors are just shit.

Once I’m done with the surgery I’ll probably just get the OEM pieces and call it a day.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am Once I’m done with the surgery I’ll probably just get the OEM pieces and call it a day.
I think this is the move at this point.
Someone should go beat that seller... :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:00 am

Someone should go beat that seller... :lol:
I'd wait to beat him up until after the refund is processed. :spinulator:
Or my BD’s show up... :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 am
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 am

Or my BD’s show up... :lol:
"Intergalactic backorder." :|
:pecsluck: :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am
The thing is, they’re not cheap. The slider rails I got were $200 more than a similar offering from Westin or HDX and priced on par with NFab. They’re built very well and have good quality finishes... the bolts they use that are welded to the brackets are meaty.
That said, the NFab ones do say drilling is required to oversized the holes.
It’s not the biggest problem to have and I expect that small tweaks need to be made here and there for some of this stuff.

These headlights retail at $750 a set but they’re obviously just rebadged... the DV8 label on the box is just a small 3x5 label haphazardly slapped near/over the Chinese manufacturers label. They look great and the install is super easy... the projectors are just shit.

Once I’m done with the surgery I’ll probably just get the OEM pieces and call it a day.
The COST on the OEM headlights exceeds $750...so they're likely coming from the same plant, but OEM rejects are sold to DV8 or the supplier is cheapening some element and selling to DV8.