Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:36 am
Apex wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 am

I’m really curious on your thoughts for the DV8 headlights. Let me know, because I may grab a pair too.
Will do.

They’re out for delivery. Apparently a 30 minute install including running the wire for the DRL/halo. Instead of tapping into the wiring harnesses, I’m going to run a wire to the fuse panel and use an add-a-fuse. General consensus is to tie it in to fuse 58 for the passenger side heated seat fuse.

Twice the price of the chinesium Amazon stuff, but about 2/3 of the price of the OEM unit. Quality appears to be on par with OEM. Given her morning commute every day is at 4am this is a no brainer.

Debating which way to go on fogs.

Tow hitch is here, too.

Her dad wanted to buy her a mod as a gift so he’s going to surprise her with the Rough Country tailgate table next week, which will be great to have at the trails when we’re back on the bikes. She doesn’t know that’s coming and I think she’ll love it.

There’s really not much else... which is kind of crazy to say.
You can check out my BDs whenever they show up. :lol:

Sounds like a solid LED headlight option!
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:53 am Already has the Mopar off road recovery kit.
35’s.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:46 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:53 am Already has the Mopar off road recovery kit.
35’s.
Those are for pussies. 40s or might as well drive a Toyota.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:51 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:46 pm

35’s.
Those are for pussies. 40s or might as well drive a Toyota.
Thank god I have that base covered already then.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My neighbors jokingly asked me today if I was a drug dealer, as they complimented the truck when wifey got home. “Isn’t this like the 8th car you’ve had since we moved in? Are you sure you’re not a coke dealer or something?”

“Worse. I work in the car business, remember?”

They moved in just over 4 years ago. In that time it’s been the Silverado, mini, gti, renegade, taco, Corolla, wrangler... so 7. Yikes.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:43 pm My neighbors jokingly asked me today if I was a drug dealer, as they complimented the truck when wifey got home. “Isn’t this like the 8th car you’ve had since we moved in? Are you sure you’re not a coke dealer or something?”

“Worse. I work in the car business, remember?”

They moved in just over 4 years ago. In that time it’s been the Silverado, mini, gti, renegade, taco, Corolla, wrangler... so 7. Yikes.
Drug dealers drive WRXs tho.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So the JL OEM style DV8 headlights arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered them with Zil.

Look great. Just like OEM. Install went well, and the hardest part was getting the lower portion of the front grill to pop out for the first time. I had that grill twisting in directions that was making me sweat.

I was sure to follow the detailed instructions to the hieroglyph.

Once I got them in and pulled the plastic off, I discovered the source of the slight “clunk” in the drivers side housing. The projector seems to have come loose at some point and is hitting the inside of the lens cover.

So out they come, and Zil has the process going to get them replaced.

Apex

So close...
max225

Umm.. chinese lights. ?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:01 pm Umm.. chinese lights. ?
everything’s Chinese, man.

These things are “made”/sold by DV8 off-road, who seem to offer some quality products.

The quality is otherwise pretty good with these and the fit and finish is on par with the OEM light, it just looks like some transportation damage got the better of them... not the first time that’s for sure.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 am
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:01 pm Umm.. chinese lights. ?

These things are “made”/sold by DV8 off-road, who seem to offer some quality products.

The quality is otherwise pretty good with these and the fit and finish is on par with the OEM light, it just looks like some transportation damage got the better of them... not the first time that’s for sure.
Your Jeep isn’t.

$776 seems like an ok price to pay
https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82215136ad.html
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:56 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 am

Your Jeep isn’t.

Yeah, then requires wiring through the firewall into a control unit behind the dash for the halos to work, then a trip to a dealer to have them code the LED’s to the VIN and activate the halo... if you can find one willing to go through the hassle of getting the activation codes from Jeep.

These installed in literally 15 minutes, and actually have turn signal switchbacks built into the halos, so if/when we put different fenders on here, I don’t have to worry about retrofitting turn signals.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:56 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Your Jeep isn’t.

Yeah, then requires wiring through the firewall into a control unit behind the dash for the halos to work, then a trip to a dealer to have them code the LED’s to the VIN and activate the halo... if you can find one willing to go through the hassle of getting the activation codes from Jeep.

These installed in literally 15 minutes, and actually have turn signal switchbacks built into the halos, so if/when we put different fenders on here, I don’t have to worry about retrofitting turn signals.
MORAN OEM engineers!
Apex

Headliner is on the FedEx truck for delivery! :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:15 am Headliner is on the FedEx truck for delivery! :excited:
:excited: :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

It has arrived!
Will bring it with us to the in-laws tomorrow and get it installed. :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 pm It has arrived!
:fuckyeah: :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

You gonna install with the roof on or off?
They say it’s easier on, but I don’t love the idea of roughing it up with sand paper while still mounted and getting that fine dust everywhere inside the cabin..
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:28 pm
They say it’s easier on, but I don’t love the idea of roughing it up with sand paper while still mounted and getting that fine dust everywhere inside the cabin..
Take the doors off.

I wouldn't take the top off to install, setting it on its top seems like a serious opportunity for damage.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

5 dollar plastic painters sheet at Lowe's brah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Gladiator has less area, install is done keeping the roof on. That’s what I’m gonna do. Worst comes to worst and the doors come off to clean it. :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:36 pm I'd honestly wait for a warm day so the adhesive sets better.
I asked about this and they sent me their cold weather install instructions.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/pages/col ... stallation

:notbad:
Apex

JT update: headliner install went well! Super stoked with the feel of the JT on the inside now. Might be a slight reduction in wind noise, but will get a better feeling over the next couple weeks.

In other news, Long Range America makes an auxiliary fuel tank for an additional 17gallons. :megusta:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:09 pm JT update: headliner install went well! Super stoked with the feel of the JT on the inside now. Might be a slight reduction in wind noise, but will get a better feeling over the next couple weeks.

In other news, Long Range America makes an auxiliary fuel tank for an additional 17gallons. :megusta:
Pics or :gtfo:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:09 pm JT update: headliner install went well! Super stoked with the feel of the JT on the inside now. Might be a slight reduction in wind noise, but will get a better feeling over the next couple weeks.

Really curious to hear more about overall road noise reduction. Our JL is incredibly quiet for what it is with the factory headliner.