Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:34 pm

:pouroneout: for :mahtroy:

He seems to be full on snow road biking despite all of the cold bitching, which is :mindblown: .
He'll only return when he's faster and fitter than me.
I don't think he'll ever even get to my level sadly, so see ya never, buddy :disappoint:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:50 pm

He'll only return when he's faster and fitter than me.
I don't think he'll ever even get to my level sadly, so see ya never, buddy :disappoint:
Never say never. From gold coin clenching cuck to alpha male poon slayer. I believe in :mahtroy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:51 pm

Never say never. From gold coin clenching cuck to alpha male poon slayer. I believe in :mahtroy:
I want to believe.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:35 pm
So faster and fitter than me and more poon than :[user not found]:

:lolol:

That will be a transformation to behold.
:dat: :popcorn: Would be epic to see.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Is there a good aftermarket solution for storing roof panels in the bed of a JT? Asking for a friend.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am Is there a good aftermarket solution for storing roof panels in the bed of a JT? Asking for a friend.
Not really. Just put them in the bag and let it ride in the bed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am Is there a good aftermarket solution for storing roof panels in the bed of a JT? Asking for a friend.
Get a fabric targa top that folds if you're really taking the panels off that often.
Bestop makes one...and I've really debated it for the JL. Problem is, it makes it as loud as a soft top inside, and it's a bit of an involved install to do seasonally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just get a soft top? It really is perfectly great unless you live in an extremely windy climate.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 am Just get a soft top? It really is perfectly great unless you live in an extremely windy climate.
Really tough if you live in a place that gets cold or do a lot oh highway driving, the soft top is not great.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My friend in question does trips from VA to their cabin in Montana, and wants the hardtop for reasons, and wanted to keep the panels in the bed in case of pop up showers while there. But if they come with a bag and they won't get damaged driving around with them in there I'll let him know.

He would also consider the power top JL but is worried about dirt and dust exposure to the roof
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm My friend in question does trips from VA to their cabin in Montana, and wants the hardtop for reasons, and wanted to keep the panels in the bed in case of pop up showers while there. But if they come with a bag and they won't get damaged driving around with them in there I'll let him know.

He would also consider the power top JL but is worried about dirt and dust exposure to the roof
All hardtop JL/T come with a large thick vinyl storage bag for the panels. It's a bit cumbersome to get the panels in the bag, but once they're in, they're protected and can be strapped in the bed to keep from sliding around.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm My friend in question does trips from VA to their cabin in Montana, and wants the hardtop for reasons, and wanted to keep the panels in the bed in case of pop up showers while there. But if they come with a bag and they won't get damaged driving around with them in there I'll let him know.

It's pretty darn robust, only thing is the vinyl windows could get scraped up. I would honestly skip a Wrangler for trips from Virginia to Montana, but if he's set on it, the hardtop is definitely the right choice.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 pm

It's pretty darn robust, only thing is the vinyl windows could get scraped up. I would honestly skip a Wrangler for trips from Virginia to Montana, but if he's set on it, the hardtop is definitely the right choice.
Before kids they did the trip in a 2 door JK manual, with only HT and A/C as options.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 pm

Before kids they did the trip in a 2 door JK manual, with only HT and A/C as options.
:impressive: that a woman would go for that.

I drove to pick up Cook Out the other night in the :poorvette: and Allison came along. She hasn't been in it in months and exclaimed "I can't believe you and Maxx drove this to New Hampshire". She was pleased with the Beep Beep though, so maybe a JK would get a pass.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My friend that rode down to NC with me in mine said it was really comfy for the ride. She's whack

The JK was his wife's choice. Spec and everything.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Alright brahs. Zero ARB parts for my 2003 Tahoe. Momwagon so GTFO. AEV, Momwagon. FO.

Decent manufacturer for Bumpers and a mild lift?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:50 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm Alright brahs. Zero ARB parts for my 2003 Tahoe. Momwagon so GTFO. AEV, Momwagon. FO.

Just do the AEV stuff, or Mopar stuff. High quality and well engineered.

We are talking about a Wrongler, right?
NO. I'm trying to Mexify my 20 year old Soccer Mom Wagon. It his HARD times.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:54 pm

NO. I'm trying to Mexify my 20 year old Soccer Mom Wagon. It his HARD times.
Apparently you can modify some kind of Toyota ARB bumper to fit?

Any more links to that?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm Alright brahs. Zero ARB parts for my 2003 Tahoe. Momwagon so GTFO. AEV, Momwagon. FO.

:butwhy:

Did my supercharger on a Toyota :fullretard: pondering spark some sort of joy in your mind?
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm

:butwhy:

Did my supercharger on a Toyota :fullretard: pondering spark some sort of joy in your mind?
he needs pushbars, lift, and armor plating for the Mexican vacations
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:57 pm

Apparently you can modify some kind of Toyota ARB bumper to fit?

Any more links to that?
:butwhy: do you need a bumper? What's wrong with stock? What are you planning to do? You need to understand the intended purpose before buying a single part.

The biggest benefit of your Tahoe is it's ability to get parts ANYWHERE in the world. Especially important in Mexico where the GMT800 is king. I'd leave it as stock as possible so it's easy to repair. You don't want to be deep in drug lord country and blow some sort of bespoke fancy shock that has no hope of being replaced without crossing the border.

This is real overlanding talk. Easy to repair is priority #1. Also tires, put the most common tire size imaginable on it, do not follow these idiots "overlanding" for the gram.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 pm My friend that rode down to NC with me in mine said it was really comfy for the ride. She's whack

The JK was his wife's choice. Spec and everything.
Mine is pretty comfy, TBH. I felt fine driving to CT and back, even in the race seat. It is kind of loud in there and gets hot in the trans tunnel, but other than that :thisisfine: . THere were many times on our road trip that I wished I was in the Corvette rather than the Jeep, but mostly I missed my BMW. That thing is the ultimate highway/road trip car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:57 am

Any more links to that?
:butwhy: do you need a bumper? What's wrong with stock? What are you planning to do? You need to understand the intended purpose before buying a single part.

The biggest benefit of your Tahoe is it's ability to get parts ANYWHERE in the world. Especially important in Mexico where the GMT800 is king. I'd leave it as stock as possible so it's easy to repair. You don't want to be deep in drug lord country and blow some sort of bespoke fancy shock that has no hope of being replaced without crossing the border.

This is real overlanding talk. Easy to repair is priority #1. Also tires, put the most common tire size imaginable on it, do not follow these idiots "overlanding" for the gram.
I agree. Also, I'm not familiar with Western Mexico at all, but I would imagine stock flies under the radar significantly better than something with the value of an '03 Tahoe's worth of bumpers and winches and things attached to it.

Also... overlanding? THey do have roads in Mehico, no?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am

I agree. Also, I'm not familiar with Western Mexico at all, but I would imagine stock flies under the radar significantly better than something with the value of an '03 Tahoe's worth of bumpers and winches and things attached to it.

Also... overlanding? THey do have roads in Mehico, no?
Overlanding is a term that's been bastardized for the gram. In olden days, it was simply going to places less travelled and for LONG distances...like Chile to Newfoundland type stuff. Most miles driven on roads, but off-road sections might be required at times due to the remote nature of places. Traditional overlanding views the vehicle as your sole lifeline and as such it needs to be easy to work on but more importantly find parts for if you're in the middle of nowhere. That's why with a GMT800 (that was sold everywhere), keeping it stock means being able to source a part in the middle of Mexico...or if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere and something's wrong with the spare, you should be able to go to any hole in the wall tire shop and get a replacement.

Desertman won't be doing this, but I really think these basic principles should apply. Reliability, ease of repair, and service are paramount. I'd personally avoid anything and everything aftermarket unless it was truly necessary and not a part prone to failure (aftermarket skid plates for example might be a great idea).
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Any more links to that?

Keep in mind we are 25 miles from the BROder. However, I do appreciate your ethos in telling me not to buy a bunch of stupid BROparts. So, my intent on buying that bumper there would be
1. to create more clearance without a lift, the flared edges help a lot on that vs. stock
2. steel bumpers are DURABLE in terms of parking in IDGAF about the condition of my vehicle land
3. I need a platform for MOAR LIGHTS. I think the old school rounds would look better on that truck vs. LED bars, but I entertain discussion on this. Mexico.....she's no fun to drive in at night. Curves that are too sharp, a pretty fair smattering of potholes, lack of shoulders, etc. My stock halogens DO NOT CUT IT, and I'd like to be able to turn on the sun if there is no oncoming traffic. I think this is my biggest issue.

I'm pretty much out on a lift, don't need it, and I just bought a new set up of BFG A/T's in stock size. Happy with them. Noisy from 30-50 mph but they run strong and quiet above that.

Discuss.