Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am
Woman would absolutely lose her mind if I suggested going back to 3 cars. She doesn't care what I get, but absolutely does not want 3 cars for some reason. I don't really care if a beater truck sits outside, but she has an irrational hatred for more than one vehicle per person.

I'm thinking I can get around that objection by agreeing to go full :troywax: on the gourmet appliances she wants. Will probably cost more than a MINI, so she can :stfu: if I decide to go that way.
I told my wife if any more house shit comes home, I am buying a "vintage" Honda. She accepted and said she wouldn't buy more house shit. :popcorn:
I think that's going to be the appliance discussion. I'll :troywax: on appliances, but I'm buying a fun car if we do.

I bet she'll agree to cheaper appliances instead. Then I'm back to square 1.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:50 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:38 am

I have a buddy here looking to sell a 2009 RAM with 5.7 (four door), he's had it a long time, so it should be rust free. Let me know if you want me to connect you guys.
4x4?
It is... he was asking $15K, he told me he decided to keep it as the offers were all around $10K and he wasn't willing to dump it for that.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:50 am
4x4?
It is... he was asking $15K, he told me he decided to keep it as the offers were all around $10K and he wasn't willing to dump it for that.
That is very interesting, intriguing, and tempting. Any idea if your buddy is the type that kept up on maintenance and kept it in decent shape?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:49 am

That is very interesting, intriguing, and tempting. Any idea if your buddy is the type that kept up on maintenance and kept it in decent shape?
He is an engineer/pretty smart dude, I think he did most maintenance himself. The truck is decently clean, it is certainly something that's been used but overall :notbad:

I have no idea what something like this is worth... it seemed his $15K was off base but he seems to feel like if he can't get that out of it, he'd rather keep it. He has had it since 2012ish, he originally traded a 135i for it.

This dude is king of CL trades, he once went: boat > Porsche 944 > "Corvero" (95ish Camaro with LS2 swap and some Corvette goodies) > NB Miata all in straight trades. I'd say he moved up quite a bit from the shitty boat, but the Corvero was truly shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:01 pm
He is an engineer/pretty smart dude, I think he did most maintenance himself. The truck is decently clean, it is certainly something that's been used but overall :notbad:

I have no idea what something like this is worth... it seemed his $15K was off base but he seems to feel like if he can't get that out of it, he'd rather keep it. He has had it since 2012ish, he originally traded a 135i for it.

This dude is king of CL trades, he once went: boat > Porsche 944 > "Corvero" (95ish Camaro with LS2 swap and some Corvette goodies) > NB Miata all in straight trades. I'd say he moved up quite a bit from the shitty boat, but the Corvero was truly shit.
:impressive:

From quick research, $15k is high unless the thing is sub 100k miles and super clean. But these days, no values make sense so :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 pm

From quick research, $15k is high unless the thing is sub 100k miles and super clean. But these days, no values make sense so :iono:
Yeah, I figured given no one would pay what he was wanting. I could check on mileage for you, he seems not all that motivated to sell :doe: , so if you were looking to grab something sub $15K it may not be a match.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah, I figured given no one would pay what he was wanting. I could check on mileage for you, he seems not all that motivated to sell :doe: , so if you were looking to grab something sub $15K it may not be a match.
I don't know what I want to spend. Rust free southern 4x4 trucks sell for a premium here, so $15k probably isn't out of the realm of possibility if the truck checks all the boxes (lower miles, good maintenance, solid condition, bonus if it's not black).

$15k is a ton cheaper than $45k.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:00 am I am on board with mini + truk . Obviously :lolgasm:

Btw how does your woman feel about them ?
Woman would absolutely lose her mind if I suggested going back to 3 cars. She doesn't care what I get, but absolutely does not want 3 cars for some reason. I don't really care if a beater truck sits outside, but she has an irrational hatred for more than one vehicle per person.

I'm thinking I can get around that objection by agreeing to go full :troywax: on the gourmet appliances she wants. Will probably cost more than a MINI, so she can :stfu: if I decide to go that way.
:bs:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: I had this talk with the wife prior to the wedding and she agreed that up to three cars for me was acceptable, four total.

I don't really have the desire to take advantage of this at the moment, but the time may come one day.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm :lolol: I had this talk with the wife prior to the wedding and she agreed that up to three cars for me was acceptable, four total.

I don't really have the desire to take advantage of this at the moment, but the time may come one day.
I had 3 cars when I met the wife, and 4 when we got married. I think she still remembers the days of me waking up early to move the fleet around on the street for sweeping and whatnot. One morning I had to frantically call a buddy to help push my Volvo that didn't want to start as the ticket patrol was barreling down on us with the street sweeper behind. She brings that up more than she should.

She'd always get annoyed when I had to move cars around so she could get her car out at previous houses, which I kind of understand I guess. I've mentioned a two car scenario for me recently and she said "we'll talk about that in a few years". :lolol:

It's honestly just easier to not care about cars, which gets me into my current situation. Trying to not care while grasping on to what little interest I still have is expensive and tiring.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm :lolol: I had this talk with the wife prior to the wedding and she agreed that up to three cars for me was acceptable, four total.

I had 3 cars when I met the wife, and 4 when we got married. I think she still remembers the days of me waking up early to move the fleet around on the street for sweeping and whatnot. One morning I had to frantically call a buddy to help push my Volvo that didn't want to start as the ticket patrol was barreling down on us with the street sweeper behind. She brings that up more than she should.

She'd always get annoyed when I had to move cars around so she could get her car out at previous houses, which I kind of understand I guess. I've mentioned a two car scenario for me recently and she said "we'll talk about that in a few years". :lolol:

It's honestly just easier to not care about cars, which gets me into my current situation. Trying to not care while grasping on to what little interest I still have is expensive and tiring.
I hate that all of us are turning into SIMPS :(
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm

I guess it's just what happens.

I did the single with a bunch of cars thing...ultimately I'd rather have titties in my face on the regular than 4 broken cars taking up the entire driveway. That wasn't really happiness, just a band-aid.

Well, most days...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:28 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm

I did the single with a bunch of cars thing...ultimately I'd rather have titties in my face on the regular than 4 broken cars taking up the entire driveway. That wasn't really happiness, just a band-aid.

Well, most days...
How about 3 non broken cars and titties on your face from some strange. :hubba:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Well, most days...
How about 3 non broken cars and titties on your face from some strange. :hubba:
Cars make terrible company from my experience. Familiar :tits: are better, if only marginally.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is actually pretty :impressive: And TBH the moving cars/ticket patrol/she can't get out of the driveway stories? I got zero problem with her replaying those on the reg.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm

This is actually pretty :impressive: And TBH the moving cars/ticket patrol/she can't get out of the driveway stories? I got zero problem with her replaying those on the reg.
:dat:

There is a middle ground in there somewhere between a bunch of street parked jalopies and just dailying a Ram. I convinced the wife to get a car I wanted in the :jeep: and it does "family" duty so I can have something fun and do track stuff. She really had zero issues with me having the BMW and Corvette, but it was actually really annoying to always have to move cars around. I think there are a lot of seasons in life and in my current, having just one car each makes sense, but I will surely do the two thing again. I don't know that I'd ever really want more than two, it's a lot of work.

These guys I see at NASA events with the huge car hauler/campers and F250s and full on race cars are fucking crazy, unless I was retired and rich, I can't imagine wanting to deal with all of that. But a fun/weekend/track toy + a decent daily? Absolutely.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm

There is a middle ground in there somewhere between a bunch of street parked jalopies and just dailying a Ram. I convinced the wife to get a car I wanted in the :jeep: and it does "family" duty so I can have something fun and do track stuff. She really had zero issues with me having the BMW and Corvette, but it was actually really annoying to always have to move cars around. I think there are a lot of seasons in life and in my current, having just one car each makes sense, but I will surely do the two thing again. I don't know that I'd ever really want more than two, it's a lot of work.

These guys I see at NASA events with the huge car hauler/campers and F250s and full on race cars are fucking crazy, unless I was retired and rich, I can't imagine wanting to deal with all of that. But a fun/weekend/track toy + a decent daily? Absolutely.
I wish we didn't use the fucking pickup so much, then I'd do what you did and just get something fun and let the JL do the all-around duty. I tried to convince :tits: to swap the JL for a JT in the exact same spec, but she said the JT is too long and hard to park. Admittedly, the JL is a lot more maneuverable. I was also too effective at convincing her that full size trucks are too big, so she doesn't want one of those either. In hindsight, I should have pushed her into the Ram when she was considering it last year...but I wanted her to drive everything and she fell in love with the JL as soon as she drove it.

I actually like having only one car for myself. It's easier to keep track of and stay excited about. Splitting time between multiple vehicles can end up being more hassle than it's worth. I miss the C5 a little, but overall am glad to only have one vehicle, but I can't really drive the C5 in multiple feet of snow, so that's not an only car option.

I should buy Johnny's STI...that thing would be so perfect for my needs as an only fun car up here. I guess I could buy a utility trailer and store it somewhere on the property and use that for truck work with the JL. I just hate storing trailers and already have to figure out what to do with the glamper.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:58 pm

I wish we didn't use the fucking pickup so much, then I'd do what you did and just get something fun and let the JL do the all-around duty. I tried to convince :tits: to swap the JL for a JT in the exact same spec, but she said the JT is too long and hard to park. Admittedly, the JL is a lot more maneuverable. I was also too effective at convincing her that full size trucks are too big, so she doesn't want one of those either. In hindsight, I should have pushed her into the Ram when she was considering it last year...but I wanted her to drive everything and she fell in love with the JL as soon as she drove it.

I actually like having only one car for myself. It's easier to keep track of and stay excited about. Splitting time between multiple vehicles can end up being more hassle than it's worth. I miss the C5 a little, but overall am glad to only have one vehicle, but I can't really drive the C5 in multiple feet of snow, so that's not an only car option.

I should buy Johnny's STI...that thing would be so perfect for my needs as an only fun car up here. I guess I could buy a utility trailer and store it somewhere on the property and use that for truck work with the JL. I just hate storing trailers and already have to figure out what to do with the glamper.
I was going to suggest trailer, you beat me to it. STI would be rad :doe:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am Woman would absolutely lose her mind if I suggested going back to 3 cars. she has an irrational hatred for more than one vehicle per person.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Car shuffle does get old, I admit.
But we can get our dailies out no issue, I do have to do some sliding around.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:31 am Woman would absolutely lose her mind if I suggested going back to 3 cars. she has an irrational hatred for more than one vehicle per person.
LOL. The "irrational" hatred gets far more rational if you read his whole post.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 pm

:sass:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Just have a kid and then you can have one car per person.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 pm

It's more of a "Don't look at me, the guy with three vehicles"
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:15 pm Just have a kid and then you can have one car per person.
:hellno:

The world is better off with me not reproducing and having multiple vehicles to boot.