Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 pm
Remember when JL launched, the diesel was mentioned as coming. That was over 2 years ago now. Powertrains are usually planned 3-5 years before production, a lot goes into putting an engine and transmission into a vehicle...
I guess it was probably planned for a 2018 launch but then DISL GAYTE hit and it delayed it into 2020... makes sense.
I wasn't there, but yea...likely a late 2018 or early 2019 introduction that was delayed with all the hoopla.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 pm

I’ll grab one later, but it’s the part the curves up from the fender behind the hood if that makes sense. Can’t believe I did that and forgot to strap the door up after putting it on. Oh well.
Happens without the check strap :|

Do they make cowl covers that actually do something? Or just cosmetic? JL that area added bolts for mounting lights or whatever.
The plastic ones all look like they’re just cosmetic. The ones I found seem to be a decent thickness steel, so should withstand further :derp: moments.

I’ve seen some companies that make little mounting things for lights, but those seem to go on the bottom of the A pillar or whatever runs down the side of the windshield, and they look like they can be installed with these cowl covers on too if I do decide to throw some lights on there one day.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3976302352

I wonder if these would fit without a lift...

:evilplan:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 pm
Happens without the check strap :|

Do they make cowl covers that actually do something? Or just cosmetic? JL that area added bolts for mounting lights or whatever.
The plastic ones all look like they’re just cosmetic. The ones I found seem to be a decent thickness steel, so should withstand further :derp: moments.

I’ve seen some companies that make little mounting things for lights, but those seem to go on the bottom of the A pillar or whatever runs down the side of the windshield, and they look like they can be installed with these cowl covers on too if I do decide to throw some lights on there one day.
Ah yea, JK wasn't quite as useful in that area as JL is. I'm usually not a fan of cosmetic band aids, but in this case it could look :notbad:

I would be a bit concerned about moisture getting trapped under the cover and causing rust over time, but that's probably not a big concern for you where you are, still something to be mindful of when it rains and/or you wash it.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:09 am https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3976302352

BFGs generally run on the smaller side... you might be okay or need a small spacer lift.

#sendit
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:21 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:09 am https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3976302352

BFGs generally run on the smaller side... you might be okay or need a small spacer lift.

#sendit
Exactly...basic research indicates that I could probably get away with a 1.5" level and done.

Truck would look :jimp:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:26 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:21 am

#sendit
Exactly...basic research indicates that I could probably get away with a 1.5" level and done.

Truck would be epic! :doit:

You’ll be on 37s for under $1500. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:26 am

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product ... gladiator/

Seriously would be epic.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 am

Seriously would be epic.
Includes the ProCal. :nice:
That’s a really great package for the price. :like:

Whip out that credit card and let’s go!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 am

Seriously would be epic.

I know right?
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:34 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am

I know right?
Damn, shows “Out of Stock”
:disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:39 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:34 am
I know right?
Damn, shows “Out of Stock”
:disappoint:
I noticed that. AEV can't produce anything it seems. They still aren't offering the JL bumper yet...was shown 2 years ago now.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'd probably just slap the tires on with no lift and see what happens. Would probably be fine on the road, but the fenders would be :doomed: offroad.

I'm too :scrooge: for any of this, just enjoy the daydreaming.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 am I'd probably just slap the tires on with no lift and see what happens. Would probably be fine on the road, but the fenders would be :doomed: offroad.

Damn it, you got me all excited. :sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 am I'd probably just slap the tires on with no lift and see what happens. Would probably be fine on the road, but the fenders would be :doomed: offroad.

Damn it, you got me all excited. :sad:
Yea....too much uncertainty right now to light money on fire for the sake of fun. We've got some bigger decisions taking priority at the moment.

:| Adulting.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

You should :doit:

It would give the :jeep: :truk: even more staying power and actually save you money in the end since you will keep the car.

:plac: :math: :science:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am

You should :doit:

It would give the :jeep: :truk: even more staying power and actually save you money in the end since you will keep the car.

:plac: :math: :science:
:lolgasm:

That's some major :plac: logic right there.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:12 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:06 pm

Ah yea, JK wasn't quite as useful in that area as JL is. I'm usually not a fan of cosmetic band aids, but in this case it could look :notbad:

I would be a bit concerned about moisture getting trapped under the cover and causing rust over time, but that's probably not a big concern for you where you are, still something to be mindful of when it rains and/or you wash it.
It’s a little bit of a concern, since this metal one requires you to drill into the cowl itself, but I’ll hit that with touch up paint, and then I was thinking of putting a thin layer of neoprene rubber adhesive between the cowl and the cover. Stick it on the backside of the cover so the rubber is facedown on the cowl/paint of the Jeep. Thoughts?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:14 am

It’s a little bit of a concern, since this metal one requires you to drill into the cowl itself, but I’ll hit that with touch up paint, and then I was thinking of putting a thin layer of neoprene rubber adhesive between the cowl and the cover. Stick it on the backside of the cover so the rubber is facedown on the cowl/paint of the Jeep. Thoughts?
Can you double sided tape them?
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 am

Can you double sided tape them?
I probably could. All of the plastic ones and one other metal one I saw all come with double sided tape instead
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, I like the idea of forming a gasket to keep water out, could use a variety of things for that.

I'd be a little more :notsure: about drilling :doe: That's some commitment. A double-sided tape plastic one might be a bit better. Biggest thing is to protect the cowl in case you forget the check straps again.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dammit, the world is against my wallet...I love the upgraded JT wheels..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 4762219762
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 am

Yea, I like the idea of forming a gasket to keep water out, could use a variety of things for that.

I'd be a little more :notsure: about drilling :doe: That's some commitment. A double-sided tape plastic one might be a bit better. Biggest thing is to protect the cowl in case you forget the check straps again.
Yeah I’ll look around for other ideas before I pull the trigger on anything permanent that requires drilling.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am Dammit, the world is against my wallet...I love the upgraded JT wheels..

:doit:

You could probably sell the ones on your :truk: if you got these wheels and the other tires? Or is that a no on the lease?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am Dammit, the world is against my wallet...I love the upgraded JT wheels..

:doit:

You could probably sell the ones on your :truk: if you got these wheels and the other tires? Or is that a no on the lease?
It's a big no on the lease, but if I keep it :aintcare: What I'm debating is those wheels with the 37" tires probably have excellent resale value. I'd keep the ones on the truck in case I decide to turn it back in, and I could probably sell the 37's for what I'd have in them ~$1,700.

If I keep the truck, I could sell the the stock wheels and tires to a Sport owner for ~$500-$800