Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:49 pm

I will have a look at the SRT GC. The simple fact though is that my woman likes wheeling a big ass truck around. I feel kind of bad? I mean, a 440i or a C6GS is a decent car selection whilst she pilots a 17 year old truck but she literally gives zero fucks. So she gets taken care of next. And the steering and ride of a Wrangler is not her jam.
SRT GC would be an impressive upgrade from the ol’ Tahoe.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:49 pm

I will have a look at the SRT GC. The simple fact though is that my woman likes wheeling a big ass truck around. I feel kind of bad? I mean, a 440i or a C6GS is a decent car selection whilst she pilots a 17 year old truck but she literally gives zero fucks. So she gets taken care of next. And the steering and ride of a Wrangler is not her jam.
For sure but she likes the interior space of the Tahoe/Denali. What she really likes is for me to drive while she spreads out phone, maps, organized trip folders/binders, and other assorted reading material. Like Erwin Rommel in shotgun seat.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:31 pm

They may be massive, but I drove a buddy's Tahoe Premier with the 6.2 and the ten speed........and it was a luxurious and reasonably quick vehicle. That's a rare truck though, much more common are the 2018 and up Denalis with the same powertrain, which are starting to fall in price
Oh yea, 6.2 and 10 speed is a great powertrain in those things.
I want a 6.2 10 speed sedan
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:55 pm

For sure but she likes the interior space of the Tahoe/Denali. What she really likes is for me to drive while she spreads out phone, maps, organized trip folders/binders, and other assorted reading material. Like Erwin Rommel in shotgun seat.
:nice:
Excellent co-pilot there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:13 pm
:butwhy:

Those are massive vehicles now and will likely end up the same price as the 392 bro JL. For just the two of you, a JL would work great IMO.
I will likely give it a shot but as her primary driver? Gonna be a hard no dawg. More likely going to be something I would trade the Corvette in on. In addition to the MX thang, I (we) are looking at a condo in the Durango, CO area to split with a friend of mine, and that's where the Jeep would shine.
I was able to convince mine to DD a Wrangler. I'll report back if it ever comes back to bite me. She wanted an SUV and a convertible though, so it was easy enough to get it done.

That said, I can see why a normal person wouldn't want to pilot one daily. I really like the Jeep experience a lot but it is a laughably poor driving car. The only vehicles I've ever driven that are worse were older Wranglers, large things like the Bang Bus, and my buddy's C3 Corvette. My dad's '68 Citroen handled quite a bit better than the JL.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:06 pm

I will likely give it a shot but as her primary driver? Gonna be a hard no dawg. More likely going to be something I would trade the Corvette in on. In addition to the MX thang, I (we) are looking at a condo in the Durango, CO area to split with a friend of mine, and that's where the Jeep would shine.
I was able to convince mine to DD a Wrangler. I'll report back if it ever comes back to bite me. She wanted an SUV and a convertible though, so it was easy enough to get it done.

That said, I can see why a normal person wouldn't want to pilot one daily. I really like the Jeep experience a lot but it is a laughably poor driving car. The only vehicles I've ever driven that are worse were older Wranglers, large things like the Bang Bus, and my buddy's C3 Corvette. My dad's '68 Citroen handled quite a bit better than the JL.
:micdrop:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

I took a 100% hands off approach to the :tits: car buying experience. She drove a Ram, a Grand Cherokee, a Compass, a Cherokee, and the JL. The JL was far and away her favorite, and that was a-ok by me. She frequently takes the top panels off on her own, and I've asked her if she notices how bad it steers and she said no, and it's part of the experience. She's stated many times during household budget discussions that she'll cut :mindblown: things out (wine, travel, eating out, all her top priority things) to keep the JL. She claims she'll drive it into the ground and can't imagine wanting anything else. It was expensive, but if it really does stay around forever then :aintcare:

She does agree that interior space utilization could be a lot better, and for road trips, it is tough to lay things out like breh described. That I can see being a legit thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

I took a 100% hands off approach to the :tits: car buying experience. She drove a Ram, a Grand Cherokee, a Compass, a Cherokee, and the JL. The JL was far and away her favorite, and that was a-ok by me. She frequently takes the top panels off on her own, and I've asked her if she notices how bad it steers and she said no, and it's part of the experience. She's stated many times during household budget discussions that she'll cut :mindblown: things out (wine, travel, eating out, all her top priority things) to keep the JL. She claims she'll drive it into the ground and can't imagine wanting anything else. It was expensive, but if it really does stay around forever then :aintcare:

She does agree that interior space utilization could be a lot better, and for road trips, it is tough to lay things out like breh described. That I can see being a legit thing.
The back hatch is smaller than it looks for sure with the roll bars. It doesn't really have any more usable space than my 328i, but they are also about the same foot print so :ohwell: Just have to pack less :bs: , just difficult with car camping as there are all kinds of accessories that are nice to have.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:33 pm

The back hatch is smaller than it looks for sure with the roll bars. It doesn't really have any more usable space than my 328i, but they are also about the same foot print so :ohwell: Just have to pack less :bs: , just difficult with car camping as there are all kinds of accessories that are nice to have.
The JL was plenty big for car camping. I had a giant duffel bag plus a small cooler and tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc and tons of room back there to spare. The 2 door would have been tougher but still do able with only 2 people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:34 pm

The JL was plenty big for car camping. I had a giant duffel bag plus a small cooler and tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc and tons of room back there to spare. The 2 door would have been tougher but still do able with only 2 people.
One person though, and one who doesn't happen to have :tits:

Our :doge: takes up most of the back seat with his hammock thing. We do tote some unneeded items like our inflatable kayaks/oars, but it can fill up quick with things like chairs, tents, EZ ups, stoves, coolers...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The 2 door doesn't have a trunk. It doesn't even fit a shopping bag for groceries back there. 4 door is completely fine, I never understood the "lack of space" arguments about the JLU. Other than the headroom...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm

The 2 door doesn't have a trunk. It doesn't even fit a shopping bag for groceries back there. 4 door is completely fine, I never understood the "lack of space" arguments about the JLU. Other than the headroom...
If I had a 2 door I’d just take the useless back seat out entirely. Do that and the cargo area is similar to a JLU with the rear seats up.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:42 pm

Our :doge: takes up most of the back seat with his hammock thing. We do tote some unneeded items like our inflatable kayaks/oars, but it can fill up quick with things like chairs, tents, EZ ups, stoves, coolers...
Yeah true a lot of that takes up a ton of room. I guess I just pack lighter. My entire kitchen including pot, pan, entire stove, all cookware, cutting board, spices, and cleaning stuff packed into basically a shoe box.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:00 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm

If I had a 2 door I’d just take the useless back seat out entirely. Do that and the cargo area is similar to a JLU with the rear seats up.
Yep and I guess you can "fold it up" in that peculiar jeep way.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Yeah that was always curious to me. I guess if you’re out shopping and didn’t remove the seat it’s helpful? Maybe? Or maybe it just crushes all your chips which thankfully are double bagged separately.

Yeah I couldn’t do the 2 door because of the pup. That would be a nightmare because the opening is ridiculous to try and wedge yourself back there and it means I’d have to roll around with that damn seat installed.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:05 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Yeah that was always curious to me. I guess if you’re out shopping and didn’t remove the seat it’s helpful? Maybe? Or maybe it just crushes all your chips which thankfully are double bagged separately.

Yeah I couldn’t do the 2 door because of the pup. That would be a nightmare because the opening is ridiculous to try and wedge yourself back there and it means I’d have to roll around with that damn seat installed.
The rear 2 seats aren't bad, but it feels pretty claustrophobic. And this is coming from someone with a mini. But I guess the roof comes off.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pm

The rear 2 seats aren't bad, but it feels pretty claustrophobic. And this is coming from someone with a mini. But I guess the roof comes off.
Yeah no thanks. Especially when there is a Very reasonable 4 door option available. I did enjoy the 2 door more though. It felt more jeepy in a good way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've ridden in the two doors (JK) quite a bit and I think it's fine back there. The issue as you pointed out, is that if you do that there's no room for even a duffel bag or something. Even for two people and a :doge: , the two door wouldn't really work for any sort of trip.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeah true a lot of that takes up a ton of room. I guess I just pack lighter. My entire kitchen including pot, pan, entire stove, all cookware, cutting board, spices, and cleaning stuff packed into basically a shoe box.
Yeah, my wife is... not a light packer. It is always nice when we get somewhere and have... everything. It makes loading up the car tough though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:38 am

I've ridden in the two doors (JK) quite a bit and I think it's fine back there. The issue as you pointed out, is that if you do that there's no room for even a duffel bag or something. Even for two people and a :doge: , the two door wouldn't really work for any sort of trip.
Yea I was sort appalled when I realized it has less space back there than my clown car. the front situation is pretty decent. I liked the 2 door, it is also far more capable off road, although far worse riding.
Johnny_P

Oh wow another comment about space for things in the JLU.

The back of these things is a box. You can't really do any better other than a useless truck bed for cramming shit in. I found the JL easy to secure things to, pile up, etc. All that open area and roll bars meant that bungee cording things or hanging stuff or even just stuffing it to the side was super easy.

Up front had plenty of room for bullshit too. Deep cupholders, good pockets, dash top cup, phone holder, deep center console that could easily hold all the rest of my things... what's missing?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:37 pm

The back of these things is a box. You can't really do any better other than a useless truck bed for cramming shit in. I found the JL easy to secure things to, pile up, etc. All that open area and roll bars meant that bungee cording things or hanging stuff or even just stuffing it to the side was super easy.

Up front had plenty of room for bullshit too. Deep cupholders, good pockets, dash top cup, phone holder, deep center console that could easily hold all the rest of my things... what's missing?
Biggest beef is with the center console and the size of the cupholders. She has a largeish Yeti bottle she takes with her everywhere that doesn't fit...anything larger than a 12oz soda bottle or the like won't fit. The cell phone holder is right in the middle of the cups, which makes that space even more crowded, while there's a worthless hand operated parking brake taking up what could be great space for a phone or purse or the like.

The back and rear is great. I'm particularly into the JT that has multiple storage spaces behind the rear seat, and a cylinder lock on the top to lock the seats if the top is off.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Biggest beef is with the center console and the size of the cupholders. She has a largeish Yeti bottle she takes with her everywhere that doesn't fit...anything larger than a 12oz soda bottle or the like won't fit. The cell phone holder is right in the middle of the cups, which makes that space even more crowded, while there's a worthless hand operated parking brake taking up what could be great space for a phone or purse or the like.

The back and rear is great. I'm particularly into the JT that has multiple storage spaces behind the rear seat, and a cylinder lock on the top to lock the seats if the top is off.
Ah. Interesting. Yeah nowhere good for a mondo water bottle.

Yeah the Tiguan had an electronic parking brake. It was a tiny window switch type thing. I don’t know why everyone gets so bent out of shape about them. It’s easy to live with and frees up a lot of space.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 pm

Yeah the Tiguan had an electronic parking brake. It was a tiny window switch type thing. I don’t know why everyone gets so bent out of shape about them. It’s easy to live with and frees up a lot of space.
Automatic transmissions make the parking brake redundant for many people, an electronic park brake would be just fine and free up a ton of space. I also think the shifter joystick should just be buttons on the dash, that space could still be used for a :manuel: but autos could get a nice deep bin there for large water bottle storage.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 pm

How do you perform an epic handbrake turn with a little flippy switch? :disgust: