Who Do You Use For Insurance?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So I need to combine :tits: and I onto one auto policy to save some units.

I've been with Amica for my entire driving career. They never raise my rates and provide good customer service. I've never made a claim, so :iono: how that would be, but they're consistently ranked highly.

WIfe has used Geico. I'd assume we could go that route for a bit less. Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with a company? I don't really want to sign on with someone new to save $30/month or whatever if they will just raise the rate in a year and/or suck if an incident ever occurs.

THoughts?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Allstate.

The car insurance is good but high, the bundled house insurance is cheap af by comparison with 2% hurricant deductible (unheardof here)

My advice would be to get it all under one roof, the discounts are real. If you are not required to carry named storm coverage I suspect state farm will be best bet.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am Allstate.

The car insurance is good but high, the bundled house insurance is cheap af by comparison with 2% hurricant deductible (unheardof here)

My advice would be to get it all under one roof, the discounts are real. If you are not required to carry named storm coverage I suspect state farm will be best bet.
Yes...definitely find one company to combine house and car under.

We're with State Farm...same agent I've been with since I was 16.

When we moved to Detroit (the city), car insurance with State Farm was :fullretard: I kept my house with them and took the penalty of moving the cars to Progressive, which like Geico, was quite a bit cheaper.

That was well and good until the wife got rear ended. Deemed 100% not her fault, I wanted to see what it would cost to fix the car under insurance, so I filed a claim. After going to a few body shops, I heard the routine story of how bad progressive is to deal with. They force body shops to use used or off-brand replacement parts, take forever to pay, and tend to raise rates.

I decided to fix the car myself and cancelled the claim. Progressive paid me $0 for the claim.

At the next renewal, our rates DOUBLED. I contacted Progressive and waited on hold with a call center for what felt like an hour, only to be told that the "system" calculates rates so there's nothing they could do, but that the crash (that was 100% not the wife's fault as proven in the police report) likely deemed us higher risk. I gave them the middle finger, and switched back to State Farm where the rates were now cheaper, and then saved a good portion on the house insurance. I also can easily get a hold of someone at the office if need be, and they're always knowledgeable and easy to work with. Cant' say the same for Progressive.

I would absolutely stick with a more major insurer. State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc. These "discount" companies like Progressive and Geico make clever commercials just to fuck people over if you ever need their services.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am Allstate.

Yes...definitely find one company to combine house and car under.

I would absolutely stick with a more major insurer. State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc. These "discount" companies like Progressive and Geico make clever commercials just to fuck people over if you ever need their services.
Quoting the highlights here.
We've had decent luck with AAA for cars, :haus: , and a pretty cheap liability umbrella for the last several years. As for claim filing, we got hammered by a hail storm in 2017 and got a new $25k roof no questions asked, and :tits: had a small fender [user not found] (her fault :disappoint: ) and AAA took care of it - $1700 iirc to fix the other car - with zero involvement on our part with no increase in rate. In fact, the only way we knew it was handled was when we bought her H and got a call from an insurance company looking for business and they told me about her claim. :wtf:
After a rate increase this year I shopped Allstate and State Farm and AAA was still cheaper overall. I'll likely shop them again next year just because rate creep is a real thing.

ymmv
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

State Farm last decade
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I had Mercury for years and was happy with them.

Been with Geico since I got the :jeep: and no complaints so far.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

AAA. Vehicle insurance is hardly anything. Homeowners was an interesting story. My fiancee has wawnesa car insurance so she was called them abouta home insurance quote. They asked about what kind of dogs we had and when she said we had a rottweiler belgian shepherd mix they said they donyt insure people with those dogs. Like there's no premium to pay. They do NOT offer insurance. Soooooo fuck wawanesa. Home is on AAA. We have only been in this house less than a year so I cat say if it has gone up or not.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

State Farm for everything since I was 16. Reasonable rates, and a handful of claims with no issues, no fighting.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Progressive. Have had a bunch of claims through them over the years and never had a problem.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:21 pm Progressive. Have had a bunch of claims through them over the years and never had a problem.
You are very lucky. OR maybe it varies by state. I hate Progressive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:21 pm Progressive. Have had a bunch of claims through them over the years and never had a problem.
I use quality shops, not Pedro's Discount Autobody. All OEM parts, no questions asked, and Progressive has always paid it and my rates have never been increased after an accident.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm
I use quality shops, not Pedro's Discount Autobody. All OEM parts, no questions asked, and Progressive has always paid it and my rates have never been increased after an accident.
:impressive:
:unicorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Been on the Geico ship and my family always stayed with them ever since we moved here. We never had any issues and as do I.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

We have USAA. They are excellent. For a brief period of time we had 4 cars insured, the house, and a 2M umbrella for $688/month. The addition of a 17 year old to that policy upped the ante almost $200/month. Crotchfruit for the loss.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Earthquake Insurance is included in that quote. If I actually had to use it I would probably be filing my claim from Waxer's garage in Hurricane loading shells for the Zombie Apocalypse, but I am clarifying my rates.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm
Same here. Have had progressive for well over 10 years. I had to switch my agent to the one that covers my homeowner insurance, but they are backed by Progressive so it wasn't like I was starting out as a new account or anything. Just had to move the cars over to them. Haven't had a problem with them, but I only really had to deal with them once when my Blazer got broken into and they stole 2X 12s in boxes and my amp, and broke half my dashboard ripping the cd player out. On top of a broken side window.
All I had was pictures of the boxes and estimates of what I paid for them from Craigslist, and a receipt for the new side window.
Adjuster came out, took pics, no questions asked really... 3 days later got a check for $600 and my rates never really went up.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

We're using State Farm now for the daily drivers and home. We had Liberty Mutual briefly, but they raised their rates for no reason and became expensive as hell.

I use Grundy for the collector vehicle policy. I've been with them since 2013 and they've been great. Only had one claim for a windshield and the process was easy.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I have Geico. While they're not the greatest, I think the bigger issue is finding a quality body shop if you ever had to use them for a claim. I had issues with them on repairs they did to my :mk6: but that was through their recommended shop which I'll never do again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Apex
Drives: Abominable

I have Mercury for both rigs and renters insurance. They’ve been 5/7 with the :jeep: claim. We picked the shop, they sent the shop a check directly, and they got Geico to pay up so I’m getting the deductible back. :notbad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 pm Cincinnati Financial. Good service. Good rates. Have the house, the cars, and personal liability through them.
Used them for a long time, but a couple years ago they wanted to jack our homeowner insurance rates, so we switched to Met-Life. When we bought the new house, Nationwide ended up giving us the best rates for our desired coverage limits + an umbrella policy, though. No idea how they'll be if we ever have an issue. CinFin was great the two times my MK6 GTI got hit and I wasn't at fault, doe. OEM parts, no rate increases, no BS.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Ended up getting a couple of quotes. Right now with Amica I pay $1400, if I add the wife, it'll be $1800 (annually).

Geico is $1010, AAA is $1250.

I think I will call Amica and see if we can get this reduced at all, I'd be happy to stay with them, but at 50% more... tough pill to swallow. Back when I only had the C5 I recall cross shopping and Amica was actually in the more affordable end of things, just me single with the :poorvette: was like $650/year.

I have never been in a wreck and gotten one 44 in a 35 ticket since I've carried my own policy starting about 10 years ago.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 am Ended up getting a couple of quotes. Right now with Amica I pay $1400, if I add the wife, it'll be $1800 (annually).

I think I will call Amica and see if we can get this reduced at all, I'd be happy to stay with them, but at 50% more... tough pill to swallow. Back when I only had the C5 I recall cross shopping and Amica was actually in the more affordable end of things, just me single with the :poorvette: was like $650/year.

I have never been in a wreck and gotten one 44 in a 35 ticket since I've carried my own policy starting about 10 years ago.
Is that combined with homeowners? You can get some :impressive: discounts when you combine home and auto.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 am Ended up getting a couple of quotes. Right now with Amica I pay $1400, if I add the wife, it'll be $1800 (annually).

Is that combined with homeowners? You can get some :impressive: discounts when you combine home and auto.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
SAWCE

I just got an email from Geico last night. 15% off insurance premiums for any policy renewals or new policies between April 8 and October 7.

If anyone is looking to switch and their insurance isn’t providing some sort of Corona virus relief, Geico could be the right move.
SAWCE