Gberg has a VW problem

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:33 pm

That whole discussion, on the MK5 and MK6 boards, of DSG's actually being automated manuals so you can call them manual transmissions was epic retard. It shifts itself it's therefore an automatic you fucking dolt.
Ahh yes our local car page had some save the manuals posts by a dsgay leg humper along with "manual Mondays". "It has clutches do it's a manual". So does my fucking snowmobile. He refused to let anyone else have their opinions. Dsgay was manual and that was :fax:
No clutch pedal = no manual. Period.

Is this girl driving a manual too? Is that bag a manual?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

That whole discussion, on the MK5 and MK6 boards, of DSG's actually being automated manuals so you can call them manual transmissions was epic retard. It shifts itself it's therefore an automatic you fucking dolt.
Ahh yes our local car page had some save the manuals posts by a dsgay leg humper along with "manual Mondays". "It has clutches do it's a manual". So does my fucking snowmobile. He refused to let anyone else have their opinions. Dsgay was manual and that was :fax:
:lolol:

I always loved arguing this.
"But it has clutches, and I can shift it myself."
Bro I can shift a 1992 Camry automatic by myself does that make it a manual trans? Also show me how you manually move a selector fork and engage a gear, and manually operate the clutch.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Searching for Porsches, filtering on Manual trans and seeing PDKs makes me :triggered:.
Technically DSG and PDK are dual clutch.

Automated manual indicates a single clutch where an actuator engages and disengages the clutch.

Note: this is largely semantics, and I don't believe automated manuals (as described above) exist in the automotive world.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:33 pm That whole discussion, on the MK5 and MK6 boards, of DSG's actually being automated manuals so you can call them manual transmissions was epic retard. It shifts itself it's therefore an automatic you fucking dolt.

Automated manual indicates a single clutch where an actuator engages and disengages the clutch.

Note: this is largely semantics, and I don't believe automated manuals (as described above) exist in the automotive world.
Toyota had one called SMT on the MR2 Spyder. IIRC many of the older supercars had them too. All of them are pretty much worthless now compared to their :manuel: counterparts.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:22 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 pm https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =260969738

Probably already been mentioned?

Nvm ad said manual :rage:
I'm amazed at the epic depreciation of these things. I should legit look into one. An xdrive 340i non-Msport could be awesome for what I want. Just slap a rack and a pair of bike carriers on the roof and done. More than I want to spend I guess. And the depreciation on these just doesn't stop until it hits $8k.
They're pretty great cruisers to be sure, I :wub: it for days when the :poorvette: is too much.

Depreciation is real :doe: , bought new for $42K, bought by me with 15K miles for $21.6K, got offer from webuyanycar.com last night for $12.5K now that it has 31K miles :mahtroy: :nope:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Dual clutch, CVT, planetary gear, :whocares: it's all in the world of an automatically functioning transmission that only requires the user to select forward or backward.

An argument could possibly be made for SMG. But even that had a computer that would operate everything on its own. So it's not like it required anything other than selecting D and using just a go and stop pedal for the entire remainder of the drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:56 pm
4zilch wrote:

Toyota had one called SMT on the MR2 Spyder. IIRC many of the older supercars had them too. All of them are pretty much worthless now compared to their :manuel: counterparts.
:dat: If buying any car new, option the :manuel: if it's available and you care about resale. I can't think of a single car where it doesn't command a significant premium.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:56 pm
4zilch wrote:

:dat:

They’re s’thuper slow. Rowing your own gears in comparison is significantly quicker
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

On a slow car, I think I still prefer to row my own, but a well tuned auto on a quick car like the SS or Mustang doesn’t hurt the experience IMO
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:45 pm On a slow car, I think I still prefer to row my own, but a well tuned auto on a quick car like the SS or Mustang doesn’t hurt the experience IMO
I could see a quick track car being pretty fun with some sort of DCT... I like :manuel: on ze mean streets.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

4L60Es have clutches, too. Lots of them.

Must be a super manual.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

@gberg here you go.....

Certified Pre-Owned 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI S Hatchback in Mechanicsburg #HM004981 | Faulkner Volkswagen
https://www.faulknervolkswagen.com/inve ... u7hm004981

Not a bad break even especially with under 20K farts.... my firstborne will get you the best deal they have to offer, but you'll have to trek to the blessed lands.....
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 pm

4L60Es have clutches, too. Lots of them.

Must be a super manual.
Speaking of 4L60s :rage:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:01 pm

I would bet those people who has boners for DSG doesn't know the concept of how it ACTUALLY works :lol: I feel like the both people who strongly bias trans options are equally as :ludacris:

I swear though, lot of Murican :millennial: think driving a manual is a huge fucking deal or is manly blah blah blah. Everyone in Europe took their driving test with a manual car, my mom drove a manual till she's 45 in a city that has way way way worse traffic than Manhattan, my 85 y/o grandpa still drives manual there to this day. I would pay for these "pro drivers" to watch them doing hill start on steep hills in my hometown in a gutless 80 hp N/A car, no low end torque, let that sink in for a minute.
:dat:
My aunt drove a tiny :manuel: Toyota shitbox in hilly Athens until well into her 80's until she died.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 pm

I'm amazed at the epic depreciation of these things. I should legit look into one. An xdrive 340i non-Msport could be awesome for what I want. Just slap a rack and a pair of bike carriers on the roof and done. More than I want to spend I guess. And the depreciation on these just doesn't stop until it hits $8k.
They're pretty great cruisers to be sure, I :wub: it for days when the :poorvette: is too much.

Depreciation is real :doe: , bought new for $42K, bought by me with 15K miles for $21.6K, got offer from webuyanycar.com last night for $12.5K now that it has 31K miles :mahtroy: :nope:
$12.4k let's shake on it
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

My mini continues on the same epic free fall also, even though it was half of msrp used its going to free fall to Half of that in 2/3 years again... I guess it makes sense :disgust:
max225

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:36 pm @gberg here you go.....

Certified Pre-Owned 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI S Hatchback in Mechanicsburg #HM004981 | Faulkner Volkswagen
https://www.faulknervolkswagen.com/inve ... u7hm004981

Not a bad break even especially with under 20K farts.... my firstborne will get you the best deal they have to offer, but you'll have to trek to the blessed lands.....
Is that like 22/23k new ? 19k for 3 years old seems way too much
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm

No clutch pedal = no manual. Period.

Is this girl driving a manual too? Is that bag a manual?
Man that’s flat
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:50 pm

$12.4k let's shake on it
:nope:

If it’s really worth under $17k I’ll probably just drive it to 100k+ miles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

$12.4k let's shake on it

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

$12.4k let's shake on it

max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:24 am

$12.4k let's shake on it

:plac: :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:30 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:24 am

I’m just not as into :plac: as most here, I think about it, sure, but it’s too expensive to really implement, would rather :troywax: on track time. BMW is a great counter point to the C5 and a very enjoyable road trip vehicle.

I could see tiring of two cars and :plac: to a Hype R, STI, or FuckusRS if we have kids maybe... but nothing compels me at the moment.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:34 am
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:30 am

I’m just not as into :plac: as most here, I think about it, sure, but it’s too expensive to really implement, would rather :troywax: on track time. BMW is a great counter point to the C5 and a very enjoyable road trip vehicle.

I could see tiring of two cars and :plac: to a Hype R, STI, or FuckusRS if we have kids maybe... but nothing compels me at the moment.
There are 0 reasons to sell the 3 then ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:43 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:34 am

There are 0 reasons to sell the 3 then ...
It kind of annoys me that I just don’t use it all that much anymore... but I’m going to wait for a few months and see if I feel I need it.

Contemplating just going back to the C5 again as only car but I’m not in a rush.