Gberg has a VW problem

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 am I love the B/U camera and cross traffic thing in my R, I'd pay for that feature anytime, but think the B/U cam is now mandatory on every car sold new.

Adaptive cruise is kind of neat but I could easily forgo that until it is better refined. Right now I only use if for long highway stretches and admittedly it let's me lower my sense of attention to the road, I just can't actually rely on it ever.

I wouldn't trade my gauges for a screen, I'm really glad to have them and see many complaints about fancy screens moving slowly/blur in cold weather.
Anyone else here just get downright fatigued with all of the screens in our lives? Like, I am damn near blind after being at work for 10 hours on a computer every day, the last thing I want is more forced screen time. :wap:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:48 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 am I love the B/U camera and cross traffic thing in my R, I'd pay for that feature anytime, but think the B/U cam is now mandatory on every car sold new.

Adaptive cruise is kind of neat but I could easily forgo that until it is better refined. Right now I only use if for long highway stretches and admittedly it let's me lower my sense of attention to the road, I just can't actually rely on it ever.

I wouldn't trade my gauges for a screen, I'm really glad to have them and see many complaints about fancy screens moving slowly/blur in cold weather.
Anyone else here just get downright fatigued with all of the screens in our lives? Like, I am damn near blind after being at work for 10 hours on a computer every day, the last thing I want is more forced screen time. :wap:
Yeah I still see okay but I dont want to waste it on a fake speedometer, there is something genuine and value added to a nice cluster
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:49 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 pm

HD touch screen. Backup cam. That's about it.
My RNS510 or whatever it was, was both touch screen and HD. Backup cam can be retrofitted if need be... OEM and everything.
I have the OEM retrofit. Just lazy.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I prefer analog gauges.

Button radios are good too. It gets tough when you try to have the phone integrate with a button radio, in that case a touch screen is great.
Johnny_P

RNS510 display looked just as dumpy as the stock MK6 GTI radio.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm

I prefer analog gauges.

Button radios are good too. It gets tough when you try to have the phone integrate with a button radio, in that case a touch screen is great.
:dat:

This is where I really like the F30 interior for a newer car - no touch anything, individual buttons as well as the click wheel thing, excellent analog gayges. That combined with :nice: seats and :alpo: steering wheel, I am happy.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm RNS510 display looked just as dumpy as the stock MK6 GTI radio.
:wat: it had 2x the pixel density bro
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm

I prefer analog gauges.

This is where I really like the F30 interior for a newer car - no touch anything, individual buttons as well as the click wheel thing, excellent analog gayges. That combined with :nice: seats and :alpo: steering wheel, I am happy.
:dat: while the g20 may look good on the front end, it's tech city. :whocares: about a whole bunch of shit during your 10 mile commute
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 am Creaky doors I fixed with some spray lithium grease on the hinges.
Also lube up the rubber door seals with some Gummipflege, 303 Aerospace protectant, or silicone.
The Gummipflege is good shit, the C5 is seal city with the frameless windows and targa, mine are all in really good shape still in thanks at least partially to that product.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 am Creaky doors I fixed with some spray lithium grease on the hinges.
Also lube up the rubber door seals with some Gummipflege, 303 Aerospace protectant, or silicone.
I don’t plan on getting another creaky VW doe :iono:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:50 am
wap wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Hardly seems like a "lot"...

I mean, why does the touch screen need to be HD? You really shouldn't be looking at it while you drive, and with a hatch with a yuuge window I don't see the need for a backup cam, personally. :iono:
it's more than that

pimp digital dash, capacitive touch screen, parking sensors, ability of tech to see car information.... anyway.

I agree it's not a huge amount of needs list items. I would 100% rather a better drive experience over the tech. the 987.2 cars have great features, just a 2010 era radio. whatever. use your phone.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 am I do think a backup cam would be pretty useful at times, that's the only feature I covet at all, but it's not a need/deal breaker for me by any means.

I used CarPlay on my rented Hyundai recently and it is nice, but I don't really understand the hype. Having to plug in each time destroys the phone battery... my mount allows me to see maps on the phone and then skip track with the car's buttons... I get that Car Play is a bit of an improvement over this, but it's like 10% better IMO, not 100% better.
My wife quickly came to that same conclusion about Android Auto in her new H. It's nice, it works fine, but it's really not worth the small hassle of plugging in each time so she just uses her phone in a vent mount.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 am I do think a backup cam would be pretty useful at times, that's the only feature I covet at all, but it's not a need/deal breaker for me by any means.

I used CarPlay on my rented Hyundai recently and it is nice, but I don't really understand the hype. Having to plug in each time destroys the phone battery... my mount allows me to see maps on the phone and then skip track with the car's buttons... I get that Car Play is a bit of an improvement over this, but it's like 10% better IMO, not 100% better.
My wife quickly came to that same conclusion about Android Auto in her new H. It's nice, it works fine, but it's really not worth the small hassle of plugging in each time so she just uses her phone in a vent mount.
:sissyfight: we can :wap: together.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 pm

:sissyfight: we can :wap: together.
:gaydance: :gaydance:
Johnny_P

If I got a 987.2 or whatever number vomit the older caymans are i would dump the fucking awful navi radio and get a pioneer or alpine stereo. Maybe car play compatible because I like the integrated navi they have.

I’ve used that Porsche button rape head unit before, the one with the Nokia flip phone touch pad on it. And its as bad to interact with as it is to look at it.

At least it’s dumpable tho. Not like some of the newer cars that have all the systems integrated.
Johnny_P

Gberg I’m firmly in the rwd sports coupe arena here. Get it now. It’s not a guarantee you’ll be able to have a kid, or how long it’ll be before you do get her preggers. So enjoy it now. Get the fun mobile and if she aces a pee test you still have 9 months before it comes out to whip up some final donuts or lay the last 11s.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 am Gberg I’m firmly in the rwd sports coupe arena here. Get it now. It’s not a guarantee you’ll be able to have a kid, or how long it’ll be before you do get her preggers. So enjoy it now. Get the fun mobile and if she aces a pee test you still have 9 months before it comes out to whip up some final donuts or lay the last 11s.
:muah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 am If I got a 987.2 or whatever number vomit the older caymans are i would dump the fucking awful navi radio and get a pioneer or alpine stereo. Maybe car play compatible because I like the integrated navi they have.

I’ve used that Porsche button rape head unit before, the one with the Nokia flip phone touch pad on it. And its as bad to interact with as it is to look at it.

At least it’s dumpable tho. Not like some of the newer cars that have all the systems integrated.
:notwrong: but it's a really easy fix. Double DIN is :fuckyeah: ... you could even get a nice new thing every few years for like $300 that will be better than whatever is in a four year old car if you care.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:49 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 am If I got a 987.2 or whatever number vomit the older caymans are i would dump the fucking awful navi radio and get a pioneer or alpine stereo. Maybe car play compatible because I like the integrated navi they have.

:notwrong: but it's a really easy fix. Double DIN is :fuckyeah: ... you could even get a nice new thing every few years for like $300 that will be better than whatever is in a four year old car if you care.
Exactly. Integrated shit is a new car selling point. Being able to dump it easily is a used car selling point.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm

My driver door panel finally just started creaking at 91k
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:iono: A 5+ year old Poorsche with no warranty for a DD is incredibly risky.

She's totally fine with me buying a toy later on down the line though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:11 pm :iono: A 5+ year old Poorsche with no warranty for a DD is incredibly risky.

buy the warranty?
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:11 pm :iono: A 5+ year old Poorsche with no warranty for a DD is incredibly risky.

buy the warranty?
Yeah
Fled can give insight but I think the DI motors are fairly robust. A base 2014 era cayman would be rad as hell. Drives better than almost anything out there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:53 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:29 pm

buy the warranty?
Yeah
Fled can give insight but I think the DI motors are fairly robust. A base 2014 era cayman would be rad as hell. Drives better than almost anything out there.
:dat: and they're actually pretty reliable from what I understand.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm

My driver door panel finally just started creaking at 91k
Mine just started at 170K...my son hit it with some spray they have the dillershit..... problem solved.......