Gberg has a VW problem

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:48 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Can they just pay you to keep it vs you wasting money on the exact same car ?
So what happens when it’s out of warranty and still won’t pass an emissions test because it keeps misfiring and throwing codes? Not to mention the long term durability concerns, and resale down the road.

It’s been having issues that they can’t fix. If a manufacturer is offering to buy a car back and there’s no lawyers involved, even they know this thing is a HUGE lemon. The fact they’re buying it back AND throwing money at him on top of it says enough.

Getting bought out, negotiating a good deal on a MY19 with a dealer, then throwing $2500 on top from VW leaves him in a good position.
I'd personally find it hard to get another of the same car after such a bad experience.

however. choices are limited in this segment. It's WRX sti, golf r, or ? And the golf r is clearly the nicest car.

That being said... I drove dubshows golf r for a couple of days and really didn't care for it for 15k more nopes over a gti. the tech was phenomenal but it just didn't drive like a GTI, in a bad way. turn in was not sharp, idk it just didnt feel right.

Anyway, I'd probably GTI or find another golf r if you love it that much.
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 am

So what happens when it’s out of warranty and still won’t pass an emissions test because it keeps misfiring and throwing codes? Not to mention the long term durability concerns, and resale down the road.

It’s been having issues that they can’t fix. If a manufacturer is offering to buy a car back and there’s no lawyers involved, even they know this thing is a HUGE lemon. The fact they’re buying it back AND throwing money at him on top of it says enough.

Getting bought out, negotiating a good deal on a MY19 with a dealer, then throwing $2500 on top from VW leaves him in a good position.
It’s a mystery ce light that comes on at random not like it’s leaving him stranded on Wintery nights on top of a mountain. Emissions warranties tend to be longer on this type of issue as is.

That said my point was to steer him away from this type of car/brand period. Why give them another go when there is so much other good stuff out there.
In PA with the misfire codes he has, VW only has to cover those failures for 3/36. Spark plugs/injectors are not a listed federal emissions component and are not covered 8/80. If it’s a software issue, it’d be covered with the ECU but they’ve addressed that a few times for him already and the car continues to act up. They simply can’t fix the car.

It’s not about leaving him stranded, it’s about sticking him with mandatory repair bills for something that can’t be fixed to simply keep the car on the road in his state.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:15 am

It’s a mystery ce light that comes on at random not like it’s leaving him stranded on Wintery nights on top of a mountain. Emissions warranties tend to be longer on this type of issue as is.

That said my point was to steer him away from this type of car/brand period. Why give them another go when there is so much other good stuff out there.
In PA with the misfire codes he has, VW only has to cover those failures for 3/36. Spark plugs/injectors are not a listed federal emissions component and are not covered 8/80. If it’s a software issue, it’d be covered with the ECU but they’ve addressed that a few times for him already and the car continues to act up. They simply can’t fix the car.

It’s not about leaving him stranded, it’s about sticking him with mandatory repair bills for something that can’t be fixed to simply keep the car on the road in his state.
As I said, I am not disagreeing, I am simply pointing him to a different vehicle, other than one the manufacturer can't fix through multiple attempts. Seems like getting the same thing again is completely :fullretard:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote:Call up ol’ Hans Gustaf if you’re seriously thinking about an Audi.

Go drive some cars man.
Which :dillerman: is he at again?
fledonfoot wrote:
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Can they just pay you to keep it vs you wasting money on the exact same car ?

Exactly. What's also surprising to me is that this only seems to effect 2017's. I don't remember seeing random misfires on 18's or 19's. 2017's also had the radio issues which I experienced first hand and had to get the module replaced.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:03 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 am

Which :dillerman: is he at again?
Handzer is at Porsche/Audi Warrington. He's a Mangler there now.
Dang. No S3's or S4's. But these are interesting.

https://www.audiwarrington.com/certifie ... 988a6c.htm

https://www.audiwarrington.com/certifie ... 1d3172.htm
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

An SQ5 is actually a really, really good idea. I didn’t realize they could be had around $40 yet.

Perfect fun family car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am with Max on this one... I feel like if I was really concerned enough to off the car due to CEL I'd be walking away from the whole thing entirely.

I am also really far from a 'buy the same car twice' kind of guy, but if you know what works for you, there's nothing :wrong: with it. I should probably see myself out as the :gorf: just doesn't do much for me personally. They are indeed one of the best cars for doing everything well but I like a little drama in my life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:37 am

I'd personally find it hard to get another of the same car after such a bad experience.

however. choices are limited in this segment. It's WRX sti, golf r, or ? And the golf r is clearly the nicest car.

That being said... I drove dubshows golf r for a couple of days and really didn't care for it for 15k more nopes over a gti. the tech was phenomenal but it just didn't drive like a GTI, in a bad way. turn in was not sharp, idk it just didnt feel right.

I agree with this too, GTI looks better than R and is 9/10 of the car for 7/10 the price (I've never driven an R though, so what do I know?)... but I digress.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am An SQ5 is actually a really, really good idea. I didn’t realize they could be had around $40 yet.

Perfect fun family car.
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:28 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:03 am

Handzer is at Porsche/Audi Warrington. He's a Mangler there now.

:doit:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:28 am

:disgust: :disgust: :disgust: :disgust:
:disgust: . :truk: :disgust:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am

:disgust: . :truk: :disgust:
:plaid: truck's are :waxer:
Raptors are cool :doe:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yo Gberg!! My :plac: uncle had one, no issues with the baby seat.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =spotlight
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:48 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:37 am

I agree with this too, GTI looks better than R and is 9/10 of the car for 7/10 the price (I've never driven an R though, so what do I know?)... but I digress.
The diller where I've gotten the last few eggs has 2019 SE GTI's listed at $27k which is about $3k below invoice. How about the depreciation over 3 years on a GTI vs R? $25k GTI vs $36k R.

I know it's :fullretard: to go :gorf: again. These eggs are my safe space. :lol: :(
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am Yo Gberg!! My :plac: uncle had one, no issues with the baby seat.

After everything Fled has said about maintenance on them, they're a big ole :nope:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am Yo Gberg!! My :plac: uncle had one, no issues with the baby seat.

I've heard mixed things about these, many think they are great :doe: I think it would be worth driving one for comparison. I'd definitely take an GLA AMG45 for a spin as well, have heard great things. I rode in a regular GLA and it was nice but a little small inside, I think smaller than a Golf.

@GBerg, what else have you owned car-wise? What are the priorities for you?

If you were closer I'd let you drive my BMW, it could give you a good sense of the shifting, chassis, etc, just add in more powah/luxury and you have an M340i. Have you ever owned RWD?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If you want great warranty/reliability, maybe a :manuel: G70 is worth a test drive?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

https://youtu.be/8bDBJbRypwI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:48 am

The diller where I've gotten the last few eggs has 2019 SE GTI's listed at $27k which is about $3k below invoice. How about the depreciation over 3 years on a GTI vs R? $25k GTI vs $36k R.

I know it's :fullretard: to go :gorf: again. These eggs are my safe space. :lol: :(
In your defense, I think they are the one true best jack-of-all-trades thing, they're practical, luxurious, fun, efficient... most of the competitors just gravitate more towards one or two of those particular things.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 am

I've heard mixed things about these, many think they are great :doe: I think it would be worth driving one for comparison. I'd definitely take an GLA AMG45 for a spin as well, have heard great things. I rode in a regular GLA and it was nice but a little small inside, I think smaller than a Golf.

@GBerg, what else have you owned car-wise? What are the priorities for you?

If you were closer I'd let you drive my BMW, it could give you a good sense of the shifting, chassis, etc, just add in more powah/luxury and you have an M340i. Have you ever owned RWD?
He owned 4 eggs by far. Macan S is already a good alternative for him, and more fun! My uncle didn't had issues with his either and he tuned it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:18 am If you want great warranty/reliability, maybe a :manuel: G70 is worth a test drive?
I'd bang those
max225

Or what about those Kia Stinger GTS things at 15k off or whatever they are selling for now.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 am Or what about those Kia Stinger GTS things at 15k off or whatever they are selling for now.
Still a GDI motor when they still existed when Hyundai and Kia were still shit, :notsure:
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 am Or what about those Kia Stinger GTS things at 15k off or whatever they are selling for now.
Still a GDI motor when they still existed when Hyundai and Kia were still shit, :notsure:
100k mile warranty :whocares: he can get that one bought back also if it throws a CE that can't be fixed.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:25 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am

100k mile warranty :whocares: he can get that one bought back also if it throws a CE that can't be fixed.
not transferable doe if bought used... oh wait