Gberg has a VW problem

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

So now that my R is being bought back I need a car asap. I've been thinking over the past few weeks about what to do and I keep coming back to the egg. I know it's :fullretard: but it just does everything well. Sure it's not a thrill ride to drive and it looks dull, but it's a great all-arounder which can't be disputed. With the buyback, VW is offering me $2500 off any new or CPO VW or Audi. So another R does appeal because it can be had for roughly 36-37k.

Despite DFD now being a :truk: and :jeep: forum I'd still prefer something sporty. I'm open to an automatic but I have to remember I drove the best automatic in the business (PDK) on a track so nothing in this list will compare.
  • $40k limit
  • 4 doors
  • :manuel: is preferable
  • Decent MPG
  • Android auto
  • AWD is also preferable
The Contenders

2019 Golf R
+ Obvious familiarity
+ Solid all-arounder
+ SHOULD be reliable
+ 6 year B2B warranty still applies to 2019's
+ Holds value
- It's another R
- More thermostat/water pump issues are possible

2017-18 MB C43
+ 362hp is :fuckyeah:
+ MB build quality and reliability should be better than Audi or BMW
- :225:
- No android auto
- Expensive repairs
- Don't know much about them :iono:

2017-18 Audi S3
+ "Premium" brand
+ S3 specific haldex and stability tuning
- It's essentially a Golf R

2017-18 Audi S4
Don't know much about the new turbo V6 but IIRC the supercharged V6 was solid

2017-18 BMW 340i xdrive
+ It seems like the B58 is a solid engine
+ Beads nigerians
- No AA
- Expensive repairs

2019 Civic Hype R
+ Should be reliable
+ Everyone says they're a riot to drive
+ Great :manuel:
+ Immune to depreciation
- Looks ridiculous
- :dillerman: still playing games
- No ass toasters
- Requires 2 new wheel set purchases. I do not want to drive around on 20" wheels.
- FWD

2020 Civic Si
+ Cheap
+ LSD
- :jalepenis: 1.5T
- Did oil consumption issues occur in Si?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:popcorn:

I really really liked the feel of the Type R but I was only sitting in a stationary one making vroom vroom noises.

Curious why 4 doors?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

MMmmm.. I play this game weekly. But still love my :gorf:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Charger Scat? Too bad Alfa never made a mid level Giulia or Stelvio with ~330hp like the rumors were suggesting.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:42 pm :popcorn:

I really really liked the feel of the Type R but I was only sitting in a stationary one making vroom vroom noises.

Curious why 4 doors?
I sat in the Type R at last years auto show and I did like it. The 2020 gets some nice updates but unfortunately I can't wait till it arrives.

4 doors is for the eventual :crotchfruit: . If I could get a 2 door the answer to this question would be M2 all the way.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:48 pm Charger Scat? Too bad Alfa never made a mid level Giulia or Stelvio with ~330hp like the rumors were suggesting.
Charger loses in the MPGee department. While I like them and the brubs that come with them, I don't want V8 fuel economy which limits me to 4 or 6 cylinders.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

This looks like a nice car but why was it serviced 6 times in 8,000 miles??

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

My vote is take the money offered and go for a DSG GTI - though if future wife unit has no problem driving :manuel: if/when you need to swap cars, you’re still good. Take the $10k you save and buy a toy, if you have to have one.

Given the pricing, I’d GoRf over an S3/S4 any day... and don’t forget with premium brands comes premium service and pricing. Your eventual CP water pump on an S3 will probably cost 10% more for the part and 30% more on labor thanks to labor rate differences. My local VW store is $130/hr, while the Audi store is $175... and they’re on the same lot.

Cherry Hill Imports have VW, Audi and Porsche on the same complex. The oil/filter requirements in a GTI/R, an S3, and a Macan are all the same. Oil changes are $80, $130 and $320 respectively.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

That said if you do buy an Audi, ABSOLUTELY buy the AudiCare maintenance plan the finance dept sells.

The 50k plan they sell is around $950. The $20k service alone details around $400, and that plan covers two brake flushes, spark plugs and DSG fluid at recommended intervals.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:15 am My vote is take the money offered and go for a DSG GTI - though if future wife unit has no problem driving :manuel: if/when you need to swap cars, you’re still good. Take the $10k you save and buy a toy, if you have to have one.

Given the pricing, I’d GoRf over an S3/S4 any day... and don’t forget with premium brands comes premium service and pricing. Your eventual CP water pump on an S3 will probably cost 10% more for the part and 30% more on labor thanks to labor rate differences. My local VW store is $130/hr, while the Audi store is $175... and they’re on the same lot.

Cherry Hill Imports have VW, Audi and Porsche on the same complex. The oil/filter requirements in a GTI/R, an S3, and a Macan are all the same. Oil changes are $80, $130 and $320 respectively.
I agree with all of this, had a question about servicing an Audi at a VW dealership... would there be any objections to doing so from the service department at a VW :diller: ?

Also wanted to say that it's cool having you on the forum, great input! 👌
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:01 am
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:15 am My vote is take the money offered and go for a DSG GTI - though if future wife unit has no problem driving :manuel: if/when you need to swap cars, you’re still good. Take the $10k you save and buy a toy, if you have to have one.

I agree with all of this, had a question about servicing an Audi at a VW dealership... would there be any objections to doing so from the service department at a VW :diller: ?

Also wanted to say that it's cool having you on the forum, great input! 👌
You could take your Audi to a VW (or even a Porsche) dealership, sure. You can’t have any warranty work performed on it, and even then certain electronic components that need coding (which on current VAG products is almost everything now) will require an Audi scan tool. My Porsche store had a VCDS/VAGCOM to help get around 90% of that.

There are some significant electronic part differences from brand to brand now, especially with all the infotainment and active safety features.

Personally I wouldn’t want a VW lube monkey changing oil on an S3.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I’d Hype R of your choices, seems like the most fun.

Or get the M2 and worry about :baby: when :baby: is actually here.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I am exactly in the same boat as you are in regards of jumping the ship, and as an only car GTI/R's are excellent. Good at everything, best at nothing. So there are some compromises.

I think the 2019 warranty for the R's is a great piece of mind to have. Not sure if you wanna do the same car again.

MB's have a pretty good cpo warranty where it's about up to 80k miles I believe , be sure to look at that and see if it has bluetooth or usb for music concerns on smartphone.

One of my friends just switched from his GTI to a 2016 340i non-M, and he installed 245's michelin pilot as, and was :mindblown: on how it made a difference. Also keep in mind that getting inside that car is pretty much like getting into [user not found] :meata: makes our yaris's feel like a crossover. I heard mixed stuff about the xdrive when it comes to snow.

:butwhy: s3 since it's roughly the same car and smaller interior space.

The si drives better than a GTI no question, but it's tad slower and I heard some issues regarding oil too :notsure:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I am exactly in the same boat as you are in regards of jumping the ship, and as an only car GTI/R's are excellent. Good at everything, best at nothing. So there are some compromises.

I think the 2019 warranty for the R's is a great piece of mind to have. Not sure if you wanna do the same car again.

MB's have a pretty good cpo warranty where it's about up to 80k miles I believe , be sure to look at that and see if it has bluetooth or usb for music concerns on smartphone.

One of my friends just switched from his GTI to a 2016 340i non-M, and he installed 245's michelin pilot as, and was :mindblown: on how it made a difference. Also keep in mind that getting inside that car is pretty much like getting into [user not found] :meata: makes our yaris's feel like a crossover. I heard mixed stuff about the xdrive when it comes to snow.

:butwhy: s3 since it's roughly the same car and smaller interior space.

The si drives better than a GTI no question, but it's tad slower and I heard some issues regarding oil too :notsure:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:31 pm I’d Hype R of your choices, seems like the most fun.

Or get the M2 and worry about :baby: when :baby: is actually here.
After going to pdrbq with :narc: and saw a hype R stuck on the shoulder because of a flat :notsure: along with 15 other cars within 10 miles. I felt like I was in an autocross.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Good points as always. 2 car life isn't feasible at the moment so I still kinda want the sporty do it all car. Even if I could do the toy, a miata is out at $10k. I'm pretty sure I need an ND2 to fit.

I could take this chance to maybe consider a DSG GoRf. I know they're better but I just think after a while I'd be wanting a :manuel: again. My brother traded in his manual GTI for a DCT Elantra and a few months later he was saying how he misses :manuel:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I’m team :manuel:

I like my 328i Fake M a bit more than a GTI but they don’t really feel all that different once you’re in it/driving. I’d imagine an R is a little more fun than most new BMWs other than M2/M3.

Would you consider a Focus RS? Less ridiculous looking than the R but more fun to drive than the VW.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Good points as always. 2 car life isn't feasible at the moment so I still kinda want the sporty do it all car. Even if I could do the toy, a miata is out at $10k. I'm pretty sure I need an ND2 to fit.

I could take this chance to maybe consider a DSG GoRf. I know they're better but I just think after a while I'd be wanting a :manuel: again. My brother traded in his manual GTI for a DCT Elantra and a few months later he was saying how he misses :manuel:
Yeah gti/r manuals aren't exactly burden to drive in traffic and gets you just the feedback that you need. As far as dc im more so :rage: of the :derp: that drive here rather than actually being involved in stop and go traffic
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:18 pm So now that my R is being bought back I need a car asap. I've been thinking over the past few weeks about what to do and I keep coming back to the egg. I know it's :fullretard: but it just does everything well. Sure it's not a thrill ride to drive and it looks dull, but it's a great all-arounder which can't be disputed. With the buyback, VW is offering me $2500 off any new or CPO VW or Audi. So another R does appeal because it can be had for roughly 36-37k.

Despite DFD now being a :truk: and :jeep: forum I'd still prefer something sporty. I'm open to an automatic but I have to remember I drove the best automatic in the business (PDK) on a track so nothing in this list will compare.
  • $40k limit
  • 4 doors
  • Decent MPG
  • Android auto
  • AWD is also preferable
The Contenders

2019 Golf R
+ Obvious familiarity
+ Solid all-arounder
+ SHOULD be reliable
+ Holds value
- It's another R

2017-18 MB C43
- No android auto
- Expensive repairs

2017-18 Audi S3
+ "Premium" brand

2017-18 Audi S4

2017-18 BMW 340i xdrive
+ Beads nigerians
- No AA
- Expensive repairs

2019 Civic Hype R
+ Should be reliable
+ Immune to depreciation
- Looks ridiculous
- No ass toasters
- Requires 2 new wheel set purchases. I do not want to drive around on 20" wheels.
- FWD

2020 Civic Si
+ Cheap
+ LSD
Don’t get another R, that makes no sense. Neither does a S3 because it’s the same thing.

Can they just pay you to keep it vs you wasting money on the exact same car ?

I would say experience something new. Life is too short. Maybe the civic or the c43, drive both see if the c is worth the money to you. Not anyone else, just you. If it makes you feel good etc.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:56 pm I’m team :manuel:

I like my 328i Fake M a bit more than a GTI but they don’t really feel all that different once you’re in it/driving. I’d imagine an R is a little more fun than most new BMWs other than M2/M3.

Would you consider a Focus RS? Less ridiculous looking than the R but more fun to drive than the VW.
That's kind of why I want one of the 6 cylinder models, whether it be 340, C43, or S4. The I4's are too similar to GTI/R and probably less fun.

There are some used RS' within an hour drive but I guess warranty is also a factor. I'd prefer a certified one for that extra peace of mind.

Has anyone else driven one? I can't remember max's review but if the ride really is indeed as anus shattering as people say it's probably not gonna work.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:18 pm So now that my R is being bought back I need a car asap. I've been thinking over the past few weeks about what to do and I keep coming back to the egg. I know it's :fullretard: but it just does everything well. Sure it's not a thrill ride to drive and it looks dull, but it's a great all-arounder which can't be disputed. With the buyback, VW is offering me $2500 off any new or CPO VW or Audi. So another R does appeal because it can be had for roughly 36-37k.

• $40k limit
  • 4 doors
  • Decent MPG
  • Android auto
  • AWD is also preferable
The Contenders

2019 Golf R
+ Obvious familiarity
+ Solid all-arounder
+ SHOULD be reliable
+ Holds value
- It's another R

2017-18 MB C43
- No android auto
- Expensive repairs

2017-18 Audi S3
+ "Premium" brand

2017-18 Audi S4

2017-18 BMW 340i xdrive
+ Beads nigerians
- No AA
- Expensive repairs

2019 Civic Hype R
+ Should be reliable
+ Immune to depreciation
- Looks ridiculous
- No ass toasters
- FWD

2020 Civic Si
+ Cheap
+ LSD
Don’t get another R, that makes no sense. Neither does a S3 because it’s the same thing.

I would say experience something new. Life is too short. Maybe the civic or the c43, drive both see if the c is worth the money to you. Not anyone else, just you. If it makes you feel good etc.
Not sure. They said I could keep it, :butwhy: would I?

I do have to drive something else though. But an R for $36k is not bad.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:56 pm I’m team :manuel:

That's kind of why I want one of the 6 cylinder models, whether it be 340, C43, or S4. The I4's are too similar to GTI/R and probably less fun.

There are some used RS' within an hour drive but I guess warranty is also a factor. I'd prefer a certified one for that extra peace of mind.

Has anyone else driven one? I can't remember max's review but if the ride really is indeed as anus shattering as people say it's probably not gonna work.
Yes.

It’s a $45k Ford Focus.

Fun car. Awful, chintzy interior and you’ll hate the seats unless you’re under 160lbs. I’ve said this before: it’s a $15k econobox on steroids. Moving to the GTI was a revelation.

I would look for one that didn’t have the head gasket recall/campaign, too.
Last edited by fledonfoot on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So what happens when it’s out of warranty and still won’t pass an emissions test because it keeps misfiring and throwing codes? Not to mention the long term durability concerns, and resale down the road.

It’s been having issues that they can’t fix. If a manufacturer is offering to buy a car back and there’s no lawyers involved, even they know this thing is a HUGE lemon. The fact they’re buying it back AND throwing money at him on top of it says enough.

Getting bought out, negotiating a good deal on a MY19 with a dealer, then throwing $2500 on top from VW leaves him in a good position.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:48 pm
So what happens when it’s out of warranty and still won’t pass an emissions test because it keeps misfiring and throwing codes? Not to mention the long term durability concerns, and resale down the road.

It’s been having issues that they can’t fix. If a manufacturer is offering to buy a car back and there’s no lawyers involved, even they know this thing is a HUGE lemon. The fact they’re buying it back AND throwing money at him on top of it says enough.

Getting bought out, negotiating a good deal on a MY19 with a dealer, then throwing $2500 on top from VW leaves him in a good position.
It’s a mystery ce light that comes on at random not like it’s leaving him stranded on Wintery nights on top of a mountain. Emissions warranties tend to be longer on this type of issue as is.

That said my point was to steer him away from this type of car/brand period. Why give them another go when there is so much other good stuff out there.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:41 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm

There are some used RS' within an hour drive but I guess warranty is also a factor. I'd prefer a certified one for that extra peace of mind. I

Yes.

It’s a $45k Ford Focus.

Fun car. Awful, chintzy interior and you’ll hate the seats unless you’re under 160lbs. I’ve said this before: it’s a $15k econobox on steroids. Moving to the GTI was a revelation.

I would look for one that didn’t have the head gasket recall/campaign, too.
I liked the seats at 220, i think it’s a good car to check out just for the sake of checking out. I found it to be the most fun “hot hatch” of the bunch, but the interior as you mentioned is sub par especially when coming from a mk 7.5, but a mk7 is closer.

It depends on priorities, if it is fun, then I would certainly drive one, if it is luxury or comfort id look elsewhere. The ride was so punishing I couldn’t do it stock. I would have to swap dampers on it. This is why I got the mini, otherwise I loved the RS. It will be an epic classic as well