Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:51 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:46 pm

That's what my SA told me :iono:
Here’s your answer

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2018_ ... 2548F.html
:bruh:
Asked my SA specifically about this. He told me it wouldn't work in my car. It's in my thread.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:04 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:51 pm

Here’s your answer

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2018_ ... 2548F.html
:bruh:
Asked my SA specifically about this. He told me it wouldn't work in my car. It's in my thread.
:iono: a 2019-21 golf is listed as fitting on the VW website. So someone fucked up.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yeah my friend installed it on his wife's Alltrack S and it's working.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 pm https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/cay ... 11413190_/

This is better.
That is :nice:

I think I'm in the minority here... but I actually like newer, higher mileage cars for less money when they are well cared for. You can drive it as much as you want without being overly concerned about adding miles, I feel that cars work better when they don't sit and are driven, most of us here will change all fluids and such regardless upon delivery, the list of reasons goes on.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy something like that and just daily it, track it from time to time, just enjoy the car without too much diaper polishing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's funny, the first few years I owned my Corvette, I absolutely hated the taupe interior, but have grown to appreciate it over time. It stays so much cooler, shows dust way less, etc. It is a bit old-man spec, but it's functional.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 am It's funny, the first few years I owned my Corvette, I absolutely hated the taupe interior, but have grown to appreciate it over time. It stays so much cooler, shows dust way less, etc. It is a bit old-man spec, but it's functional.
I don't mind lighter interiors, I just despise light steering wheels and light upper dashes. The dash reflects the sun and the steering wheel shows dirt too easily.
:word:

I am fairly happy ( I mean given how terrible it is) with my interior now that I have the black seats/wheel with tan everything else. I do like the look of black best when it's clean and not burning me.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 am It's funny, the first few years I owned my Corvette, I absolutely hated the taupe interior, but have grown to appreciate it over time. It stays so much cooler, shows dust way less, etc. It is a bit old-man spec, but it's functional.
I don't mind lighter interiors, I just despise light steering wheels and light upper dashes. The dash reflects the sun and the steering wheel shows dirt too easily.
Uppers should absolutely be dark...it's a functional thing for reflection into the windshield agreed 100%.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Wasn’t there a class action suite against Porsche for this and they gave the owners sunglasses?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:01 am
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:51 am

:iono: a 2019-21 golf is listed as fitting on the VW website. So someone fucked up.
It also lists the GTI and Golf Alltrack when I open the link.

:notsure:

Methinks the SA needs a reboot.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph ... ew.351209/

Install on a 2018 GTI.
Maybe it's because I have the most povertiest of HU's and the fact that I don't even have a sharkfin antenna, which I'm told is needed for the compass to work?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:25 am

Wasn’t there a class action suite against Porsche for this and they gave the owners sunglasses?
:lolgasm: wouldn't surprise me.

Problem is, it's not something that sunglasses would solve IMO. Light upper dashboards completely wash out the windshield from reflecting in the sun.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm sure I'm :wrong: but I have had a DD with a light dash just like that Cayman for the past seven years and never once experienced whatever you guys are talking about.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:04 pm I'm sure I'm :wrong: but I have had a DD with a light dash just like that Cayman for the past seven years and never once experienced whatever you guys are talking about.
The windshield in the vette might be sloped steeper than Porsches, which reduces glare. My car had a black dash, but I still got very little reflection. The Rubbermaid dash is also curved/sloped everywhere, so the reflection can't be that bad. Many Porsche upper dashes are pretty flat or have elements that love to catch the sun.

It definitely depends on the car and the dashboard design. Porsches tend to be really bad for reflective glare.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Reimbursed for up to $200 towards sunglasses, IIRC.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:47 pm

:lolol:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1 ... sunglasses

The story does seem to be true.
Need allowance for premium watches to offset the pain also. And perhaps a headscarf for the misses.

Talk about most Porsche lawsuit ever.

Next up sue Porsche for getting sunburns with the top down
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:42 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:36 pm
Need allowance for premium watches to offset the pain also. And perhaps a headscarf for the misses.

Talk about most Porsche lawsuit ever.

Next up sue Porsche for getting sunburns with the top down
I mean, I just saw someone post on one of the Porsche forums that getting his ENTIRE engine replaced in his 991 GT3 within 30 days of the initial complaint, a $3500 check back, and a 2 year warranty extension... and it was a "disappointing" resolution.
It does sound disappointing. Is that the weird fire issue they had ? You spend 200k on a car with a defective motor. :disgust: and it will never be “factory fresh” again. 35k sounds like a more reasonable amount IMO. Given the price point
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I feel like I would be satisfied with just a replaced engine...? I mean, if it's under warranty I would expect them to cover it, by why would they owe you anything more?
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:26 pm I feel like I would be satisfied with just a replaced engine...? I mean, if it's under warranty I would expect them to cover it, by why would they owe you anything more?
Because a GT3 is not a civic, it is a fairly rare super enthusiast oriented performance machine.

You pay around 1/4 million dollars for one IF you can even get one, since that is not even guaranteed. And having a fubared engine from the start kills the value of the car and the entire vibe.

If my taco popped a motor I would never buy another. I’m sure the GT3 owners aren’t exactly thrilled to have their prized possessions split in 1/2 by American infidels vs Aryan factory angels.

Also since that demographic usually makes a bit of money that 250k that is sunk in the vehicle would likely generate far in excess of $3500 for them while the repair is performed. They bought an expensive product that can not be used. And it’s not like there will be a GT3 loaner it will be some pos macan with a 2.0 from a gti, vs a 3.8/4.0 NA beast made from unicorn tears
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:58 pmNo, just engine failure - stalled after a hard acceleration and wouldn't restart. Engine fires were the 991.1 GT3s.

$35k is a ridiculous ask, IMO.

Perhaps the $3500 is a bit low, but I don't think it's totally unreasonable.
$3,500 probably is low. A GT3 with a replacement engine isn’t going to be worth as much as one with the original, and the difference is probably more than $3,500. Maybe $10k? $35k seems way too much to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Because a GT3 is not a civic, it is a fairly rare super enthusiast oriented performance machine.

You pay around 1/4 million dollars for one IF you can even get one, since that is not even guaranteed. And having a fubared engine from the start kills the value of the car and the entire vibe.

If my taco popped a motor I would never buy another. I’m sure the GT3 owners aren’t exactly thrilled to have their prized possessions split in 1/2 by American infidels vs Aryan factory angels.

Also since that demographic usually makes a bit of money that 250k that is sunk in the vehicle would likely generate far in excess of $3500 for them while the repair is performed. They bought an expensive product that can not be used. And it’s not like there will be a GT3 loaner it will be some pos macan with a 2.0 from a gti, vs a 3.8/4.0 NA beast made from unicorn tears
Yeah, see... bottom line is, it's just a car. An expensive one at that, but it's a car, and a brand new one with a warranty. The warranty is there to take care of any issues that may arise in an initial ownership period. And the brand is there to make sure things go smoothly.

What I do want is for the repair experience to go smoothly. I want the thing I bought to be fixed by a trained professional, which this car was. And I'd want a loaner vehicle of the same brand, which I'm sure he received. Anything beyond that is just gravy to me, unless I had other things tied up in the whole experience (2000 miles away from home, traveling, etc.), or if the repair took longer than is considered reasonable. Then I'd want additional compensation because it's become more than just getting a car fixed. But that's situational.
That is my view, but it's also more than I can afford, pal.

Very few cars will lose an engine, but it's possible in any car. Max's point re: lost value I guess is valid, but I feel like $3500 is pretty generous when I would go into that expecting $0.

Do people really GAF about numbers matching? I mean, you got a new engine with less miles on it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:31 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:26 pm

Yeah, see... bottom line is, it's just a car. An expensive one at that, but it's a car, and a brand new one with a warranty. The warranty is there to take care of any issues that may arise in an initial ownership period. And the brand is there to make sure things go smoothly.

What I do want is for the repair experience to go smoothly. I want the thing I bought to be fixed by a trained professional, which this car was. And I'd want a loaner vehicle of the same brand, which I'm sure he received. Anything beyond that is just gravy to me, unless I had other things tied up in the whole experience (2000 miles away from home, traveling, etc.), or if the repair took longer than is considered reasonable. Then I'd want additional compensation because it's become more than just getting a car fixed. But that's situational.

Very few cars will lose an engine, but it's possible in any car. Max's point re: lost value I guess is valid, but I feel like $3500 is pretty generous when I would go into that expecting $0.

Do people really GAF about numbers matching? I mean, you got a new engine with less miles on it.
Once again in a civic it would make sense. In a limited production collectible and highly desirable Porsche ... :notsure: just a different demographic and way of life.

Like you go to an Apple bees and are happy if no one spat in your food and that it comes out warm. The expectation of French laundry is a bit different. And yes both are “just food”. Expectations are a bit higher in one vs the other, as is the level of service.

I would absolutely expect more than $0 for a fucked up engine in a 250k super car
Last edited by max225 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Once again in a civic it would make sense. In a limited production collectible and highly desirable Porsche ... :notsure: just a different demographic and way of life.

Like you go to an Apple bees and are happy if no one spat in your food and that it comes out warm. The expectation of French laundry is a bit different. And yes both are “just food”z
Ooh la la ........ French Laundry sounds dirty.....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Like you go to an Apple bees and are happy if no one spat in your food and that it comes out warm. The expectation of French laundry is a bit different. And yes both are “just food”. Expectations are a bit higher in one vs the other, as is the level of service.
I would be upset if I took my GT3 in for that work and they put in a base Carrera engine. It's still a GT3 after the replacement :iono: Agree to disagree I guess. Porsche seems to think it's worth $3500 and they get the last laugh.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't even know what French Laundry is though, clearly I'm out of my depth here.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 pm I don't even know what French Laundry is though, clearly I'm out of my depth here.
We all are. I just sort of know about that life, but I don’t live it. I’m still living like I did 10 years ago. Minus the new house/non crime ridden city.