Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm I think you're paying :fullretard: prices for the FJ because............epic fanboi car. Overpaying is not your style. You are doomed to a the life of a keyboard 4X4 owner.
What else is out there for 25K or so, that has a decent motor, a non porta potty roof, doesn't have more than 100k miles, and doesn't need to be modded for off roads possibly with :manuel:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm I think you're paying :fullretard: prices for the FJ because............epic fanboi car. Overpaying is not your style. You are doomed to a the life of a keyboard 4X4 owner.
What else is out there for 25K or so, that has a decent motor, a non porta potty roof, doesn't have more than 100k miles, and doesn't need to be modded for off roads possibly with :manuel:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm

While nice, this is a mom approved not forum approved car.

FJ is a lot more interesting/fun and will depreciate a lot less.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

But I think Max will just cry about used vehicle prices and never actually do anything. What is funny is that he won't by vehicles that don't depreciate because they are " :fullretard: pricing" but he won't buy vehicles that do depreciate because then they will depreciate more and cost of ownershit will be :fullretard:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm
While nice, this is a mom approved not forum approved car.

FJ is a lot more interesting/fun and will depreciate a lot less.
Forumboi whack it cars are esspensive.......you get dick for lots of money because everybody knows what they have. Guys with burnt clutches denying the problem exists. So you take your two tone ricer fanboi off road legend. I'll be passing you in the left lane at 95 mph under Hemi power on the 80 on the way to my Tahoe cabin with my wine, women and shotguns. And I can still make it to the same places you can because your AZN isn't going to go beyond JGC offroad capability and into that extra sliver of FJ wheeling.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:00 pm But I think Max will just cry about used vehicle prices and never actually do anything. What is funny is that he won't by vehicles that don't depreciate because they are " :fullretard: pricing" but he won't buy vehicles that do depreciate because then they will depreciate more and cost of ownershit will be :fullretard:
He's got issues, no question.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:00 pm But I think Max will just cry about used vehicle prices and never actually do anything. What is funny is that he won't by vehicles that don't depreciate because they are " :fullretard: pricing" but he won't buy vehicles that do depreciate because then they will depreciate more and cost of ownershit will be :fullretard:
:iono: I test drove 5 cars. 2 old, 2 newer and 1 broken.

I am not "crying" i am just documenting my search. I found the car I like but it is 33k, I didn't pull the trigger on the burned clutch one for that very reason, and I didn't buy the 26k one because I found it to be in an odd spot of the depreciation curve which was going to cost me more than a new JLU.

Tell me logically what I am doing :wrong: here.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm

This isn't the worst of choices. I may do some research around it, however the fact that they are freefalling in value worries me. And I can get a Range Rover for 1/2 of that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:19 pm
This isn't the worst of choices. I may do some research around it, however the fact that they are freefalling in value worries me. And I can get a Range Rover for 1/2 of that.
Right but this outperforms the Range Rover in every meaningful dimension other than dick swinging and nobody is impressed by old Range Rovers because they represent dementia. It's good for another 75000 miles easy of notta lotta going wrong and it is flatly luxurious inside. It has already lost 1/2 its value. Nothing that bad can go wrong. And way better car for your needs once you admit that you are 15 times more likely to load that rig with Cabernet Sauvignon than a tow strap and extra fuel.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If you buy a used Range Rover I will fly up and drive it around wine country with you doe.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:19 pm
Right but this outperforms the Range Rover in every meaningful dimension other than dick swinging and nobody is impressed by old Range Rovers because they represent dementia. It's good for another 75000 miles easy of notta lotta going wrong and it is flatly luxurious inside. It has already lost 1/2 its value. Nothing that bad can go wrong. And way better car for your needs once you admit that you are 15 times more likely to load that rig with Cabernet Sauvignon than a tow strap and extra fuel.
It does and it doesn't. It doesn't "outperform" it in the value freefall, it also doesn't look nearly as nice to me. I do prefer the pushrod v8 to something that was stolen from a JAAAAAAG.

I would think a used range rover sport will always fetch 5k from a :mahtroy: and with a near 3 figure tax outlay it presents a pretty "cheap" way to fly, as I highly doubt I would lose an engine or a transmission in the 20k miles or less that I would have it.

As I mentioned the main downside of the RR is the reliability in far away places, and the fact that a washboard road would likely make it's 10 year old electronics lose whatever remaining teeth they had from the factory. An FJ and a jeep are so rudimentary that there is no shit to rattle free, they are designed with that in mind.

An epic Pino cruiser it would make, but it isn't exactly what i am looking for. I have no issues cruising in my clown car per say. Although a range would a much nicer/plusher ride, same goes for the JGC.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4th gen 4Runner gets you reliable V8 offroady powah with a fixed roof.
I think they’re :neat: looking and a set of tires is probably all you might need for any softroading.

Too old for Max doe? :iono:
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:11 pm 4th gen 4Runner gets you reliable V8 offroady powah with a fixed roof.
I think they’re :neat: looking and a set of tires is probably all you might need for any softroading.

They are :notbad: and come with a Desert approved V8... its a solid maybe from me... I wanted something more unique, and the gas crunch+sales slowdown from 08-12 essentially decimated them... Pretty hard to find.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:29 pm If you like the Defender but have a blue collar budget...

If it’s anything like the new Explorer... :yikes:
Reviews have not been kind. Savagegeese was especially savage on it.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:27 pm

y so savage?
It was pieced together too quickly by people that don’t care in a very top down way. Fit and finish, rattles, collapsing seats, horrible audio system, bullshit phone integration, bad transmission tuning. Unfinished product.

Likely stuff to be fixed in 1-2 model years.
Johnny_P

Wait. We are discussing low cost of ownership vehicles and Range Rovers in the same sentences?

:pftch:

I’d imagine something like a Forester with some knobby tires would be able to tame the wild winding roads leading in and out of Sedona as well as any NPS road you’d want to gram about.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:15 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:11 pm 4th gen 4Runner gets you reliable V8 offroady powah with a fixed roof.

They are :notbad: and come with a Desert approved V8... its a solid maybe from me... I wanted something more unique, and the gas crunch+sales slowdown from 08-12 essentially decimated them... Pretty hard to find.
GX/LX470?

Dead reliable and other than pricey timing belt replacements, they’re definitely mom approved ✅
Johnny_P

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 32400.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 71851.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 09060.html :manuel:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 15174.html :impressive:

Also, every mid size truck will do this like a champ. All the pickups had low range transfer cases and lots of ground clearance. Frontier, Tacoma, Colorado, Dakota, etc...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:18 pm
:iono: I test drove 5 cars. 2 old, 2 newer and 1 broken.

I am not "crying" i am just documenting my search. I found the car I like but it is 33k, I didn't pull the trigger on the burned clutch one for that very reason, and I didn't buy the 26k one because I found it to be in an odd spot of the depreciation curve which was going to cost me more than a new JLU.

Tell me logically what I am doing :wrong: here.
What you are doing :wrong: is trying to be logical around a pointless five figure purchase. I enjoy your car searching journeys, so I'm not complaining, but you are trying to bean count a non bean countable financial move. The logical choice would be to just drive the MINI for 200k miles and forget about all of this. Logic and used off roader weekend car are mutually exclusive.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:zing:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Wait, why are you kicking yourself now for not buying one? Off road focused SUVs are going to be flooding the market. It's going to push the value on older FJs down.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:27 pm

y so savage?
dat the new bronco? Its going to be a failure out the gate?! :sad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:53 pm

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 32400.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 71851.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 09060.html :manuel:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 15174.html :impressive:

Also, every mid size truck will do this like a champ. All the pickups had low range transfer cases and lots of ground clearance. Frontier, Tacoma, Colorado, Dakota, etc...
thats a 10 year spread between shitboxes to an actual nice newish SUV that will do light off roading BETTER than an xterra.

In in the GC camp on this. They are nice cars. Fuck driving a 15 year old appliance with 150k farts on it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Xterra

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =261441295

A good bit cheaper than the Toyota, maybe for a reason, but I think they look much nicer. Sure not as funky but I prefer it.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... 255570349/

BRO FORX
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.