Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:58 pm

The only other car I could think of is a GT-R they have notorious 30k $5k brake jobs. I thought I heard of STI brakes being pretty expensive as well. Especially on the later models with the even bigger rotors, but i think those were 18+ models.

That said...18k I don't believe they are that fucked. Car was never tracked and designed with tracking in mind. That will kill a years worth of brakes in a session, they seem to last a bit for those guys. City derping can't possibly be this hard. No way.
Right so I paid the $400 ish for them to throw away $1200 worth of perfectly fine OEM parts and put on $80 worth of aftermarket chinese bullshit. Confirmed the work did get done, it has new front rotors and pads. No clue what they are "oh we use good parts, no junk." OEM rotors had black hats, these are uncoated.... so they're probably $30 shit rotors. Looked up OEM parts, they're about $400 each for the rotors... so, maybe at least the rotors are a whatever type item being aftermarket. As long as the internal venting is the same. Pads... Brembo pads can be bought outside the dealership, but these are probably "Wagner" or some shit. They're supposed to have shims as they're waxables, no clue if they have them.

I'm so mad at myself right now. Of course they're closed, I'm going to call back and Karen them tomorrow. Of course they'll just tell me to fuck off. Like what am I going to ask them to do besides give me my old parts back.... which they'll probably just hang up on me.

This is 100% my fault for not telling them to take it off the lift and saying I'm going elsewhere. I felt backed into a corner because it was overdue and I couldn't find anywhere else to do the inspection quickly. Drove it home and the brake pedal was spongy with no bite.

My life is just one gigantic failure right now :sad:
It's all good man, I wish you checked with our collective mind a bit earlier and we would have avoided you some of this headache. But either way it's just a brake job, not the end of the world. And by the time you're ready to get rid of this car which is any day/week now most won't be able to tell a difference. Especially at carmax.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:26 pm snip
Get the parts back and bring it to me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:58 pm

The only other car I could think of is a GT-R they have notorious 30k $5k brake jobs. I thought I heard of STI brakes being pretty expensive as well. Especially on the later models with the even bigger rotors, but i think those were 18+ models.

That said...18k I don't believe they are that fucked. Car was never tracked and designed with tracking in mind. That will kill a years worth of brakes in a session, they seem to last a bit for those guys. City derping can't possibly be this hard. No way.
Right so I paid the $400 ish for them to throw away $1200 worth of perfectly fine OEM parts and put on $80 worth of aftermarket chinese bullshit. Confirmed the work did get done, it has new front rotors and pads. No clue what they are "oh we use good parts, no junk." OEM rotors had black hats, these are uncoated.... so they're probably $30 shit rotors. Looked up OEM parts, they're about $400 each for the rotors... so, maybe at least the rotors are a whatever type item being aftermarket. As long as the internal venting is the same. Pads... Brembo pads can be bought outside the dealership, but these are probably "Wagner" or some shit. They're supposed to have shims as they're waxables, no clue if they have them.

I'm so mad at myself right now. Of course they're closed, I'm going to call back and Karen them tomorrow. Of course they'll just tell me to fuck off. Like what am I going to ask them to do besides give me my old parts back.... which they'll probably just hang up on me.

This is 100% my fault for not telling them to take it off the lift and saying I'm going elsewhere. I felt backed into a corner because it was overdue and I couldn't find anywhere else to do the inspection quickly. Drove it home and the brake pedal was spongy with no bite.

I think you're forgetting the times we live in. You don't have to stand for that shit, start a riot and firebomb that fucking place.

:trollface:

I know, on some level it would feel nice if that was something you could do, but we are civil and will take the fucking and just buy new OEM parts later to replace the rusted Kragen specials they put on. At least you're passing inspection, I guess.... The fire inside me is burning and I'm afraid that one day I may act the fool like everyone else and do some ridiculous shit.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 pm

I think you're forgetting the times we live in. You don't have to stand for that shit, start a riot and firebomb that fucking place.

I know, on some level it would feel nice if that was something you could do, but we are civil and will take the fucking and just buy new OEM parts later to replace the rusted Kragen specials they put on. At least you're passing inspection, I guess.... The fire inside me is burning and I'm afraid that one day I may act the fool like everyone else and do some ridiculous shit.
I dunno man, I hate car ownership because I don't trust anyone. Lisa made a good point, it's likely that the lack of sleep made me less sharp on this.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:26 pm snip
Get the parts back and bring it to me.
Will try. Doubt they will give me the original parts back.

I think I can do this on the street.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 pm

I dunno man, I hate car ownership because I don't trust anyone. Lisa made a good point, it's likely that the lack of sleep made me less sharp on this.
I get it, and she's probably right. I've been having kinda crappy sleep lately and it is without a doubt impacting me. I also am kind of done with cars... at least new expensive ones. I get pretty OCD over taking care of them and any minor issue really bugs me.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm

I get it, and she's probably right. I've been having kinda crappy sleep lately and it is without a doubt impacting me. I also am kind of done with cars... at least new expensive ones. I get pretty OCD over taking care of them and any minor issue really bugs me.
Believe it or not I'm the same way. Which is why I don't wash the car ironically, because I believe most car washes will damage it, and I don't have ability to street wash it, so the less damaging thing is to just let it be dusty. I get legitimately angry when people mess my car up, angry at the roads being in such shit condition the car is basically unusable, angry when stuff like this happens and my car that was at a certain level leaves a shop in a lesser condition.

I dunno, I'm so done with cars in general. I saw a new scrape on the Cmax and asked Lisa what it was. "Huh never noticed that, oh well who cares" was her response. :notbad: I wish I could do that.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I love my GTI but I don’t care about washes or anything else. It got a door ding from parking the other day and I remember I just looked at it and shrugged it off. I’m annoyed it happened but I can’t turn back time and prevent it so i just suck it up and move on.

:ohwell:

My friends who wash/wax their GTI’s weekly get so :triggered: at me for how I treat my GTI. They get mad that I even put 87 in the car since that’s what the recommended minimum is on the gas tank
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I don't remember the last time I washed the Jeeps. They're pretty grimey, but :aintcare:

I cleaned the interior of the JT yesterday because having the top off all last weekend camping made the interior very...dusty/grimy/smokey.

5 minutes wiping down the interior with a microfiber and interior cleaner and it's like driving a new truck again. Good enough :ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:43 am I don't remember the last time I washed the Jeeps. They're pretty grimey, but :aintcare:

I cleaned the interior of the JT yesterday because having the top off all last weekend camping made the interior very...dusty/grimy/smokey.

5 minutes wiping down the interior with a microfiber and interior cleaner and it's like driving a new truck again. Good enough :ohwell:
I’m going to attempt to polish out some of the pinstripes on the truck this weekend...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:47 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:43 am I don't remember the last time I washed the Jeeps. They're pretty grimey, but :aintcare:

I’m going to attempt to polish out some of the pinstripes on the truck this weekend...
Scratch-X and a DA worked great for me on my ZR2. Just be careful because Scratch-x is rather aggressive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 am
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:47 am

Scratch-X and a DA worked great for me on my ZR2. Just be careful because Scratch-x is rather aggressive.
I got some meguiars stuff from Zills recommendation, plus a DA with fresh pads. Should work out alright.
I’ll take over the garage on Saturday for all the polishing since theres supposed to be scattered storms all day.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:55 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 am
I got some meguiars stuff from Zills recommendation, plus a DA with fresh pads. Should work out alright.
I’ll take over the garage on Saturday for all the polishing since theres supposed to be scattered storms all day.
:popcorn: In4results
Johnny_P

Went down and asked for my parts back. Said it's not braking normally and shuddering and ABS activating. They said they'd take a look at it.

They "couldn't find the parts" :rolleyes: because their scrap guy came by yesterday. I pointed to two enormous rotors on the ground and said there they are, "nope those are truck rotors I just changed out." :yeahok:

Basically going to have them OK their own work and then take it to another shop for a second opinion. And dispute the charge when the other shop says they used incorrect parts. Order replacement stuff, install it.

Fucking retarded.

Anyone know if Amir is still selling things through KNA? Is that a decent option for this? Looks like Centric makes good rotors that are highly regarded in the Subaru community... pair with some stoptech or Hawk pads and it should be good, no?

Also also... the stock calipers/pads combo have shims behind each pad to toe them. 90% sure those were thrown in the trash. So I guess I need to order replacement shims. I also see something about lube/paste on the back of the pads. Can anyone with waxables clue me in as to what this is and why its needed?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:06 am Went down and asked for my parts back. Said it's not braking normally and shuddering and ABS activating. They said they'd take a look at it.

They "couldn't find the parts" :rolleyes: because their scrap guy came by yesterday. I pointed to two enormous rotors on the ground and said there they are, "nope those are truck rotors I just changed out." :yeahok:

Basically going to have them OK their own work and then take it to another shop for a second opinion. And dispute the charge when the other shop says they used incorrect parts. Order replacement stuff, install it.

Fucking retarded.

Anyone know if Amir is still selling things through KNA? Is that a decent option for this? Looks like Centric makes good rotors that are highly regarded in the Subaru community... pair with some stoptech or Hawk pads and it should be good, no?

Also also... the stock calipers/pads combo have shims behind each pad to toe them. 90% sure those were thrown in the trash. So I guess I need to order replacement shims. I also see something about lube/paste on the back of the pads. Can anyone with waxables clue me in as to what this is and why its needed?
Yeah he’s still selling stuff and getting pretty good pricing. He hooked a WRX bro of mine up out here pretty good.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:06 am Went down and asked for my parts back. Said it's not braking normally and shuddering and ABS activating. They said they'd take a look at it.

Fucking retarded.

Yeah he’s still selling stuff and getting pretty good pricing. He hooked a WRX bro of mine up out here pretty good.
I can order all this easily through TireRack or a company called KNS. But if he's close in price I'd rather support his business :wub:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 am

I can order all this easily through TireRack or a company called KNS. But if he's close in price I'd rather support his business :wub:
Sent you his number to see what he can do for you.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm in disbelief of how shitty of a service experience that was for you Johnny, sorry man, fuck those guys.
Apex

KNS is a buddy of mine, I worked with him during the early days of his business when it was run out of the basement of his condo here in NJ.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:36 am

KNS is a buddy of mine, I worked with him during the early days of his business when it was run out of the basement of his condo here in NJ.
Interesting. Their pricing looks decent.

Wondering if I should just get decent afermarket front rotors, and then a front pad set from Subaru. The set includes all the shims and paste needed to do the job. And would bring it back to OEM spec for like $300-400.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:39 am

Wondering if I should just get decent afermarket front rotors, and then a front pad set from Subaru. The set includes all the shims and paste needed to do the job. And would bring it back to OEM spec for like $300-400.
Ken’s a good dude. He has a cool engineering background with a bunch of metallurgical knowledge.

Some centric rotors along with OEM pads will get you where you want to be I bet.
ChrisoftheNorth

Fucking retarded.

Holy shit dude :(

This is ridiculous and the last thing you need right now. Worthless scam shops are :|
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:39 am

I'd go as OEM as possible and be done with it. Cost in mind, of course. You're not racing this thing, and the OEM stuff should have the ideal balance of performance and lifespan.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:43 am

Fucking retarded.

This is ridiculous and the last thing you need right now. Worthless scam shops are :|
And I was wrong on the mileage. 14,900.
There is zero chance it needed anything. They legitimately made the car worse and charged me for it.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:43 am

And I was wrong on the mileage. 14,900.
There is zero chance it needed anything. They legitimately made the car worse and charged me for it.
Burn the shop to the ground.