Car Talk 5: The Coronaball Rally

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MrH42
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: '01 S2000, '20 Outback XT

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 pm
Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
Yep. I basically do wheels, tires, and sometimes suspension mods. Everything else are just little nice to have accessories for the interior or cosmetic things.

Blows my mind when people talk about putting an intake or exhaust on an S2000. 1. It's really loud stock already. Plenty of noise at redline. 2. You think a 2.0 liter, making 120 hp/liter, designed in the late 90s by one of the best engine manufacturers on the planet, left horsepower on the table with design that some hillbilly solved with some tubing and sells on eBay?

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:09 pm

MrH42 wrote:
max225 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 pm
Mods always made me :rage: but I didn't learn until I was almost 30.... almost every mod had a downside... Now after sticking to OEM only... no more downsides. Live and learn.
Yep. I basically do wheels, tires, and sometimes suspension mods. Everything else are just little nice to have accessories for the interior or cosmetic things.

Blows my mind when people talk about putting an intake or exhaust on an S2000. 1. It's really loud stock already. Plenty of noise at redline. 2. You think a 2.0 liter, making 120 hp/liter, designed in the late 90s by one of the best engine manufacturers on the planet, left horsepower on the table with design that some hillbilly solved with some tubing and sells on eBay?
CONICAL FILTER BRO! UNLEASH THE POWA. Also gotta slam it to the ground... to get extra handling.

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Beetle, AWD Egg, JLU

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Exactly.

Other than OEM I've yet to get an exhaust that didn't drone, or make some other obnoxious sounds that scream "Look at me, I'm still 16 and would LOVE to get a ticket!!"

After the Mustang in 2015 I think all my cars have been pretty much stock, other than the tune on the 911 and now JB4 on the R. I did a drop in filter on the Z06 after trying the Halltech intake for about a week. I'd rather avoid small headaches over nothing worth the time anymore.
No bueno on the Stingah?
Wasn't a fan.

Didn't see/feel any gains over the Burger air filter. I had the AFE on my Z51 and had the same conclusion. Plus, the Stinger made you reroute a coolant line and could be a sticking point with any warranty work for overheating.. Ended up buying another coolant hose for $120 to go back to stock.

That was a $1200 and a couple hour experiment that was pointless.
I'm on my last bag of peas.

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Beetle, AWD Egg, JLU

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm

max225 wrote:
MrH42 wrote:

CONICAL FILTER BRO! UNLEASH THE POWA. Also gotta slam it to the ground... to get extra handling.
You get it.

Everybody: This guy fucks.
I'm on my last bag of peas.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:13 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm

No bueno on the Stingah?
Wasn't a fan.

Didn't see/feel any gains over the Burger air filter. I had the AFE on my Z51 and had the same conclusion. Plus, the Stinger made you reroute a coolant line and could be a sticking point with any warranty work for overheating.. Ended up buying another coolant hose for $120 to go back to stock.

That was a $1200 and a couple hour experiment that was pointless.
Yeah the prices on Halltech are stupid.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

MrH42
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm

max225 wrote:
MrH42 wrote:

:pftch: My S2000 maybe be lowered a bit...

My stock shocks needed replacing! And if I was going to go with a big ole wide, square setup, I had to get some more camber to make them fit nicely. But never cheap out on coilovers. That's the rule.

wap
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm
wap wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Hard core. :impressive:
I was never awake at 6:00 am during the summer. :lol:
From about 8 - 12 I was up at the crack of dawn and ready to ride my bike with my friends all day long. We would meet up and go ride, then go to the Arcade to play video games, get lunch at Stanford shopping center and ride some more. about 13 I started getting into my lazy, sleep until noon stay up until 6am watching VHS rentals phase. Tower Video was awesome back in the day, maybe better than the record shop side of the store.
:) Bike riding, video game arcades, VHS rentals til all hours drinking Big Gulps to stay awake. Yep, sounds like my childhood, too. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Apex
Drives: CookieMonster

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm

wap wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm

From about 8 - 12 I was up at the crack of dawn and ready to ride my bike with my friends all day long. We would meet up and go ride, then go to the Arcade to play video games, get lunch at Stanford shopping center and ride some more. about 13 I started getting into my lazy, sleep until noon stay up until 6am watching VHS rentals phase. Tower Video was awesome back in the day, maybe better than the record shop side of the store.
:) Bike riding, video game arcades, VHS rentals til all hours drinking Big Gulps to stay awake. Yep, sounds like my childhood, too. :like:
Big Gulps????

Clearly Bloomberg wasn’t your mayor. :lolol:

max225
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesl ... 26006.html

Biggest market is down 50% stock :aintcare: here is a record for you... :wtf:

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Trailcock / Jizz Rocket

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:56 pm

dubshow wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:20 pm
Drove the mullet mobile today. Impressions later. It’s pretty good.
cumMaro?
Camullet
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillermangler Extraordinaire
Garage: 2019 Trailcock | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm
max225 wrote:

You get it.

Everybody: This guy fucks.
Which one, the Russian, or the Lesbotwagon driver?

They're fucking each other? :notsure:
Zildor the Magnificent
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.

wap
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:38 pm

Apex wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm
wap wrote:

Big Gulps????

Clearly Bloomberg wasn’t your mayor. :lolol:
Life long Chicagoan :bruh:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Brub Tub and Kamry \\W

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32 am

I mean... I mod some :iono:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:04 am

D Griff wrote:

It really depends on what you're doing. It's not that OEMs design poorly, but they do design to fit mass markets, to sell at a certain price, etc. Going to track your car? It's going to need some shit. Going to do serious offroading? Most things will need some shit.

The exhaust made me like my BMW 100% more, it's way less boring with some snap, crackle, pop. Things that majorly sacrifice reliability for a daily are a :nope: though.

Believe it or not, some things can be done for enjoyment rather than just financial gainz and fiscal responsibility.
:dat:
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.
...doesn’t argue cars on a political forum

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Red Miata

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:20 am

D Griff wrote:

yes.
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: C5

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 am

Wait so you guys don't take your sensible AWD Japanese station wagon daily drivers and do coilovers, mad cambers, forged :ramz: with PSS, highly bolstered seats, custom audio, high comp pistons, cylinder boring, deck the heads with thinner gaskets, lighter crankshaft, headers, and custom exhaust? Then blow the engine a year later and have to buy another daily while you fox your daily?

:wrong: ?

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:17 am

Most cars can be made more fun with a rear sway bar and exhaust or intake for some noises, or stickier tires. Diminishing gains after that stuff and usually induces a ton of compromise.

MrH42
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am

D Griff wrote:

I usually find it's way cheaper and better to just buy cars suited to do that from the start.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:43 am

MrH42 wrote:
D Griff wrote:

I usually find it's way cheaper and better to just buy cars suited to do that from the start.
:notwrong:

but arguably some of us find enjoyment in modding.
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.
...doesn’t argue cars on a political forum

Johnny_P

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am

So, the Camerica-o

Driving this thing is pretty fun. It’s fucking FAST and sounds good. Handles great. Take off ramps 2x the warning speed with no issue. 245 front 275 rear it feels stable. I’m sure it would oversteer with throttle. More on that in a bit. Steering feels artificial but wheel is small and it’s quick to change direction. It tram lines a bit so maybe artificial steering works.

Ride is too rough for shit city streets. With mag dampers it might be better. Could use more tire sidewall but these 20s look good. We took it into Houston city and meh, it wouldn’t work well at all for Philly. But it’s pretty good on the highway not much to complain about and it’s damped better than most cars we’ve rented out here.

Visibility isn’t as bad when driving it. It has a rear view camera that is on the shark fin antenna and provides good rear visibility. It’s terrible if you just use the mirror. Blind spot monitors help, and just point the mirrors 45 deg out and it’s do able. Hard to see stop lights if you’re first in line. A little hard to place on a tight road but manageable.

Trans is great. Shifts are well sorted no hunting. Paddles respond super fast. Fun ripping through a handful of gears just to get to 60. Pull and hold the left paddle while decelerating and you get BRAAP crackle POP from the exhaust as it blips to the lowest gear it can hold. I’d choose this trans. I bet it’s more fun with real manual but this is great.

Engine is a peach and sounds awesome revving out. Pulls hard to redline. Goes into 4cyl on highway and takes a half second to wake up. The 275s have no chance of taming this beast they hop and scream through the first handful of gears.

So the downsides....
The engine doesn’t sound good at low RPM. It sounds like a rock crusher or something. And even with the 4cyl fuckery it is only getting 20 mpg.
Interior is a mixed bag of meh. 4K miles on this and it’s squeaking and buzzing. I think just from the firm ride. Why is the info screen pointed down this makes no sense. Door pockets suck. Cup holders suck. No place to stash your phone easily that sucks. The climate control bezel turning party trick is stupid and they take up way too much room. Gauge cluster is half digi half analog and seems ok but I feel could have been implemented better. Minor complaint though. Rear seat damn near useless and not even dog certified.

One odd thing. The focal points for all these systems are different. It has a HUD. And between the HUD, the rear mirror camera, the gauges, and the tilted down infotainment, your eyes are constantly refocusing. It was a little straining on my eyes.

This would be a fun car to own. Challenging to live with. The chally is set up better for DD and road trips. Our chally didn’t have a V8 so I can’t exactly compare but the mero is more fun.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56 am

D Griff wrote:

:meata: exhaust is 100% for the lulz and :megusta:
Zildor the Magnificent

MrH42
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am

4zilch wrote:
MrH42 wrote:

As much as 16 year old me thought I could turn a Mazda Protege5 into a race car, I had no idea how far off it was from actually being that.

Johnny_P

Zillon wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56 am
D Griff wrote:

:meata: exhaust is 100% for the lulz and :megusta:
The cheese sounds awesome.

CaleDeRoo
Drives: C5

4zilch wrote:
MrH42 wrote:

Much enjoy wow

Huckleberry
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2004 GTO

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:03 pm

I like turning wrenches, but modding your only car is for 20 year olds. It's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable to be able to do what I want with a secondary vehicle without the mad dash to meet a Monday morning deadline so I can get to work. I'm not adverse to modifying a primary vehicle, but it would be things that don't affect driving manners or comfort. The only stock vehicle I own is the GTI, and I really don't feel like adversely affecting its warranty because it is also the only vehicle where the repairs are not on me.

• Information