Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:42 am

Did you flail your arms around and then go on a bike ride?
:lolol:

I was just like "sorry if you're worried about this but I will be continuing to :doit: " and she consented. I will say though, TNIA seems more dangerous than NASA events and stuff by far where they have actual instructors and shit. Track Night you can just be like "yeah, I'm advanced :bruh: , here's a tech form I completed myself and I'm going to go rip it at 160 MPH in my broken Camaro at Charlotte Motor Speedway for my first track time ever".
Different organizations have varying degrees of safety, from my experience.
All in all doe, track events are pretty safe. Safer than my dumbass on a MTB. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:52 am

I was just like "sorry if you're worried about this but I will be continuing to :doit: " and she consented. I will say though, TNIA seems more dangerous than NASA events and stuff by far where they have actual instructors and shit. Track Night you can just be like "yeah, I'm advanced :bruh: , here's a tech form I completed myself and I'm going to go rip it at 160 MPH in my broken Camaro at Charlotte Motor Speedway for my first track time ever".
All in all doe, track events are pretty safe. Safer than my dumbass on a MTB. :lol:
I agree with all of that. I'm surprised she doesn't seem to mind MTB at all, I was just glad she still wants to ride her bike after her incident.

My buddy crashing was his own fault... he went full :plaid: on lap one, session one, first time ever tracking in that car or really tracking a street car in general... all at a track with walls everywhere. I go full :plaid: pretty much only at Carolina Motorsports Park where I've mostly mastered the course and there's runoff everywhere.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

I agree with all of that. I'm surprised she doesn't seem to mind MTB at all, I was just glad she still wants to ride her bike after her incident.

My buddy crashing was his own fault... he went full :plaid: on lap one, session one, first time ever tracking in that car or really tracking a street car in general... all at a track with walls everywhere. I go full :plaid: pretty much only at Carolina Motorsports Park where I've mostly mastered the course and there's runoff everywhere.
User error is a bitch.
Also, glad to hear she still wants to bike! That’s was a wicked accident she had.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

GoPro footage mang!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:42 am

Did you flail your arms around and then go on a bike ride?

Just get a life insurance policy. She'll be buying you VIR gift certificates.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:29 am
Sure, there's safety risk, but it's not THAT bad. It's just for cruising around town, but I find it surprisingly fun.
Yeah I'm all for it. My wife just thinks a lot of things are dangerous. She got super :triggered: when my friend crashed at the Track Night in June and was all worried about me doing events. :ohwell: To VIR tomorrow!
Pics of friend's crash?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Just get a life insurance policy. She'll be buying you VIR gift certificates.
:notbad: I could :poop: the bed doing what I love.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am

Yeah I'm all for it. My wife just thinks a lot of things are dangerous. She got super :triggered: when my friend crashed at the Track Night in June and was all worried about me doing events. :ohwell: To VIR tomorrow!
Pics of friend's crash?
He was really embarrassed (which is dumb, you should sort of expect something like that to happen eventually) and didn't want pics taken. But it is rather fucked. Scrapes down the entire right side with the headlight, fender, and bumper cover all fucked, door and rear panel will need bondo/paint by someone really skilled. It probably wouldn't have been that bad on a car not made out of plastic... It is a 2008 Corvette Z51 in black. Sub 30K miles too.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:57 pm Pics of friend's crash?
He was really embarrassed (which is dumb, you should sort of expect something like that to happen eventually) and didn't want pics taken. But it is rather fucked. Scrapes down the entire right side with the headlight, fender, and bumper cover all fucked, door and rear panel will need bondo/paint by someone really skilled. It probably wouldn't have been that bad on a car not made out of plastic... It is a 2008 Corvette Z51 in black. Sub 30K miles too.
Sounds familiar. It's cheaper/easier to replace every panel than try to repair.

It's probably cheaper still to part the car out and buy a new one.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:03 pm
D Griff wrote:

:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote:

:word:

He is trying to sell a 197x Nova to fund the repair, evidently the quote was pretty :waxer: The dude is only like 25 and doesn't have much money so it sucks. Had the car for maybe a month prior to that and is making payments on it while waiting to repair. He did just get a new job that pays more :doe:

I would just drive it as-is while waiting to repair I think. It looks bad but is completely driveable.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:03 pm Sounds familiar. It's cheaper/easier to replace every panel than try to repair.

He is trying to sell a 197x Nova to fund the repair, evidently the quote was pretty :waxer: The dude is only like 25 and doesn't have much money so it sucks. Had the car for maybe a month prior to that and is making payments on it while waiting to repair. He did just get a new job that pays more :doe:

I would just drive it as-is while waiting to repair I think. It looks bad but is completely driveable.
Imperfect used body panels are fairly affordable if you ignore color matching. C6 harlequin edition.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:09 pm
D Griff wrote:

Imperfect used body panels are fairly affordable if you ignore color matching. C6 harlequin edition.
He doesn't really operate that way... he washed it before the track day and looked at mine and was :triggered: by the :disgust: :lolol: I actually keep mine kinda nice-ish too.
troyguitar

Gonna have to paint the whole car to get it all matching anyway. Ask me how I know. :thisisfine:

Probably ~$15-20k all-in to do it all right.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:09 pm
D Griff wrote:

:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Smart man... can't fund a repair, and is balls deep in cars. sigh... some people..
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Went to the VW dillerman to replace the fuel temp harness and get rid of that CE light! -fixed :fuckyeah:

Found out that I made a mistake, the all-in price including tax for the Touareg is how much I expected the pre-tax amount to be. That's 3k cheaper! :fuckyeah:

Golf R is officially paid off as for June 26th! - :fuckyeah:

Three :fuckyeah: one dillerman visit is unparalleled. I will pay 50% of the T-reg off in cash and take the other 50% on my HELOC which is down at 3.2%, gonna take our car note from 1k/mth to 360/mth on household transportation. :megusta:
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm Went to the VW dillerman to replace the fuel temp harness and get rid of that CE light! -fixed :fuckyeah:

Found out that I made a mistake, the all-in price including tax for the Touareg is how much I expected the pre-tax amount to be. That's 3k cheaper! :fuckyeah:

Three :fuckyeah: one dillerman visit is unparalleled. I will pay 50% of the T-reg off in cash and take the other 50% on my HELOC which is down at 3.2%, gonna take our car note from 1k/mth to 360/mth on household transportation. :megusta:
#winning
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Smart man... can't fund a repair, tracked the car so insurance won't cover but still drives hard enough to trash the car and is balls deep in cars. sigh... some people..
Augmented.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Smart man... can't fund a repair, tracked the car so insurance won't cover but still drives hard enough to trash the car and is balls deep in cars. sigh... some people..
Augmented.
It’s all in how you explain the incident to insurance.
Or get track day coverage.
ChrisoftheNorth

Augmented.
:dat:

:impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm Went to the VW dillerman to replace the fuel temp harness and get rid of that CE light! -fixed :fuckyeah:

That's a lot of money for 4:20.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Augmented.
I'm not sure how you can describe that incident to insurance, especially without a police report.

I wouldn't go nuts at a track day without insurance if I knew I couldn't afford to pay to repair/replace the car. Especially a car with a loan!

:impressive: :derp:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Augmented.
What does this run?
max225

Augmented.
Attention to detail is appreciated. :like: