Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:39 pm
75 is the highway cruising sweet spot IMO. I too have zero issue with it, and can do it for hours. I've been doing the 250 miles between the place up state and downstate every week for the last few weeks in my JT, and it's easy at 75. But I also don't see the point in speeding anymore...I'm happy just setting cruise at 75 and :aintcare: No need for detectors or constantly scanning the road paranoid of cops. Life is easier when it's slower for me.

:waxer: does 80+ everywhere, and I imagine Desert does the same. Wrangler is not the right vehicle for that use, it's not pleasurable at all at that speed.
I've driven a JKU Rubicon with the BFG MT's for about 5 hours of two lane driving. Totally agree that 75 is fine, 80 starting to get not fine, 85 is a huge no.
Agreed.

We just paid $1k to rent a Brahoe/equivalent at the end of Sept for a drive out to Tennessee and back. Not going to take the JL on that trip, and the R is a bit too small for what we need to take (Dog, suitcases for 2 weeks, some gifts). The R is fine for us and the :doge: for a 7 day trip, but it's tight.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:39 pm
75 is the highway cruising sweet spot IMO. I too have zero issue with it, and can do it for hours. I've been doing the 250 miles between the place up state and downstate every week for the last few weeks in my JT, and it's easy at 75. But I also don't see the point in speeding anymore...I'm happy just setting cruise at 75 and :aintcare: No need for detectors or constantly scanning the road paranoid of cops. Life is easier when it's slower for me.

:waxer: does 80+ everywhere, and I imagine Desert does the same. Wrangler is not the right vehicle for that use, it's not pleasurable at all at that speed.
Ah yeah that makes much more sense. I never speed anymore. 75 was fast for me :lol: , I generally cruise at the posted speed limit of 65 out here :aintcare:
75 is the posted speed limit on the highway up here. :stig:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Tell us about your toon.
Stock turns to boost to 10.

But with the tune...

IIRC its 280hp/300tq to the wheels.
:fuckyeah: I'm sure that's a ton of fun.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:01 pm

Hamburger?
Yeah, it's JB4.
I returned the Jb4.

Went with an actual flash tune. Bootmod3.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:31 pm I know I’m not as into cars/performance as you guys, but I really don’t think the Wrangler is that bad on the freeway. 180 miles door to door each way this weekend and it felt just fine to me cruising at 75mph. :iono:
I pretty much agree, it is fine. We drove ours to Surfside, FL (near Destin) 600 miles each way and I enjoyed it. But back to back with any "normal" car and it is several categories worse handling. Are you willing to :dealwithit: for the other fun/cool things about a Wrangler? I am still glad we got it and it's still our primary trip car. The ride quality is great, it's just the wandering on the freeway that can be meh.
Ah maybe it’s because I’ve only driven it back to back with Michelle’s POS Mazda3 that is in serious need of some TLC and could probably use some refreshed suspension components and new tires. I hate getting into that thing.

Also drove my parents’/sister’s Camry this weekend to take Michelle from Lancaster to California City so she could see where I grew up.. the ergonomics of that seat absolutely did not work for my body. 45ish miles each way and I was seriously hurting by the time we got back to Lancaster.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:17 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Stock turns to boost to 10.

But with the tune...

IIRC its 280hp/300tq to the wheels.
Tons of midrange, but the rev hang and the heavy as DMFW really make sport shifting impossible.
But even in 6th, there's no need to drop a gear to pass. (means it needs a taller 6th)
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:17 pm
Tons of midrange, but the rev hang and the heavy as DMFW really make sport shifting impossible.
But even in 6th, there's no need to drop a gear to pass. (means it needs a taller 6th)
Surprised rev hang can't be tuned out.

At least the DMFW helps with civility
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Took the car on a drive. These brakes are worse than the Hyundai Elantra I rented in Vegas. Just no bite, no power at all.

This shop... I talked to the guys today before taking the car back. They did have my brake pads. They weren't quite at state inspection failure level but were in fact pretty thin. I actually don't think they were trying to screw me. The discs were likely just "replace it all at once" mentality... which isn't exactly wrong. And they used the parts they normally use, because it hits the price point their customers want. The installation itself seems quality enough, the sounds and stuff I was hearing were due to rotor and pad coatings that they cleaned off today.

But I went to bed the pads and my fucking God these things... no bite.... no front end power. The ABS was kicking on because the rears were locking because I was pressing the pedal so fucking hard to get the car to stop. Fronts are maybe 70% of what they were before this. I'm wondering if some of this will come back as time goes on and the pads bed in further, but I've never had a set of fresh pads be so weak.

Torn here. I don't think they're bad people, and they keep wanting to make it right.... but they want to make it right with their parts and not Subaru OEM or Brembo or any legit parts...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:47 pm Took the car on a drive. These brakes are worse than the Hyundai Elantra I rented in Vegas. Just no bite, no power at all.

This shop... I talked to the guys today before taking the car back. They did have my brake pads. They weren't quite at state inspection failure level but were in fact pretty thin. I actually don't think they were trying to screw me. The discs were likely just "replace it all at once" mentality... which isn't exactly wrong. And they used the parts they normally use, because it hits the price point their customers want. The installation itself seems quality enough, the sounds and stuff I was hearing were due to rotor and pad coatings that they cleaned off today.

But I went to bed the pads and my fucking God these things... no bite.... no front end power. The ABS was kicking on because the rears were locking because I was pressing the pedal so fucking hard to get the car to stop. Fronts are maybe 70% of what they were before this. I'm wondering if some of this will come back as time goes on and the pads bed in further, but I've never had a set of fresh pads be so weak.

Torn here. I don't think they're bad people, and they keep wanting to make it right.... but they want to make it right with their parts and not Subaru OEM or Brembo or any legit parts...
Look man. You fucked this whole thing up because your rational thought process had been destroyed by screaming crotchfruit Own it. Buy new OEM pads. Ask them to install them. If they won't have them installed by someone else. If I had some shop put shit pads on my Waxable Corvette calipers and then it braked like a Daewoo, I would do whatever it took to put the proper pads on and restore my sanity. You can't get behind the wheel of a performance vehicle and have it...........not perform. Just take care of it. This is literally adult spilled milk. Get a rag Johnny.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:47 pm Took the car on a drive. These brakes are worse than the Hyundai Elantra I rented in Vegas. Just no bite, no power at all.

Look man. You fucked this whole thing up because your rational thought process had been destroyed by screaming crotchfruit Own it. Buy new OEM pads. Ask them to install them. If they won't have them installed by someone else. If I had some shop put shit pads on my Waxable Corvette calipers and then it braked like a Daewoo, I would do whatever it took to put the proper pads on and restore my sanity. You can't get behind the wheel of a performance vehicle and have it...........not perform. Just take care of it. This is literally adult spilled milk. Get a rag Johnny.
I’m annoyed at myself for burning $400 like this.
Keep in mind I’ve been unemployed since April with $5k in hospital bills, $15k in home renovation bills, and an infant that shits through 20 diapers a day.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:41 pm

I’m annoyed at myself for burning $400 like this.
Keep in mind I’ve been unemployed since April with $5k in hospital bills, $15k in home renovation bills, and an infant that shits through 20 diapers a day.
I have that in mind and I would be pissed at myself as well. In fact, I would be in full blown anger management mode, which is not a good look. My advice is the same though.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Or, fuck it, use this as an excuse to unload the sound and fury and the CMin, consolidate with one crotchfruit hauler, and be done with it. But if you keep driving that thing with shit pads I'll come kill you myself.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 pm Or, fuck it, use this as an excuse to unload the sound and fury and the CMin, consolidate with one crotchfruit hauler, and be done with it. But if you keep driving that thing with shit pads I'll come kill you myself.
:wrong:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:trollface:

That's probably the best idea, current status out of money and drive the Dai-wood and Cunt-Max just long enough to secure employment, then off both. At least the STi will certify easily. Unless he goes back and they throw another set of pads on it to "get it safe" :lolol:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:16 pm :trollface:

That's probably the best idea, current status out of money and drive the Dai-wood and Cunt-Max just long enough to secure employment, then off both. At least the STi will certify easily. Unless he goes back and they throw another set of pads on it to "get it safe" :lolol:
With the way companies like Carvana and Vroom are appraising used cars, the STI could probably get a killer deal and they can bandaid the CMax until employment happens.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 pm

With the way companies like Carvana and Vroom are appraising used cars, the STI could probably get a killer deal and they can bandaid the CMax until employment happens.
Wanna know what else has gone up in price? A :baby: :doge: , apparently they are selling high end breed pups for upwards to $4K. :themoreyouknow:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 pm With the way companies like Carvana and Vroom are appraising used cars, the STI could probably get a killer deal and they can bandaid the CMax until employment happens.
Wanna know what else has gone up in price? A :baby: :doge: , apparently they are selling high end breed pups for upwards to $4K. :themoreyouknow:
How much is a :baby: human worth? Could get money and cut costs at once.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 pm

My shiba was $2500 but then the breeder wanted $3000 :nope: Ed out
max225

Maybe this is the weird world telling you to get rid of it. get quotes from carmax and carvana or what not. Cut losses and move on.
Johnny_P

I forgot about these.

Zoom: $28,001
Carvana: $28,478

:impressive: payoff is just a hair over $7k. That's a lot of diapers.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Maybe this is the weird world telling you to get rid of it. get quotes from carmax and carvana or what not. Cut losses and move on.
Once again, I can't have nice things because other people just fuck them up.
Johnny_P

I donated $300 to a rescue organization for my pup :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:49 pm

I donated $300 to a rescue organization for my pup :iono:
Yeah totes! The stupid part is that half of these dogs will be put aside when back to work/school goes mainstream. People are so :disappoint:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:48 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Yea and you have different priorities. You have another human to care for and raise right. :whocares: about a toy. Priorities shifted life is still ok y’all are healthy and alive that’s all that matters man.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Yea and you have different priorities. You have another human to care for and raise right. :whocares: about a toy. Priorities shifted life is still ok y’all are healthy and alive that’s all that matters man.
Looks like Zoomvanamax will give me around $28k for it.
After payoff that's $21k :plac: profit.
So that would be $10k to drive it almost 4 years and 15k miles.