Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:10 pm

What cops? they don't come out for anything other than murder in that area... and even murder can take 30-60 min
Sounds like Detroit.
Except do you prosecute cops for shooting armed rioters/robbers?

We fucked cops so hard in this area they give 0 fucks. But like I said... in some areas.

Anything with 7 figure homes is a bit better other than San Jose... This is why we moved.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:11 pm

I don’t watch, yet. I shall check it out!
4th gen sounds interesting too… then again just buying something newer would make more sense but less cool.

What I should really buy is a terminator, but those are :waxer:
Build an ExTerminator with a coyote. Ya, ya IRS, but :aintcare: and probably cheaper.

I do love fox bodies, but it's just crazy what those values have done.
Most likely cheaper! :aintcare: on IRS, JT has enough solid axles. :lol:

Fox bodies just look cool to me.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:49 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:26 pm I'm cool with people tuning their car and blowing them up. I dont care if some high school vape bro buys a tuned car and subsequently :nuke: it.

I mostly get annoyed by bros who straight pipe their coyotes or anyone with anti-lag tunes.

But above all, I get annoyed people in the car community who can't fucking drive, and/or are unwilling to share the road with those who can.
I hate straight piped coyotes or anything from the FCA family doing the same shit. It is the 5.slow of our current generation as far as menace is concerned.

Ya'll see this?

Go to 12;15
Slideshows are :gay:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm
Piggybacking stand alone stuff is different, I'm just talking about the days of plugging a laptop into the ODBII port and re-writing the factory cals...those days are numbered. I actually find the standalone stuff fascinating, and the progress its made for enabling engine swaps and whatnot is :impressive: It makes me want to build a car again because it would be much easier than before.

I bought long tube headers for my C5 with cats. I took it to tuners who said I was "dumb" leaving "an easy 15-20whp on the table". I'll never forget the call I got from my last dyno tuner when it turned 440 whp...he was in shock. "Guess those cats aren't much of a restriction huh?" he didn't respond. You can have fun and be kind to the planet, cats haven't been super restrictive for decades, especially aftermarket.
If those standalone systems were around when we bought the harness and computer for my dad's Impala, that is definitely the route we would have taken. The software is much more user-friendly than HP Tuners or EFI Live, and you don't have to buy credits for every damn car you connect to. What I would love to see is one of those companies offer a plug-in PCM that could replace the factory unit altogether and simply plugs into the factory harness. THAT would be a gamechanger for the older EFI stuff.

The other glorious thing about cats is that they act as a resonator and help fight exhaust drone.
That was a big reason I got catted long tubed for the C5. I had one car in my life without mufflers, and it was my 951 that was straight piped after the cat. Between the turbro and the cats, it had zero drone, and actually cruised relatively quiet. It was stupid loud at WOT, but I still really loved it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm
Build an ExTerminator with a coyote. Ya, ya IRS, but :aintcare: and probably cheaper.

I do love fox bodies, but it's just crazy what those values have done.
Most likely cheaper! :aintcare: on IRS, JT has enough solid axles. :lol:

Fox bodies just look cool to me.
They look super cool, especially liftbacks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:12 pm
Sounds like Detroit.
Except do you prosecute cops for shooting armed rioters/robbers?

We fucked cops so hard in this area they give 0 fucks. But like I said... in some areas.

Anything with 7 figure homes is a bit better other than San Jose... This is why we moved.
Cops just don't do anything in Detroit. We had people racing crotchrockets down our residential street in the middle of the day, easily doing 70mph+, called the cops and they asked if someone was injured, we said no, and they said it wasn't a priority.

At night, we had people threaten us with guns after parking ON OUR FRONT LAWN at 3am because the "bullshit clubs closed and the party was still hot". Called the cops, they asked if someone was shot, no, "not a priority".

We moved 2 miles north to the leafy suburban paradise and the cops were so bored that they'd drive around and ticket people for doing unpermitted work...the PO of our old house got a ticket for installing a paver walkway without a permit.

I'm happiest here. There's no cops, but there's also no people up to no good. Worst we've had is some kids got hammered and partied at our waterfront in the middle of the night and left a bunch of trash behind.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:58 pm

I have a stupid desire to swap a fox body… having a garage is going to let me do dumb shit. :lol:
Do you watch hotrod garage? They swapped a Coyote into later 4th gen, and it looks awesome and turned out pretty :neat: Those things are dirt cheap compared to fox bodies now, and probably handle better out of the box with just as much aftermarket support. That would be :neat:

I also still randomly want a 4th gen f-body, even though I know they suck.
I get the same inkling some times, as with a 3rd Gen, but then I sit in one and remember why I actually don't.

A Coyote in a New Edge Mach 1 could be cool, or drop one in a Crown Vic.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:50 pm
4zilch wrote:I'm cool with people tuning their car and blowing them up. I dont care if some high school vape bro buys a tuned car and subsequently :nuke: it.

I mostly get annoyed by bros who straight pipe their coyotes or anyone with anti-lag tunes.

But above all, I get annoyed people in the car community who can't fucking drive, and/or are unwilling to share the road with those who can.
Down here it's the bikes that are the most obnoxious, plus obviously the pickup trucks.

I'd be 100% down with some sound level enforcement. Noise pollution is worse than the tiny amount of extra emissions from tuned cars.
Admittedly I'm not consistent here. The KTM is loud - though not as loud as my old KTM (progress!). I mostly get annoyed at Harley's being loud for the sake of being loud - and then taking FOREVER to move beyond uncomfortable loud. A loud thing moving quickly is less bothersome. Save for the occasional GSXR 600 with little to no muffling at peak RPM - they hit a pitch that makes your ears itch.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Do you watch hotrod garage? They swapped a Coyote into later 4th gen, and it looks awesome and turned out pretty :neat: Those things are dirt cheap compared to fox bodies now, and probably handle better out of the box with just as much aftermarket support. That would be :neat:

I get the same inkling some times, as with a 3rd Gen, but then I sit in one and remember why I actually don't.

A Coyote in a New Edge Mach 1 could be cool, or drop one in a Crown Vic.
:notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Down here it's the bikes that are the most obnoxious, plus obviously the pickup trucks.

I'd be 100% down with some sound level enforcement. Noise pollution is worse than the tiny amount of extra emissions from tuned cars.
I also 100% back sound level enforcement. I had some loud cars in my day, but nothing like what's running around now.

Up here, it's straight piped trucks. Rusting to shit with half assed lifts and trump flags, flooring it off every red light to make the most noise :disgust:
Yeah we get that shit here. I live on the edge of town so we get a lot of hillbilly traffic on our road. Lots of beat to shit pick-up trucks with open exhaust manifolds.

Also towing empty trailers - god damn theyre loud too - and they manage to hit the bump in front of the house every damn time.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:58 pm I have a stupid desire to swap a fox body… having a garage is going to let me do dumb shit. Image

4th gens don't suck with mods, but they're basically a worse C5 and effectively cost about the same.

It's 3rd gens that unfortunately suck, which is sad because they look awesome and I have always wanted one.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:50 pm Down here it's the bikes that are the most obnoxious, plus obviously the pickup trucks.

Admittedly I'm not consistent here. The KTM is loud - though not as loud as my old KTM (progress!). I mostly get annoyed at Harley's being loud for the sake of being loud - and then taking FOREVER to move beyond uncomfortable loud. A loud thing moving quickly is less bothersome. Save for the occasional GSXR 600 with little to no muffling at peak RPM - they hit a pitch that makes your ears itch.
I used to never care, but now that I live on a main road in a semi-urban area I have a new-found hatred for loud vehicles. Especially when they are doing 60+ mph at midnight on our 35 mph road.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Do you watch hotrod garage? They swapped a Coyote into later 4th gen, and it looks awesome and turned out pretty :neat: Those things are dirt cheap compared to fox bodies now, and probably handle better out of the box with just as much aftermarket support. That would be :neat:

4th gens don't suck with mods, but they're basically a worse C5 and effectively cost about the same.

It's 3rd gens that unfortunately suck, which is sad because they look awesome and I have always wanted one.
You'll spend more than you would on a C5 and have an equal vehicle at best.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:37 pm
4zilch wrote:
I used to never care, but now that I live on a main road in a semi-urban area I have a new-found hatred for loud vehicles. Especially when they are doing 60+ mph at midnight on our 35 mph road.
We lived close to the 696 on-ramp and woodward (the same service drive we took my dad's Vagon down), and ALL NIGHT we had to listen to loud ass things racing WOT down the onramp. Every hour of the night, completely obnoxious. Ever since I'm :nope:

It's worse now where I live because you can't even hear cars anywhere. Boats going :stig: with thru-hull exhaust is about all we hear, and even that's rare.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:37 pm
4zilch wrote:
Random question about the house. Are the windows old, nor not recently installed. If so, the new windows truly make a huge difference.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Hottest dad garage of 2001?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:58 pm Image

Great pic man. New Balance Lyfe!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:14 am

Great pic man. New Balance Lyfe!
I waited to wear them until I got the :poorvette: down here
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Socks are too low.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:51 am

Socks are too low.
:dat:
Over the calf up to the knee or :gtfo:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Wonder :wtf: the neighbors are thinking 😂
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:45 am

I was out drinking, cleaning my wheels, and polishing my tips until 2am. Passed out in this chair for a bit. The 3 chicks across the street had 5 friends over...

I probably should have brought a big sausage pizza over there instead but my tips do look about 70% clean now
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

They'd show you what cleaning tips really means...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:03 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:51 am

Socks are too low.
You know, I was trying to place my finger on what exactly was missing, and you nailed it.

Need some fresh white calf socks, Cale. Stat.

Those chicks across the street won’t know what hit ‘em.

I'd rock the socks but I don't want that tan line.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:55 am
max225 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:45 am

I was out drinking, cleaning my wheels, and polishing my tips until 2am. Passed out in this chair for a bit. The 3 chicks across the street had 5 friends over...

I probably should have brought a big sausage pizza over there instead but my tips do look about 70% clean now
The chicks across the street...they hot?