Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm

The only time I demodded a vehicle was when I traded in a truck that had headers on it. I left the headers on and the dealer called me the next day asking for the manifolds back. I said, "Sure. Give me the headers, then."

I gave them the stock pieces and they gave me the headers.

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about pulling parts off and trying to sell them separately. It's a huge pain in the ass weeding out the no-money-having, low-balling cheapskates.
:dat: I usually leave my shit modded, unless I can use on the next thing I own, or if something is unusually hard to find/discontinued.
Yep. I was just "gifted" an 88 Firebird from my cousin. It has been sitting in his parents' gravel driveway for a decade. It has the SLP ZR1 wheels on it, which are discontinued, and some other items. I plan on pulling it apart and scrapping the shell. I'll probably use the 700R4 in it for the El Camino.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pmCompare it to the STI.
How's the ride quality?
Hows the throttle response?
Hows the ride?
How are the brakes?
What shit trans is in it? 8 speed auto from the silverado and c6?

20mpg seems fine for something that has nearly 3x the displacement of the STI and is being piloted by the GOONSQUAD
Compared to the STI.... This thing is a rocket and the STI is a kid's toy.

Ride is damped better but just as harsh I think. It's hard for me to assess because they're not being driven over the same roads. The roads in TX are all concrete bullshit, the roads in Philly are all potholed asphalt. So I dunno really. The better damping means little to no bouncy ride, but we have slammed the bump stops almost daily in it. We took it into the city center and :mahtroy: it was a real mixed bag. The ride.... yeah I'd go mag ride on it because it was really harsh on those lesser quality roads. The car felt really heavy and just like it was pounding the pavement. No sidewalls on the tires either, that might have more to do with it really.

Turn in isn't as good as the STI but the steering is just as quick. STI has more feedback through the wheel but I don't know if that matters so much really. If you're driving it hard I guess yes. You feel more connected to the STI but the Camaro feels more capable. Grip wise, this has more grip. It has more tire so that's somewhat expected. Where the STI will boogie it's tail a little this just sticks. So maybe a little less entertaining? But the speeds you carry around turns are eye opening.

Brakes feel strong, there's some sort of boost to them after you go deep into the pedal. No fading but we aren't driving it super hard on twisty canyon roads because texas is just oil and cattle fields.

Throttle response is great being an NA motor. The pedal isn't as touchy as the STI which is nice. I miss NA motors, man. They're so responsive.

Trans is awesome. It's the new Schwinn-o-matic 10 speed. Shifts are faster than I can do with a 6MT. Paddles are surprisingly immediate in every drive mode. In sport it'll hold the gear for a few seconds after you let off the throttle just in case, but it'll still go to 10th gear on the highway when you're not into it. It basically never gear hunts. Sport is awesome, we've just been leaving it in that. Hold the paddle coming up to a stop sign and it braaps and crackles and lol inducing noises come out as the engine revs all the way up and the trans selects lowest gear. The "annoying" thing is it'll drop to 4cyl on the highway, so when you want some go power it kind of shudders a half second while it gets the other 4 cylinders back online and you get a slight hesitation. Happens while the trans downshifts. Other than that, it's smooth and well sorted.
Ah interesting so they got the fraud 10 speed collab thing. I didn't mind that trans, it isn't a "true 10 speed" they have "hidden gears" all over that essentially only come into play when you "pass" people. Some :fullretard: shit if you ask me but if it works it works, I didn't mind it in the nutstang.

I am suprised to hear about the steering... I liked the STI steering a fair amount.

I am not surprised to hear about some of the handling though.. the camero has a lower COG so it is a bit more "sport car" vs econo car in the STI.

Also :impressive: that you're averaging more in that vs a 4 banger... but that was expected.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I mean I’m driving almost all highway. 20 mpg is worse than my STI will get in same conditions. That will get 24-26.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm

The problem out here is California SMOG inspections. They are the responsibility of the seller, so if they wanted the dealer you trade in with could hold you responsible at their work rate to make the car "correct". It has just recently become a real concern lately as some dealers have decided to push this and not just eat it. I think it only happens on cars they don't take to auction and want to sell on their lot though.
Add another reason to the long list of reasons as to why I'll never live in California.
Well, that's fine and all, but like they say.... California is leading the country on these things. Just look how many states have adopted California's ridiculous and repetitive gun laws that have not had any impact on crime or deaths. All they do is inconvenience the law abiding citizens that want to exercise their second amendment rights. Same thing is coming for all cars.. some states already require CARB and you can bet your ass if the California Senators stay in their seats, or God forbid someone like Gavin Newsom becomes POTUS, everyone is capital FUCKED.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 pm I mean I’m driving almost all highway. 20 mpg is worse than my STI will get in same conditions. That will get 24-26.
Dat automatic with cylinder deactivation is a scam.

My 1LE with fatter tires and manual trans with no active displacement could get 25 if I watched what I was doing.

My C7s were the same, manuals but if in "ECO" mode to enable the cylinder deactivation MPGs would actually drop due to coming in and out of active displacement. My Z51 would max out about 29 and the Z06 was 26ish. 7th gear, no massive throttle movements, just cruising at 70-80 mph. The AD programming sucked so it would never stay in the 4 cyl mode for more than a minute and then would jump out and try to go back in with any in and out of the throttle at all.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 pm I mean I’m driving almost all highway. 20 mpg is worse than my STI will get in same conditions. That will get 24-26.
Dat automatic with cylinder deactivation is a scam.

My 1LE with fatter tires and manual trans with no active displacement could get 25 if I watched what I was doing.

My C7s were the same, manuals but if in "ECO" mode to enable the cylinder deactivation MPGs would actually drop due to coming in and out of active displacement. My Z51 would max out about 29 and the Z06 was 26ish. 7th gear, no massive throttle movements, just cruising at 70-80 mph. The AD programming sucked so it would never stay in the 4 cyl mode for more than a minute and then would jump out and try to go back in with any in and out of the throttle at all.
I got 32 doing 60-65mph for an hour in a Hertz 2019 Mullet SS w/ auto.

70-80mph is too fast to stay in V4.
Had a Yukon XL which would return 22 Hwy if you kept it in V4 mode, which meant no more 70-75mph.

Re: downshifting by holding gear down paddle is hilarious and the fact it’d even throw it in 1st makes for some fun moments.
Coming to a stop at a light downtown and you go BWRAA pop pop BWRUHH like a true D-bag. Loved it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:19 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Well, to be honest, most of your points were brought up by me 2 years ago when I bought the 1LE, and everyone said I was :wrong: or didn't care because they said the car was complete shit (without any extended time driving one).
I liked your 1LE.

I didn't like it's oil consumption issues, :doe:
Dat 2 cycle fumigator Ellis
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

did :waxer:. get cancelled?

if so that's :wrong:
:lol:

I'm just so tired of this radical shit that I've actually been contemplating quitting the internet and only using it for information look up.

Pretty sad, if I'm being honest. I've been on the internet before it was really known as such to anyone that wasn't a nerd. Way before AOL, when USENET was bleeding edge. Back then you could agree to disagree and not make threats to impact someone's life... Even if they happened to be seen talking to the current POTUS that is, in fact "your president", no matter if you like it or not. I lived through 8 years of Michelle Obama being president and didn't try to bring down anyone that liked her, or even talked to her.

Can I join your compound?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm Add another reason to the long list of reasons as to why I'll never live in California.
Well, that's fine and all, but like they say.... California is leading the country on these things. Just look how many states have adopted California's ridiculous and repetitive gun laws that have not had any impact on crime or deaths. All they do is inconvenience the law abiding citizens that want to exercise their second amendment rights. Same thing is coming for all cars.. some states already require CARB and you can bet your ass if the California Senators stay in their seats, or God forbid someone like Gavin Newsom becomes POTUS, everyone is capital FUCKED.
Look out, Obama is going to take your guns!

Guns are more important than life itself!

I didn't think that you were a trumptard but I'm not surprised.
max225

Ah gawd lets keep politics out of this. We don't need to go more :fullretard: on this.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:31 pm

I didn't think that you were a trumptard but I'm not surprised.
I'm not at all, he's rediculous. However, I have a certain amount to respect for anyone that holds the office and I am country before party. I voted for an independent, but my vote didn't count and went to Hillary anyway, because California and the electoral college system.

The side show we've been seeing by the butthurt lefties since the election only makes the country look weak to our adversaries.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 pm Ah gawd lets keep politics out of this. We don't need to go more :fullretard: on this.
Sorry, had to defend my position on the orange guy, otherwise Troy will claim I love him for many months to come.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 pm Ah gawd lets keep politics out of this. We don't need to go more :fullretard: on this.
Sorry, had to defend my position on the orange guy, otherwise Troy will claim I love him for many months to come.
I’m just trying to talk cars... we know how far left this forum leans.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm Sorry, had to defend my position on the orange guy, otherwise Troy will claim I love him for many months to come.
I’m just trying to talk cars... we know how far left this forum leans.
Do we? It's a bunch of right wing bootstrap bros and a couple of centrists... There are no leftists in this country.

The idea that any D is "weaker" than the global embarrassment of the trumpkin is fucking delusional. No one elected to national office has ever been weaker of mind than him.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 pm
max225 wrote: I’m just trying to talk cars... we know how far left this forum leans.
Do we? It's a bunch of right wing bootstrap bros and a couple of centrists... There are no leftists in this country.

The idea that any D is "weaker" than the global embarrassment of the trumpkin is fucking delusional. No one elected to national office has ever been weaker of mind than him.
:notsure:
max225

Anywhooor. What else is new in car lands. When is the new bronco coming ?’
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 pm Anywhooor. What else is new in car lands. When is the new bronco coming ?’
When trump is gone.

:trollface:
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 pm Anywhooor. What else is new in car lands. When is the new bronco coming ?’
When trump is gone.

:lolol:
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:
When trump is gone.

Better than waiting for max to ever be :wrong: about anything. Dudebro just throws his half-assed opinions out as :fax: and then gets pissy when challenged.

Guess what, max, mods aren't all stupid and this place isn't leftist. You want discussion? Then defend your claims.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm
fledonfoot wrote:
When trump is gone.

Better than waiting for max to ever be :wrong: about anything. Dudebro just throws his half-assed opinions out as :fax: and then gets pissy when challenged.

Guess what, max, mods aren't all stupid and this place isn't leftist. You want discussion? Then defend your claims.
:ayfkm:

Pot, meet kettle.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm Better than waiting for max to ever be :wrong: about anything. Dudebro just throws his half-assed opinions out as :fax: and then gets pissy when challenged.

:ayfkm:

Pot, meet kettle.
Yeah you know me, always backing down from my claims. Oh wait.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm:popcorn:
:dat:
troyguitar

I'm going to bed but I'll be back to argue about this tomorrow, it's more interesting than talking about stupid trucks anyway. This is a forum full of rich white dudes, they're not leftists.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:45 pm I'm going to bed but I'll be back to argue about this tomorrow, it's more interesting than talking about stupid trucks anyway. This is a forum full of rich white dudes, they're not leftists.
You need Reddit.