Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 pm Remember when America meant everyone could have an opinion?

Now if you don't agree with the illogical masses you get hunted down and your life as you know it is over.
did :waxer:. get cancelled?

if so that's :wrong:
:lol:

I'm just so tired of this radical shit that I've actually been contemplating quitting the internet and only using it for information look up.

Pretty sad, if I'm being honest. I've been on the internet before it was really known as such to anyone that wasn't a nerd. Way before AOL, when USENET was bleeding edge. Back then you could agree to disagree and not make threats to impact someone's life... Even if they happened to be seen talking to the current POTUS that is, in fact "your president", no matter if you like it or not. I lived through 8 years of Michelle Obama being president and didn't try to bring down anyone that liked her, or even talked to her.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:04 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 pm FWIW, I don’t think anyone, ok maybe just me, is hiding behind the :wrong: emoji. Often I just don’t feel like articulating my position in another :deadhorse: discussion
:wrong:
:mahman:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am

I've grown out of it.

I now want to buy a car as I want it from the factory.

Plus... since I'm never really tied to a car, modding and demodding a car when it inevitably gets the :plac: is exhausting.
The only time I demodded a vehicle was when I traded in a truck that had headers on it. I left the headers on and the dealer called me the next day asking for the manifolds back. I said, "Sure. Give me the headers, then."

I gave them the stock pieces and they gave me the headers.

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about pulling parts off and trying to sell them separately. It's a huge pain in the ass weeding out the no-money-having, low-balling cheapskates.
The problem out here is California SMOG inspections. They are the responsibility of the seller, so if they wanted the dealer you trade in with could hold you responsible at their work rate to make the car "correct". It has just recently become a real concern lately as some dealers have decided to push this and not just eat it. I think it only happens on cars they don't take to auction and want to sell on their lot though.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm Nobody cares about my mullet review :foreveralone:
Did yours have dual exhaust tips or single?

I drove a manual one around some rural roads back in the fall and loved it. The shifter felt really good and the auto reply match worked perfectly. I shut it off and had fun doing it my self but in a high traffic area it would definitely come in handy. Pull up to a light/traffic? Clutch in, and throw the bitch in first for a perfect BRAPP CRACKLE. I thought the seats were great but also noticed the lack of storage. I don't think I'd have any problem owning one but my driving is 99% empty highways, suburbs, and rural roads.
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am

I've grown out of it.

I now want to buy a car as I want it from the factory.

Plus... since I'm never really tied to a car, modding and demodding a car when it inevitably gets the :plac: is exhausting.
The only time I demodded a vehicle was when I traded in a truck that had headers on it. I left the headers on and the dealer called me the next day asking for the manifolds back. I said, "Sure. Give me the headers, then."

Otherwise, I'm not too concerned about pulling parts off and trying to sell them separately. It's a huge pain in the ass weeding out the no-money-having, low-balling cheapskates.
:dat: I usually leave my shit modded, unless I can use on the next thing I own, or if something is unusually hard to find/discontinued.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm Nobody cares about my mullet review :foreveralone:
Well, to be honest, most of your points were brought up by me 2 years ago when I bought the 1LE, and everyone said I was :wrong: or didn't care because they said the car was complete shit (without any extended time driving one).
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm
I'm just so tired of this radical shit that I've actually been contemplating quitting the internet and only using it for information look up.
:dat:

I've weeded down a lot of my social media because of it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Well, to be honest, most of your points were brought up by me 2 years ago when I bought the 1LE, and everyone said I was :wrong: or didn't care because they said the car was complete shit (without any extended time driving one).
1LE is still something I'd buy, it's just a bit out of my price range.
(Truthfully I need to price them out again.)
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 pm FWIW, I don’t think anyone, ok maybe just me, is hiding behind the :wrong: emoji. Often I just don’t feel like articulating my position in another :deadhorse: discussion
:fancy:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I just like summarizing a prevailing thought into an extreme statement that's more of an absurdity and a satire.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 pm I just like summarizing a prevailing thought into an extreme statement that's more of an absurdity and a satire.
And I for one, appreciate your creativity and the lolz.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:dat:

I drove the 2015 1le. And had a good bit of seat time. Thought the mustang gt PP was the better car esp for price.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

just keep the vette then.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

did :waxer:. get cancelled?

if so that's :wrong:
:lol:

Pretty sad, if I'm being honest. I've been on the internet before it was really known as such to anyone that wasn't a nerd. Way before AOL, when USENET was bleeding edge. Back then you could agree to disagree and not make threats to impact someone's life... Even if they happened to be seen talking to the current POTUS that is, in fact "your president", no matter if you like it or not. I lived through 8 years of Michelle Obama being president and didn't try to bring down anyone that liked her, or even talked to her.

yea, I'm not that old school, but all the easy access to the internet has only made access to stupidity easier.

which has pros and cons.
pro: funny videos
con: idiots.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

I drove a manual one around some rural roads back in the fall and loved it. The shifter felt really good and the auto reply match worked perfectly. I shut it off and had fun doing it my self but in a high traffic area it would definitely come in handy. Pull up to a light/traffic? Clutch in, and throw the bitch in first for a perfect BRAPP CRACKLE. I thought the seats were great but also noticed the lack of storage. I don't think I'd have any problem owning one but my driving is 99% empty highways, suburbs, and rural roads.
It does not have the NPP exhaust. Only 2 tips not 4 :(
Johnny_P

I remember the white one. I thought it was cool. I always wanted a 1LE. Yellow.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

The Camaro won't turtle over a speed bump, lol.

Also, it's much nicer inside, and has cupholders. I like me some places to put a bottle of water while I'm letting eagles loose.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am So, the Camerica-o

Driving this thing is pretty fun. It’s fucking FAST and sounds good. Handles great. Take off ramps 2x the warning speed with no issue. 245 front 275 rear it feels stable. I’m sure it would oversteer with throttle. More on that in a bit. Steering feels artificial but wheel is small and it’s quick to change direction. It tram lines a bit so maybe artificial steering works.

Ride is too rough for shit city streets. With mag dampers it might be better. Could use more tire sidewall but these 20s look good. We took it into Houston city and meh, it wouldn’t work well at all for Philly. But it’s pretty good on the highway not much to complain about and it’s damped better than most cars we’ve rented out here.

Visibility isn’t as bad when driving it. It has a rear view camera that is on the shark fin antenna and provides good rear visibility. It’s terrible if you just use the mirror. Blind spot monitors help, and just point the mirrors 45 deg out and it’s do able. Hard to see stop lights if you’re first in line. A little hard to place on a tight road but manageable.

Trans is great. Shifts are well sorted no hunting. Paddles respond super fast. Fun ripping through a handful of gears just to get to 60. Pull and hold the left paddle while decelerating and you get BRAAP crackle POP from the exhaust as it blips to the lowest gear it can hold. I’d choose this trans. I bet it’s more fun with real manual but this is great.

Engine is a peach and sounds awesome revving out. Pulls hard to redline. Goes into 4cyl on highway and takes a half second to wake up. The 275s have no chance of taming this beast they hop and scream through the first handful of gears.

So the downsides....
The engine doesn’t sound good at low RPM. It sounds like a rock crusher or something. And even with the 4cyl fuckery it is only getting 20 mpg.
Interior is a mixed bag of meh. 4K miles on this and it’s squeaking and buzzing. I think just from the firm ride. Why is the info screen pointed down this makes no sense. Door pockets suck. Cup holders suck. No place to stash your phone easily that sucks. The climate control bezel turning party trick is stupid and they take up way too much room. Gauge cluster is half digi half analog and seems ok but I feel could have been implemented better. Minor complaint though. Rear seat damn near useless and not even dog certified.

One odd thing. The focal points for all these systems are different. It has a HUD. And between the HUD, the rear mirror camera, the gauges, and the tilted down infotainment, your eyes are constantly refocusing. It was a little straining on my eyes.

This would be a fun car to own. Challenging to live with. The chally is set up better for DD and road trips. Our chally didn’t have a V8 so I can’t exactly compare but the mero is more fun.
Compare it to the STI.
How's the ride quality?
Hows the throttle response?
Hows the ride?
How are the brakes?
What shit trans is in it? 8 speed auto from the silverado and c6?

20mpg seems fine for something that has nearly 3x the displacement of the STI and is being piloted by the GOONSQUAD
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

It does not have the NPP exhaust. Only 2 tips not 4 :(
At least it actually needs 2 pipes... 4 cylinders per pipe as opposed to the other way around :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am So, the Camerica-o

Driving this thing is pretty fun. It’s fucking FAST and sounds good. Handles great. Take off ramps 2x the warning speed with no issue. 245 front 275 rear it feels stable. I’m sure it would oversteer with throttle. More on that in a bit. Steering feels artificial but wheel is small and it’s quick to change direction. It tram lines a bit so maybe artificial steering works.

Ride is too rough for shit city streets. With mag dampers it might be better. Could use more tire sidewall but these 20s look good. We took it into Houston city and meh, it wouldn’t work well at all for Philly. But it’s pretty good on the highway not much to complain about and it’s damped better than most cars we’ve rented out here.

Visibility isn’t as bad when driving it. It has a rear view camera that is on the shark fin antenna and provides good rear visibility. It’s terrible if you just use the mirror. Blind spot monitors help, and just point the mirrors 45 deg out and it’s do able. Hard to see stop lights if you’re first in line. A little hard to place on a tight road but manageable.

Trans is great. Shifts are well sorted no hunting. Paddles respond super fast. Fun ripping through a handful of gears just to get to 60. Pull and hold the left paddle while decelerating and you get BRAAP crackle POP from the exhaust as it blips to the lowest gear it can hold. I’d choose this trans. I bet it’s more fun with real manual but this is great.

Engine is a peach and sounds awesome revving out. Pulls hard to redline. Goes into 4cyl on highway and takes a half second to wake up. The 275s have no chance of taming this beast they hop and scream through the first handful of gears.

So the downsides....
The engine doesn’t sound good at low RPM. It sounds like a rock crusher or something. And even with the 4cyl fuckery it is only getting 20 mpg.
Interior is a mixed bag of meh. 4K miles on this and it’s squeaking and buzzing. I think just from the firm ride. Why is the info screen pointed down this makes no sense. Door pockets suck. Cup holders suck. No place to stash your phone easily that sucks. The climate control bezel turning party trick is stupid and they take up way too much room. Gauge cluster is half digi half analog and seems ok but I feel could have been implemented better. Minor complaint though. Rear seat damn near useless and not even dog certified.

One odd thing. The focal points for all these systems are different. It has a HUD. And between the HUD, the rear mirror camera, the gauges, and the tilted down infotainment, your eyes are constantly refocusing. It was a little straining on my eyes.

This would be a fun car to own. Challenging to live with. The chally is set up better for DD and road trips. Our chally didn’t have a V8 so I can’t exactly compare but the mero is more fun.
:nice: GM knows how to make a good V8 and solid chassis dynamics.

I’d go used vette every time though, 700ish pounds lighter, way more practical with huge hatch, visibility, better fuel economy.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm :nice: GM knows how to make a good V8 and solid chassis dynamics.

I’d go used vette every time though, 700ish pounds lighter, way more practical with huge hatch, visibility, better fuel economy.
I think I'd probably go vette as well. You get the hatch so real usable cargo space, plus better visibility and the rear seats of the Mero aren't exactly usable so :iono:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pmCompare it to the STI.
How's the ride quality?
Hows the throttle response?
Hows the ride?
How are the brakes?
What shit trans is in it? 8 speed auto from the silverado and c6?

20mpg seems fine for something that has nearly 3x the displacement of the STI and is being piloted by the GOONSQUAD
Compared to the STI.... This thing is a rocket and the STI is a kid's toy.

Ride is damped better but just as harsh I think. It's hard for me to assess because they're not being driven over the same roads. The roads in TX are all concrete bullshit, the roads in Philly are all potholed asphalt. So I dunno really. The better damping means little to no bouncy ride, but we have slammed the bump stops almost daily in it. We took it into the city center and :mahtroy: it was a real mixed bag. The ride.... yeah I'd go mag ride on it because it was really harsh on those lesser quality roads. The car felt really heavy and just like it was pounding the pavement. No sidewalls on the tires either, that might have more to do with it really.

Turn in isn't as good as the STI but the steering is just as quick. STI has more feedback through the wheel but I don't know if that matters so much really. If you're driving it hard I guess yes. You feel more connected to the STI but the Camaro feels more capable. Grip wise, this has more grip. It has more tire so that's somewhat expected. Where the STI will boogie it's tail a little this just sticks. So maybe a little less entertaining? But the speeds you carry around turns are eye opening.

Brakes feel strong, there's some sort of boost to them after you go deep into the pedal. No fading but we aren't driving it super hard on twisty canyon roads because texas is just oil and cattle fields.

Throttle response is great being an NA motor. The pedal isn't as touchy as the STI which is nice. I miss NA motors, man. They're so responsive.

Trans is awesome. It's the new Schwinn-o-matic 10 speed. Shifts are faster than I can do with a 6MT. Paddles are surprisingly immediate in every drive mode. In sport it'll hold the gear for a few seconds after you let off the throttle just in case, but it'll still go to 10th gear on the highway when you're not into it. It basically never gear hunts. Sport is awesome, we've just been leaving it in that. Hold the paddle coming up to a stop sign and it braaps and crackles and lol inducing noises come out as the engine revs all the way up and the trans selects lowest gear. The "annoying" thing is it'll drop to 4cyl on the highway, so when you want some go power it kind of shudders a half second while it gets the other 4 cylinders back online and you get a slight hesitation. Happens while the trans downshifts. Other than that, it's smooth and well sorted.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:05 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm

The Camaro won't turtle over a speed bump, lol.

Also, it's much nicer inside, and has cupholders. I like me some places to put a bottle of water while I'm letting eagles loose.
The interior is a pretty nice place to be once you get over the ergos. Seats are great. Depends on what you want I guess.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm

I tried to re sell a short shifter on a forum once. $150 unit. People offering me $15 shipped. I threw it out.
lol People just assume that every used item should incur 99% depreciation and still function like new.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm

The problem out here is California SMOG inspections. They are the responsibility of the seller, so if they wanted the dealer you trade in with could hold you responsible at their work rate to make the car "correct". It has just recently become a real concern lately as some dealers have decided to push this and not just eat it. I think it only happens on cars they don't take to auction and want to sell on their lot though.
Add another reason to the long list of reasons as to why I'll never live in California.