Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Once again in a civic it would make sense. In a limited production collectible and highly desirable Porsche ... :notsure: just a different demographic and way of life.

Like you go to an Apple bees and are happy if no one spat in your food and that it comes out warm. The expectation of French laundry is a bit different. And yes both are “just food”. Expectations are a bit higher in one vs the other, as is the level of service.
I would be upset if I took my GT3 in for that work and they put in a base Carrera engine. It's still a GT3 after the replacement :iono: Agree to disagree I guess. Porsche seems to think it's worth $3500 and they get the last laugh.
It is interesting to follow actually, there have been several law suits that contested the way Porsche handled the situation. You don’t fuck with people that have a 7+ figure net worth at the minimum without getting sued.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:31 pm

That is my view, but it's also more than I can afford, pal.

Very few cars will lose an engine, but it's possible in any car. Max's point re: lost value I guess is valid, but I feel like $3500 is pretty generous when I would go into that expecting $0.

Do people really GAF about numbers matching? I mean, you got a new engine with less miles on it.
Once again in a civic it would make sense. In a limited production collectible and highly desirable Porsche ... :notsure: just a different demographic and way of life.

Like you go to an Apple bees and are happy if no one spat in your food and that it comes out warm. The expectation of French laundry is a bit different. And yes both are “just food”. Expectations are a bit higher in one vs the other, as is the level of service.

I would absolutely expect more than $0 for a fucked up engine in a 250k super car
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 pm I don't even know what French Laundry is though, clearly I'm out of my depth here.
I inferred that Max was referring to a fancy restaurant versus Applebee' (I had to look it up https://www.thomaskeller.com/tfl ) as an analogy to a Porsche versus a Civic

I chimed in, just goofing around......
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:26 pm I mean, Applebees is Middle Class Fancy, so... :iono:
A gt3 isn’t :iono:
Irish

French Laundry looks :amaze: :muah: but $350/person before Covid and $850 during is a big :nope: for me dawg....
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 pm

I would be upset if I took my GT3 in for that work and they put in a base Carrera engine. It's still a GT3 after the replacement :iono: Agree to disagree I guess. Porsche seems to think it's worth $3500 and they get the last laugh.
It is interesting to follow actually, there have been several law suits that contested the way Porsche handled the situation. You don’t fuck with people that have a 7+ figure net worth at the minimum without getting sued.
We have a customer that had a 991.1 GT3 that got the engine replaced after failure and raised a stink with PCNA about it. He got his engine, a 911 loaner (despite having half a dozen Porsche’s in the collection and this being his track toy) and his car back in less than 2 weeks from failure, and the 10 year/120k mile warranty extension.

He wanted out of the car for whatever reason and got put on the list for one of the first manual 991.2 GT3s. Takes it to one of our track days at NJMP two weeks later and money shifts from 5th to 2nd going into turn 5 on his second lap.

We tow the car back and admire the damage he did and holes in the block. Porsche offered to cover the engine if he paid the labor ( around $45k for the engine, $5k labor) due to his error. He goes back on the “defective engine” tirade And they shut him down, politely at first, reminding him this was obvious driver error. He pushed the issue further and threatened to sue.

So they pulled their offer and hung him out to dry with a $50k Bill and referred him to legal.

He put it on a black card.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 pmWe have a customer that had a 991.1 GT3 that got the engine replaced after failure and raised a stink with PCNA about it. He got his engine, a 911 loaner (despite having half a dozen Porsche’s in the collection and this being his track toy) and his car back in less than 2 weeks from failure, and the 10 year/120k mile warranty extension.

He wanted out of the car for whatever reason and got put on the list for one of the first manual 991.2 GT3s. Takes it to one of our track days at NJMP two weeks later and money shifts from 5th to 2nd going into turn 5 on his second lap.

We tow the car back and admire the damage he did and holes in the block. Porsche offered to cover the engine if he paid the labor ( around $45k for the engine, $5k labor) due to his error. He goes back on the “defective engine” tirade And they shut him down, politely at first, reminding him this was obvious driver error. He pushed the issue further and threatened to sue.

So they pulled their offer and hung him out to dry with a $50k Bill and referred him to legal.

:amaze:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 pm

We have a customer that had a 991.1 GT3 that got the engine replaced after failure and raised a stink with PCNA about it. He got his engine, a 911 loaner (despite having half a dozen Porsche’s in the collection and this being his track toy) and his car back in less than 2 weeks from failure, and the 10 year/120k mile warranty extension.

:amaze:
Dude sounds like quite the tool. Good on Porsche for giving him a big fat middle finger.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:07 pm

I would absolutely expect more than $0 for a fucked up engine in a 250k super car
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 pm I don't even know what French Laundry is though, clearly I'm out of my depth here.
I inferred that Max was referring to a fancy restaurant versus Applebee' (I had to look it up https://www.thomaskeller.com/tfl ) as an analogy to a Porsche versus a Civic

I chimed in, just goofing around......
I was picking up what you were putting down :megusta:
Irish

:ohdang:

I'll bet he doesn't think twice about dinner at French Laundry....
max225

He knows he fucked up as opposed to Porsche. Makes perfect sense.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

ThE aRt oF ThE dEaL!

Some Uber rich people don’t know when to stop. But maybe that’s because dude had the money to pay for it in full so he had nothing to lose by going all the way. Either way... 45k extra he spent by being an asshole could’ve gone to other stuff.

:ohwell:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:10 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 pm https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/cay ... 11413190_/

This is better.
That is :nice:

I think I'm in the minority here... but I actually like newer, higher mileage cars for less money when they are well cared for. You can drive it as much as you want without being overly concerned about adding miles, I feel that cars work better when they don't sit and are driven, most of us here will change all fluids and such regardless upon delivery, the list of reasons goes on.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy something like that and just daily it, track it from time to time, just enjoy the car without too much diaper polishing.
thats what we did for the car in Turkey for this very reason. Especially when its a car I don't intent to mod at all whatsoever. Drive it NFG. Could've gotten a used car but most people here are :aintcare: with keeping it up, so not willing to roll the dice on this one.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

OMG my :dillerman: friend in Chicago just bought this for $450 from the OG owner. It's got like 80k miles. LORT

It's so hot.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm OMG my :dillerman: friend in Chicago just bought this for $450 from the OG owner. It's got like 80k miles. LORT

It's so hot.
Wow that thing is mint... too bad whoever gets it next will have it sitting on 3 wheels in no time :yikes:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Jesus christ!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:55 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm OMG my :dillerman: friend in Chicago just bought this for $450 from the OG owner. It's got like 80k miles. LORT

It's so hot.
Wow that thing is mint... too bad whoever gets it next will have it sitting on 3 wheels in no time :yikes:
No I mean my friend personally bought it for himself. :lol:

Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It's so hot.
Holy fuck!! :amaze: :megusta: he better keep this thing!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Goddamit Griff its a fancy ass restaurant in Napa that our Governor went to for a campaign party sans social distancing whilst demanding that all of the rest of us stay home in hermetically sealed housing eating Door Dash hot dogs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/opin ... ornia.html
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That is a clean Town & Cunt. Honestly a solid pickup for the price, minivans make for great beaters/shit haulers. It's like a :truk: but cheap, more useful, and more comfortable.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:57 pm
Goddamit Griff its a fancy ass restaurant in Napa that our Governor went to for a campaign party sans social distancing whilst demanding that all of the rest of us stay home in hermetically sealed housing eating Door Dash hot dogs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/opin ... ornia.html
Ahh I've certainly heard tell of Gavin's tomfoolery but wasn't aware of his specific eateries of choice.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Those are some shiny-ass tars.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Old Supra is really really good
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Niceee...

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ontar ... -1.5336770

And they call these debaucheries "safety devices."
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:49 pm Niceee...

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ontar ... -1.5336770

And they call these debaucheries "safety devices."
I initially thought the article was going to end with it turning out that the car was just doing what its supposed to and she wasn't used to it.... but since the tech were able to replicate it or at least establish that the sensors were bad, they should absolutely refund her... Definitely a bad look for Hyundai...

My wifes Touareg is the first car we've ever owned with adaptive cruise and lane assist and all that jazz..... the first few times the car braked itself freaked me out a little, but I got used to it pretty quick.....

What happens to me on longer trips is that I end up behind someone who is going 5-10 mph slower than I want to... but I don't realize it right away because the adaptive cruise is so smooth.....
Last edited by Irish on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Old Supra is really really good
This was a fun watch...I think all three are sharp as hell but I'll take the Old girl any ole day of the week....