Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:23 pm
Irish wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm So the T-Reg cost me $550 out of pocket. Windshield, camera calibration and I let them put in overpriced wipers ZFG. What a world we live in where a windshield replacement sets one back over a G.

The Optima $660; turned out to be a fan assembly and resistor that allowed the the refrigerant to overheat and blow out of the a valve somewhere. I no sooner got it home when it threw a code for Knock Sensor. The car is NOT knocking, but the ECU is retarding the timing because of the code. The sensor is on the block behind the Intake Manifold which is probably more than I want to do myself.

My poor kid had to take his driving test (yesterday) in a vehicle that was hesitating like a MF. As soon as the Evaluator got in the car, I cleared the code from afar and the sky opened up into a serious electrical storm. The were only gone for like 10 minutes so I assumed the worst (that he blew the parallel parking right out of the gate). But the torrential downpour turned out to be a blessing, as the woman allowed the turns in the parking lot to "count" and they never even left the parking lot.

I think I was more nervous about the outcome than the kid was (mostly because of the code throwing Korean jalopy) but all's well that ends well....

:fuckyeah:
I'm not looking forward to that windshield bill, my :gorf: has a crack from top to bottom right down the middle, and I'm toying with dumping some glass filler liquid spooge that they advert on Instagram. I parked up after work today, mainly to book a couple of cottage rentals, and make a bunch of phone calls/emails.... And sure as the sky is blue, the battery died. I had my headlights on accidentally, and ran my phone charger, radio, fans, and the ignition was in the ON position, so it was enough to do in the four year old factory unit. Thankfully, I was parking across the street from a Costco (which I have a membership to), and they had the cheapest of three compatible batteries in stock, $134 minus a $10 trade in if I bring my old one back in. Took one of their carts, grabbed the battery, a kit of water balloons for the kids, a 500g block of Jarlsberg cheese, a bag of brazil nuts, and $30 worth of 1" thick top sirloin grilling steak. The cart is still in a neighboring parking lot, but I'm at home enjoying a cold beer. :fuckyeah: , lemonade out of lemons!
Brah, just idle next time. Fuck the planet.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:14 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:23 pm

I'm not looking forward to that windshield bill, my :gorf: has a crack from top to bottom right down the middle, and I'm toying with dumping some glass filler liquid spooge that they advert on Instagram. I parked up after work today, mainly to book a couple of cottage rentals, and make a bunch of phone calls/emails.... And sure as the sky is blue, the battery died. I had my headlights on accidentally, and ran my phone charger, radio, fans, and the ignition was in the ON position, so it was enough to do in the four year old factory unit. Thankfully, I was parking across the street from a Costco (which I have a membership to), and they had the cheapest of three compatible batteries in stock, $134 minus a $10 trade in if I bring my old one back in. Took one of their carts, grabbed the battery, a kit of water balloons for the kids, a 500g block of Jarlsberg cheese, a bag of brazil nuts, and $30 worth of 1" thick top sirloin grilling steak. The cart is still in a neighboring parking lot, but I'm at home enjoying a cold beer. :fuckyeah: , lemonade out of lemons!
Brah, just idle next time. Fuck the planet.
Yeah that's right, lol

Thing is, I'm glad it happened how and when it did. Could've easily been in the work parking lot and I'd have to uber myself to the nearest store and back. MK7s are funny to watch when the battery power hits 1%, first they think that they've got a parking assist feature, and then one by one every light comes up on the dash until it's a Christmas 🎄 on the inside of that mofo. It ends with just enough power to roll up the windows, and then the car dies.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm So the T-Reg cost me $550 out of pocket. Windshield, camera calibration and I let them put in overpriced wipers ZFG. What a world we live in where a windshield replacement sets one back over a G.

The Optima $660; turned out to be a fan assembly and resistor that allowed the the refrigerant to overheat and blow out of the a valve somewhere. I no sooner got it home when it threw a code for Knock Sensor. The car is NOT knocking, but the ECU is retarding the timing because of the code. The sensor is on the block behind the Intake Manifold which is probably more than I want to do myself.

My poor kid had to take his driving test (yesterday) in a vehicle that was hesitating like a MF. As soon as the Evaluator got in the car, I cleared the code from afar and the sky opened up into a serious electrical storm. The were only gone for like 10 minutes so I assumed the worst (that he blew the parallel parking right out of the gate). But the torrential downpour turned out to be a blessing, as the woman allowed the turns in the parking lot to "count" and they never even left the parking lot.

I think I was more nervous about the outcome than the kid was (mostly because of the code throwing Korean jalopy) but all's well that ends well....

Are you a fucking wizard? :lol:
Glad your kid passed the test, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:41 am Image

:megusta:

I want the modern equivalent of this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Is that the Napoleon Dynamite van?
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:28 pm

Torque App FTW

Thanks Fappy
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:57 pm
wap wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:28 pm

Torque App FTW

Thanks Fappy
I figured it was something like that. Just tried to make a little joke. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This neat infographic that breaks down each manufacturer my valuation speaks for itself.

Race to $1T: The World’s Top Car Manufacturers by Market Cap
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds ... arket-cap/
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

All of the GR86 videos coming out this morning. Do want.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 am All of the GR86 videos coming out this morning. Do want.
Me too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:08 am
coogles wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 am All of the GR86 videos coming out this morning. Do want.
Me too.
Ditto. Like, really want this car for no practical reason whatsoever!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:38 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:08 am

Me too.
Ditto. Like, really want this car for no practical reason whatsoever!
Yeah, my only hesitation would be if we produced crotchfruit in the coming years, :iono: that an 86 is optimal. I am guessing based on Coog's story that fitting one baby seat in an 86 is near impossible?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:48 am
This neat infographic that breaks down each manufacturer my valuation speaks for itself.

Race to $1T: The World’s Top Car Manufacturers by Market Cap
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds ... arket-cap/
I feel like it's anyone's guess as to whether they get there or crash in burn in short order. I just saw a large piece on national news this morning re: auto pilot being unsanctioned beta testing on public roads and how there have been hundreds of cases of Tessies slamming into police/medic/fire vehicles parked on shoulders with sirens flashing, etc.

:popcorn:

I saw a friend of mine this weekend who moved to LA to take a job at SpaceX back in January. His stories of "working for Elon" are pretty entertaining. Things like LA county issuing mask mandates and him emailing the entire LA workforce stating that they don't need to wear masks to work and can ignore the mandate :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I feel the opposite now. It looks good from some angles but there's a couple I don't really like, and the noise inside the car.

Oh

My

*Gag*

Not sure why exactly but it's completely repulsive to me. I suddenly care much more about the 400Z.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:35 pm
I feel the opposite now. It looks good from some angles but there's a couple I don't really like, and the noise inside the car.

Oh

My

*Gag*

Not sure why exactly but it's completely repulsive to me. I suddenly care much more about the 400Z.
I sort of wish that it looked a bit less like the old 86. I mean, the old one was quite attractive, IMO, but this from a looks perspective is barely a refresh. It looks old, but :thisisfine: , still want. At least it will be relatively timeless.

I too look forward to what the Z can offer, but :iono: , I am kind of over turbos.

The 86 just checks all of the boxes for me:
-Really fun on the street/in town/on track
-Manual
-Pretty affordable
-Fuel efficient/comfy enough to take on weekend trips to bike/car/friend shit (longer trips with the wife/dog won't often be in my car regardless)
-Track capable out of the box and low consumables costs
-Would ask basically nothing of me from a maintenance perspective
-Enough cargo space for weekend trips or other things

:iono: no other car does this. The lackluster engine of the outgoing model (particularly coming from a Corvette) kind of killed it for me, but it looks like this new one is sub six to 60 which is :thisisfine:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The fuel efficiency thing will be interesting. I saw the manual is rated at 19/26/21, but I won't pick apart any of your other points because they are all probably true for your use case. This just happens to be one of those cars that I'm glad it's being produced, but I just have no desire for one. Maybe a drive would change my mind.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Oh

My

*Gag*

The fake sounds supposedly comes through its own dedicated speaker. Full a fuse, unplug it, whatever...it should be possible to disable that. The 400Z should be great, but a not insignificant part of my enjoying a weekend car will be sharing the experience with my son (who already LOVES cars) and possibly my daughters if they care, which makes any 2-seater a non-starter for me. Still :popcorn: on what the next STi will be like as well, I'm cautiously optimistic Subaru won't incorporate the various safety nannies with a manual trans since they chose not to do so in the Manual BRZ and 86. Hoping the FA24 will have some character to it, I adore the way the EJ drives even if it's expensive to modify and is horribly inefficient.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Oh

My

*Gag*

The fake sounds supposedly comes through its own dedicated speaker. Full a fuse, unplug it, whatever...it should be possible to disable that. The 400Z should be great, but a not insignificant part of my enjoying a weekend car will be sharing the experience with my son (who already LOVES cars) and possibly my daughters if they care, which makes any 2-seater a non-starter for me. Still :popcorn: on what the next STi will be like as well, I'm cautiously optimistic Subaru won't incorporate the various safety nannies with a manual trans since they chose not to do so in the Manual BRZ and 86. Hoping the FA24 will have some character to it, I adore the way the EJ drives even if it's expensive to modify and is horribly inefficient.
I'm assuming your son is now forward facing? If we reproduce, I could see the thing working out for me even if I could fit one seat in the back with the passenger seat moved up. Given it looks like I will be WFH and/or road based for near eternity, I can't imagine I would really need a super practical kid hauler, but I'm sure the possibility of doing it when needed would be a requirement.

I am still pretty much not about two car life if I can avoid it, particularly in my current house.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:51 pm The fuel efficiency thing will be interesting. I saw the manual is rated at 19/26/21, but I won't pick apart any of your other points because they are all probably true for your use case. This just happens to be one of those cars that I'm glad it's being produced, but I just have no desire for one. Maybe a drive would change my mind.
Nothing wrong with that, having choice is a good thing. We all have what we love and what maybe doesn't excite us so much. One that doesn't do it for me for example is the :gorf: . I get why people buy them, it is probably the best jack of all trades vehicle that exists, but just isn't it for me for whatever reason.

My Corvette isn't even gone yet and I already miss the natty V8, you really can't beat the sounds, the smoothness, the durability, the powah, so I can understand why the soundtrack of fake Subaru four cylinder noises is uninspiring for you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

26 MPG is acceptable to me, I mostly only drive my car highway on trips, my in-city driving is like once a week to the grocery store only.

That is worse than I thought though. My buddy here who had a 2013 FR-S got high twenties consistently around town and about 30 on the highway. Comparatively he now has a Boss 3bro2 and reports getting about 13 :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:07 pm I'm assuming your son is now forward facing? If we reproduce, I could see the thing working out for me even if I could fit one seat in the back with the passenger seat moved up. Given it looks like I will be WFH and/or road based for near eternity, I can't imagine I would really need a super practical kid hauler, but I'm sure the possibility of doing it when needed would be a requirement.

I am still pretty much not about two car life if I can avoid it, particularly in my current house.
Oh yeah, he's been forward-facing for about a year now. I definitely wouldn't suggest an 86 for an only car if you need infant or rear-facing car seats, but it'll take a couple boosters as long as you don't mind the back of the seat being kicked constantly. STi would for sure work better, doe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:51 pm The fuel efficiency thing will be interesting. I saw the manual is rated at 19/26/21, but I won't pick apart any of your other points because they are all probably true for your use case. This just happens to be one of those cars that I'm glad it's being produced, but I just have no desire for one. Maybe a drive would change my mind.
+1 on all Cale comments. Put STI engine in it and call me tomorrow. In terms of affordable sports cars I would much rather 400Z.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:07 pm I'm assuming your son is now forward facing? If we reproduce, I could see the thing working out for me even if I could fit one seat in the back with the passenger seat moved up. Given it looks like I will be WFH and/or road based for near eternity, I can't imagine I would really need a super practical kid hauler, but I'm sure the possibility of doing it when needed would be a requirement.

Oh yeah, he's been forward-facing for about a year now. I definitely wouldn't suggest an 86 for an only car if you need infant or rear-facing car seats, but it'll take a couple boosters as long as you don't mind the back of the seat being kicked constantly. STi would for sure work better, doe.
I sit in a 5'1" person's position, so the boosters thing would likely be OK.

:iono: both the possible :baby: and 86 are all just brainstorms at this point anyway, it's just something I'm starting to consider in future car musings. Two cars is such a damn time suck and I hate owning expensive things that are just sitting and getting worse every day while not being used much.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:16 pm
+1 on all Cale comments. Put STI engine in it and call me tomorrow. In terms of affordable sports cars I would much rather 400Z.
This will be like +50% cost though, not exactly apples to apples.