Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:08 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 am

Pretty much. The cars do not suck. The company and CEO do.

It 100% is fraud, they are promising and charging a huge price premium for a feature set that literally doesn't exist and has no hope to exist for at least 10 years.
Well that's not very smart. How are they able to break so many rules.... investor funds seem to keep propelling them to new heights. It is a very interesting case scenario, would love to see who the top twenty share holders are.
A lot of it is hype, but they do actually have some pretty impressive cars rolling all over the world, so at least there's that.

I feel like this is just the 21st century tech company promise, they raise fuck loads of money based on some :bs: "IP" or whatever and everyone is just fine with these companies being "worth" all of this money when they really are not in the traditional sense (assets, revenue, profit, etc).
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 am

Pretty much. The cars do not suck. The company and CEO do.

It 100% is fraud, they are promising and charging a huge price premium for a feature set that literally doesn't exist and has no hope to exist for at least 10 years.
Well that's not very smart. How are they able to break so many rules.... investor funds seem to keep propelling them to new heights. It is a very interesting case scenario, would love to see who the top twenty share holders are.
Because the SEC has zero balls. That's basically what it all comes down to. They're big enough now, when they inevitably explode, they're taking a lot down with it.

There has been open investigations for years now, but this stuff takes a ton of time. The SEC is not in the business of bringing down frauds. They let them implode on their own, and then clean up afterwards.

It's fascinating. Tesla is really the culmination of so many cultural phenomena colliding. Meme stocks, lax regulatory authorities, social media, silicon valley elitism and investment, etc. The movies that will be made about this company in the future is going to be mind melting to a lot of people.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:39 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:08 am
:howdareyou: saving the planet isn't cheap! If you're too poor to buy a new one, you're too poor to have one at all!
My only hope is that once all of the other manufacturers get their EV line-ups rolling out, Tesla gets a serious reality check.
No established OEM will be able to compete with Tesla because they're not willing to make customers beta testers for tech, and they follow established automotive engineering principles that limits what comes to market. Selling a Level 2 ADAS system as a Level 3? :lolgasm: NOBODY will do that other than Tesla, and people are lining up to pay for it. What makes Tesla unique and gets people excited is that it's NOT part of the established industry, for better or worse. Tesla has garbage quality and dependability scores and nobody cares because they're so "cutting edge". I actually find is fascinating because it's upending the industry.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:11 am

A lot of it is hype, but they do actually have some pretty impressive cars rolling all over the world, so at least there's that.

I feel like this is just the 21st century tech company promise, they raise fuck loads of money based on some :bs: "IP" or whatever and everyone is just fine with these companies being "worth" all of this money when they really are not in the traditional sense (assets, revenue, profit, etc).
Yea, but Tesla is actually making money now. Like legit profit from operations producing and selling vehicles. It's not just vaporware, which makes it all the more :mindblown: to me. The stock price may be inflated, but the financials appear to be going in the right direction. And that's even with revenue from credits expiring.

Established industry practices and principles don't need to apply to this company. Customers have reset their expectations in the name of the brand. It's pretty incredible. I can't stand Elon, but the company has managed to deliver somehow...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:00 pm

Yea, but Tesla is actually making money now. Like legit profit from operations producing and selling vehicles. It's not just vaporware, which makes it all the more :mindblown: to me. The stock price may be inflated, but the financials appear to be going in the right direction. And that's even with revenue from credits expiring.

Established industry practices and principles don't need to apply to this company. Customers have reset their expectations in the name of the brand. It's pretty incredible. I can't stand Elon, but the company has managed to deliver somehow...
Hard not to make money when you're charging each customer an extra $10k for a nonexistent feature :lolol: AKAIK, their "self driving" shit is no different than what came free on your Cucktrek. They only got to this point by raising all of that money in the "new" way though, but at this point, they may just make it for the long haul.

People like feeling special and like "early adopters" and I think many are seriously OK with dealing with :bs: to be able to wave that flag.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Hard not to make money when you're charging each customer an extra $10k for a nonexistent feature :lolol: AKAIK, their "self driving" shit is no different than what came free on your Cucktrek. They only got to this point by raising all of that money in the "new" way though, but at this point, they may just make it for the long haul.

People like feeling special and like "early adopters" and I think many are seriously OK with dealing with :bs: to be able to wave that flag.
That's what I mean when I say ignoring industry principles. The "self driving" system is basically what's in my Cucktrek with a few more cameras, a much more powerful computer, and no concern for safety. $10k is indeed pure profit, and great for the bottom line especially since people are happy to pay it! Pretty incredible marketing.

I was driving in a heavy rainstorm last night and the car disabled eye sight because of limited visibility. The Tesla system you're paying $10k for is no more advanced in limited visibility. What does the car do? What does the driver do when they're sleeping or not paying attention and the car can't see? It's why the industry uses radar sensors as a backup, but Elon took those out to save costs. Genius.

It's legit dangerous, but people DGAF. Nor does .gov safety agencies. I'm :amazing: by it all.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:13 pm

That's what I mean when I say ignoring industry principles. The "self driving" system is basically what's in my Cucktrek with a few more cameras, a much more powerful computer, and no concern for safety. $10k is indeed pure profit, and great for the bottom line especially since people are happy to pay it! Pretty incredible marketing.

I was driving in a heavy rainstorm last night and the car disabled eye sight because of limited visibility. The Tesla system you're paying $10k for is no more advanced in limited visibility. What does the car do? What does the driver do when they're sleeping or not paying attention and the car can't see? It's why the industry uses radar sensors as a backup, but Elon took those out to save costs. Genius.

It's legit dangerous, but people DGAF. Nor does .gov safety agencies. I'm :amazing: by it all.

Fun listen
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

No, they really aren't. There are a ton of accounting tricks going on to ensure a "profit", with no explanation. Accounts receivable & payable , under-reserving for warranty and misclassifying this expense, bitcoin :facepalm:, constant changing of revenue recognition policy, pull ahead of carbon credits, channel stuffing via "selling" to separate legal entities in other countries, cross selling to other companies within the Musk empire, etc

They don't have any technological advantage. Their advantage entirely boils down to one thing: risk tolerance. They do stuff no other OEM would ever dream of doing from a risk stand point.

I don't hate all of their products or anything. I actually think the Model S did a lot of things right. I think the Model 3 and Y are much worse products. Their business practices and methodology is mind bogglingly though. Even if the product was the best thing ever, with zero issues, I couldn't support such a morally bankrupt business.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Fun listen
TL;Dr: I take it I'm :wrong: ?

I'll have to listen to this
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:38 pm

Fun listen

Nope the :fax: actually align with the haters
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:37 pm

No, they really aren't. There are a ton of accounting tricks going on to ensure a "profit", with no explanation. Accounts receivable & payable , under-reserving for warranty and misclassifying this expense, bitcoin :facepalm:, constant changing of revenue recognition policy, pull ahead of carbon credits, channel stuffing via "selling" to separate legal entities in other countries, cross selling to other companies within the Musk empire, etc

They don't have any technological advantage. Their advantage entirely boils down to one thing: risk tolerance. They do stuff no other OEM would ever dream of doing from a risk stand point.

I don't hate all of their products or anything. I actually think the Model S did a lot of things right. I think the Model 3 and Y are much worse products. Their business practices and methodology is mind bogglingly though. Even if the product was the best thing ever, with zero issues, I couldn't support such a morally bankrupt business.
I tried digging into the financials, but lost interest as most do. I suspected something was fishy, but nothing was obvious.

That all aside, it's the risk tolerance that bothers me too. I just don't get it, but people keep buying the cars and there's never any major reports about deaths or safety concerns, so from the outside it looks like Tesla is winning compared to the archaic dinosaur established industry.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Nope the :fax: actually align with the haters
Haters are just jelly people like me who work(ed) in the stifling ancient shitty auto industry.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Fun listen

No, they are pretty much in 100% agreeance with you. Farrah rants about Elon and how dangerous it all is constantly. He is always concerned that he'll get killed by a Tessie while riding motorbikes. A legit concern, particularly in LA where Tessies are prominent and traffic is bitchin'
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:05 pm

No, they are pretty much in 100% agreeance with you. Farrah rants about Elon and how dangerous it all is constantly. He is always concerned that he'll get killed by a Tessie while riding motorbikes. A legit concern, particularly in LA where Tessies are prominent and traffic is bitchin'
Cyclists (motorized or not) are a big challenge. The Cucktrek straight up ignores them or treats them like obstacles, I think because they're so hard to detect just using cameras. I always disable driving aides (which is as simple as cancelling cruise) when I see a motorcycle or cyclist, which is usually in urban environments where the tech isn't great anyway. Better than I expected, but easier to control on my own.

Either Tesla is great at sweeping lawsuits under the rug or the incidents just don't happen, I've never heard about a death or injury from a Tessie/cyclist collision. Which makes me wonder if Elon is right and the industry is just overly cautious? Seems like a major safety risk, but it's paying off for them so far, so ???
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Cyclists (motorized or not) are a big challenge. The Cucktrek straight up ignores them or treats them like obstacles, I think because they're so hard to detect just using cameras. I always disable driving aides (which is as simple as cancelling cruise) when I see a motorcycle or cyclist, which is usually in urban environments where the tech isn't great anyway. Better than I expected, but easier to control on my own.

Either Tesla is great at sweeping lawsuits under the rug or the incidents just don't happen, I've never heard about a death or injury from a Tessie/cyclist collision. Which makes me wonder if Elon is right and the industry is just overly cautious? Seems like a major safety risk, but it's paying off for them so far, so ???
I know the popular view on DFD is 'fuck everyone, people are morons' or whatever, but I would attribute this to most people actually caring about others and being intelligent enough to watch out for cycle cucks and do what you're doing. Tessies still have a pretty high price of entry which weeds out many of society's dumbest, like it or not.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

They are insanely aggressive with settling and getting NDAs signed.

It's a huge safety risk.

www.tesladeaths.com

That tracks every death involving a Tesla. 108 cyclists and pedestrians killed by Teslas that people have logged. I'm guessing there are a few more that didn't get picked up. Not saying all of them are the fault of autopilot, but some definitely are. Compare this to Uber, who was doing their own self driving development. They killed a cyclist and shut the entire program down.
Last edited by MrH42 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:35 pm

I know the popular view on DFD is 'fuck everyone, people are morons' or whatever, but I would attribute this to most people actually caring about others and being intelligent enough to watch out for cycle cucks and do what you're doing. Tessies still have a pretty high price of entry which weeds out many of society's dumbest, like it or not.
It's just such a weird communication for people. "Autopilot" really isn't that, you still need to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel. But a :waxer: that just dropped $120k on the fastest production SUV ever will feel entitled to use "autopilot" as the name implies. Hell, I would. But that's legit dangerous.
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:51 pm

It's a huge safety risk.

www.tesla.deaths

That tracks every death involving a Tesla. 108 cyclists and pedestrians killed by Teslas that people have logged. I'm guessing there are a few more that didn't get picked up. Not saying all of them are the fault of autopilot, but some definitely are. Compare this to Uber, who was doing their own self driving development. They killed a cyclist and shut the entire program down.
Site doesn't work for me, but I'm sure there's similar :caspian: things alleging deaths from any OEM. It's all about the internal risk tolerance. Tesla has sold...over a million vehicles so far? 108 out of a million+ is rounding error.

Anything >0 should not be tolerated IMO, but we'll never know how much the company accepts OTHER than it appears it's willing to accept more than other established auto OEMs based on product execution.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Fun listen
Legit thought you were linking an interview with a porn star based on that name.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

It's a huge safety risk.

www.tesla.deaths

They shut it down but everyone from their teams going to this company. One of their security guys is my friend and making the jump.

https://aurora.tech/
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:30 pm

It's a huge safety risk.

www.tesla.deaths

Site doesn't work for me, but I'm sure there's similar :caspian: things alleging deaths from any OEM. It's all about the internal risk tolerance. Tesla has sold...over a million vehicles so far? 108 out of a million+ is rounding error.

Anything >0 should not be tolerated IMO, but we'll never know how much the company accepts OTHER than it appears it's willing to accept more than other established auto OEMs based on product execution.
Sorry, fixed the link. It's www.tesladeaths.com now
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:35 pm

It's just such a weird communication for people. "Autopilot" really isn't that, you still need to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel. But a :waxer: that just dropped $120k on the fastest production SUV ever will feel entitled to use "autopilot" as the name implies. Hell, I would. But that's legit dangerous.
All of that 100%. Other OEMs market these things as driving aids (which is an accurate portrayal). Tessie calling it Autopilot is reckless.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

MrH42 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:32 pm Cyclists (motorized or not) are a big challenge. The Cucktrek straight up ignores them or treats them like obstacles, I think because they're so hard to detect just using cameras. I always disable driving aides (which is as simple as cancelling cruise) when I see a motorcycle or cyclist, which is usually in urban environments where the tech isn't great anyway. Better than I expected, but easier to control on my own.

It's a huge safety risk.

www.tesladeaths.com

:rage:

I fucking hate rich people.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

So the T-Reg cost me $550 out of pocket. Windshield, camera calibration and I let them put in overpriced wipers ZFG. What a world we live in where a windshield replacement sets one back over a G.

The Optima $660; turned out to be a fan assembly and resistor that allowed the the refrigerant to overheat and blow out of the a valve somewhere. I no sooner got it home when it threw a code for Knock Sensor. The car is NOT knocking, but the ECU is retarding the timing because of the code. The sensor is on the block behind the Intake Manifold which is probably more than I want to do myself.

My poor kid had to take his driving test (yesterday) in a vehicle that was hesitating like a MF. As soon as the Evaluator got in the car, I cleared the code from afar and the sky opened up into a serious electrical storm. The were only gone for like 10 minutes so I assumed the worst (that he blew the parallel parking right out of the gate). But the torrential downpour turned out to be a blessing, as the woman allowed the turns in the parking lot to "count" and they never even left the parking lot.

I think I was more nervous about the outcome than the kid was (mostly because of the code throwing Korean jalopy) but all's well that ends well....

:fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Irish wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:28 pm So the T-Reg cost me $550 out of pocket. Windshield, camera calibration and I let them put in overpriced wipers ZFG. What a world we live in where a windshield replacement sets one back over a G.

The Optima $660; turned out to be a fan assembly and resistor that allowed the the refrigerant to overheat and blow out of the a valve somewhere. I no sooner got it home when it threw a code for Knock Sensor. The car is NOT knocking, but the ECU is retarding the timing because of the code. The sensor is on the block behind the Intake Manifold which is probably more than I want to do myself.

My poor kid had to take his driving test (yesterday) in a vehicle that was hesitating like a MF. As soon as the Evaluator got in the car, I cleared the code from afar and the sky opened up into a serious electrical storm. The were only gone for like 10 minutes so I assumed the worst (that he blew the parallel parking right out of the gate). But the torrential downpour turned out to be a blessing, as the woman allowed the turns in the parking lot to "count" and they never even left the parking lot.

I think I was more nervous about the outcome than the kid was (mostly because of the code throwing Korean jalopy) but all's well that ends well....

:fuckyeah:
I'm not looking forward to that windshield bill, my :gorf: has a crack from top to bottom right down the middle, and I'm toying with dumping some glass filler liquid spooge that they advert on Instagram. I parked up after work today, mainly to book a couple of cottage rentals, and make a bunch of phone calls/emails.... And sure as the sky is blue, the battery died. I had my headlights on accidentally, and ran my phone charger, radio, fans, and the ignition was in the ON position, so it was enough to do in the four year old factory unit. Thankfully, I was parking across the street from a Costco (which I have a membership to), and they had the cheapest of three compatible batteries in stock, $134 minus a $10 trade in if I bring my old one back in. Took one of their carts, grabbed the battery, a kit of water balloons for the kids, a 500g block of Jarlsberg cheese, a bag of brazil nuts, and $30 worth of 1" thick top sirloin grilling steak. The cart is still in a neighboring parking lot, but I'm at home enjoying a cold beer. :fuckyeah: , lemonade out of lemons!