Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:44 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:18 am

So the interesting part is...
Toyota made 2500 of them. And within the last 3 months 3 hit BAT, in THIS EXACT combo (minus trans) 2 out of 250 manuals hit BAT. That is pretty damn insane. This is signaling some sort of bubble imo.
Seems like people are cashing out of these as "collector" items...certainly one sign of a bubble.

I just think back to 08 when used Prius were selling for more than new and worthless Geo Metros were $10k cars. Bubbles burst.
:dat:

The amount of retail therapy going on right now with almost all Americans is :mindblown: For the first time in my life, we are all purchasing so many goods, that try as they may, manufacturers just can't keep up.

I suspect that when things calm down, a lot of people will own a lot of shit they no longer need/think they need/use, and prices will drop. We will all realize (not us on DFD but collectively as Americans) we actually dont off-road, ride bikes, go camping, live on a lake, you name it. At that point, a lot of these super popular right now items will drop I think.

Still though, something like a super cool/rare spec FJ will always maintain a cult following and good value.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:49 pm
Seems like people are cashing out of these as "collector" items...certainly one sign of a bubble.

I just think back to 08 when used Prius were selling for more than new and worthless Geo Metros were $10k cars. Bubbles burst.
:dat:

The amount of retail therapy going on right now with almost all Americans is :mindblown: For the first time in my life, we are all purchasing so many goods, that try as they may, manufacturers just can't keep up.

I suspect that when things calm down, a lot of people will own a lot of shit they no longer need/think they need/use, and prices will drop. We will all realize (not us on DFD but collectively as Americans) we actually dont off-road, ride bikes, go camping, live on a lake, you name it. At that point, a lot of these super popular right now items will drop I think.

Still though, something like a super cool/rare spec FJ will always maintain a cult following and good value.
Absolutely. If our move north ends up being permanent, I'm going to keep my eye out for boat deals in a few years. Boats were 100% sold out in this region this year. RECORD sales year. People are going to realize that they're a PITA and too expensive to store and :nope: them. We get a boat slip with our house, and I'd get one small enough to park in the garage in the winter so :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:55 am

I need the window trim blacked out too. I’m a picky betch.
Funny, I have a buddy at work who has a G80 and he actually plastidipped all of the chrome stuff to black (the car is maroon) and it looks significantly better. Plastidip kinda sucks as it ages :doe:
Yeah, I’d probably spend the money and have it properly prepped and painted
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So I crossed a year of ownershit on my car the other day. Did 2600 miles on the car and 2200 on my bike. If not for all of the shoulder issues, I'd have long since put more miles on the bike. Guess I should switch to bikeforums.net or whatever those people use.

<5k miles of driving/riding in a year is also by far the least I've ever done. :thisisfine: :foreveralone: :thankstrump:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:20 pm So I crossed a year of ownershit on my car the other day. Did 2600 miles on the car and 2200 on my bike. If not for all of the shoulder issues, I'd have long since put more miles on the bike. Guess I should switch to bikeforums.net or whatever those people use.

<5k miles of driving/riding in a year is also by far the least I've ever done. :thisisfine: :foreveralone: :thankstrump:
I just drove 1000 miles in the taco alone in the last 2 weeks. Pics to come. Get out there and do stuff :whocares:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

They salted the roads here today :rage:
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:They salted the roads here today :rage:
It was snowing all day here, what did you expect? November through May is :salt: season.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:26 pm
It was snowing all day here, what did you expect? November through May is :salt: season.
We're sitting at 6 months with no rain, and well over 80 today... :wtf: love to have some of the rain :( what a year 2020 has been.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:26 pm
Holy crap. It's 65 and sunny here today, should be most of the week. How the hell the weather in Northern MI is routinely better than upstate NY is just :mindblown: to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:26 pm It was snowing all day here, what did you expect? November through May is :salt: season.
Holy crap. It's 65 and sunny here today, should be most of the week. How the hell the weather in Northern MI is routinely better than upstate NY is just :mindblown: to me.
I suspect they have good days and shit days too, like anywhere. The good ones just don't get mentioned.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 pm
I suspect they have good days and shit days too, like anywhere. The good ones just don't get mentioned.
:notwrong:

We had snow on Sunday that all melted. They didn't touch the roads, salt is used sparingly here thankfully.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 pm Holy crap. It's 65 and sunny here today, should be most of the week. How the hell the weather in Northern MI is routinely better than upstate NY is just :mindblown: to me.
While true, you have like 300+ good days a year and we have... maybe 100?

Like today was 25F in the morning and it'll be dark at 4, but right now it is in fact sunny and 60. It's not a good day but it's a decent ~3 hours from 1-4.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:43 pm
D Griff wrote:

Like today was 25F in the morning and it'll be dark at 4, but right now it is in fact sunny and 60. It's not a good day but it's a decent ~3 hours from 1-4.
:notwrong: that the weather here is better, but it was also really cold (albeit "only high 30s") in the morning today here with sunny and upper 60s for maybe 4 hours. Sure, it is better, but it is still limited nice time to really enjoy being outside.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:43 pm
D Griff wrote:

60 at anytime in November is :fuckyeah:

It was 45 here in the AM, but warmed up quickly with full sun. Gotta look at the positives man!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

A lot of us here are lucky now that we have the flexibility to get outside during those hours.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 pm A lot of us here are lucky now that we have the flexibility to get outside during those hours.
Big time! About to take the :doge: for a walk and enjoy this. Gotta make the most of it with shorter days. All part of being alive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 pm A lot of us here are lucky now that we have the flexibility to get outside during those hours.
Big time! About to take the :doge: for a walk and enjoy this. Gotta make the most of it with shorter days. All part of being alive.
:fuckyeah:

I finally got the brake parts needed to fix my MTB. I think I am going to fuck off and go ride... need some stress relief, kind of in a funk today.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:26 pm It was snowing all day here, what did you expect? November through May is :salt: season.
I am a bit farther north than Detroit, but I think being east of all the great lakes is the main culprit
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:43 pm While true, you have like 300+ good days a year and we have... maybe 100?

60 at anytime in November is :fuckyeah:

It was 45 here in the AM, but warmed up quickly with full sun. Gotta look at the positives man!
Hard to be positive about being in a less shitty situation than it could be... Things can always be worse, so what? There's no good reason why we can't get authorization to move (either via the current job or a new one) yet here we remain. I'm paying $400 for someone to replace a rusted out wheel bearing on the wife's car today because we live in this fucking shithole.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:04 pm
I am a bit farther north than Detroit, but I think being east of all the great lakes is the main culprit
I'm 250 miles north of Detroit now...but the lakes certainly do make the weather a bit different. Our fall colors lasted way longer than the rest of the state.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:17 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:04 pm

I'm 250 miles north of Detroit now...but the lakes certainly do make the weather a bit different. Our fall colors lasted way longer than the rest of the state.
I still have something for you. I'm embarrassed I didn't get it out to you earlier, but PM your new address if you still want it. It's on me.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:20 pm So I crossed a year of ownershit on my car the other day. Did 2600 miles on the car and 2200 on my bike. If not for all of the shoulder issues, I'd have long since put more miles on the bike. Guess I should switch to bikeforums.net or whatever those people use.

Jesus dude! You live in the blessed hands, i'd totally fuck around with the car on some twisties and shit.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:59 pm

Jesus dude! You live in the blessed hands, i'd totally fuck around with the car on some twisties and shit.

:wrong:

He lives in Corning NY. They've never heard of a twisty, and there's only 5-6mo of okayish weather.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Are we still bragging about weather?

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:18 am

So the interesting part is...
Toyota made 2500 of them. And within the last 3 months 3 hit BAT, in THIS EXACT combo (minus trans) 2 out of 250 manuals hit BAT. That is pretty damn insane. This is signaling some sort of bubble imo.

Winter is coming. January or February shit gets real. My car dealer bro lost 600K in book value on his cars last month.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.