Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am Have I mentioned how much I hate car ownership and repair shops in general? Crooks.
Agreed. I haven't had to get any repairs or inspections in forever and I'm happy about that.

In California when you buy a brand new car it gets a deferred first smog check and are exempt for 6 years. After that it's every two years. That's one thing I will likely miss about California when I move, Clark and Washoe counties in Nevada require annual smog checks/inspections. Luckily though, according to the internet they just do an OBD2 check and even LT headers can pass if the tune is right, so minor stuff will be no problem.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am Have I mentioned how much I hate car ownership and repair shops in general? Crooks.
Agreed. I haven't had to get any repairs or inspections in forever and I'm happy about that.

In California when you buy a brand new car it gets a deferred first smog check and are exempt for 6 years. After that it's every two years. That's one thing I will likely miss about California when I move, Clark and Washoe counties in Nevada require annual smog checks/inspections. Luckily though, according to the internet they just do an OBD2 check and even LT headers can pass if the tune is right, so minor stuff will be no problem.
Smog costs 39.95 nowadays and can be done in 15 min. I dread oil changes at the :dillerman: more so which still takes 2 hrs.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

If it's anything like Phoenix, smog checks are WAY more common sense.

My LT1 swapped 80 CJ7 passed smog in Phoneix without an issue. The tech was actually really digging it and commented that it was cleaner than if I left the original engine in.

CA gave me two pages of BS that didn't meet smog code to fix before I could even attempt a smog check. I ended up selling it to some dude in AZ instead. Fuck that state.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I guess the pads make sense... forums state 30k is typical. But I brake a lot more often than most, since I come to a full stop every 300 feet, and haven't been engine braking because it's supposedly not recommended on my motor. IDK if that is true or not but I figured whatever, it's easy enough to just use the very good brakes and not deal with gear lash.

Fucking rotors though.

$400.

I didn't ask for the old parts back. Rotors will be easy enough to tell, the old ones were completely rusted over. Pads harder to see on an initial look. Probably some shit Starfire "very long for not worry life" chinese pads or something. Dammit.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Interestingly my smog shop gave me the business last time with the Tahoe last time, saying the CAI CARB # was "not in the database" despite having passed the same truck with the same CAI 3 times before this. I had to go home and run the CARB approval off the interwebz and bring it to him. He apologized with some sort of bureaucratic :bs: excuse.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:48 pm I guess the pads make sense... forums state 30k is typical. But I brake a lot more often than most, since I come to a full stop every 300 feet, and haven't been engine braking because it's supposedly not recommended on my motor. IDK if that is true or not but I figured whatever, it's easy enough to just use the very good brakes and not deal with gear lash.

Fucking rotors though.

$400.

I didn't ask for the old parts back. Rotors will be easy enough to tell, the old ones were completely rusted over. Pads harder to see on an initial look. Probably some shit Starfire "very long for not worry life" chinese pads or something. Dammit.
I am missing why you can't take it to Subaru and bring it back to them?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:48 pm I guess the pads make sense... forums state 30k is typical. But I brake a lot more often than most, since I come to a full stop every 300 feet, and haven't been engine braking because it's supposedly not recommended on my motor. IDK if that is true or not but I figured whatever, it's easy enough to just use the very good brakes and not deal with gear lash.

Fucking rotors though.

$400.

I am missing why you can't take it to Subaru and bring it back to them?
I can but I pay a "failed inspection" fee. And then have to get it repaired in a few days. With COVID and a 4 week old, taking my car 2 hours to the closest subaru dealer in PA won't work.
max225

Fucking rotors though.

$400.

Wait.. what happened ? You had your car inspected by the .gov and they recommended brakes ?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:39 am Car is at a mom and pop shop for state inspection. Needed new front rotors and pads. 🧐

I don’t believe this but I’m at the mercy of the shop to pass or fail me. And they’d fail me if I don’t get it done. Car has 18k ish miles on it. No way it needs rotors.
Wait... new brakes in 18k miles... No fking way. (ignore my last post). Can you check them yourself to see if they are full of shit?

My BMW dealership kept subtracting 4/32 from the tire tread. And kept trying to sell me tires every 20k.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Fucking rotors though.

$400.

Wait.. what happened ? You had your car inspected by the .gov and they recommended brakes ?
Yearly state inspection. Was overdue apparently, got 2 parking tickets for it :rolleyes: so I took it to a local mom and pop that has been good to me in the past. They've done a few jobs no charge to me :iono: so I figured they wouldn't stiff me.

Maybe its because it's a rather expensive performance type car as opposed to the visibly beat as fuck cmax, but they stated the pads are below life as are the rotors and they need to be replaced. Which I have no way of actually verifying or knowing. The pads I could see an argument for I suppose, because all my driving is stop and go, very little cruising. But the rotors don't make any sense. No car burns through rotors in 18k miles.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Yearly state inspection. Was overdue apparently, got 2 parking tickets for it :rolleyes: so I took it to a local mom and pop that has been good to me in the past. They've done a few jobs no charge to me :iono: so I figured they wouldn't stiff me.

Maybe its because it's a rather expensive performance type car as opposed to the visibly beat as fuck cmax, but they stated the pads are below life as are the rotors and they need to be replaced. Which I have no way of actually verifying or knowing. The pads I could see an argument for I suppose, because all my driving is stop and go, very little cruising. But the rotors don't make any sense. No car burns through rotors in 18k miles.
What the shit? Even pads at 18k miles seems...unlikely unless you stop late from 50mph+ constantly (doubt it)

To me, inspections on modern vehicles seem more like a .gov money grab for repair shops. Cars should be exempt for the first 5 or so years of production.

Then there's states like MI with no inspections at all, and I'm often legit worried for my and other's safety with some of the "vehicles" I see driving around Detroit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:35 pm

What the shit? Even pads at 18k miles seems...unlikely unless you stop late from 50mph+ constantly (doubt it)

To me, inspections on modern vehicles seem more like a .gov money grab for repair shops. Cars should be exempt for the first 5 or so years of production.

Then there's states like MI with no inspections at all, and I'm often legit worried for my and other's safety with some of the "vehicles" I see driving around Detroit.
I'm torn. On one hand its good, it keeps rust piles from being on the road, and corrects cars with no working brake lights and shit. On the other hand, I don't trust repair shops at all.

Looking around on forums it seems the OE pads do wear fast, with many reporting new pads needed before 20k. Rotors... harder to tell, most forumbros just replace them anyway because "that's what you're supposed to do."
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Anyway to just go down there and see what the fuck it is they are talking about? That's what I would do but I don't have fresh cf at home.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Pro tip: always get inspections at places that only do inspections and not other work. The latter will always try to sell you some other :bs: repair that likely isn't needed. Rotors and pads at 18K miles, :wtf: ?

Even though you may use your brakes a lot, you're slowing from like 8 MPH, that shouldn't burn through pads that quickly. Rotors should last 100K miles.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:10 pm Pro tip: always get inspections at places that only do inspections and not other work. The latter will always try to sell you some other :bs: repair that likely isn't needed. Rotors and pads at 18K miles, :wtf: ?

Even though you may use your brakes a lot, you're slowing from like 8 MPH, that shouldn't burn through pads that quickly. Rotors should last 100K miles.
There are no inspection-only places that I am aware of.
Oddly enough, in my experience, dealers have been the most trustworthy when it comes to inspections.

I broke my #1 rule this time, that I don't go to any car repair shops inside the city limits. Because they're all crooks. We will see when I pick up my car, TBD what they have to say about a car burning through rotors in 18k.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The rotors on my wife's car are pretty well scrap right now from sitting unused covered in saltwater for 6 months of winter.
troyguitar

Speaking of rust, I'm finally getting around to looking at rustproofing chemicals. Is it actually worth having an already rusty car sprayed? Of course the people selling the stuff say that it'll stop the rust in its tracks, but :dillerman: gonna :dillerman:

We'd ideally like to keep the mazderp3 for at least 5 more years (until the 86 is paid off), but at the current rate the whole undercarriage will have turned to dust by then.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

These salt stories are like Stephen King novels.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:29 pm These salt stories are like Stephen King novels.
Owning a car in the North is pretty much like working at Chernobyl.
max225

The only other car I could think of is a GT-R they have notorious 30k $5k brake jobs. I thought I heard of STI brakes being pretty expensive as well. Especially on the later models with the even bigger rotors, but i think those were 18+ models.

That said...18k I don't believe they are that fucked. Car was never tracked and designed with tracking in mind. That will kill a years worth of brakes in a session, they seem to last a bit for those guys. City derping can't possibly be this hard. No way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:58 pm

The only other car I could think of is a GT-R they have notorious 30k $5k brake jobs. I thought I heard of STI brakes being pretty expensive as well. Especially on the later models with the even bigger rotors, but i think those were 18+ models.

That said...18k I don't believe they are that fucked. Car was never tracked and designed with tracking in mind. That will kill a years worth of brakes in a session, they seem to last a bit for those guys. City derping can't possibly be this hard. No way.
:dat: Even on track, pads and rotors last quite a few sessions, probably at least five hours of track time generally, more for rotors in most cases.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:01 pm

:dat: Even on track, pads and rotors last quite a few sessions, probably at least five hours of track time generally, more for rotors in most cases.
As long as they aren’t cross-drilled.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:01 pm

As long as they aren’t cross-drilled.
Blanks are where it's at :lolol: I actually have cracked at least four rotors in the Corvette, but upon switching to better rotors, the issue sees to have gone away. That is a different use case entirely though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You haven't seen Johnny Rotten drive the hell out of his Race Car though.
Johnny_P

Right so I paid the $400 ish for them to throw away $1200 worth of perfectly fine OEM parts and put on $80 worth of aftermarket chinese bullshit. Confirmed the work did get done, it has new front rotors and pads. No clue what they are "oh we use good parts, no junk." OEM rotors had black hats, these are uncoated.... so they're probably $30 shit rotors. Looked up OEM parts, they're about $400 each for the rotors... so, maybe at least the rotors are a whatever type item being aftermarket. As long as the internal venting is the same. Pads... Brembo pads can be bought outside the dealership, but these are probably "Wagner" or some shit. They're supposed to have shims as they're waxables, no clue if they have them.

I'm so mad at myself right now. Of course they're closed, I'm going to call back and Karen them tomorrow. Of course they'll just tell me to fuck off. Like what am I going to ask them to do besides give me my old parts back.... which they'll probably just hang up on me.

This is 100% my fault for not telling them to take it off the lift and saying I'm going elsewhere. I felt backed into a corner because it was overdue and I couldn't find anywhere else to do the inspection quickly. Drove it home and the brake pedal was spongy with no bite.

My life is just one gigantic failure right now :sad: