Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I like Arteons. Wish they were a bit smaller and cheaper...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:05 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 pm

I believe both are, but I'd personally choose the Odyssey over either.
If you're giving up just go all the way eh?
The Toyota may look better, but there's a 0% chance it drives better than the Odyssey. :notsure: about the Kia, but I didn't at all like the way the Telluride drove. Odysseys drive far better than any minivan needs to, IMO. I've driven several across multiple generations and I'm always surprised by how good the inputs are, how seamless the drivetrains are and how competently they handle. If I could fit one in the garage it honestly wouldn't be a contest between it and the Outback, but I really don't feel like parking a brand new $40k car outside 24/7.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 pm I like Arteons. Wish they were a bit smaller and cheaper...
Yeah too rich for my blood..... maybe if my son is still in the bidness a few years down the road he can find me a :dill:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

wap wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 pm I like Arteons. Wish they were a bit smaller and cheaper...
I feel this way about most new cars. :wap:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Before Covid madness they were heavily discounted.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 pm
Yeah too rich for my blood..... maybe if my son is still in the bidness a few years down the road he can find me a :dill:
:notbad:
wap

HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm
I feel this way about most new cars. :wap:
Agreed.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Submitted the Hype R for a quote on Vroom for fun. Couldn't give me an instant quote, but they just got back to me and offered $42k. :notbad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 pm Submitted the Hype R for a quote on Vroom for fun. Couldn't give me an instant quote, but they just got back to me and offered $42k. :notbad:
What did it run ?
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 pm Submitted the Hype R for a quote on Vroom for fun. Couldn't give me an instant quote, but they just got back to me and offered $42k. :notbad:
What did it run ?
$39.3k before taxes/shipping
max225

HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:22 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm

What did it run ?
Makes sense, so you’re close to break even.

I still don’t understand the business model of a used car dealer paying more than a new vehicle costs and the whatever :derp: is that is willing to pay even more than that. Why can’t the :derp: just go directly to Honda or Toyota. Things I will never understand
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:25 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:22 pm

I still don’t understand the business model of a used car dealer paying more than a new vehicle costs and the whatever :derp: is that is willing to pay even more than that. Why can’t the :derp: just go directly to Honda or Toyota. Things I will never understand
I'll never understand it either.

Like who the hell is going to pay $44k for this? You could literally get a new one for that price without much effort even in the current market. https://www.vroom.com/inventory/honda-c ... 76LU200696
max225

HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:40 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:25 pm

I'll never understand it either.

Like who the hell is going to pay $44k for this? You could literally get a new one for that price without much effort even in the current market. https://www.vroom.com/inventory/honda-c ... 76LU200696
I think it was a bit before your time but I posted up 5-7 year old 2 door sport wranglers with 0 options with 30-50k miles for essentially what they sold for new… sometimes a generation old ones, and sometimes you can get a JL for the same price they are trying to sell a jk. It was honestly insane… but they moved them.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

First real trip with baby in the books. Went to the Jersey shore for a week, about an hour and a half away from Philly. The Cmax was loaded to the absolute brim. Dog in the back, mini umbrella stroller, pack and play as a crib, all the baby gear and one suitcase for me and Lisa. Legit couldn't do it in that car with another kid, mostly because dog takes up a bit of room.

Might start looking at replacement cars. The market is insanity right now so, not sure it makes sense to get something. The Cmax can manage for a bit longer, or if I put a hitch / roof rack on it with a basket it might help. But this was an eye opener mostly because I was thinking something the size of a Forester would work, but if we have another kid it absolutely will not work.

I will say though. We drove there and back, and all around Ocean Grove and Asbury Park, and we didn't fill up once. Car still has half a tank. The thing is a champ, 40 MPG fully loaded on the highway, 50 around town is excellent. We will get another hybrid for sure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 am First real trip with baby in the books. Went to the Jersey shore for a week, about an hour and a half away from Philly. The Cmax was loaded to the absolute brim. Dog in the back, mini umbrella stroller, pack and play as a crib, all the baby gear and one suitcase for me and Lisa. Legit couldn't do it in that car with another kid, mostly because dog takes up a bit of room.

Might start looking at replacement cars. The market is insanity right now so, not sure it makes sense to get something. The Cmax can manage for a bit longer, or if I put a hitch / roof rack on it with a basket it might help. But this was an eye opener mostly because I was thinking something the size of a Forester would work, but if we have another kid it absolutely will not work.

I will say though. We drove there and back, and all around Ocean Grove and Asbury Park, and we didn't fill up once. Car still has half a tank. The thing is a champ, 40 MPG fully loaded on the highway, 50 around town is excellent. We will get another hybrid for sure.
Our T-reg is a nice size that slots in between a Tiguan and an Atlas. It covers us for two kids and a small :doge: , so if we had a big dog, or three kids, I'd probably consider a Telluride sized thing. Not sure how big is too big for the streets of Philadelphia:doe:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Went on a Sunday drive out with the daughter while :tits: was working on her business. Spotted this properly batshit insane yet beautiful Lamborghini SVJ in Viola Parsifae Pearl

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 am First real trip with baby in the books. Went to the Jersey shore for a week, about an hour and a half away from Philly. The Cmax was loaded to the absolute brim. Dog in the back, mini umbrella stroller, pack and play as a crib, all the baby gear and one suitcase for me and Lisa. Legit couldn't do it in that car with another kid, mostly because dog takes up a bit of room.

This reminds me of my cousins first roadtrip when she was 2 months old, when my uncle used to have the Macan S, it was literally loaded. Plus they have to drop off their dog for some dog hotel since the doggo is huge. That was the main reason why he dumped it for an older Audi q7 3.0tdi, which he regretted cause it appreciated tons here in Turkey, because there's literally 12 Macan S's in Turkey in that gen.

If planning you guys gained another kid, and have a car like a forester, at that point I'd invest in a roof box. You can take it off while in the city.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:45 pm Went on a Sunday drive out with the daughter while :tits: was working on her business. Spotted this properly batshit insane yet beautiful Lamborghini SVJ in Viola Parsifae Pearl

god thats a beut!! :megusta:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:36 am

This reminds me of my cousins first roadtrip when she was 2 months old, when my uncle used to have the Macan S, it was literally loaded. Plus they have to drop off their dog for some dog hotel since the doggo is huge. That was the main reason why he dumped it for an older Audi q7 3.0tdi, which he regretted cause it appreciated tons here in Turkey, because there's literally 12 Macan S's in Turkey in that gen.

If planning you guys gained another kid, and have a car like a forester, at that point I'd invest in a roof box. You can take it off while in the city.
Yeah the roof box is what my neighbor does. He has two kids and a dog and the roof box comes out for bigger trips.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:47 am

Yeah the roof box is what my neighbor does. He has two kids and a dog and the roof box comes out for bigger trips.
If you don't want a roof box, a three row or minivan is it for 2 kids + :doge: life. With 3 kids + 2 small dogs the Atlas is loaded to the gills with crap stowed between the seats and up to the roof even for just a weekend trip to see the grandparents. Roof boxes on SUVs are a pain, though. I'm not super into climbing a step ladder just to load shit up on top of an SUV that's tall for no reason. I guess it's either that or I'm driving a minivan, though.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Lot of turkish germans drive their 5 series/e class wagons with roof boxes as well to Turkey even with 4 kids in the backseat and often times I see the rear suspension sagging.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 am

If you don't want a roof box, a three row or minivan is it for 2 kids + :doge: life. With 3 kids + 2 small dogs the Atlas is loaded to the gills with crap stowed between the seats and up to the roof even for just a weekend trip to see the grandparents. Roof boxes on SUVs are a pain, though. I'm not super into climbing a step ladder just to load shit up on top of an SUV that's tall for no reason. I guess it's either that or I'm driving a minivan, though.
I find it interesting that the woman in this relationship is the one who is seppuku before minivan.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:53 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 am

I find it interesting that the woman in this relationship is the one who is seppuku before minivan.
I'll just be dead on the inside.
Irish

:dat:

What he means is Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Last edited by Irish on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:53 pm

I'll just be dead on the inside.
Join the club, Jump in, the water is tepid.......