Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 am I would love to hear your thoughts on the Xterra

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =261441295

A good bit cheaper than the Toyota, maybe for a reason, but I think they look much nicer. Sure not as funky but I prefer it.
I like the look of the last Xterra. When I drove the Frontier and Taco back to back the Nissan had the better engine trans and ride.
Johnny_P

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 am Wait, why are you kicking yourself now for not buying one? Off road focused SUVs are going to be flooding the market. It's going to push the value on older FJs down.
The Wrongler resale house of cards will eventually fall.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:12 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 am I would love to hear your thoughts on the Xterra

A good bit cheaper than the Toyota, maybe for a reason, but I think they look much nicer. Sure not as funky but I prefer it.
I like the look of the last Xterra. When I drove the Frontier and Taco back to back the Nissan had the better engine trans and ride.
Same. Added a link for a 2012 bro forx @$14k. I wouldn't mind that myself.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:15 pm

They are :notbad: and come with a Desert approved V8... its a solid maybe from me... I wanted something more unique, and the gas crunch+sales slowdown from 08-12 essentially decimated them... Pretty hard to find.
GX/LX470?

Dead reliable and other than pricey timing belt replacements, they’re definitely mom approved ✅
We went over these. I think the size is an issue and they would immediately need work, like wheels tires etc. also they get 12/13 mpg vs 16/17 which doesn’t sound like
Much of a difference but it is.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 am Wait, why are you kicking yourself now for not buying one? Off road focused SUVs are going to be flooding the market. It's going to push the value on older FJs down.
It was a really nice fj that was basically like new in a really nice color combo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'm with JP on this... the 90k mile :manuel: XTerra looks cool and is a more interesting vehicle than the $20K JGC. Also, in three years, the X will be a $7-9K car... and so will the Jeep GC :yikes:

JGC is objectively a far better vehicle, but it seems like the point is a more unique, fun vehicle, JGC, while very nice, is a mom car I see 200 of/day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:13 am
I hope so... I'd love a two door, manual, soft top JK for $10-12k in nice condition. Maybe eventually we'll get there.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 pm Wait. We are discussing low cost of ownership vehicles and Range Rovers in the same sentences?

:pftch:

I’d imagine something like a Forester with some knobby tires would be able to tame the wild winding roads leading in and out of Sedona as well as any NPS road you’d want to gram about.
It depends on the frame of reference. A 10k rr sport seems like it wouldn’t be that expensive to own. Probably less for me in 2 years than an fj. Mainly due to the already low price point.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:13 am

I hope so... I'd love a two door, manual, soft top JK for $10-12k in nice condition. Maybe eventually we'll get there.
Hasn’t happened in the last 5+ years. You can’t even get a tj for that money ... you’re describing a 23/26k carmax jeep
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:27 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 am

Hasn’t happened in the last 5+ years. You can’t even get a tj for that money ... you’re describing a 23/26k carmax jeep
:notwrong: But if things ever change... I think I'd get one. As it stands, it's a tough pill to swallow when the BMW is actually a far better vehicle for everything I do other than fun.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:15 pm

They are :notbad: and come with a Desert approved V8... its a solid maybe from me... I wanted something more unique, and the gas crunch+sales slowdown from 08-12 essentially decimated them... Pretty hard to find.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 32400.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 71851.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 09060.html :manuel:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 15174.html :impressive:

Also, every mid size truck will do this like a champ. All the pickups had low range transfer cases and lots of ground clearance. Frontier, Tacoma, Colorado, Dakota, etc...
I did look at mid size trucks. But they make no sense... 4x4 v6 ext cabs with less than 100k miles are 25k which brings me right to an fj. Since I have no use for a bed.

These aren’t bad but they don’t do much for me. I do like the overland jgc with v8. That’s quite nice
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 pm Wait. We are discussing low cost of ownership vehicles and Range Rovers in the same sentences?

:pftch:

I’d imagine something like a Forester with some knobby tires would be able to tame the wild winding roads leading in and out of Sedona as well as any NPS road you’d want to gram about.
It depends on the frame of reference. A 10k rr sport seems like it wouldn’t be that expensive to own. Probably less for me in 2 years than an fj. Mainly due to the already low price point.
That’s assuming it won’t need $5k in repairs

Pretty sure DeMuro had one of them. With the carmax warranty. That ended up paying for itself 3x over. In the course of one year.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am

I'm with JP on this... the 90k mile :manuel: XTerra looks cool and is a more interesting vehicle than the $20K JGC. Also, in three years, the X will be a $7-9K car... and so will the Jeep GC :yikes:

JGC is objectively a far better vehicle, but it seems like the point is a more unique, fun vehicle, JGC, while very nice, is a mom car I see 200 of/day.
Yeah! It looks cool, brown, RWD based 4x4, manual, technically a wagon. Only missing the diesel. But really it’s in great shape and the price is appropriate. One of the cheapest ways to get a real capable 4WD that isn’t a total shitbox.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 am

Pretty sure DeMuro had one of them. With the carmax warranty. That ended up paying for itself 3x over. In the course of one year.
He had the big daddy. The sport is quite a bit simpler. Also he took it in for things like telescoping steering wheel repair. I don’t see myself doing any of that. The main issue is air suspension. And there are ways around it and a solid aftermarket
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 am

He had the big daddy. The sport is quite a bit simpler. Also he took it in for things like telescoping steering wheel repair. I don’t see myself doing any of that. The main issue is air suspension. And there are ways around it and a solid aftermarket
Well. :popcorn: go for it. I guess I don’t see the reason to buy a notoriously unreliable vehicle with intentions of taking it far off grid in the wilderness or desert. But then again I have zero patience for broken cars in general.

But they are cool no doubt.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:11 am
I'd walk into a local LR/RR garage or european garage, and ask what the common failure points are and costs to repair.

The strong point of the FJ is reliability. But is it worth triple the initial outlay in purchase price... for a temporary experience. :notsure:

Also, what kind of trails are we talking about you actually doing, comrade?
I don’t think I’m going to need any sort of major off road prowess. Which is why I am going to keep whatever I get stock. The 2020 willys is my perfect spec Jeep and the stock FJ with a trac is my perfect spec off road vehicle.

Beefy tires are key. And something that won’t rattle to shit on washboard roads. The RR doesn’t fit that. I am mainly entertaining the idea because of how cheap they are, but I’ll be honest I have no faith in taking that anywhere I’d want to go because I would never ever trust it. Lesbihonest
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:14 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am

Well. :popcorn: go for it. I guess I don’t see the reason to buy a notoriously unreliable vehicle with intentions of taking it far off grid in the wilderness or desert. But then again I have zero patience for broken cars in general.

:dat:

Also, I'm not about status - I'd rather roll up in an FJ and people think you're just a :scrooge: in a Toyota, than roll up in a $10k RR and think you're some :waxer:
I drive a sorority girls wet dream. I think I have proven to you guys that I am not exactly all about “image” even though I was getting some heat from dfd on my m3 adventures because I apparently did it for the “badge”

The RR just looks great and I think it would make for a supremely comfortable play toy.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am

Also, I'm not about status - I'd rather roll up in an FJ and people think you're just a :scrooge: in a Toyota, than roll up in a $10k RR and think you're some :waxer:
I mean. I don’t really get the FJ either. But I have no time in one. Opinion might change if I were to check one out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I might be getting my beater Miata

:popcorn:
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 am

I mean. I don’t really get the FJ either. But I have no time in one. Opinion might change if I were to check one out.
It’s hard to describe ...
Suicide doors
Epic space inside
You sit essentially in a tank
3 wiper bladeZzzz
Very nice ride
It has got to have some of the most unique presence in the automotive field.

aKtUaLly it may be sort of cool for you as well... fits all criteria minus mpg. But :whocares:
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:19 am I might be getting my beater Miata

Deets ?
max225

Random side note y’all watch savage geese tear into the fraud explorer ?

https://youtu.be/emrawH_HsFY

It was brutal to watch... I would hate to work at Fraud right now...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:19 am I might be getting my beater Miata

Deets ?
red 95 that was totaled due to haliariousily minor rear end damage . was nice car before. comes with spare wheels, 140k, ac working, dude just took payout and doesn't want to deal with it.
1500 ask.
I'm getting it if he responds back. we've traded messages but I think he is driving based on what he said. so when he gets back I'll go look and scoop.
it needs 300 in parts to be good as before.
and I can get antique plates!

I'm a little excited
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 am Random side note y’all watch savage geese tear into the fraud explorer ?

https://youtu.be/emrawH_HsFY

It was brutal to watch... I would hate to work at Fraud right now...
Yeah I watched that. It was cringe worthy.
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am

Deets ?
red 95 that was totaled due to haliariousily minor rear end damage . was nice car before. comes with spare wheels, 140k, ac working, dude just took payout and doesn't want to deal with it.
1500 ask.
I'm getting it if he responds back. we've traded messages but I think he is driving based on what he said. so when he gets back I'll go look and scoop.
it needs 300 in parts to be good as before.
and I can get antique plates!

I'm a little excited
Does a salvage title come with major headaches in your state ? In Cali we have to do a “brake and light” inspection before registering a salvage title car.

$1500 seems like it won’t get any lower than that ... after all Miata is the answer. Cheap fun