Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:33 am
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:09 am

Which ways are they?
I love the torque from the 2.0, the thing feels legit quick when taking off...yesterday I gunned it leaving a gas station and the tires broke loose and the back end stepped out a bit before ESC kicked in. Was :lolol: Part of that had to be the mild hybrid adding torque from take-off to 1.8k and the ESS works great without being able to detect when it shuts off and restarts. It's just a great engine. Only thing I really don't care for is the sound...it's awfully whiny sounding, but it's not obnoxious, so whatever. The 3.6 in the JT sounds a lot better, but less torque and being a truck, quite a bit slower due to weight. The 3.6L really needs to wind out to make power, which seems weird in a truck. I'd much rather have the 2.0 in it.

Ours is a Sahara with the factory headliner option, and it's noticeably quieter and more comfortable to drive around. The tires have a lot to do with that as well, which being the more aggressive option the Sahara look good, but are nice and quiet. The AT's on the JT Rubicon are getting a bit noisier, but not bad, and you can feel them a bit when coming to a stop, which is common for that type of tire. I think the JT still rides better over bumps because of the wheelbase, but the JLUS is a really compliant ride. I think the shocks or something is smoother feeling in the JLUS, hard to describe, but I really like it.

Everyone goes straight to Rubicon then :baby: :pout: about ride and noise. The Sahara is the answer, but not many consider it because it's not "the best" or whatever. I personally think it looks awesome with the optional 18's and more aggressive tire option, the best of all worlds. For looks, I just wish ours was a color (Bikini), but wife loves the white so :aintcare:
I'm rapidly coming to this conclusion. The Rubicon flex I get during 10% usage doesn't make up for the noise and atrocious fuel mileage I get for the other 90%
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Which tires are on the Sahara? I liked the minivan tires on the Sport more than the All Terrains on our Freedumb :lolol: :wrong:
The freedumb has rather aggressive tires for looks. They're not far off from an AT tire on Rubicons.

Our Sahara has Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT's:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wr ... -adventure

SUPER tame for an AT...they're probably the least aggressive AT on the market.
Pfft, ATs are for :pussy:

:lol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm
I love the torque from the 2.0, the thing feels legit quick when taking off...yesterday I gunned it leaving a gas station and the tires broke loose and the back end stepped out a bit before ESC kicked in. Was :lolol: Part of that had to be the mild hybrid adding torque from take-off to 1.8k and the ESS works great without being able to detect when it shuts off and restarts. It's just a great engine. Only thing I really don't care for is the sound...it's awfully whiny sounding, but it's not obnoxious, so whatever. The 3.6 in the JT sounds a lot better, but less torque and being a truck, quite a bit slower due to weight. The 3.6L really needs to wind out to make power, which seems weird in a truck. I'd much rather have the 2.0 in it.

Ours is a Sahara with the factory headliner option, and it's noticeably quieter and more comfortable to drive around. The tires have a lot to do with that as well, which being the more aggressive option the Sahara look good, but are nice and quiet. The AT's on the JT Rubicon are getting a bit noisier, but not bad, and you can feel them a bit when coming to a stop, which is common for that type of tire. I think the JT still rides better over bumps because of the wheelbase, but the JLUS is a really compliant ride. I think the shocks or something is smoother feeling in the JLUS, hard to describe, but I really like it.

Everyone goes straight to Rubicon then :baby: :pout: about ride and noise. The Sahara is the answer, but not many consider it because it's not "the best" or whatever. I personally think it looks awesome with the optional 18's and more aggressive tire option, the best of all worlds. For looks, I just wish ours was a color (Bikini), but wife loves the white so :aintcare:
I'm rapidly coming to this conclusion. The Rubicon flex I get during 10% usage doesn't make up for the noise and atrocious fuel mileage I get for the other 90%
I don't think they are THAT different. But the Sahara I had did average around 19-20mpg with my mostly freeway time. Tire noise isn't an issue. wind noise is... Just keep it in mind. Also you got the Fake sport Beemer not a 330i, you wanna swing the :balls: or nah?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:dat:

Speaking of fuel mileage, our Sahara is indicating 23.5mpg in almost all city type driving. :tits: claimed it indicated 25 doing 80 on the highway up here. :notbad:

My truck has never ever crested 18. The bigger tires and worse aero from the higher fenders and lift really impact mpg.

Once I buy the thing, we probably won't drive it nearly as much. The Sahara is a better all around vehicle.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:35 pm

I don't think they are THAT different. But the Sahara I had did average around 19-20mpg with my mostly freeway time. Tire noise isn't an issue. wind noise is... Just keep it in mind. Also you got the Fake sport Beemer not a 330i, you wanna swing the :balls: or nah?
I highly recommend the headliner. Seems to make a very noticeable difference.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Speaking of fuel mileage, our Sahara is indicating 23.5mpg in almost all city type driving. :tits: claimed it indicated 25 doing 80 on the highway up here. :notbad:

My truck has never ever crested 18. The bigger tires and worse aero from the higher fenders and lift really impact mpg.

Once I buy the thing, we probably won't drive it nearly as much. The Sahara is a better all around vehicle.
Yeah that is just a huge difference for the same basic powertrain.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:12 pm
The freedumb has rather aggressive tires for looks. They're not far off from an AT tire on Rubicons.

Our Sahara has Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT's:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wr ... -adventure

SUPER tame for an AT...they're probably the least aggressive AT on the market.
:word: I will probably look at those when these wear out in five years. The ones we haven't haven't been too noisy, just wander more on the highway compared to the minivan units. They have handled the few off road adventures well though, hopefully we will do more of that from time to time.
Honestly, the truck is so capable, tires don't matter as much for the wheeling you'll do. The tires on our Sahara would go anywhere other than deep mud I think.

We'll see how they wear. We just rolled over 5k miles on it yesterday. Milestone day for our fleet.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Yeah, I've been saying that since my JK.

However, 80mph+ in the JL has gotten tiresome for me. It is loud at speed. At around 70mph it's fine though. Once we close on the house I think the JL is going to go away.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Yeah that is just a huge difference for the same basic powertrain.
It's not apples to apples because my truck is a lot heavier being a pickup. And I do think the hyrbid helps a decent amount in the city.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm
Yeah, I've been saying that since my JK.

However, 80mph+ in the JL has gotten tiresome for me. It is loud at speed. At around 70mph it's fine though. Once we close on the house I think the JL is going to go away.
:(

But yea, 80 is max for quiet and comfort. If you want to go faster, there's much better vehicles for the task.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The problem is that the Rubicon still comes with the same ho hum engine options. I mean, I USE the extra power of the B58. I have to be realistic, I"m not going to use the locking diffs and other similar pieces in the Rubicon as much as I'm gonna just drive the thing on the highway. Where all its flexing is pointless.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

The Mopar window vents make a big difference with wind noise on the highway with the windows down. Really :notbad: at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:56 pm

The problem is that the Rubicon still comes with the same ho hum engine options. I mean, I USE the extra power of the B58. I have to be realistic, I"m not going to use the locking diffs and other similar pieces in the Rubicon as much as I'm gonna just drive the thing on the highway. Where all its flexing is pointless.
Hate to say it, but you're probably better off with a Grand Cherokee. Trailhawk with the 5.7 would be :megusta: for you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Hate to say it, but you're probably better off with a Grand Cherokee. Trailhawk with the 5.7 would be :megusta: for you.
:notwrong: We really love our Wrangler, I am glad we got it and it's an awesome vehicle. BUT the highway is certainly the place where it is at its worst. It is great around town - easy to park, accelerates well, great ride, potholes and :bs: aren't an issue, etc. It obviously is excellent off road. It is an awesome beach vehicle, top down cruising. On the highway it handles pretty poorly. I don't find the noise is an issue, even with the soft top, but I'm :wrong: obviously. I would 100% recommend the car but if you have an hour on the freeway daily commute or something, maybe get a Broncbro.

We also do get 23-25 MPG on the road in ours though, which is :nice: for what it is. I really like the Freedumb Edition and we get complimented on the color constantly.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:01 pm
:notwrong: We really love our Wrangler, I am glad we got it and it's an awesome vehicle. BUT the highway is certainly the place where it is at its worst. It is great around town - easy to park, accelerates well, great ride, potholes and :bs: aren't an issue, etc. It obviously is excellent off road. It is an awesome beach vehicle, top down cruising. On the highway it handles pretty poorly. I don't find the noise is an issue, even with the soft top, but I'm :wrong: obviously. I would 100% recommend the car but if you have an hour on the freeway daily commute or something, maybe get a Broncbro.

We also do get 23-25 MPG on the road in ours though, which is :nice: for what it is. I really like the Freedumb Edition and we get complimented on the color constantly.
:impressive: mpgay
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I know I’m not as into cars/performance as you guys, but I really don’t think the Wrangler is that bad on the freeway. 180 miles door to door each way this weekend and it felt just fine to me cruising at 75mph. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:31 pm I know I’m not as into cars/performance as you guys, but I really don’t think the Wrangler is that bad on the freeway. 180 miles door to door each way this weekend and it felt just fine to me cruising at 75mph. :iono:
75 is the highway cruising sweet spot IMO. I too have zero issue with it, and can do it for hours. I've been doing the 250 miles between the place up state and downstate every week for the last few weeks in my JT, and it's easy at 75. But I also don't see the point in speeding anymore...I'm happy just setting cruise at 75 and :aintcare: No need for detectors or constantly scanning the road paranoid of cops. Life is easier when it's slower for me.

:waxer: does 80+ everywhere, and I imagine Desert does the same. Wrangler is not the right vehicle for that use, it's not pleasurable at all at that speed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:39 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:31 pm I know I’m not as into cars/performance as you guys, but I really don’t think the Wrangler is that bad on the freeway. 180 miles door to door each way this weekend and it felt just fine to me cruising at 75mph. :iono:
75 is the highway cruising sweet spot IMO. I too have zero issue with it, and can do it for hours. I've been doing the 250 miles between the place up state and downstate every week for the last few weeks in my JT, and it's easy at 75. But I also don't see the point in speeding anymore...I'm happy just setting cruise at 75 and :aintcare: No need for detectors or constantly scanning the road paranoid of cops. Life is easier when it's slower for me.

:waxer: does 80+ everywhere, and I imagine Desert does the same. Wrangler is not the right vehicle for that use, it's not pleasurable at all at that speed.
I've driven a JKU Rubicon with the BFG MT's for about 5 hours of two lane driving. Totally agree that 75 is fine, 80 starting to get not fine, 85 is a huge no.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:02 pm :iono: My BMW was pretty darn quick... .
Should ride in it now that it's tuned. She skootz.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:02 pm :iono: My BMW was pretty darn quick... .
Tell us about your toon.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:39 pm

Ah yeah that makes much more sense. I never speed anymore. 75 was fast for me :lol: , I generally cruise at the posted speed limit of 65 out here :aintcare:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Tell us about your toon.
Stock turns to boost to 10.

But with the tune...

IIRC its 280hp/300tq to the wheels.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Tell us about your toon.

But with the tune...

Hamburger?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I pretty much agree, it is fine. We drove ours to Surfside, FL (near Destin) 600 miles each way and I enjoyed it. But back to back with any "normal" car and it is several categories worse handling. Are you willing to :dealwithit: for the other fun/cool things about a Wrangler? I am still glad we got it and it's still our primary trip car. The ride quality is great, it's just the wandering on the freeway that can be meh.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:01 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm

But with the tune...

Hamburger?
Yeah, it's JB4.