Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Scroll through this thread and see that the Bronco has a fairly useable trunk space. At least for your regular grocery/beer run.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ ... ange.2025/
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm Went to the VW dillerman to replace the fuel temp harness and get rid of that CE light! -fixed :fuckyeah:

Found out that I made a mistake, the all-in price including tax for the Touareg is how much I expected the pre-tax amount to be. That's 3k cheaper! :fuckyeah:

Golf R is officially paid off as for June 26th! - :fuckyeah:

Three :fuckyeah: one dillerman visit is unparalleled. I will pay 50% of the T-reg off in cash and take the other 50% on my HELOC which is down at 3.2%, gonna take our car note from 1k/mth to 360/mth on household transportation. :megusta:
Triple- :fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:19 pm

What does this run?
More than the track day costs, so most people don't do it.
Apparently more than he can afford, pal.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:37 pm
Disagree, you've lived life. Now it's time to #yolo.
We're trying! Condo should be done Mid September. New pics soon.
:popcorn:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm Went to the VW dillerman to replace the fuel temp harness and get rid of that CE light! -fixed :fuckyeah:

Found out that I made a mistake, the all-in price including tax for the Touareg is how much I expected the pre-tax amount to be. That's 3k cheaper! :fuckyeah:

Golf R is officially paid off as for June 26th! - :fuckyeah:

Three :fuckyeah: one dillerman visit is unparalleled. I will pay 50% of the T-reg off in cash and take the other 50% on my HELOC which is down at 3.2%, gonna take our car note from 1k/mth to 360/mth on household transportation. :megusta:
Triple- :fuckyeah:
Perpetual payments are :disgust: so having any kind of financial relief is a blessing. Today was like seeing the silver lining in a financial dark cloud that is our 2020.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:49 pm I wish that the thing would tow more than the Wrangler....
Yes the towing capacity is really weak and I've seen many people disappointed with it.
Shorter wheelbase, cooling, and brakes all impact towing...it's an off-roader, not a towing rig.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:22 am

Yes the towing capacity is really weak and I've seen many people disappointed with it.
Shorter wheelbase, cooling, and brakes all impact towing...it's an off-roader, not a towing rig.
Would just be nice if it towed more than a RAV4 or Sienna. I'm trying not to have 4 or 5 cars/trucks that aren't projects when I move.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

This doesn't give me much hope regarding my collapsing seat comments. Side bolster already collapsing on this one with essentially no miles. That's how it always starts on the F150s, the side bolster starts to crush. Then the seat bottom starts to sag.

And look at all that armor all on the steering wheel :datass:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm Image

This doesn't give me much hope regarding my collapsing seat comments. Side bolster already collapsing on this one with essentially no miles. That's how it always starts on the F150s, the side bolster starts to crush. Then the seat bottom starts to sag.

I have never heard this ford collapsing seat complaint before but you are so vocal about it that I feel like :popcorn:
I'm not doubting your observations they just surprise me as the F-150, along with the Mustang, is Ford's primary reason for existence.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm Image

I have never heard this ford collapsing seat complaint before but you are so vocal about it that I feel like :popcorn:
I'm not doubting your observations they just surprise me as the F-150, along with the Mustang, is Ford's primary reason for existence.
The side bolster on my f150 was collapsed when I bought it. I sold it 8 years later without fixing it. :aintcare:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The side bolster on the 6G is straight from the mustang.

Also I have seen countless side bolsters on the GTI/R is completely destroyed in most of them. I have had 0 wear on mine because I don't slide my ass down the bolsters. :aintcare:

I would be more worried about panel gaps/paint quality. And weird engine/trans issues in this configuration. The 3.6/8at is bulletproof for at least 100k miles. I can't imagine a twin turbo engine to be the same... But :whocares: warranty and POWAAA
max225

:member:
max225

Excuses excuses :lol: :lol: Wobbly suspension on giant tires ... I'd be scared with anything over 4k lbs.
max225

Also shiny wheels :triggered: me
ChrisoftheNorth

Build quality and material quality has always been a challenge for Ferd for some reason. I'd be very concerned about a Bronco with the stuff off it all the time, but I'd like to think Ferd went a step farther to make sure it doesn't look like crap after a summer.

That one failing is a pre-production vehicle that might not even have production materials in it yet. Improvements could still be made.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:13 am
Would just be nice if it towed more than a RAV4 or Sienna. I'm trying not to have 4 or 5 cars/trucks that aren't projects when I move.
Legit curious what you'd like to be able to tow beyond 3,500 lbs with your JL or a Bronco.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm
Excuses excuses :lol: :lol: Wobbly suspension on giant tires ... I'd be scared with anything over 4k lbs.
Yea...high COG and massive unsprung weight don't help at all either, but it's really wheelbase that would impact stability. My JT tows great. I want to tow the glamper with the JL one of these days to see how it does for :science:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Yea...high COG and massive unsprung weight don't help at all either, but it's really wheelbase that would impact stability. My JT tows great. I want to tow the glamper with the JL one of these days to see how it does for :science:
You should be able to tow the glamper with a Fiat 500.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 pm
It's about 2,500 lbs loaded with a full fresh water tank and propane tanks, and being single axle probably has a ~250 lb tongue weight. That's likely beyond the max of a 500.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm

It's about 2,500 lbs loaded with a full fresh water tank and propane tanks, and being single axle probably has a ~250 lb tongue weight. That's likely beyond the max of a 500.
Also beyond the weight of a 500 :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Also beyond the weight of a 500 :lol:
:ohdang: :dat:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm Build quality and material quality has always been a challenge for Ferd for some reason. I'd be very concerned about a Bronco with the stuff off it all the time, but I'd like to think Ferd went a step farther to make sure it doesn't look like crap after a summer.

That one failing is a pre-production vehicle that might not even have production materials in it yet. Improvements could still be made.
Marine grade vinyl. My buddy's JL is destroyed inside after 2 years and 30k miles. It looks like my sig others TSX with 105k miles @10 years old... it is mainly due to UV if I had to guess... no UV protection with the roof off. Plus constant washing due to dust etc.

IF you use the vehicle it wears down quite quickly... just like racing it. But at least you get the JOY out of it. These are not rare museum pieces. Use it up sell it for 80% of sticker 5 years later and rinse and repeat.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:13 am

Legit curious what you'd like to be able to tow beyond 3,500 lbs with your JL or a Bronco.
Ideally?

Something like this, with a car inside: Trailer

Would also work for a couple motorcycles and a SxS....

But, I know that this would really need more of a dedicated :truk:

Mostly it is the idea that having just the JLU held me back from getting a boat I like that is just over 4k pounds dry with a trailer, but now I'm moving to Vegas soon enough and the point is likely moot.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 pm
Ideally?

Something like this, with a car inside: Trailer

Would also work for a couple motorcycles and a SxS....

But, I know that this would really need more of a dedicated :truk:

Mostly it is the idea that having just the JLU held me back from getting a boat I like that is just over 4k pounds dry with a trailer, but now I'm moving to Vegas soon enough and the point is likely moot.
https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/Enc ... 0-8p40.htm

Gets you closer, weight wise, but you still probably want a bigger tow rig for an enclosed trailer.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.