Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:08 am

Normal rent ?
So in your careful planning of finances and life decisions you are not worried at all that you guys leaped into a mortgage during a pandemic in a state where you see wildfire smoke off your balcony? Pandemic meaning those who have the means to move elsewhere or those who cannot afford living in your area will move elsewhere (within the state or out of state) since WFH is going to be a tenant and die in that state last.

:iono: man I listen to a few podcasts and most of the ones based in California talk to guests of all backgrounds who are pretty much on the same :notsure: boat
It was a calculated risk. The area where I used to live turned into a war zone and I cashed out. We need a place to live, and I unlocked half a millskie from the other place so why not ? Worst that’ll happen is I/we lose the dp.

Joe rogan and Ben Shapiro are not representative of the average educated and working Californian
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:20 am

So in your careful planning of finances and life decisions you are not worried at all that you guys leaped into a mortgage during a pandemic in a state where you see wildfire smoke off your balcony? Pandemic meaning those who have the means to move elsewhere or those who cannot afford living in your area will move elsewhere (within the state or out of state) since WFH is going to be a tenant and die in that state last.

:iono: man I listen to a few podcasts and most of the ones based in California talk to guests of all backgrounds who are pretty much on the same :notsure: boat
It was a calculated risk. The area where I used to live turned into a war zone and I cashed out. We need a place to live, and I unlocked half a millskie from the other place so why not ? Worst that’ll happen is I/we lose the dp.

Joe rogan and Ben Shapiro are not representative of the average educated and working Californian
not talking just about Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan... how many more war zones need to happen before California actually does something about social responsibility with the huge tax burdens they put on their residents? Don’t tell me that doesn’t bother you in the slightest
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:08 am

Normal rent ?

No...very few people are willing to just up and move from a region. Family, familiarity, whatever. CA is a great place to live for many people. There won't be a tangible impact to CA property values or tax base unless the entire state falls into the ocean.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:20 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 am
Both business and residential rental. If you're going to ban ICE cars, the demand for charging is going to increase. So business owners will be forced to invest in charging to attract talent or why? Rental companies will be forced to install charging to keep places rented, which is just going to drive up the cost of rents. Everyone loses here.

In other countries that "ban" ICE cars, they do so along with an investment in renewable energy and infrastructure to support it. That's the right way to do it IMO. Forcing it on people to bear the brunt of the cost is just shitty, especially when people aren't demanding EVs to begin with. This country is still too addicted to the oil industry to cut it, so we're just going to keep going with these half measures that really screw over general consumers more than anyone else.
I had a conversation with a Tesla owner who was demanding charging stations be installed. His rationale is that he sees 6 or 7 Teslas in the parking lot now and they have nowhere to charge. I asked him why he bought a vehicle with not enough range to cover his commute, to which he said his car has enough range, and to which I said, "Then the station is not needed." His response to that was, "It is the socially responsible thing to do." That is when I told him that the building has a population of 600 people, so he is essentially asking me to spend tens of thousands of dollars to install charging stations to cater to 1% of the building's population, and furthermore, since electricity is still mostly produced using fossil fuels, it is not so much being "socially responsible" as it is simply passing the buck so that his fuel costs are zero. He also didn't see the equivalency in his wanting a charging station and my wanting a fuel card that is equal to the cost of the charging station installation plus the monthly costs of the station's usage. In his mind, that was being absurd.

I don't think many people grasp the actual scale of the conversion. Whenever I bring up the increased electrical demand and people don't understand, I just tell them to look at every vehicle on the road during one of their commutes, and now imagine every one of those vehicles plugged in and drawing power at night. It isn't a big deal now because the EV percentage is very low, but it won't be long before electrical grids will start looking like this:
:dat: :dat: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:24 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:20 am

not talking just about Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan... how many more war zones need to happen before California actually does something about social responsibility with the huge tax burdens they put on their residents? Don’t tell me that doesn’t bother you in the slightest
It’s not “California” it is people. The same people that made these laws are bringing them to other states. And no one is immune. The bum situation in Austin was :disgust: also last I checked the riots were nationwide.

Also this forum is a great cross section of the country, geographically. And the “California political “ mindset is rampant here as well. California is not some sort of a foreign country it’s the nations biggest state, we go down y’all go down with us
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:12 am The covid take out madness is the worst... 12 single use plastic containers for a dinner for 2
It's insanity. Every business is moving to make everything a single-use item even though the virus doesn't spread like that on surfaces. HR wants me to provide bags and implement a policy where people have to put their lunches in the bags before placing in the refrigerator. Fucking why?
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:35 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:12 am The covid take out madness is the worst... 12 single use plastic containers for a dinner for 2
It's insanity. Every business is moving to make everything a single-use item even though the virus doesn't spread like that on surfaces. HR wants me to provide bags and implement a policy where people have to put their lunches in the bags before placing in the refrigerator. Fucking why?
:wat: :butwhy:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:20 am It was a calculated risk. The area where I used to live turned into a war zone and I cashed out. We need a place to live, and I unlocked half a millskie from the other place so why not ? Worst that’ll happen is I/we lose the dp.

What huge tax burden? NY/NJ/CT are higher as are some other places like Chicago. Even Detroit has high taxes. At least you get something out of being in CA, if you can afford it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 am
razr390 wrote:not talking just about Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan... how many more war zones need to happen before California actually does something about social responsibility with the huge tax burdens they put on their residents? Don’t tell me that doesn’t bother you in the slightest
What huge tax burden? NY/NJ/CT are higher as are some other places like Chicago. Even Detroit has high taxes. At least you get something out of being in CA, if you can afford it.
:dat:

I pay more in property tax for my house "worth" $525k in a Detroit Suburb than my in laws do for their $1.5M house in Huntington Beach. They also somehow have cheaper water and WAY cheaper insurance.

If you can afford a down payment on a house in CA, the rest of the costs are really not that much crazier than the rest of the country.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:37 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:35 am

My only guess is that they somehow think that an infected person is going to cough into their hands, touch their container, transmit enough of the virus onto the container to survive the trip into work, the container touch another container in the fridge, transmit enough of the virus to that container to survive the hours until lunchtime, and then a person grab that container, get enough of the virus on their hands, and touch their mouth/eyes/nose and become infected. A lot of dominoes have to fall, and the chain is broken if Person A followed policy and stayed home, Person B washed their hands, or you realize the lunacy of the scenario altogether.

I'm pretty sure all of these policies are being developed by people who haven't left their homes since March. They wanted me to provide individually wrapped plastic utensils. I told them that we already have utensil dispensers that dispense them individually. They also wanted individually wrapped plates. I told them that the microwave will take care of any virus that may be lurking on those plates.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:57 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:37 am
My only guess is that they somehow think that an infected person is going to cough into their hands, touch their container, transmit enough of the virus onto the container to survive the trip into work, the container touch another container in the fridge, transmit enough of the virus to that container to survive the hours until lunchtime, and then a person grab that container, get enough of the virus on their hands, and touch their mouth/eyes/nose and become infected. A lot of dominoes have to fall, and the chain is broken if Person A followed policy and stayed home, Person B washed their hands, or you realize the lunacy of the scenario altogether.

I'm pretty sure all of these policies are being developed by people who haven't left their homes since March. They wanted me to provide individually wrapped plastic utensils. I told them that we already have utensil dispensers that dispense them individually. They also wanted individually wrapped plates. I told them that the microwave will take care of any virus that may be lurking on those plates.
And everyone in the office absolutely needs to be there to accomplish their job tasks?
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2022-subaru ... 00445.html

2022 wrx hmmm this could be a very interesting vehicle
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:59 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:57 am

And everyone in the office absolutely needs to be there to accomplish their job tasks?
That's the thing. No one is here right now. Maybe 20 people in a 150,000 sqft facility.
max225

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/tesla-model ... 00892.html

1100hp tesla from the factory... 0-60 in less than 2 seconds... Fuck your Veyron.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2022-subaru ... 00445.html

I need to get rid of mine now. Noticed today that someone doored it again. Yay.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

With an UberEats driver.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2022-subaru ... 00445.html

Carvana dat bish
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Carvana dat bish
I think that will be the plan.

Do you have to detail / wash them before carvana pick up? It's actually a legit problem for me, as there's a sinkhole on my street and I can't get around it due to low car / low profile tires that will certainly damage the wheel if I pop on/off the curb.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 am
razr390 wrote:not talking just about Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan... how many more war zones need to happen before California actually does something about social responsibility with the huge tax burdens they put on their residents? Don’t tell me that doesn’t bother you in the slightest
Yep if there's one thing I've learned on this forum it is that there are plenty of other places where the man is sticking it to you.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 am What huge tax burden? NY/NJ/CT are higher as are some other places like Chicago. Even Detroit has high taxes. At least you get something out of being in CA, if you can afford it.
Yep if there's one thing I've learned on this forum it is that there are plenty of other places where the man is sticking it to you.

general COL is certainly lower in parts of texas... But texas is no where near california in terms of just a geographical and geological place to live, not to mention that weather. there is a REASON why it is CHEAP.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Carvana dat bish

Do you have to detail / wash them before carvana pick up? It's actually a legit problem for me, as there's a sinkhole on my street and I can't get around it due to low car / low profile tires that will certainly damage the wheel if I pop on/off the curb.
What's the Carvana offer?
max225

Carvana dat bish

Doubtful...
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm

What's the Carvana offer?
I'll have to refresh it, but it was $28,400 I think.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm

general COL is certainly lower in parts of texas... But texas is no where near california in terms of just a geographical and geological place to live, not to mention that weather. there is a REASON why it is CHEAP.
The California desert offers ocean and mountain respite in 1-2 hours. The Arizona Desert offers mountain respite in less than two hours. But in Texas...........wherever you go, there you are.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:38 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm

The California desert offers ocean and mountain respite in 1-2 hours. The Arizona Desert offers mountain respite in less than two hours. But in Texas...........wherever you go, there you are.
Yea, I'm not really sure I get the appeal of Texas. Arizona mountains :doe: :megusta:

Still, it's pricey living out there, must be boomers moving out there by the tour bus full.