Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Ehhhhhhh, there are a few versions of the 4R that are quite burly, particularly the TRDBro, and an extremely robust aftermarket puts this thing head and shoulders above Brahhoe, Yukon and other crotchfruit transporters. Our Denver member's is a prime example of that
@Desert man

Trd Bros are atrociously priced. Based on my search I can get a decent FJ for around 20k.. same powertrain as the CURRENT 4R. Also the FJ comes with a rear locker standard, as well as decent tires/skids. I basically would do nothing with it...

4R you gotta hunt for the TRD pro
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 43246.html
Only one I could find... 33k for 85k miles :disgust:
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 85316.html

This dickwad wants 42.9k for a 44k 2 year old Turd. Either way to me this thing is sort of a toy. It drives like shit on normal roads compared to most cars. The ruggedness is appealing if it comes at a discount not a premium.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 12862.html

Similar to the one I drove but with some extra options... if only it wasn't fking black :disgust:
max225

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 85316.html

This dickwad wants 42.9k for a 44k 2 year old Turd. Either way to me this thing is sort of a toy. It drives like shit on normal roads compared to most cars. The ruggedness is appealing if it comes at a discount not a premium.
My buddy bought a TRD SR5 for like $40Kish. Drove it for a year and a half. Then it got hailed on. They bought it back ALL fucked up for $33K, plus his $8K hail check and he got a new Limited for like $42ish. Pretty decent way to roll.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 85316.html

My buddy bought a TRD SR5 for like $40Kish. Drove it for a year and a half. Then it got hailed on. They bought it back ALL fucked up for $33K, plus his $8K hail check and he got a new Limited for like $42ish. Pretty decent way to roll.
Um... so I should park it somewhere to get hailed on?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm

Flyover Country benefit. The point was that severe hail damage and 1.5 years later, the truck only loses $7K in value. Incredible.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:54 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Flyover Country benefit. The point was that severe hail damage and 1.5 years later, the truck only loses $7K in value. Incredible.
Yea, except in my case the loss is taxes not actual depreciation. Which is significant... 50k truk = 5k in taxes. 7k in depreciation +5k in taxes ~12k in 18 months... isn't that great. But yea this is partially why I am looking at something like that. FJs don't lose money either... 20k today is 18/19k 1-2 years from now... and there is nothing in a "new" 4 runner that I want over a current FJ.

There is a near 0 chance of a catastrophic engine or trans failure in a Yoder with under 150k miles with maintenance records... Since I :aintcare: about anything Yoder did in the last decade to these things (which they haven't) there is no reason to go newer and eat taxes + park double the $$$$$ in something that will see occasional use.

The base FJ comes better equipped for off roading than the top of the line TURD BRO.
max225

Also if I am crossing above 30k... why wouldn't I just get a :wrangler: ? I priced a black/tan at 34k spec'd to my liking, with the usual 8k on the hood when they want to move some units, I am likely going to spend 30k OTD or so... and eat at most 5-6k vs the above mentioned yoder scenario. There are almost no discounts on the TRD SUVs
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:54 pm

Yea, except in my case the loss is taxes not actual depreciation. Which is significant... 50k truk = 5k in taxes. 7k in depreciation +5k in taxes ~12k in 18 months... isn't that great. But yea this is partially why I am looking at something like that. FJs don't lose money either... 20k today is 18/19k 1-2 years from now... and there is nothing in a "new" 4 runner that I want over a current FJ.

There is a near 0 chance of a catastrophic engine or trans failure in a Yoder with under 150k miles with maintenance records... Since I :aintcare: about anything Yoder did in the last decade to these things (which they haven't) there is no reason to go newer and eat taxes + park double the $$$$$ in something that will see occasional use.

The base FJ comes better equipped for off roading than the top of the line TURD BRO.
Sales Tax in this state helps keep the :plac: at bay for me.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:01 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Yep, it is unavoidable unless you go deep used and start cheatin. I paid a whopping $2500 to register the mini.That's nearly $200 a month, and we're not even counting depreciation. (for a year)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Yep, it is unavoidable unless you go deep used and start cheatin. I paid a whopping $2500 to register the mini.That's nearly $200 a month, and we're not even counting depreciation. (for a year)
MSRP usually is close to OTD after TTL.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:04 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm

MSRP usually is close to OTD after TTL.
Depends on the car. Yoder transaction price will be roughly 53k on a 50k truck after a mini discunt. Jeep OTD will be 3-4k lower than MSRP.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

What's so great about a fucking truck?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm What's so great about a fucking truck?
It can go places a car can't. And it's not a :truk:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm What's so great about a fucking truck?
:yeahok:

There's a reason the civilized world is paved.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm
max225 wrote:
:yeahok:

What if I told you there is a whole world out there that isn't? :lol:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm :yeahok:

What if I told you there is a whole world out there that isn't? Image
Sure. So quit your job and move to the woods if you hate civilization so much.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:43 pm
max225 wrote:
What if I told you there is a whole world out there that isn't? Image
Sure. So quit your job and move to the woods if you hate civilization so much.
I can do it on the weekends without quitting my job. :iono:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:43 pm Sure. So quit your job and move to the woods if you hate civilization so much.
Sure. I still don't get it. You hate your "shitty" roads and house so you want to buy a truck to go out and drive on even worse paths and sleep in worse places for fun?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm
max225 wrote:
Sure. I still don't get it. You hate your "shitty" roads and house so you want to buy a truck to go out and drive on even worse paths and sleep in worse places for fun?
I want a thing that can traverse shitty roads on occasion. And there are plenty of hotels around the places where I wanted to go. Also why not just have both ? I have a fun car (mini) for the times I want to drive in one way, and a POS landozer when I just want to go over other types of terrain.

Having one glove that fits all results in a golf.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm Sure. I still don't get it. You hate your "shitty" roads and house so you want to buy a truck to go out and drive on even worse paths and sleep in worse places for fun?
I want a thing that can traverse shitty roads on occasion. And there are plenty of hotels around the places where I wanted to go. Also why not just have both ? I have a fun car (mini) for the times I want to drive in one way, and a POS landozer when I just want to go over other types of terrain.

Or just leave the uncivilized world to the poors? :iono:

I just don't understand intentionally making life harder. There are paved roads to anywhere worth going.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 pm
max225 wrote:

Or just leave the uncivilized world to the poors? :iono:

I just don't understand intentionally making life harder. There are paved roads to anywhere worth going.
A track is fun to some a dirt road is fun to others? Why can't we all just get along?

Having the ability to tow+Ground clearance+Beefy tires has its attributes just like drawbacks.
Yes not daily... but on occasion, just like you usually can't use all of the cars powers daily. It's a want not a need. It a different type of automotive experience.
troyguitar

Towing makes sense, I just don't understand seeking out shitty terrain. I did thousands of miles of "off-roading" on snowmobiles over the years and we went out of our way to find the smoothest trails possible. Bumps aren't fun. In a car in CA you have some of the best roads in the world available, go drive those.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 pm Towing makes sense, I just don't understand seeking out shitty terrain. I did thousands of miles of "off-roading" on snowmobiles over the years and we went out of our way to find the smoothest trails possible. Bumps aren't fun. In a car in CA you have some of the best roads in the world available, go drive those.
Well I think I tried to explain to you as to why. I have fun on occasion on shitty(ish) roads. Not all the time not every day...but occasionally they are fun, just like canyon roads. I enjoy both. Also there are less :derp: 's in places as such... which makes it nice to get a way once in a while.