Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:38 pm
Yes obviously I'm an incompetent piece of shit who can't do anything right or treat anything right because my experiences are not the same as yours.
I didn't say any of those things. I'm just trying to help with the experiences I have had in dealing with rust on vehicles.
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:23 pm I have all of those fucking tools and take care of my shit.

It is NOT ENOUGH. Maybe it's enough in fucking Delaware, especially when you have your own garage?

Everyone here is implying or flat out stating that the trouble I have experienced with rust is all because I don't know how to work on or take care of a car.
Yes, I do have a sizable garage, and it is an advantage that I do have over others. I lucked into finding this house in my price range after a two year house hunt that involved losing out on three other houses I had bid on. However, even with the garage, I find myself often working in mine or someone else's driveway.

Delaware does have a lengthy salt season.
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:46 pm I had a big air impact and torch and WEEKS of spraying fucking PB blaster, liquid wrench, and WD40 on the shit multiple times per day plus swinging the biggest hammers I could find as fucking hard as I could at shit on the allroad...

At one point I had an 8 ft long 4x4 and was winding up and swinging that motherfucker as hard as I could at a chisel that I had rigged into place.

So fuck off with this condescension. I tried everything remotely reasonable.
Not all impacts are created equal. I first had an air impact with 325 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, and it didn't do dick with anything that even heard about corrosion. I replaced it with an air gun with 600 ft/lbs, and it still struggled with some suspension bolts. I replaced it with an 18v Makita that has something like 1100 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, and that thing is a beast. I have ditched all of my old air tools aside from my air hammer at this point.

And I'm not trying to come off as condescending. I'm just presenting information.
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:48 pm Also: If I need fire or a cutting tool, then that is unreasonable and too much effort even if it does "work" - no one should ever have to do that.
There are plenty of times where some concentrated fire has been the saving grace and the difference between a two hour job and a two day stint. The same with cutting. Sometimes the bolt just needs to be cut and replaced. Don't make things harder with self-imposed limitations.
Makita > Milwaukee?

I need to invest... I was looking at Milwaukee impact + drill for around $200 which isn’t bad. I also wanted to pick up the weed eater but at $300... I might just get one for $20 on Craig’s.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:48 pm Also: If I need fire or a cutting tool, then that is unreasonable and too much effort even if it does "work" - no one should ever have to do that.
A mapp torch is generally hot enough to un-seize fasteners and readily available.
So much this. My Mapp torch has saved me so many times...even on bolts that aren't even rusty. Heat is good.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am

I didn't say any of those things. I'm just trying to help with the experiences I have had in dealing with rust on vehicles.

Yes, I do have a sizable garage, and it is an advantage that I do have over others. I lucked into finding this house in my price range after a two year house hunt that involved losing out on three other houses I had bid on. However, even with the garage, I find myself often working in mine or someone else's driveway.

Not all impacts are created equal. I first had an air impact with 325 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, and it didn't do dick with anything that even heard about corrosion. I replaced it with an air gun with 600 ft/lbs, and it still struggled with some suspension bolts. I replaced it with an 18v Makita that has something like 1100 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, and that thing is a beast. I have ditched all of my old air tools aside from my air hammer at this point.

And I'm not trying to come off as condescending. I'm just presenting information.

There are plenty of times where some concentrated fire has been the saving grace and the difference between a two hour job and a two day stint. The same with cutting. Sometimes the bolt just needs to be cut and replaced. Don't make things harder with self-imposed limitations.
Makita > Milwaukee?

I need to invest... I was looking at Milwaukee impact + drill for around $200 which isn’t bad. I also wanted to pick up the weed eater but at $300... I might just get one for $20 on Craig’s.
Makita impact FTW. Although I think Milwaukee might have one now with higher breakaway torque? Not sure how it matches up on RPMs though.

Milwaukee wins with a 12v ratchet though (Makita doesn’t really have one).
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 am

A mapp torch is generally hot enough to un-seize fasteners and readily available.
So much this. My Mapp torch has saved me so many times...even on bolts that aren't even rusty. Heat is good.
:dat:

And Acetone + ATF to help with corroded fasteners.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Makita > Milwaukee?

Honestly, at this point in the game, you could go either way and be fine as long as you stick with the Milwaukee Fuel line or the Makita LXT Brushless line. I prefer Makita's 18V line because I have used their tools since 2007 without issue, and I saw no reason to switch to another battery line. Milwaukee has a much more diverse 12V line. So, I've maintained that split of Makita for 18V and Milwaukee for 12V.
Huckleberry

4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:58 am

Makita > Milwaukee?

Makita impact FTW. Although I think Milwaukee might have one now with higher breakaway torque? Not sure how it matches up on RPMs though.

They are constantly upping one another with torque ratings on their impacts. Milwaukee will be top dog for a few months, and then Makita will release a new one with bigger numbers and take the throne for a few months.

This is the one I have: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT08XVZ

So far, it just doesn't care how tight the fastener is. The only downside is that it doesn't fit in tight spots, but with almost 1200 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, throwing an extension and a wobbly on don't really decrease the torque to a point that hinders the job.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 pm
4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:58 am

They are constantly upping one another with torque ratings on their impacts. Milwaukee will be top dog for a few months, and then Makita will release a new one with bigger numbers and take the throne for a few months.

This is the one I have: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT08XVZ

So far, it just doesn't care how tight the fastener is. The only downside is that it doesn't fit in tight spots, but with almost 1200 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, throwing an extension and a wobbly on don't really decrease the torque to a point that hinders the job.
Yeah, that's the same one I have. It's amazing. I still get out my air impact from time to time when I need RPM/acceleration, but for everything else I use the electric.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:56 pm :thanksobama:

Hehe my car comes with a blue squid icon next to the thingy that tells you you’re going fast.

Lisa’s dads BMW 2002 owner manual tells you how to do all the maintenance on the car. It’s like a Haines manual.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

The E30 manual vs. the F30 manual is hilarious.
The E30 comes with a tool kit, detailed explination of valve adjustment, fluid quantities etc.

The F30 manual jus says "All maintenance should be performed by an experienced technician at a BMW facility"
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Heat is a great way to prevent damage.
I see the Hagerty guys using it all the time on older engines, whether they need it or not.

Also, because this is 2020, there's a nifty tool for that I want to pick up. It's an induction heating element.

No flame, no worries.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, the grey Dakota's exhaust came off with a sawzall, and some came off all by itself.
Thanks Ted.

I still have the Ez out that I got the spark plug out with on my desk.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:38 pm Yes obviously I'm an incompetent piece of shit who can't do anything right or treat anything right because my experiences are not the same as yours.
:bruh:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 am
I see the Hagerty guys using it all the time on older engines, whether they need it or not.

Also, because this is 2020, there's a nifty tool for that I want to pick up. It's an induction heating element.

No flame, no worries.
:ohdang:

This is :neat: I wonder if that element can bend to reach bolts/nuts in tight places.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Nothing like tool named Guangzhou
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:51 am Nothing like tool named Guangzhou
You should name your tool that. :hubba:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:00 pm I have anxiety looking at those tires and wheels
YES
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Huckleberry

No flame, no worries.
That is a neat tool. I'll have to look into one. I wonder how long it takes to heat versus a MAP flame?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:51 am Nothing like tool named Guangzhou
What could go wrong? :lolol:

I'm sure Milwaukee or DeWalt will buy it from Guangzhou, slap their badge on it, and mark it up 50% so you can buy it and feel better about not buying from China.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:54 am

No flame, no worries.
That is a neat tool. I'll have to look into one. I wonder how long it takes to heat versus a MAP flame?
The thing about it is the directness of the heat. With a MAP flame, you really have to be careful what you're heating because it's easy to melt wiring or heat up other things around the subject nut/bolt. This using induction shouldn't have that problem at all.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:54 am

No flame, no worries.
From what I've seen on YouTube videos it's 10s to 20s.
(Unsure of the brand being used, it's probably a higher end one.)
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My cousin is making some positive strides towards completing is vision or rebuilding a Fiat X1/9 Bertone. He did his own body and paint work and I'm really proud for him.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

He picked the purp from Audi's collection of paint. I think it is the same color :mahtroy: painted his C5 with. :jimp:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Are those jeep headlights on the fiat ? :dat: FCA :dock: life
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am Are those jeep headlights on the fiat ? :dat: FCA :dock: life
The fitment is perfect Fiat but yes they are the same aftermarket Jeep lights. :amaze:

$120/pair - Autozone

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:45 am He picked the purp from Audi's collection of paint. I think it is the same color :mahtroy: painted his C5 with. :jimp:
That is pretty dang cool!