Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:02 am
wap wrote:
I can't imagine any of that won't be possible in the next 5 years.

You think carsin salt-using states just can't get worked on once they're 5 years old? I promise you there are many 10-15+ year old cars in my work parking lot that their :manuel: owners manage to maintain.
I have a 6 year old car in my driveway that we bought new and it only lived in salt for 2 winters... It's already a major PITA to work on anything underneath and I think all 4 wheel bearings are due to be replaced from rust. Exhaust will be next year, if not this year.
Step up your tool collection and it isn't that big of an issue. Get a good 18v, 1/2" drive impact, a MAP gas torch, and some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil. With those things, anything that isn't royally fucked will come apart. Beyond that, get an angle grinder and cut it out. Of course, you aren't going to need to do that on anything that hasn't been neglected for 20 years.

I just replaced the rear suspension in my uncle's daily-driven '03 Town Car. He takes it through the car wash regularly for an undercarriage rinse. I had no problem taking things apart. When I had to replace wheel hubs on my 2008 Silverado in 2018, my impact didn't bat an eye at the bolts.

And I have dealt with plenty of rust before:

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:10 pm

Unfortunately with the size of those brakes I think 21" are as small as you can go. MAYBE some aftermarket 20". I think he plans on some 3 piece BBS wheels.
My friend is an authorized bbs dealer if he wants to get a price while he shops around, PM me.

Edit: there is only one 3-piece BBS wheel available in that spec to fit the RS6

BBS CH-R II (non-forged)
21x10.5

$3,540+shipping+tax for the set

If he wants forged Vossen is the only reputable brand that has them in RS6 spec. HRE is going to have fitment within a month or so and then they’ll have their wheels too.

Again, PM me if interested.
I'll let him know. I'm sure he'll wait until after winter.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:39 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 pm

My friend is an authorized bbs dealer if he wants to get a price while he shops around, PM me.

Edit: there is only one 3-piece BBS wheel available in that spec to fit the RS6

BBS CH-R II (non-forged)
21x10.5

$3,540+shipping+tax for the set

If he wants forged Vossen is the only reputable brand that has them in RS6 spec. HRE is going to have fitment within a month or so and then they’ll have their wheels too.

Again, PM me if interested.
Looks like my friend and your friend may have already reached out to one another on Audizine... :popcorn:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:39 am
Looks like my friend and your friend may have already reached out to one another on Audizine... :popcorn:
Orly
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 am We use plenty of salt here and all but one of our cars have been fine. Both of my Grand Prixs has nothing more than some really minor surface rust even out to 13 years old for my second one. The RDX looked perfect at 7 years, same for my MK6 at 6.5 years and my MK7 at 4 now. The ‘05 Mazda 3 had rust forming in the rear fenders like all the rest of them, though.
My Mk6 looked very good when it was murdered at over 10 yo. My M4 still looked good at 16yo the last time I saw it. My 11 yo Scirocco still looked good when it died at 11 yo. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:21 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:02 am I have a 6 year old car in my driveway that we bought new and it only lived in salt for 2 winters... It's already a major PITA to work on anything underneath and I think all 4 wheel bearings are due to be replaced from rust. Exhaust will be next year, if not this year.
Step up your tool collection and it isn't that big of an issue. Get a good 18v, 1/2" drive impact, a MAP gas torch, and some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil. With those things, anything that isn't royally fucked will come apart. Beyond that, get an angle grinder and cut it out. Of course, you aren't going to need to do that on anything that hasn't been neglected for 20 years.

I just replaced the rear suspension in my uncle's daily-driven '03 Town Car. He takes it through the car wash regularly for an undercarriage rinse. I had no problem taking things apart. When I had to replace wheel hubs on my 2008 Silverado in 2018, my impact didn't bat an eye at the bolts.

And I have dealt with plenty of rust before:

:word:
Penetrating earl helped me a lot when working on my Beetle. Never had a bolt break on me due to rust.

I actually think maybe it helps the car more to drive it a lot in the winter than to just let it sit and rot. Burn off some of that :salt: water. :iono:
Huckleberry

coogles wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 am We use plenty of salt here and all but one of our cars have been fine. Both of my Grand Prixs has nothing more than some really minor surface rust even out to 13 years old for my second one. The RDX looked perfect at 7 years, same for my MK6 at 6.5 years and my MK7 at 4 now. The ‘05 Mazda 3 had rust forming in the rear fenders like all the rest of them, though.
That era Mazda 3 and Hyundai Tiburon are notorious for rotting out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:13 pm :salt:
:rolleyes:
Literally 10's of millions of people drive their cars 12 months/year in the plenty of states that salt their roads in the winter and they don't all disintegrate. My last 4 cars were over 10 years old when I got rid of them and they were not rust buckets. My old Mk4 is 21 years old now and is still being DD'd year round. And it's not just VW's. Wife's old 11 yo Aura is being DD'd by her folks. Still looks fine.
Sure, they probably have some rust underneath but :whocares: after that many years.

It takes a LONG time to ruin a modern car with current rust prevention measures. Go out and enjoy it.
:notwrong:

I'm glad I don't have to :dealwithit: but many people do and :thisisfine: it seems. I do always notice when I travel to the rust belt :doe: , the average condition of on-road vehicles is significantly worse than here.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Sonny boy volunteered to be a driver for a :dillerman: ship sponsored :waxer: golf event ..... he is rocking the Taycan Turbo.

He is :fuckyeah: :alpo:

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:02 am I have a 6 year old car in my driveway that we bought new and it only lived in salt for 2 winters... It's already a major PITA to work on anything underneath and I think all 4 wheel bearings are due to be replaced from rust. Exhaust will be next year, if not this year.

Yes obviously I'm an incompetent piece of shit who can't do anything right or treat anything right because my experiences are not the same as yours.
razr390

Bulb went out in wifey’s Jetta. Swapped those and attempted the notorious mk6 Jetta DRL bulb swap too that I kept putting off because they are notoriously a pain in the ass, especially the driver’s side since space isn’t existent.

Anyways. All bulbs swapped and I only have minor scrapes, bleeding, and swelling in my arms from the drivers side. Passenger took 10 minutes drivers side took a rage filled hour and a half.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Yes obviously I'm an incompetent piece of shit who can't do anything right or treat anything right because my experiences are not the same as yours.
How about instead of comparing your high level of self hatred you actually read what he says and then maybe find something to learn from it instead of taking it as an attack?

Nobody here will have 100% the same experiences in our lives. However the overall value of DFD is that we all have good experience in various aspects of life and we share that with one another in an effort to help each other out and make life easier.

However you will never be ever to do that if you think anyone replying to you is shitting on you or calling you a bitch. Only you’ve called yourself that this whole time.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:18 pm

How about instead of comparing your high level of self hatred you actually read what he says and then maybe find something to learn from it instead of taking it as an attack?

Nobody here will have 100% the same experiences in our lives. However the overall value of DFD is that we all have good experience in various aspects of life and we share that with one another in an effort to help each other out and make life easier.

However you will never be ever to do that if you think anyone replying to you is shitting on you or calling you a bitch. Only you’ve called yourself that this whole time.
I have all of those fucking tools and take care of my shit.

It is NOT ENOUGH. Maybe it's enough in fucking Delaware, especially when you have your own garage?

Everyone here is implying or flat out stating that the trouble I have experienced with rust is all because I don't know how to work on or take care of a car.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:23 pm

It is NOT ENOUGH. Maybe it's enough in fucking Delaware, especially when you have your own garage?

Everyone here is implying or flat out stating that the trouble I have experienced with rust is all because I don't know how to work on or take care of a car.
I never said that. Honestly I know Mazda’s have rust issues.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Cut exhaust off with a sawzall
Penetrating oil, impact wrenches, and fire for everything else.

Honestly, impact wrench is the biggest thing for chassis and suspension stuff. If you’re trying to use your 3/8 and a cheater pipe, you’re making it way harder than it needs to be.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:Cut exhaust off with a sawzall

Honestly, impact wrench is the biggest thing for chassis and suspension stuff. If you’re trying to use your 3/8 and a cheater pipe, you’re making it way harder than it needs to be.
I had a big air impact and torch and WEEKS of spraying fucking PB blaster, liquid wrench, and WD40 on the shit multiple times per day plus swinging the biggest hammers I could find as fucking hard as I could at shit on the allroad...

At one point I had an 8 ft long 4x4 and was winding up and swinging that motherfucker as hard as I could at a chisel that I had rigged into place.

So fuck off with this condescension. I tried everything remotely reasonable.
troyguitar

Also: If I need fire or a cutting tool, then that is unreasonable and too much effort even if it does "work" - no one should ever have to do that.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:23 pm

I’ve had to cut bolts off before. Even had a wheel seize up entirely that a shop had to slice apart to get it out. PB blaster doesn’t do much.
Huckleberry

I didn't say any of those things. I'm just trying to help with the experiences I have had in dealing with rust on vehicles.
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:23 pm I have all of those fucking tools and take care of my shit.

Yes, I do have a sizable garage, and it is an advantage that I do have over others. I lucked into finding this house in my price range after a two year house hunt that involved losing out on three other houses I had bid on. However, even with the garage, I find myself often working in mine or someone else's driveway.

Delaware does have a lengthy salt season.
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:46 pm I had a big air impact and torch and WEEKS of spraying fucking PB blaster, liquid wrench, and WD40 on the shit multiple times per day plus swinging the biggest hammers I could find as fucking hard as I could at shit on the allroad...

At one point I had an 8 ft long 4x4 and was winding up and swinging that motherfucker as hard as I could at a chisel that I had rigged into place.

Not all impacts are created equal. I first had an air impact with 325 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, and it didn't do dick with anything that even heard about corrosion. I replaced it with an air gun with 600 ft/lbs, and it still struggled with some suspension bolts. I replaced it with an 18v Makita that has something like 1100 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, and that thing is a beast. I have ditched all of my old air tools aside from my air hammer at this point.

And I'm not trying to come off as condescending. I'm just presenting information.
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:48 pm Also: If I need fire or a cutting tool, then that is unreasonable and too much effort even if it does "work" - no one should ever have to do that.
There are plenty of times where some concentrated fire has been the saving grace and the difference between a two hour job and a two day stint. The same with cutting. Sometimes the bolt just needs to be cut and replaced. Don't make things harder with self-imposed limitations.
troyguitar

:thanksobama:

SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:56 pm :thanksobama:

:notwrong:

I still remember covering this chapter in my business law class and being :mindblown: and some of the lawsuits that people have brought against companies that lead to all of this bullshit needing to be clearly stated in order to release companies from liability.
wap

4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:04 pm Cut exhaust off with a sawzall

Lol that's how I did my shox and sway bars on my Beetle. :lol:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:20 pm
4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:04 pm Cut exhaust off with a sawzall

Lol that's how I did my shox and sway bars on my Beetle. :lol:
:lolol:
Id be lying if I said that I’d never been in the same boat.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:48 pm Also: If I need fire or a cutting tool, then that is unreasonable and too much effort even if it does "work" - no one should ever have to do that.
A mapp torch is generally hot enough to un-seize fasteners and readily available.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:46 pm
4zilch wrote:Cut exhaust off with a sawzall

I had a big air impact and torch and WEEKS of spraying fucking PB blaster, liquid wrench, and WD40 on the shit multiple times per day plus swinging the biggest hammers I could find as fucking hard as I could at shit on the allroad...

And clearly all of us that have had to work on rusty shit are making it all up. :fakenews: :gtfo: