Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Honestly, the kidneys on the g80 have grown on me, especially if the car is black. But still, the regular 4 series still leaves a lot to be desired. But, do not get me started on the electric crossover
Yep, in darker colors in general it's OK. They look pretty cool in the BRGish color. I don't really want one though, they seem almost too capable at this point.
:word: I still like it as one of the last M cars with a :manuel: unlike in the g20, because murican market.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:55 pm Made it to tessiefornia

turo rental?
Yep
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:19 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 am

turo rental?
Yep
I may potentially be in LA sometime in winter for a little over a week. Im dying to get myself a fun car on there where I can carve canyons.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:35 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Lancaster CA.

Car is SLOW, BUT OTHERWISE NICE
Is this PDGay equipped? It's a 981 gen NA six base? Surprised they are that slow, isn't is like sub 3K pounds and 300 hp?
I think it's 255hp ish and yes it's PDgay. FWIW this car shifts into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear at the same speeds as our brubs to put things into perspective. Besides the sound the turbo 4 gayman would probably be better in every way since this car makes no torks, and the gearing really requires it. I got beat by a Camry V6 to a merge and had to back down yesterday. The sound is epic though and fuel cut is 7800rpm.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 pm

:iono: I am one of the few that actually doesn't mind the look of the new M3, but I would go Caddy. It does look better (at least in the front, IMO), it has hundreds more ponies, V8 noises, probably better long term reliability, better resale value, more Cars & Coffee cred, etc.

Both are good, but man, the Caddy is fucking epic and will be worth MSRP for 15 years and then go up from there.
It's also a little apples to oranges. Technically.... CT-4 is the M3 competitor and CT-5 is the M5 competitor. I just think these cars are getting quite LARGE. The last m3 was a good size... the current one is even bigger. I am :notsure: how big the CT-5 is... But I am assuming its BIGGER than the 3 series.

CT-5 will be the last of the breed, but I think so will be the M3. BMW already stated the new M3 will likely be electric, and cadillac already :doomed: all their dealers to force them into EV.

Both will be in similar positions in the future IMO.

I don't think anyone is :wrong: for getting either one. I can see getting the Caddy since there was already a lot of time spent in Brown Rocket.
This. I deeply regret not just getting an M3 in the first place. Perhaps I would be content.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:44 pm
It's also a little apples to oranges. Technically.... CT-4 is the M3 competitor and CT-5 is the M5 competitor. I just think these cars are getting quite LARGE. The last m3 was a good size... the current one is even bigger. I am :notsure: how big the CT-5 is... But I am assuming its BIGGER than the 3 series.

CT-5 will be the last of the breed, but I think so will be the M3. BMW already stated the new M3 will likely be electric, and cadillac already :doomed: all their dealers to force them into EV.

Both will be in similar positions in the future IMO.

I don't think anyone is :wrong: for getting either one. I can see getting the Caddy since there was already a lot of time spent in Brown Rocket.
This. I deeply regret not just getting an M3 in the first place. Perhaps I would be content.
I am still a bit astonished that after that whole order/wait process and the custom poop pearl paint and everything, that the wife just dumped this BMW and took over an 18 year old Tahoe.

:notsure:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:35 pm

Is this PDGay equipped? It's a 981 gen NA six base? Surprised they are that slow, isn't is like sub 3K pounds and 300 hp?
I think it's 255hp ish and yes it's PDgay. FWIW this car shifts into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear at the same speeds as our brubs to put things into perspective. Besides the sound the turbo 4 gayman would probably be better in every way since this car makes no torks, and the gearing really requires it. I got beat by a Camry V6 to a merge and had to back down yesterday. The sound is epic though and fuel cut is 7800rpm.

Yeah, that is really dumb gearing for that car, I guess that's why everyone bitches about it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:15 pm

I am still a bit astonished that after that whole order/wait process and the custom poop pearl paint and everything, that the wife just dumped this BMW and took over an 18 year old Tahoe.

Indeed. Somewhere along the line sitting up high and having endless places to stick the constant flow of water and tea she consumes trumped being Eurotrash. She drives the BMW occasionally, but VERY occasionally. Her new behemoth ride should be here in a couple of weeks
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:05 pm

Indeed. Somewhere along the line sitting up high and having endless places to stick the constant flow of water and tea she consumes trumped being Eurotrash. She drives the BMW occasionally, but VERY occasionally. Her new behemoth ride should be here in a couple of weeks
I personally find the F30 cup holders to be perfectly adequate :lolol:

I've noticed that seems to be one thing that internet brehs say is terrible about them.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:18 pm

I've noticed that seems to be one thing that internet brehs say is terrible about them.
I think they are fine as well. I think I've mentioned this before but as a passenger on trips my wife has A BUNCH of shit going. Purse, phone, plastic organizers with trip info, reservations etc. etc. The Tahoe has enough cockpit and dash space for her to lay all this shit out like Field Marshal Rommel. The BMW cockpit space is far less accommodating for this sort of thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:38 pm

I think they are fine as well. I think I've mentioned this before but as a passenger on trips my wife has A BUNCH of shit going. Purse, phone, plastic organizers with trip info, reservations etc. etc. The Tahoe has enough cockpit and dash space for her to lay all this shit out like Field Marshal Rommel. The BMW cockpit space is far less accommodating for this sort of thing.
Sounds like our wives would get along. I have to admit when my wife and I first started dating, I was a bit :notsure: / :eyeroll: with the over preparedness, but it has come in handy at times. The beach is beter with a chair and an umbrella and snacks/beverages can be welcomed on road trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:49 pm

Sounds like our wives would get along. I have to admit when my wife and I first started dating, I was a bit :notsure: / :eyeroll: with the over preparedness, but it has come in handy at times. The beach is beter with a chair and an umbrella and snacks/beverages can be welcomed on road trips.
Mine loves planning, but not necessarily preparing. We'll have a trim booked and fully planned, then pack an hour before leaving and forget a bunch of shit. At least we're both rather :aintcare: and just roll along with it, but I've learned to get better with keeping things like camping gear organized and bundled together to make grabbing things easy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Mine loves planning, but not necessarily preparing. We'll have a trim booked and fully planned, then pack an hour before leaving and forget a bunch of shit. At least we're both rather :aintcare: and just roll along with it, but I've learned to get better with keeping things like camping gear organized and bundled together to make grabbing things easy.
Mine prepares like the head armorer for a tank division.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:07 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 am
This isn't necessarily bad, but it's easy to go overboard IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:07 am

I have long ago learned that :eyeroll: and :butwhy: is not a long term strategy that is ever going to work. In the meantime I never have to wonder if I can find a corkscrew when I want to bust a nightcap at the hotel.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:51 am
I have long ago learned that :eyeroll: and :butwhy: is not a long term strategy that is ever going to work. In the meantime I never have to wonder if I can find a corkscrew when I want to bust a nightcap at the hotel.
Our last night of our trip in Germany, it was NYE and we stayed in a hotel in the forest not far from Frankfurt. We were literally the only people in the building as it was an auxiliary hotel from the main one that was some old big brick building that was converted to a hotel. In Europe, holidays are taken VERY seriously, and in Germany we learned EVERYTHING shuts down. Gas stations, restaurants, fast food, EVERYTHING was closed. The hotel had a NYE dinner that of course was sold out (wife kicked herself for not planning better on that), so we drove around until we could find SOMETHING open to get food. The only thing we could find was this tiny wine and beer shop thing, it was 4pm and the dude was about to close shop. We popped in and asked if he had food, he just pointed to a bag of crackers and said "I sell wine". K brah, we bought the bag of crackers and a bottle of wine and went back to the hotel.

What didn't we have? A wine opener. Balls. We scoured the empty hotel, including the tavern, and couldn't find a single wine opener. Hungry, tired, and ready to be done with it all, wife said that she had read about opening wine by putting the bottle in a shoe and banging it against the wall. I was trying to figure out a way to push the cork in with a pen or something, but I didn't care anymore and told her to go for it. She put the wine bottle in one of my boots and started banging it against the solid plaster wall. Within 3 hits, the cork started to come out! After 10, it was far enough out that I could pull it out the rest of the way. We were :amazing:

I tell this story often because it sums up my wife. She just blasts through life with some planning and minimal preparation and figures it out along the way and somehow things just work out. I can't "told you so" when she doesn't prepare for something because she always overcomes adversity some how to proves she can overcome anything. Nothing is impossible to her, so her need to prepare is :butwhy: to her.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: My wife keeps one in the console of the Beep Beep... :notsure: but also :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Our last night of our trip in Germany, it was NYE and we stayed in a hotel in the forest not far from Frankfurt. We were literally the only people in the building as it was an auxiliary hotel from the main one that was some old big brick building that was converted to a hotel. In Europe, holidays are taken VERY seriously, and in Germany we learned EVERYTHING shuts down. Gas stations, restaurants, fast food, EVERYTHING was closed. The hotel had a NYE dinner that of course was sold out (wife kicked herself for not planning better on that), so we drove around until we could find SOMETHING open to get food. The only thing we could find was this tiny wine and beer shop thing, it was 4pm and the dude was about to close shop. We popped in and asked if he had food, he just pointed to a bag of crackers and said "I sell wine". K brah, we bought the bag of crackers and a bottle of wine and went back to the hotel.

What didn't we have? A wine opener. Balls. We scoured the empty hotel, including the tavern, and couldn't find a single wine opener. Hungry, tired, and ready to be done with it all, wife said that she had read about opening wine by putting the bottle in a shoe and banging it against the wall. I was trying to figure out a way to push the cork in with a pen or something, but I didn't care anymore and told her to go for it. She put the wine bottle in one of my boots and started banging it against the solid plaster wall. Within 3 hits, the cork started to come out! After 10, it was far enough out that I could pull it out the rest of the way. We were :amazing:

I tell this story often because it sums up my wife. She just blasts through life with some planning and minimal preparation and figures it out along the way and somehow things just work out. I can't "told you so" when she doesn't prepare for something because she always overcomes adversity some how to proves she can overcome anything. Nothing is impossible to her, so her need to prepare is :butwhy: to her.
:impressive:

The most shocking part of this story is that it was 4 PM on NYE and in your ONE CHANCE to buy booze, you pick up one bottle of wine only? :notsure:

We went through hell trying to get a bottle open in Rome I remember. No one in Italy speaks a fuckin' word of English unlike every other Euro country I've been to. I was trolling all over the hotel trying to get a cork screw and it was just 100% lost in translation.

Also... I am trying to wrap my head around this boot thing. What part of the wine goes in the shoe and gets hit?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:14 pm

:impressive:

The most shocking part of this story is that it was 4 PM on NYE and in your ONE CHANCE to buy booze, you pick up one bottle of wine only? :notsure:

We went through hell trying to get a bottle open in Rome I remember. No one in Italy speaks a fuckin' word of English unlike every other Euro country I've been to. I was trolling all over the hotel trying to get a cork screw and it was just 100% lost in translation.

Also... I am trying to wrap my head around this boot thing. What part of the wine goes in the shoe and gets hit?
We had a 6am flight out of Frankfurt to Detroit, so we had to wake up at 3:30am to get to the airport. I knew if we went more than 1 bottle deep we would have just stayed up all night, been hung over in the morning, and the flight home would have been misery. ALSO the wine shop was a 45 minute drive from the hotel, so we didn't get the bottle open until 7ish after scouring the hotel for an opener.

BUT, the fireworks were completely out of control at midnight, like nothing I had ever seen before, and it pretty much kept us up until 3am so I kicked myself all night for not buying another bottle. At least we weren't flying hung over, so we slept the entire time because we were so tired. Oh well, live and learn.

As for the bottle in a boot trick...

We put the bottle bottom side down into the heel of my boot, just like you would put the bottle in if the boot was sitting on the ground. She held the boot and bottle at the same time and pounded the heel against the wall. In doing so, the wine pushes against the cork with each bang because there's very little air space in the bottle, pressure builds up and pushes out the cork. It has to do with fluid dynamics or some shit, but it's a real thing if you look it up :mindblown:

But, when we got back, she bought 10 wine openers and put them EVERYWHERE. Every suitcase has one, her purse, the car, every room in the house, etc. We'll never be without one again. :lolol:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That’s a cool story :lolgasm:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:11 pm

:lolol: My wife keeps one in the console of the Beep Beep... :notsure: but also :notbad:
I can't change her so might as well enjoy not having to figure out the Allen family techique, supra.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:ayfkm: mk8 has non lit head unit controls. What kind of bullshit is this lol.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWb3o56l ... =copy_link
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I started chopping some of my aftermarket parts, see what the market brings, the R is slated to get traded in at the beginning of February.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 pm :ayfkm: mk8 has non lit head unit controls. What kind of bullshit is this lol.

:wtf: :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 pm :ayfkm: mk8 has non lit head unit controls. What kind of bullshit is this lol.

I would actually not buy it because of this