Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:05 pm Bumping this since Griffballs thread turned into car chat.

Yep lowering is for suckers. Stock HEIGHT is BEST HEIGHT.
My STI was a perfect ride height. Cleared curbs and parking blocks. Looked rad.
10-4. yet.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:08 pm

:dat:

And the fact that they won't even let the owner of this $250K machine easily access the engine bay goes to show you that it will always be a Ritsche. :dillerman: $27,000 targa replacements or :gtfo:

(I know it's not a targa, but just an example of what one may face at the Porsche rape cave)

Fled has pretty much scared me away from ever purchasing a P-car that isn't a Prius.
Yep. The “service” is just :fullretard: at that brand. Senseless ass rape, unless you have fuck you money (8+ Figure net worth )
This touches a nerve.

The average household income of a Porsche owner is $650k as of the end of 2020. The average household income of a 911 owner is $940k. Panamera $880k, Cayenne $720k and Macan $510k (the base Macan has brought that number down). The average 911 owner owns multiple Porsches.

The average new Porsche owner absolutely has fuck you money. Most of my customers at my store are above average.

We are trained to cater to the fuck you money. Porsche’s goal is to be the world’s most aspirational brand by 2025. If someone brings me a beat up 2012 Panamera with 100k miles, a 918, or a brand new 911 Turbo S, you get the same level of service. You may have acquired a $20k beat up Panamera from used car lot somewhere, but that was still a $100k new car. You inherit a broken busted up Rolex and take it to a Rolex dealer, do you think you’re expecting to get anything less than stellar service and the pricing that comes along with that?

For $480 I pick up your vehicle wherever you want me to, whenever you want me to, drop a new Cayenne in your driveway or office parking lot, perform the required service, hand wash, vac, sanitize and spray wax your car, deliver it back to you with a full tank of gas and pick up your loaner, whenever and wherever you want me to. You literally pick up the phone and pick a date and I handle the rest.

These people can afford it, we’re open and up front about pricing and our customers know we provide a premium service at a premium price. I’d you don’t like the price, that’s fine. The car needs what the car needs. I’ll still clean and sanitize your car, deliver it and pick up my loaner.

We are a Porsche Premier dealer... top 10 in the US for 10 of the last 11 years under this owner’s control. I currently have a 3.5 week wait for appointments, and pick up clients cars as far away as Ohio, Virginia, Upstate NY and CT on a regular basis.

There’s no raping going on. Expensive things are expensive.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

And FWIW after Porsche at $650k it’s Tesla at $180, then Audi, Volvo, Benz, Jag, BMW and then Lexus in that order. Those six are all mid $150k HHI.

The gap from 1-2 is massive. And growing.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 pm

Yep. The “service” is just :fullretard: at that brand. Senseless ass rape, unless you have fuck you money (8+ Figure net worth )
This touches a nerve.

The average household income of a Porsche owner is $650k as of the end of 2020. The average household income of a 911 owner is $940k. Panamera $880k, Cayenne $720k and Macan $510k (the base Macan has brought that number down). The average 911 owner owns multiple Porsches.

The average new Porsche owner absolutely has fuck you money. Most of my customers at my store are above average.

We are trained to cater to the fuck you money. Porsche’s goal is to be the world’s most aspirational brand by 2025. If someone brings me a beat up 2012 Panamera with 100k miles, a 918, or a brand new 911 Turbo S, you get the same level of service. You may have acquired a $20k beat up Panamera from used car lot somewhere, but that was still a $100k new car. You inherit a broken busted up Rolex and take it to a Rolex dealer, do you think you’re expecting to get anything less than stellar service and the pricing that comes along with that?

For $480 I pick up your vehicle wherever you want me to, whenever you want me to, drop a new Cayenne in your driveway or office parking lot, perform the required service, hand wash, vac, sanitize and spray wax your car, deliver it back to you with a full tank of gas and pick up your loaner, whenever and wherever you want me to. You literally pick up the phone and pick a date and I handle the rest.

These people can afford it, we’re open and up front about pricing and our customers know we provide a premium service at a premium price. I’d you don’t like the price, that’s fine. The car needs what the car needs. I’ll still clean and sanitize your car, deliver it and pick up my loaner.

We are a Porsche Premier dealer... top 10 in the US for 10 of the last 11 years under this owner’s control. I currently have a 3.5 week wait for appointments, and pick up clients cars as far away as Ohio, Virginia, Upstate NY and CT on a regular basis.

Does the same service apply to a $1000 944?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

fledonfoot wrote: Expensive things are expensive.
:notwrong:

What gets me is how quickly they keep getting even more expensive. Not at Porsche, because I'll never be rich enough to care, but everywhere else. The idea of ever owning a Porsche is about as realistic as me being an astronaut.

Our income is now back up to the same as it was in about 2013... meanwhile many things are up 50+% in cost. How many fucking bootstraps do I need to pull? This is madness.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm

This touches a nerve.

It’s a Porsche coming into a Porsche dealership. Why wouldn’t it be?

During my first stint, I had a customer trailer in a 928 that was imported from Germany in the early 2000s and just sat for 15 years without running. I told him up front he would be well into the teens of thousands... and he brought it in anyway for a $300ish inspection fee. We checked it out, drew up a significant list of what it needed to run and I came up with a near $20k estimate. He thought I was trying to scare him off with that comment on the phone and was shocked when I emailed over the report. I spent 2 hours with the guy and the tech going over the car explaining everything to him in person the next day. 15 years of neglect added up.

During that time with him I found out his dad was stationed in Germany for several years in the 90s and died unexpectedly in 2001. This was his dream car and he would drive it on base. They shipped the car over with some help from the military and it sat in their garage for 15+ years until the son decided to maybe get it running again. Everything rubber needed replacing. The engine was hard to crank... Fuel system shot... it was too far gone.

He made arrangements to trailer the car out the following week and told me the family was looking to sell the car. I had my detail shop do an exterior detail and give it the best shine we could. I towed the car to my “warehouse” location where we have our clear bra/ceramic/McLaren service location and our in house photo studio and had a couple of studio shots taken and printed.

I met him the following week when he came to meet the tow truck and gave him the prints. I basically spent the $300 the company made on the inspection on the detail, tow and pictures, but this guy shows up to all of our cars and coffee shows and signs up for our road rally and other events.

I’m not saying this happens with every customer, but we go into every relationship with one in such a way that this can happen. There’s also plenty of cunts we deal with, too.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm

It’s a Porsche coming into a Porsche dealership. Why wouldn’t it be?

During my first stint, I had a customer trailer in a 928 that was imported from Germany in the early 2000s and just sat for 15 years without running. I told him up front he would be well into the teens of thousands... and he brought it in anyway for a $300ish inspection fee. We checked it out, drew up a significant list of what it needed to run and I came up with a near $20k estimate. He thought I was trying to scare him off with that comment on the phone and was shocked when I emailed over the report. I spent 2 hours with the guy and the tech going over the car explaining everything to him in person the next day. 15 years of neglect added up.

During that time with him I found out his dad was stationed in Germany for several years in the 90s and died unexpectedly in 2001. This was his dream car and he would drive it on base. They shipped the car over with some help from the military and it sat in their garage for 15+ years until the son decided to maybe get it running again. Everything rubber needed replacing. The engine was hard to crank... Fuel system shot... it was too far gone.

He made arrangements to trailer the car out the following week and told me the family was looking to sell the car. I had my detail shop do an exterior detail and give it the best shine we could. I towed the car to my “warehouse” location where we have our clear bra/ceramic/McLaren service location and our in house photo studio and had a couple of studio shots taken and printed.

I met him the following week when he came to meet the tow truck and gave him the prints. I basically spent the $300 the company made on the inspection on the detail, tow and pictures, but this guy shows up to all of our cars and coffee shows and signs up for our road rally and other events.

I’m not saying this happens with every customer, but we go into every relationship with one in such a way that this can happen. There’s also plenty of cunts we deal with, too.
Really enjoying your insights here.
In4cuntstories :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

This touches a nerve.

:bravo:

Much like the wife’s place of work. It’s eye-watering expensive for 98% of us, but literally everything is thought out. The staff knows what you want before you even think about it.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I fully believe and would expect that the Porsche service experience is amazing, I think what makes people like Max and I make snide remarks is the fact that times have changed and it’s now pretty much unobtainable for any middle/upper middle class person to own something like a decent Porsche ever.

10 or 20 or 30 years ago, a regular guy could buy a 15 year old 911, service it at home like a regular car more or less, and enjoy. Not so much the case now as 90s and earlier ones are six figures, 00s seemed to suffer with major reliability/quality issues, and newer requires the $450 oil changes.

:ohwell: I will stay in my lane with Corvettes and souped up Civics, certainly plenty of fun out there to be had for regular guys as well.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Back in my day a gallon of milk cost a nickel :wap:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:05 pm Bumping this since Griffballs thread turned into car chat.

Yep lowering is for suckers. Stock HEIGHT is BEST HEIGHT.
:wat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:24 am Back in my day a gallon of milk cost a nickel :wap:
They don't make em like they used to
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:38 am I fully believe and would expect that the Porsche service experience is amazing, I think what makes people like Max and I make snide remarks is the fact that times have changed and it’s now pretty much unobtainable for any middle/upper middle class person to own something like a decent Porsche ever.

10 or 20 or 30 years ago, a regular guy could buy a 15 year old 911, service it at home like a regular car more or less, and enjoy. Not so much the case now as 90s and earlier ones are six figures, 00s seemed to suffer with major reliability/quality issues, and newer requires the $450 oil changes.

:ohwell: I will stay in my lane with Corvettes and souped up Civics, certainly plenty of fun out there to be had for regular guys as well.
Not to mention, even appliances have gotten better dynamically. There's basically no such thing as "shitty" cars anymore other than mitsubishi.

Whenever I talk to my parents about Skoda, they'll go :hellno: because when they grew up it used to be cars for the poverty and shitty busses, now that they're owned by VW, they're rather a little more upscale cars. I am like that in Hyundai's, because I've been in those hyundai accent cabs growing up and I know how the dash is more like fisher price, plus one of my friends dad had the Hyundai Excel (first one made) when I was a kid and it was a complete pile. The new line-up are completely opposite, I rented one overseas and it drives on par as my mk6, i've been in santa fe, elanta, and ioniq as ubers, also decent quality too. But i'd still won't get one and GDI engines have flaws that causes :hibachi: :hibatchi: situations.

Not too long ago, phones weren't that expensive either, I remember when I bought my iphone 3g, it was only $200, now? forget it! I remember reading an article saying "my parents had a $100,000 salary and now that I make that much, I don't think I am rich" or somewhere along those lines.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:40 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm Just sold the car to shift! 5/7 experience and would absolutely recommend.

Appointment was booked for them to show up between 2 - 4pm and some dude showed up in an uber at 3:20 (he called 15 minutes beforehand to let me know he was on his way). The offer they give is if your car is in perfect condition and they deduct $$$ if they need to fix anything. I only had $65 deducted from the offer for a badly curbed wheel after he walked around the car for ~5 minutes, which I expected and thought was pretty reasonable given what it looked like.

After agreeing to the final offer, we signed the paperwork and he drove off in the car. Should have the money deposited in the next few days.

Bought it in December 2019 for $23.2k and just sold it 1.5ish years and 5k miles later for $24,535. :impressive:
Money hit my account this morning. :notbad:

My old car: https://shift.com/car/2018-white-volksw ... ti/c186084
Nice! So 3 days for the money? Not bad at all.

I’m gonna give the forester a few more weeks for sale and if it doesn’t go I’ll probably sell to shift.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:09 pm

My STI was a perfect ride height. Cleared curbs and parking blocks. Looked rad.
10-4. yet.

Huge :hellno: for me dawg. That car would get destroyed in where I'm at right now, especially in an area with lot of hills. I also don't want to imagine driving my "slightly" lowered GTI here either.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

This touches a nerve.

I know this about Porsche, and I’m still considering buying one. Used, as I am nowhere near that average new Macan owners income.... the regular maintenance costs I can handle, it’s the unexpected repairs that scare me. Do you have any advice or words of wisdom as I start shopping for my next car?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

How are Macans for maintenance and reliability? Any major issues? The would be a :neat: second vehicle for us...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

This touches a nerve.

You’re literally confirming what were saying. We’re all too poor to have one.

Just like Bugatti owners don’t give a F that tire changes cost 42k because the car gets flown to France. Ridiculous to us fine to them.
Last edited by max225 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:38 am I fully believe and would expect that the Porsche service experience is amazing, I think what makes people like Max and I make snide remarks is the fact that times have changed and it’s now pretty much unobtainable for any middle/upper middle class person to own something like a decent Porsche ever.

Not to mention, even appliances have gotten better dynamically. There's basically no such thing as "shitty" cars anymore other than mitsubishi.

Whenever I talk to my parents about Skoda, they'll go :hellno: because when they grew up it used to be cars for the poverty and shitty busses, now that they're owned by VW, they're rather a little more upscale cars. I am like that in Hyundai's, because I've been in those hyundai accent cabs growing up and I know how the dash is more like fisher price, plus one of my friends dad had the Hyundai Excel (first one made) when I was a kid and it was a complete pile. The new line-up are completely opposite, I rented one overseas and it drives on par as my mk6, i've been in santa fe, elanta, and ioniq as ubers, also decent quality too. But i'd still won't get one and GDI engines have flaws that causes :hibachi: :hibatchi: situations.

Not too long ago, phones weren't that expensive either, I remember when I bought my iphone 3g, it was only $200, now? forget it! I remember reading an article saying "my parents had a $100,000 salary and now that I make that much, I don't think I am rich" or somewhere along those lines.
Skoda is a rebadged VW, with all the same internals built in the same plants (i.e. engines/etc), and the Czechs can run weld shops as well as the next guy. Heck the T-reg/Q7/Q8/Cayenne are built in Bratislava, and I can't imagine that the Czechs are any better or worse at building cars then the Slovaks, or Germans for that matter. Both my T-reg and R are holding up exceptionally well for 4+ yr old cars. I'd buy a Skoda Octavia to save a few bucks over a VW sportwagen or whatever the equivalents are in the EU.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 am How are Macans for maintenance and reliability? Any major issues? The would be a :neat: second vehicle for us...
They are wonderful for those with a 500k + household income.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 am How are Macans for maintenance and reliability? Any major issues? The would be a :neat: second vehicle for us...
Back to shopping crosstreks then.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

:dat:
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am

Stay in your lane or pay $500 for an oil change I mean the answer is pretty clear
Apex
Drives: Abominable

How :waxer: are you?? Just :wasteful: spending on a :fancy: cross trek. Stick to your bicycle.

:lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:30 am
How :waxer: are you?? Just :wasteful: spending on a :fancy: cross trek. Stick to your bicycle.

:lol:
Right? Fucking Rockafeller.