Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:40 pm
HerrBerlin wrote:
They live in SoCal, but the cost of living is basically the same.

$85k in Seattle would honesly be okay assuming no children and never owning property. You wouldn't live lavishly, but you'd get by just fine and have some spending money.
Ugh, I guess that's the other thing that people do: plan on working/spending/renting/yoloing until they die. We're hoping to retire in this place while we're still able to walk around town without using a cane.
It's a balance. I won't be able to retire when I'm 50 because I'm yoloing, but still saving in hopes that maybe at 70 I can retire. We shall see. Any of us could shit the bed at any time, can't just slave away and save and never enjoy the here and now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:13 pm

:impressive:

How old is he?

My sister and her husband and THREE kids are all moving back in with my parents this week. It is temporary, they are under contract on some mansion and need to see that through and get some reno done before moving in. It is very :wtf: to me, they have moved in with my parents like three times, it is a huge burden with all of the kids and a destructive cat, and they always do it for some financial gain reason like "we're airBNBing out our house for a month because there's a golf tournament here and we can make $10K". Meanwhile my BIL makes like 5X the money my parents have ever made combined. It is fucking :disgust:

I have two other friends my age (32) who recently moved back in with the parents. One dude is an engineering manager making six figs in Philly ( :wtf: ), the other it's kind of understandable... he had moved down to FL with his wife, she cheated on him, divorce, etc. and he moved back up here and is sort of just getting on his feet. That, as a temporary solution is cool I guess, but I just can't imagine being OK with the moving back home thing unless you really were out of options.

I lived with mom and dad for like five months after college and paid them $400/month, which was the same as my rent after moving out back in 2012 or so.
Let me guess: absolutely none of that was paid to your parents for their troubles.
:dat: would be correct. These are people in their mid thirties who just bought a home for over $900K and own another home still that is worth $500K or so. :wtf:

I hope I have moved ahead of the curve, but throughout my mid-late twenties I recall being quite :mindblown: when I learned my sister's then 3 and 5 year old kids had higher net worth than I did :lolol: And yet, free stay for five + cat at the parents for months on end any time!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:59 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:18 pm

Let me guess: absolutely none of that was paid to your parents for their troubles.
:dat: would be correct. These are people in their mid thirties who just bought a home for over $900K and own another home still that is worth $500K or so. :wtf:

I hope I have moved ahead of the curve, but throughout my mid-late twenties I recall being quite :mindblown: when I learned my sister's then 3 and 5 year old kids had higher net worth than I did :lolol: And yet, free stay for five + cat at the parents for months on end any time!
That is just an incredibly fucked up story.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:39 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Well you know I’m a big proponent of the Crosstranny. Imo it is the perfect all around vehicle with the 2.5 motor if you just needed a :derp: box that does it all. But most will find them “boring” and seppuku
The local :dillerman: has multiple 2021 Sports for $28k. 2.5 and they're equipped like a $60k JL. It's the perfect car for the wife where we live, and I honestly think it looks pretty :neat: Shouldn't depreciate much at all, so it seems like a strong option.
The only issue I have with a cross trek is the slope of the rear hatch. Doesn’t leave much room for :doge: in the back there. May have changed in a newer gen doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:59 pm

That is just an incredibly fucked up story.
I try not to dwell on it as my sister and I have always been pretty good friends... but it is :disappoint: and my mom just lets them walk all over her, my dad is just NFG about everything really.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:40 pm Ugh, I guess that's the other thing that people do: plan on working/spending/renting/yoloing until they die. We're hoping to retire in this place while we're still able to walk around town without using a cane.
It's a balance. I won't be able to retire when I'm 50 because I'm yoloing, but still saving in hopes that maybe at 70 I can retire. We shall see. Any of us could shit the bed at any time, can't just slave away and save and never enjoy the here and now.
I'm trying to do better at this but still struggle pretty hard with it. I would love to retire early but at what cost? Even though my income has increased significantly my spending hasn't really changed since college.

The Type R is a total splurge that I've (literally) been talking about how I want it daily for the past ~3 years. Will be curious to see if I end up regretting it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:39 pm The local :dillerman: has multiple 2021 Sports for $28k. 2.5 and they're equipped like a $60k JL. It's the perfect car for the wife where we live, and I honestly think it looks pretty :neat: Shouldn't depreciate much at all, so it seems like a strong option.
The only issue I have with a cross trek is the slope of the rear hatch. Doesn’t leave much room for :doge: in the back there. May have changed in a newer gen doe.
:poorvette: solves this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:07 pm
The local :dillerman: has multiple 2021 Sports for $28k. 2.5 and they're equipped like a $60k JL. It's the perfect car for the wife where we live, and I honestly think it looks pretty :neat: Shouldn't depreciate much at all, so it seems like a strong option.
Piping in, I agree with this prognosis and would be about the Forester for this very reason. I like how boxy the Forester is, and how big the windows are all around, typical Japanese proportions which I appreciate from my 1980's Sentra days. That car had zero blind spots. 5/7 would Forester over Cross-tranny
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:55 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Well you know I’m a big proponent of the Crosstranny. Imo it is the perfect all around vehicle with the 2.5 motor if you just needed a :derp: box that does it all. But most will find them “boring” and seppuku
I lamented many times on our cross country trip a few months ago that a CrossTrek would have been able to do all of the trails and stuff just fine, be way cheaper, and more enjoyable on the highway. All of that out of the way, I'm still with the Desert Man, CrossTrek = Instant Seppuku.
A Crosstrek can do 95% of MI off-road. I kind of want to get one and show up Rubicons on 35s.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:18 pm
Apex wrote:

LOVE THIS
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Re: spending. I have caught myself being a frugal :scrooge: at times, and yolo at others. I agree it’s all about balance. Right now we are on my income and a bit of UI for :tits: due to covid. We have a 19 month old :baby: that is expensive and requires new shit constantly, alongside consumables like diapers etc.

We are renting an apartment at under $1/sq ft that isn’t in the hood and actually 10 mins from my job.

I look at others my age/life experience and realize there are so many doing better than me, and so many others doing way worse.

There is good debt and bad debt. I hate debt but realize right now at this stage until :baby: is in school and we pull 2 incomes, even if :tits: works and we pay daycare, we’re still basically on 1.25 incomes. We are going to accrue some debt in the early years of parenting just because that’s the cost of living.

Have fun and be mindful. We have about $40k of savings/investments/etc that we contribute to, so we don’t really GAF about splurging a bit to buy the daughter a toy, etc.

It’s all relative
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

We thought about buying a house but realized with this current market + income sitch we could afford something but would be house poor (prop tax, improvements, HOA + mortgage payment). Plus we don’t even know if we want to ride out our days in San Antonio (5-10 year commitment minimum if we are purchasing). So we are just gonna ride it out in apartment life that is annoying and noisy because :ohwell: rather save and invest little by little now and once :tits: makes 2 incomes we can start thinking about house.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

Apex wrote:

Have him stand up in the hatch. Anyone can stand up in the front seat. :lol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Didn't Subaru recently give the Crosstranny treatment to their Outback wagon? Would that solve this problem?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:32 pm

He normally rides in the front seat, he just walked back there. I didn't get a pic but he was laying back there chillin' before he moved into that position (he's actually in the hatch with front paws on the center console. He can stand up in the hatch, but just barely (60 pound dog). I bet a C5 actually has a bigger hatch than a CrossTranny :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

He normally rides in the front seat, he just walked back there. I didn't get a pic but he was laying back there chillin' before he moved into that position (he's actually in the hatch with front paws on the center console. He can stand up in the hatch, but just barely (60 pound dog). I bet a C5 actually has a bigger hatch than a CrossTranny :doe:
Apex

wap wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Didn't Subaru recently give the Crosstranny treatment to their Outback wagon? Would that solve this problem?
:iono:
Apex

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:47 pm

:word:
C5 may have a bigger hatch, the CrossTrek hatch is pretty small.

And :mindblown: Dplac would have 2 CT’s if they added a CrossTrek :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:58 pm

:mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Cucking is the new normal for most of us :disgust:

I :member: when I was cool and drove a corvette at 25
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:54 pm

#metoo :sissyfight:

Now I drive a Corvette at 32 and am basically just new balance spec.
ChrisoftheNorth

I never drove anything cool to most. Now that I can afford pretty much anything within reason, I don't want to. Gotta grow up sometime I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:50 pm

I never drove anything cool to most. Now that I can afford pretty much anything within reason, I don't want to. Gotta grow up sometime I guess.
:bruh: you've had a bunch of cool shit. 450 whp Corvette? AMC Pacer with V8 swap? A bunch of Jeeps? Porsche 944? BMW E30? Manual Volvo 240? Even GTIs are somewhat cool?
Apex

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:50 pm
:bruh: you've had a bunch of cool shit. 450 whp Corvette? AMC Pacer with V8 swap? A bunch of Jeeps? Porsche 944? BMW E30? Manual Volvo 240? Even GTIs are somewhat cool?
We’re not “most” people. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 pm

We’re not “most” people. :lol:
Exactly my point. Most people didn't think anything of that shit. Even the Corvette nobody really cared about other than when I told them I had one and they thought I was rich.