Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm

You can't say that a brand new 40k JL is :scrooge: in the same sentence
Compared to a 10 year old truck for 25% more I think it is... but you’re right, I’m kind of continually :disgust: that we bought such an expensive car. At the end of the day though, it is still worth what we paid.
agree to disagree. :scrooge: is something that doesn’t require 2 way insurance and costs 4 digits. Not close to mid 5s
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
Been watching it ... and the check engine light
My father in law got the first defender in southern NJ. It broke down on the drive home because they forgot to secure the battery terminals during prep and it lost power and shut down. Two weeks later the check engine light came of for an evap code that a “software update” took care of. Otherwise, it’s a pretty cool truck.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm

Been watching it ... and the check engine light
My father in law got the first defender in southern NJ. It broke down on the drive home because they forgot to secure the battery terminals during prep and it lost power and shut down. Two weeks later the check engine light came of for an evap code that a “software update” took care of. Otherwise, it’s a pretty cool truck.
Interesting.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm
There's plenty of cheap off-road options that you and I would enjoy, just not up to the standards of Max or Zil. #Cheapcarlyfe isn't for everyone.
True. I would happily rock that red Taco Johnny posted for $15k. I still think it’s overpriced though.
I :like: it too
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Compared to a 10 year old truck for 25% more I think it is... but you’re right, I’m kind of continually :disgust: that we bought such an expensive car. At the end of the day though, it is still worth what we paid.
agree to disagree. :scrooge: is something that doesn’t require 2 way insurance and costs 4 digits. Not close to mid 5s
You're :notwrong: I am just trying to justify the :troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm

You justify it because it's a fun vehicle that both you and the wife enjoy. That's about as impossible to find as a house. At least yours is in an awesome color, I have to drive around the basic bitch spec all white Sahara that's been made by the tens of thousands.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 am

You justify it because it's a fun vehicle that both you and the wife enjoy. That's about as impossible to find as a house. At least yours is in an awesome color, I have to drive around the basic bitch spec all white Sahara that's been made by the tens of thousands.
That is the true reason. Every other vehicle I like she thinks is :disgust: and every other vehicle she likes I think is :disappoint:

She did want a white :jeep: as well, but man... she loves teal, she gets teal everything, so I was able to finally sell her on it for the car after much convincing. She now loves it but when I asked if she was a fun color convert, she was like "it is only cool on Wranglers"....

:tits: :rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am
That is the true reason. Every other vehicle I like she thinks is :disgust: and every other vehicle she likes I think is :disappoint:
Same here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We parked behind this one at a trail head and snapped a pic on the way out. It was even from the same :dillerman:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That teal is :neat:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

@Big D why don't the JL and JT share the same color palette?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 pm @Big D why don't the JL and JT share the same color palette?
They're produced at different plants, so they take the opportunity to differentiate.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 pm That teal is :neat:
Thanks man. :mindblown: First compliment from :mahtroy: ever on a :truk: I think.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I think I saw a Bikini Renegade yesterday. Didn’t realize it’d made its way to other vehicles in the lineup.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:21 pm I think I saw a Bikini Renegade yesterday. Didn’t realize it’d made its way to other vehicles in the lineup.
Just to Renegade I believe.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The Renegade was a year before too wasn't it? I remember seeing many Renegades in bikini long before any Wrangler.

It's cool they differentiate colors but the JT options are pretty lame. A yellow or bikini Rubicon :jimp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 pm The Renegade was a year before too wasn't it? I remember seeing many Renegades in bikini long before any Wrangler.

It's cool they differentiate colors but the JT options are pretty lame. A yellow or bikini Rubicon :jimp:
Yep, just the ‘gade. I think only for a model year or two, around 2018.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 pm That teal is :neat:
Thanks man. :mindblown: First compliment from :mahtroy: ever on anything I think.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:21 pm I think I saw a Bikini Renegade yesterday. Didn’t realize it’d made its way to other vehicles in the lineup.
They did. The wife wants one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:43 pm

They did. The wife wants one.
It looks awesome on the Renegade, too.
:dat:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://postimg.cc/TKx7XHrN

https://postimg.cc/56L7TMFF

Lisa's dad's car. He bought it new. Spent the last 8-10 years as a wood shelf, collecting dust and mice nests. Convinced him to pull it out of the garage and we wrenched on it to get it running. Needs a lot. Was pretty funny to drive. Brakes are horrific, clutch pedal hinge is floor mounted, idle was 2k so that needs to be fixed, and carb tuning is off. But it ran pretty strong nonetheless. Engine was smoking when we were done, I think it's just starter oil we put into the block burning off the exhaust headers (that job was a little messy). Frame has a hole in it. Some rust.

40 MPH feels flat out reckless because you're like 6" off the ground in a go kart. It's loud and makes good noises. It's not really my thing. He said he'd give it to me if I want it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Pretty :neat: car! Are you going to take it off his hands once the STI is sold? Seems like not a great thing to own living in the city + being a new dad, but I :like:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am Image

Lisa's dad's car. He bought it new. Spent the last 8-10 years as a wood shelf, collecting dust and mice nests. Convinced him to pull it out of the garage and we wrenched on it to get it running. Needs a lot. Was pretty funny to drive. Brakes are horrific, clutch pedal hinge is floor mounted, idle was 2k so that needs to be fixed, and carb tuning is off. But it ran pretty strong nonetheless. Engine was smoking when we were done, I think it's just starter oil we put into the block burning off the exhaust headers (that job was a little messy). Frame has a hole in it. Some rust.

40 MPH feels flat out reckless because you're like 6" off the ground in a go kart. It's loud and makes good noises. It's not really my thing. He said he'd give it to me if I want it.
Seems like a neat thing to do? Nice of him. I would probably jump on it and slowly bring it back to life. These sorted are pretty
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am Image

Old Orange BMW Bros.

The M10 is a stout little engine. They used it in the 70's all the way into the early E30's, until the M42 16v engine replaced it.
The M20 in my car is essentially the same with two more cylinders. SOHC 2v engine.

It's definitely a USDM car with those terrible bumpers and the tail lights.
Get some Euro bumpers for it and it will really clean up the look.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

A sane 2002 restomod with a 318ti engine would be super cool. 15" wheels with some conti sports, decent brakes and shocks... but you need a garage to own an old car.