Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 am So .. Doug got a new defender :mindblown:
They seem to be doing pretty well, I see them regularly now around here.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:22 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:02 am So .. Doug got a new defender :mindblown:
They seem to be doing pretty well, I see them regularly now around here.
I saw only 1 in the last month. And I’m in RR central where they are the civics of the gayborhood. I really liked my test drive in one, but I feared the depreciation and reliability.

Daddy Doug spent 73, my spec was around 56, which is still a good value IMO
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Who’s Doug?
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:38 amWho’s Doug?
:howdareu:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:gay:
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:43 am
His spec is nice
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:54 am :gay:
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:43 am

His spec is nice
:nope:
3rd seat up front is nothing but a stupid gimmick it kills a really nice center console
6cyl is not necessary and adds some weird hybrid thing
Wheels are blah
Color is eh

I do like the air compressor ...
Blue/white wheels/white top/cloth/all off road gear/meridian sound

That’s the spec
Last edited by max225 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE

Oh, I don’t really YouTube at all. Stream a few songs here and here at work, but that’s about it.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:11 am Oh, I don’t really YouTube at all. Stream a few songs here and here at work, but that’s about it.
Do you watch TV instead?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:11 am Oh, I don’t really YouTube at all. Stream a few songs here and here at work, but that’s about it.
Do you watch TV instead?
A little bit, not much though. Currently re-watching Sons of Anarchy. Between work, :tits: , and the time spent in the gym, I don’t really have a whole lot of free time.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:45 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Do you watch TV instead?
A little bit, not much though. Currently re-watching Sons of Anarchy. Between work, :tits: , and the time spent in the gym, I don’t really have a whole lot of free time.
Intersting. I just watch it before sleep and after waking up. No time 8am-8pm
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:45 pm

Yeah if anything it’s on for a bit before bed because :tits: likes to watch it. I’ll sit and watch a bit, get up and meal prep, dick around on my phone, go play guitar, etc. I’ve never been one to just sit and watch for extended periods. I rarely watch movies because of that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The most overrated car youtuber in the land.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:12 pm
I think there are quite a few others that would take that crown. Like schmee or even stradman
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:47 pm

Yeah if anything it’s on for a bit before bed because :tits: likes to watch it. I’ll sit and watch a bit, get up and meal prep, dick around on my phone, go play guitar, etc. I’ve never been one to just sit and watch for extended periods. I rarely watch movies because of that.
This is me as well, although I mostly go for Youtube over other TV now, I love watching cycling shit and car shit far more than any traditional TV. I will sometimes watch with :tits: to make her happy :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:12 pm

I think there are quite a few others that would take that crown. Like schmee or even stradman
:iono: I like Doug a lot and used to enjoy his videos but the last several years have been terrible and he is maybe the most popular car youtuber, so I'd say majorly overrated. Back when he did fun stuff like DD an H1 in Philly, hit the drive through in a RHD Skyline, try to pick up chicks in a 360, etc. he was great. His reviews are so stupid though. He dwells on the most asinine aspects of a car and doesn't even address how they drive at all.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:20 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm

:iono: I like Doug a lot and used to enjoy his videos but the last several years have been terrible and he is maybe the most popular car youtuber, so I'd say majorly overrated. Back when he did fun stuff like DD an H1 in Philly, hit the drive through in a RHD Skyline, try to pick up chicks in a 360, etc. he was great. His reviews are so stupid though. He dwells on the most asinine aspects of a car and doesn't even address how they drive at all.
:iono: I like his videos and watch 4/5 he posts, he covers off on the car history and goes into details of various features etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:20 pm

:iono: I like his videos and watch 4/5 he posts, he covers off on the car history and goes into details of various features etc.
:word: I am obviously in the minority as he's hugely popular, but I like some production quality and more driving focused stuff. :aintcare: about tech and cupholders and shit.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:27 pm

:word: I am obviously in the minority as he's hugely popular, but I like some production quality and more driving focused stuff. :aintcare: about tech and cupholders and shit.
See I am the opposite, I :aintcare: about how people say the car drives, because that is hugely subjective. While covering off on features is more on the objective side. I rarely have the opportunity to check out as many cars as I can simply watch online. Especially since car shows are probably cancelled this season :(

I think Savageese is the best for reviewing how the car drives. But doug is far better on covering off on features/tech and giving intricate knowledge into the car.

IMO it is interesting to group a few reviewers together to get a more complete picture. Without physically doing it yourself
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 pm

See I am the opposite, I :aintcare: about how people say the car drives, because that is hugely subjective. While covering off on features is more on the objective side. I rarely have the opportunity to check out as many cars as I can simply watch online. Especially since car shows are probably cancelled this season :(

I think Savageese is the best for reviewing how the car drives. But doug is far better on covering off on features/tech and giving intricate knowledge into the car.

IMO it is interesting to group a few reviewers together to get a more complete picture. Without physically doing it yourself
Funny enough, I don't like Savageese either, that dude is so dry, I can't take it. You're right about the driving thing, I sort of just take it all as entertainment more than research in most cases. I don't think I'll be buying any new cars anytime soon as I like old shit, so it is just for the laughs. I like seeing people go fast and am just not a features guy with cars at all, I've never really gotten the obsession around here with things like lighting packages, tech, gauge cluster appearance, etc. Give me something that looks cool, sounds good, and is a ton of fun to drive, and I'm happy. I am the 1% of car buyers though, clearly I'm :wrong:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Funny enough, I don't like Savageese either, that dude is so dry, I can't take it. You're right about the driving thing, I sort of just take it all as entertainment more than research in most cases. I don't think I'll be buying any new cars anytime soon as I like old shit, so it is just for the laughs. I like seeing people go fast and am just not a features guy with cars at all, I've never really gotten the obsession around here with things like lighting packages, tech, gauge cluster appearance, etc. Give me something that looks cool, sounds good, and is a ton of fun to drive, and I'm happy. I am the 1% of car buyers though, clearly I'm :wrong:
I’d say taking a quick step into jaylenos garage or the current aircooled market would make you quite :right: people put immense value on simplicity. Which is why the :jeep: and :taco: sell so well also
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 pm

I’d say taking a quick step into jaylenos garage or the current aircooled market would make you quite :right: people put immense value on simplicity. Which is why the :jeep: and :taco: sell so well also
:notwrong: one of the things I love about our :jeep: , new car reliability and ease of ownershit with minimal :bs: features.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:10 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:54 am :gay:

His spec is nice
3rd seat up front is nothing but a stupid gimmick it kills a really nice center console
Wheels are blah
Color is eh

That’s the spec
I agree the 3rd seat is a waste. Although I'd have to get the I6 with the snorkel because it sounds damn cool :lol:

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:20 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:10 am
Wheels are blah
Color is eh

That’s the spec
I agree the 3rd seat is a waste. Although I'd have to get the I6 with the snorkel because it sounds damn cool :lol:

Yea... I am just not sure the premium is worth it. Something about the base model costing essentially as much as non discounted equally equipped :jeep: makes it quite appealing. Once you cross over 60k it is essentially diminishing returns.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:16 am :nice: egg pics, :millennial: !
:dat:
The "Red Alert" one is pretty cool.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I like Doug because he goes into the details that you can't see when looking at an OEM website or reading specs. IDGAF how he thinks it drives because I'd rather pass my own judgement on that, but it's the little details that I'm interested in learning more about.

That said, I only watch videos of cars I'm interested in, and that's rare. Most of my time on youtube is spent watching mindless stuff like Cleetus McFarland and Matt's Off Road Recovery.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.