Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:47 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:36 am

Wow how on earth is the development cost justified in this.
Platform sharing with another OEM perhaps?
Lexus IS platform
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am Man, you all love to fucking hate on Mazda. Cool.
:dat:

DFD: nobody builds cool practical cars anymore

Also DFD: OMG how could Mazda be so dumb
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am Man, you all love to fucking hate on Mazda. Cool.
I don't. Love Mazda. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I liked that new 6 that I posted. :iono:
RWD I6? Yes please, if the wagon version comes here. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

4zilch wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:

I mean it's going to be a huge automatic sedan... :whocares: which wheels are driven, nobody wants that. Not here or in the mass market unless it says Camry on the back.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:30 am
4zilch wrote:

I mean it's going to be a huge automatic sedan... :whocares: which wheels are driven, nobody wants that. Not here or in the mass market unless it says Camry on the back.
No data to support, but I’m seeing a fair number of G35s and Stingers around here, so clearly someone is interested in RWD and an auto
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I think we're just confused at some of the business decisions they've made over the last couple years.

I really like their products. The 2.5T engine was a great call, as was updating the infotainment UI in the new 3 which should trickle down. Their products seem competitive with things like Volvo and whatnot which is great and they offer it at a discount. And the products I've driven have been pretty nice. So they've got a lot going for them.

Development of an inline 6 RWD sedan seems odd. The diesel was odd. The decisions to go half a step up in price seem odd when wages have stagnated. Hopefully the inline 6 RWD stuff will be shared/co-funded with Toyota. That would make a lot of sense actually. I just don't see many practical applications for an inline 6 in their current lineup. Natty 6 banger motors are always cool.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4zilch wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am

Nothing wrong with pointing out what seems to be an oddity within the vehicle line up, that likely won’t bring in the roi.

That said it would have been nice to have Mazda do the Nissan thing of the 90s , be the sporty :derp: car...
Too bad there is no rx8 anymore either
troyguitar

4zilch wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:30 am I mean it's going to be a huge automatic sedan... :whocares: which wheels are driven, nobody wants that. Not here or in the mass market unless it says Camry on the back.
No data to support, but I’m seeing a fair number of G35s and Stingers around here, so clearly someone is interested in RWD and an auto
:impressive:

I think I've seen 2 stingers total besides when I test drove one at the :dillerman:

:truk: :truk: :truk: :truk: :minivan: :truk: :jeep: :povertytruck:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 pm

I think we're just confused at some of the business decisions they've made over the last couple years.

I really like their products. The 2.5T engine was a great call, as was updating the infotainment UI in the new 3 which should trickle down. Their products seem competitive with things like Volvo and whatnot which is great and they offer it at a discount. And the products I've driven have been pretty nice. So they've got a lot going for them.

Development of an inline 6 RWD sedan seems odd. The diesel was odd. The decisions to go half a step up in price seem odd when wages have stagnated. Hopefully the inline 6 RWD stuff will be shared/co-funded with Toyota. That would make a lot of sense actually. I just don't see many practical applications for an inline 6 in their current lineup. Natty 6 banger motors are always cool.
Next gen CX-9 will be on this RWD platform and is a prime candidate for an inline 6 with hybrid assistance. Mark my words, that’s the real goal for this.

The 6 is just longer in the tooth and due for a major update, and it’ll serve as a great testing grounds/development mule for nailing down the powertrain and platform. Since the 6 doesn’t move as many units or garner as much attention, they can afford to do that.

The next-gen CX-9 (will likely change to the CX90) needs to be a smash hit out of the gate.

Also, the next gen CX-9 needs to grow, which leaves room for a CX-70 or the CX-5 (CX50) to grow a bit.

Also, the diesel was too far down the development hole to not at least bring to market. A lot of time spent certifying that for US consumption. Might as well sell a couple.
No lawsuit issues from Vulva on that naming though ? Nearly the same minus one transposed letter.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Fuck 'em
The New I-6 Mazda is making is seriously :neat:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The next E39 530i Sport? Decent.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:28 pm The next E39 530i Sport? Decent.
Was gonna say, but no roundel, no care
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:28 pm The next E39 530i Sport? Decent.
Exactly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am
I don't. Love Mazda. :iono:
#metoo

I want an ND2... I also like the 3 and 6.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I could totally see driving a RWD i6 Mazda6, especially if they offer with a :manuel:

Could be a :neat: :baby: hauler for many of the people here who have 'em.

2.0T is so damn boring, it would be awesome to see other options that don't sound like :poop: and have more exciting powah bands.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 am I could totally see driving a RWD i6 Mazda6, especially if they offer with a :manuel:

Could be a :neat: :baby: hauler for many of the people here who have 'em.

2.0T is so damn boring, it would be awesome to see other options that don't sound like :poop: and have more exciting powah bands.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opinio ... -turbo-lag

Turbo cars are best with some lag change my mind.

I dont disagree.... when the boost would hit in an evo, my buddys mk2 supra....buddys GSX :ohmy:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:37 pm https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opinio ... -turbo-lag

I dont disagree.... when the boost would hit in an evo, my buddys mk2 supra....buddys GSX :ohmy:
:notwrong:

Give me old school turbo with power up high over the stupid diesel torque that's popular now. That's why I think the 2.0T Cayman might actually be fun.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:37 pm https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opinio ... -turbo-lag

:hai:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

This is true.

Best part of my tuna’d brodozer was waiting for the turbo to spool
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:29 pm

:pouroneout:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Gbergs R felt like it had a V6 under the hood. Power everywhere. But it lacked the manic nature of the EJ on boost. Both are fun.

I will say that if the car makes peanuts for power without the turbo it’s annoying as shit to have lag. If it makes acceptable power off boost and then turns into a screamer on boost that’s fun. The MK6 GTI fell into the first camp. The STI fits into the second.

Like, throwing more turbo lag at the Honda 1.5T wouldn’t improve it IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:46 am
coogles wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am

Gbergs R felt like it had a V6 under the hood. Power everywhere. But it lacked the manic nature of the EJ on boost. Both are fun.

I will say that if the car makes peanuts for power without the turbo it’s annoying as shit to have lag. If it makes acceptable power off boost and then turns into a screamer on boost that’s fun. The MK6 GTI fell into the first camp. The STI fits into the second.

Like, throwing more turbo lag at the Honda 1.5T wouldn’t improve it IMO.
I miss real turbo lag from old 80's products.

My 951 was like a switch at 4.5k RPM. It was mild under that, then it hit 4.5k and it was a manic rocket. Terrible for drag racing, but epic for :lolol:

Modern cars don't exhibit that kind of lag. DI and modern engine controls do a good job of filling in the gaps.

Agreed that the base engine needs to have some balls before the boost kicks in, otherwise it's more frustrating than fun.