Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:38 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:47 pm If the write off is there, commuting as a business owner has tax benefits that will flat out pay for the car. Some peeps like doing it in fun cars, others drive fuel misers to capitalize on the write off
But I would rather spend that amount of time in something that isn’t so low and harsh
:iono: some people want fun to drive. Also... Magride cars ride really nicely I think?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:45 pm

But I would rather spend that amount of time in something that isn’t so low and harsh
:iono: some people want fun to drive. Also... Magride cars ride really nicely I think?
I don’t think it’s “fun” after 30 min ... The things that make a car “fun to drive” make it terrible for this sort of long distance thing
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:56 pm

I don’t think it’s “fun” after 30 min ... The things that make a car “fun to drive” make it terrible for this sort of long distance thing
I guess that this person is a diehard New Balance fan and wants to be in a 'vette. It wouldn't be my first pick either, heck I sometimes think that the R could be a better highway cruiser some days, but lately I'm glad that it has a combination of practicality, looks and some level of performance fun. As of right now, I wouldn't trade it for a more comfy thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: I think Corvettes are great highway cruisers. It would be high on my list for a cross cuntry trip - good fuel economy, can be repaired anywhere, great for passing, fun when the opportunity to have fun comes up, reliable, plenty of room inside, great open feel with targa on or off... I wouldn't choose my particular C5, but a newer one with nicer interior... why not?
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:04 pm
:iono: I think Corvettes are great highway cruisers. It would be high on my list for a cross cuntry trip - good fuel economy, can be repaired anywhere, great for passing, fun when the opportunity to have fun comes up, reliable, plenty of room inside, great open feel with targa on or off... I wouldn't choose my particular C5, but a newer one with nicer interior... why not?
I would much rather get something that runs on 87 and doesn’t have low profile tires that can’t be rotated or replaced in Timbuknowhere USA.

Also something with a higher riding position and far more cargo capacity for a cross country trip. Sure you can even take a Vespa across country but that doesn’t make comfortable
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:03 pm
I guess that this person is a diehard New Balance fan and wants to be in a 'vette. It wouldn't be my first pick either, heck I sometimes think that the R could be a better highway cruiser some days, but lately I'm glad that it has a combination of practicality, looks and some level of performance fun. As of right now, I wouldn't trade it for a more comfy thing.
But an R imo is far better than a corvette ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:08 pm

An R is boring :doe:

Agree to disagree... it is a personal preference thing.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 pm

For a road trip as such ?70k miles a year? We need a poll
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 pm

For a road trip as such ?70k miles a year? We need a poll
:iono: If it was just me for that money... I think so. So many variables.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:47 pm If the write off is there, commuting as a business owner has tax benefits that will flat out pay for the car. Some peeps like doing it in fun cars, others drive fuel misers to capitalize on the write off
It's a base car, so it's pretty soft and boaty.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm with Griff. I would have driven my C5 anywhere.

I drove a C7 to indy and back a few times...a 4.5 hour drive each way. Aside from just being cramped inside, I found it to be remarkably comfortable with the MSRC in comfort or whatever mode. I could see driving that thing cross country no problem.

But since the C7 is so cramped for me, I wouldn't buy one with the intention of putting a lot of miles on. A Challenger Scat Pack perhaps...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I DD'ed my C5, not saying it isn't possible. Anything is. But it isn't comfortable IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:31 pm I DD'ed my C5, not saying it isn't possible. Anything is. But it isn't comfortable IMO.
I actually didn't like to DD it because getting in and out got old. I DD'd it for a few months last year, and ultimately that might have been what pushed me to sell it.

But to sit in for hours eating up highway miles? It was pretty great.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:32 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:31 pm I DD'ed my C5, not saying it isn't possible. Anything is. But it isn't comfortable IMO.
I actually didn't like to DD it because getting in and out got old. I DD'd it for a few months last year, and ultimately that might have been what pushed me to sell it.

But to sit in for hours eating up highway miles? It was pretty great.
I like sitting a bit higher for highway miles, also my entire front end of the C5 got chewed up by debris within 30k miles, not because I tail gated but because it was just so damn low, my golf in 70k miles had far less damage. And the C5 had terrible blind spots, got pretty warm/has a small and loud cabin... stiff ride... I dunno I get what you guy are saying. But I just think for 20k+ miles a year it is easier and more comfortable to drive something different.

I completely stopped driving my C5 when I got my TDI. It isn't FUN to drive a C5 @ 1500rpm @75mph it was slower than my diesel golf in top gear at that speed, and it was just a terrible vehicle IMO for that sort of scenario.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

They are :poop: in a city. I have driven my round trip to Miami three times (1500 miles), to TOTD a ton, basically all over the south east. I just don't find it to be an uncomfortable car at all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And I certianly don't drive that much, but I think I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I have logged 50K miles in a C5, I think more than any other forum members here.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:38 pm And I certianly don't drive that much, but I think I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I have logged 50K miles in a C5, I think more than any other forum members here.
I was at 45k so for now you're :winning: One year I put on 20k :doe: , then dropped to 5k or less for another 2 years when I only used it for fun vs DD.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

This being DFD, you're both clearly :wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It is a better DD, but I owned a base C6 and can say it rode really well. My Vette's biggest problem (aside from my C6 seats) is probably wind noise, pretty sure a C7 coupe is a much nicer experience and closes the gap between the C6 and the R when it comes to refinement.

Some cushy Lexus :truk: or :suv: thing with big sidewalls is probably my first choice for that much driving at this point in my life.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If I was to drive straight to Bangor Maine I would pick the fleet in the following order:

1. E350
2. 440i
3. Brahhoe
4. C6

The truck is set up stiff with Bilstein HDs, it ain't no pillow. All this talk about a Corvette being this easy riding highway cruiser is just a young man's thought process, IMHO. Do I enjoy road trips with it? Yes. On good roads it is a good long distance cruiser. But like multiple 10 hour days? Hell to the naw. Rides too rough on bad roads, of which there are many in America, and the seats don't cut it either.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:49 pm If I was to drive straight to Bangor Maine I would pick the fleet in the following order:

1. E350
2. 440i
3. Brahhoe
4. C6

The truck is set up stiff with Bilstein HDs, it ain't no pillow. All this talk about a Corvette being this easy riding highway cruiser is just a young man's thought process, IMHO. Do I enjoy road trips with it? Yes. On good roads it is a good long distance cruiser. But like multiple 10 hour days? Hell to the naw. Rides too rough on bad roads, of which there are many in America, and the seats don't cut it either.
Guess I'm not old enough yet. When I have had rental barges before I fucking hate driving them. I was way more comfortable driving the :wankel: 10-12 hours each way to SCCA events for example than I am in most other cars. The 86 seats are even better. Super comfy to me.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:49 pm If I was to drive straight to Bangor Maine I would pick the fleet in the following order:

1. E350
2. 440i
3. Brahhoe
4. C6

Guess I'm not old enough yet. When I have had rental barges before I fucking hate driving them. I was way more comfortable driving the :wankel: 10-12 hours each way to SCCA events for example than I am in most other cars. The 86 seats are even better. Super comfy to me.
Dat Troybod coach class no elbows touching weight goes easy on the land doe.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

1. E350
2. 440i
3. Brahhoe
4. C6

My C6 GS road rough... Even my Z51 C7 was softer, and the base is even softer. The C7 Z06+Z07 was the stiffest of them all, tour mode was way stiffer than the C6.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 pm

1. E350
2. 440i
3. Brahhoe
4. C6

My C6 GS road rough... Even my Z51 C7 was softer, and the base is even softer. The C7 Z06+Z07 was the stiffest of them all, tour mode was way stiffer than the C6.
The base C6 is a plush MF, velvety soft dampener setup.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 pm

1. E350
2. 440i
3. Brahhoe
4. C6

Dat vindicated opinion.