Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 am

Because everyone else does, duh.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses.
House of cards implosion is imminent.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/cfpb ... come-rule/

Unlimited money cheat = enabled. :thisisfine:

Still able to short the housing market?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 pm I can honestly say the single worst financial decision of the last 5 years has been the purchase of a $60K OTD BMW that is now worth $30K or less. Only way this turns out to a tolerable sitch is if we keep it for another 3 years. Yes it's a luxury, yes we can afford it, but I don't love the car to the tune of that kind of depreciation. It would have been better to spend $70K on a lightly used 997 Carrera S......at least you would walk out to the garage every day and say :fuckyeah: The whole 60 grand appliance thing.......:notsure:
:yikes: That's painful.

I'm right there with you about buying cars nearing the bottom of a depreciation curve. Even if they cost a bit more to maintain, you're not dealing with much of a balance sheet hit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 am

There is so much of that going on. And thinking that "keeping up with" others requires buying a depreciating asset is just :fullretard:. I always wonder how much of the "middle class struggles" are just because people want huge houses and brand new $50,000 Wranglers instead of living more modestly.
I can honestly say the single worst financial decision of the last 5 years has been the purchase of a $60K OTD BMW that is now worth $30K or less. Only way this turns out to a tolerable sitch is if we keep it for another 3 years. Yes it's a luxury, yes we can afford it, but I don't love the car to the tune of that kind of depreciation. It would have been better to spend $70K on a lightly used 997 Carrera S......at least you would walk out to the garage every day and say :fuckyeah: The whole 60 grand appliance thing.......:notsure:
AKA Financial Seppuku

Joking aside if the wife owns and operates it into the sunset then so be it. With :tits: there is always compromise.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:45 pm

I can honestly say the single worst financial decision of the last 5 years has been the purchase of a $60K OTD BMW that is now worth $30K or less. Only way this turns out to a tolerable sitch is if we keep it for another 3 years. Yes it's a luxury, yes we can afford it, but I don't love the car to the tune of that kind of depreciation. It would have been better to spend $70K on a lightly used 997 Carrera S......at least you would walk out to the garage every day and say :fuckyeah: The whole 60 grand appliance thing.......:notsure:
AKA Financial Seppuku

Joking aside if the wife owns and operates it into the sunset then so be it. With :tits: there is always compromise.
If the wife were informed that a slightly used model in not EXACTLY the color combo she wanted would buy first class air and a European River Cruise, she might have a change of heart.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 pm

AKA Financial Seppuku

If the wife were informed that a slightly used model in not EXACTLY the color combo she wanted would buy first class air and a European River Cruise, she might have a change of heart.
:notwrong:

Maybe bring it up and start programming her for the next one!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

There is so much of that going on. And thinking that "keeping up with" others requires buying a depreciating asset is just :fullretard:. I always wonder how much of the "middle class struggles" are just because people want huge houses and brand new $50,000 Wranglers instead of living more modestly.
Yea 22/25k on trade... but that's just what it is you knew it we knew, and we knew it going in. It was like buying an engagement ring. She "Knows what she wants" so you put up and shut up or she won't put up with you letting a fart rip at 1am without storming out of the house and asking for the big D.

I thought I was being relatively safe on the Mini (which pales to the Brown Bavarian chariot of fire), but even that ran me around 10k so far... a solid $3k+ per month. Obviously this will exponentially continue to decrease in expense but the front loaded number is simply staggering.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I think it definitely does contribute, but stagnant purchasing power is also a real thing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 pm

AKA Financial Seppuku

It's always nice when :tits: actually wants the cheaper car. She thought the white Atlas with black wheels was :muah: and preferred it to the Telluride that cost nearly $10k more. Fine by me!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Yea 22/25k on trade... but that's just what it is you knew it we knew, and we knew it going in. It was like buying an engagement ring. She "Knows what she wants" so you put up and shut up or she won't put up with you letting a fart rip at 1am without storming out of the house and asking for the big D.

I thought I was being relatively safe on the Mini (which pales to the Brown Bavarian chariot of fire), but even that ran me around 10k so far... a solid $3k+ per month. Obviously this will exponentially continue to decrease in expense but the front loaded number is simply staggering.
At a certain point in the relationship, farting may not be loved, but it's tolerated.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm

At a certain point in the relationship, farting may not be loved, but it's tolerated.
When you fart during a bj but she doesn't even blink :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm

I don't think I'd ever go that far.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:25 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:22 pm
I don't think I'd ever go that far.
Sometimes it sneaks up on ya :doe:
max225

Just like sinking 30k in 2 years on a brown bavarian rocket.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 pm
The :gorf: is kind of the median between full :minivan: status and something fun/cool. Any smaller and I couldn't haul two kids and a trunk full of tools but I make it work. The Euro spec station wagon Golf R is the ultimate dad car. Alas, they don't sell them here unfortunately.

Dis:

Man, that would be a sweet DD. Honestly, if the Sportwagen was available with the GTI motor, I would have gone that route over the Rabbit.

Part of me thinks we'll see wagons make a comeback over here once the SUV craze dies and people realize that they actually don't have to haul an entire house's worth of belongings with them on every trip. A friend of mine is helping his sister-in-law find a replacement vehicle. She has two kids and was convinced that she needed nothing short of a $45,000 SUV to fit the kids and be deathproof. The one issue with that is her bank account says she needs no more than a $25,000 vehicle. On their car shopping trip, she reluctantly looked at a Honda Accord, and much to her surprise, she actually liked it. Even more to her surprise, the car seat actually fit in the rear. The most surprising to her? This brand new car was under $25,000.

It makes me wonder how many people are convinced that they need to spend 50 large just to get a decent vehicle.
I'd be completely all over that if it happened. Would 100% be my next car purchase. Nahgonnahappen :doe: :(

Agreed with the rest of the post.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:45 am Image
:megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:09 pm

We're at year three now brah. :zing:
wap

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 am

House of cards implosion is imminent.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/cfpb ... come-rule/

Unlimited money cheat = enabled. :thisisfine:
:wtf: :rage:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It's human nature to live at the top of your budget even if it's totally unnecessary. I even see myself doing it :disgust:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:42 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:09 pm
Man time is flying by FAST :oops: It is a 2017 right?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Man time is flying by FAST :oops: It is a 2017 right?
Yessir took delivery in Feb of 2017.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:38 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:09 am

Man, that would be a sweet DD. Honestly, if the Sportwagen was available with the GTI motor, I would have gone that route over the Rabbit.

Part of me thinks we'll see wagons make a comeback over here once the SUV craze dies and people realize that they actually don't have to haul an entire house's worth of belongings with them on every trip. A friend of mine is helping his sister-in-law find a replacement vehicle. She has two kids and was convinced that she needed nothing short of a $45,000 SUV to fit the kids and be deathproof. The one issue with that is her bank account says she needs no more than a $25,000 vehicle. On their car shopping trip, she reluctantly looked at a Honda Accord, and much to her surprise, she actually liked it. Even more to her surprise, the car seat actually fit in the rear. The most surprising to her? This brand new car was under $25,000.

It makes me wonder how many people are convinced that they need to spend 50 large just to get a decent vehicle.
I'd be completely all over that if it happened. Would 100% be my next car purchase. Nahgonnahappen :doe: :(

So I have to ask, do you ever actually fill up the :mk6: and need more room? Forum bruhs have such :wub: for wagons but I can't think of a single sitch I've been in outside of moving (where I'd need to rent a :truk: anyway) that I've been in requiring more than the space available in a regular hatch/sedan/coupe. Not trolling, serious question.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 pm

So I have to ask, do you ever actually fill up the :mk6: and need more room? Forum bruhs have such :wub: for wagons but I can't think of a single sitch I've been in outside of moving (where I'd need to rent a :truk: anyway) that I've been in requiring more than the space available in a regular hatch/sedan/coupe. Not trolling, serious question.
:triggered: I FEEL PERSONALLY OFFENDED
wap

Is this why you got engaged? :lol:
max225

wap wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Is this why you got engaged? :lol:
:like: :lol:
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 pm

Didn't read it as trolling.
Occasionally, yes, I need more room. Not often, granted, but occasionally. Mostly when we take one of our long road trips as the :turboyaris: hatch gets maxed out pretty quick with all the shit we bring, and I don't like to lower the back seats and expose everything we're carrying to the world. And for occasional trips to the home center it would be handy for longer lengths of lumber, conduit, bags of dirt or mulch, :pinshit: things, etc, plus bringing home the Christmas tree every year. Also, our occasional stock up runs to Sams fills up the hatch plus the back seat on occasion. So I wouldn't use it weekly or monthly, but several times a year it would come in very handy. And yes, I'm aware I can rent a pick up for $25 for those times but I wouldn't have to bother if I had a little wonder wagon. And it wouldn't be a compromise vehicle at all like a crappy CUV because it would drive just like a small, nimble car that it still is.

But, that's just my opinion, man.