Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:(
max225

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@datforumdoe.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am Completed another 1500 mile road trip over the last 4 days in the :taco: . 19.3mpg in case anyone cares. This is certainly living up to my expectations.

Also PSA do not go to LA. That place has turned into an epic cesspool. However auxiliary cities around LA on the beach are still nice.
19.3 is pretty damned decent IMO.

LA has always been a cesspool :disgust:
:yikes:

If I wasn't leaning toward leasing the Outback rather than purchasing something outright, the mpg figures would be my main reasoning for still probably not going with the 4Runner. The Outback XT should get close to 30 on a highway trip - getting only 19 would be tough to stomach.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:16 pm I can't post my long ass rant about LA... getting a server error... 6x and counting ... wtf
:sad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@datforumdoe.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
I get that on my laptop occasionally. It seems to clear if i back out and hit submit again. My post stays intact when i hit back on my browser.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm
19.3 is pretty damned decent IMO.

LA has always been a cesspool :disgust:

If I wasn't leaning toward leasing the Outback rather than purchasing something outright, the mpg figures would be my main reasoning for still probably not going with the 4Runner. The Outback XT should get close to 30 on a highway trip - getting only 19 would be tough to stomach.
4 Runner would get around 17 in my sort of driving. Outback XT for me would be no where near 30... that's a pipe dream. It would be around 25 on premium for the same route. So bear that in mind... take 19/25 .. ~24% worse than an outback... so if you're getting 30 in outback you'd get ~23 in the taco or about 20 in the 4R.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:22 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:20 pm

4 Runner would get around 17 in my sort of driving. Outback XT for me would be no where near 30... that's a pipe dream. It would be around 25 on premium for the same route. So bear that in mind... take 19/25 .. ~24% worse than an outback... so if you're getting 30 in outback you'd get ~23 in the taco or about 20 in the 4R.
Outback XT takes 87, thankfully. Still, 17 vs 25 would be a huge delta. That's ~50% better.
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Outback XT takes 87, thankfully. Still, 17 vs 25 would be a huge delta. That's ~50% better.
yea the delta is undeniable. A turbo 4 that runs on reg.. interesting they recommend premium for "full performance" :doe:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:22 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm
I get that on my laptop occasionally. It seems to clear if i back out and hit submit again. My post stays intact when i hit back on my browser.
Changed browsers and my password here and still no fucking dice :( tried 10x now.
max225

I'd love to elaborate. To me LA is geographically a gorgeous town, mountains, valleys, beaches, canyons. It also has some of the best weather in the world (LA proper). 79F is the average high and 65 is the average low for about 5-7 months. Rarely does it get hot....
max225

I am already deeply familiar with LA specific issues:
1. Traffic
2. Homeless etc
3. Fakeness of certain area.
max225

Here is what is NEW:
The homelessness is SO prolific throughout the entire town that is deeply frightening. It seems like a failed society. SF has homeless too, but they are isolated to a few areas and they keep to that area and die there. Where as most of the city is still fine. LA ... I drove 100s of miles through it... and they are EVERY WHERE, every corner... There is TRASH, there are people under every overpass. They are not "people" anymore they are ZOMBIES. I don't know how else to describe it.. when you look at them, there is no spark, or thought, there is either anger or rage or complete absence of human thought. It is terrifying to witness.
Once again the issue is HOW PROLIFIC it got and HOW BAD the homeless have become... Across from city hall there was a being... I don't know male or female standing in a tent wearing nothing but weird white chalk like body paint yelling at the street... Right next to the beverly hills private school... (seeing distance)
max225

(West Hollywood section)
We stayed in WE-HO, which is by any measure a high end area with plenty of expensive shows/nightlife etc. It was a Vegas like cesspool, with purple haired :mahtroy: s smoking weed all over, running around with jump suits with their tits flapping.
There is a constant roar of sirens/helicopters and DODGE CHARGER/CHALLENGERs blasting down the street at all hours of the day. It was impossible to sleep, the hotel provided EAR PLUGS. A $400 a night hotel WITH EAR PLUGS BRO.
We tried to get to a Comedy club which is right next to our hotel.. and it was like it was the 90s... Shit was sold out... the crowd looked rowdy AF, and the bouncers were dressed like pimps... Ya no thanks glad we didn't go. I can't imagine it being anywhere near the same level of experience we've had in NYC comedy cellar.
I cut our stay short and we left... for Huntington beach (which was just fine)
max225

(Hollywood blvd section)
Hollywood blvd was always WEIRD... I never had illusions on that... but now it is just TERRIFYING. That's a big difference. There is rampant crime done out in the open. There is NO POLICE to be seen. People are smoking crack/high/shooting up in public... the people walking the streets are confused tourists that will never come back.... and hordes of chin diaper wearing Ogres, which are loud, and throwing thrash all over the place. For lack of a better description. All businesses have bars on the windows... or are boarded up... I would not be comfortable eating there... walking there or having my wife walk the street solo. It is just NO MAN'S LAND IMO.
max225

(Rodeo drive section)
Every store had at least 30 people in line... they looked to be 20-30 year old folks from very odd backgrounds... I have no idea where they are getting all that money... and why there are lines? This isn't a sneaker launch (of which i saw at least 4 with lines 150-200 people long, all over the course of 24 hrs). Gone are the days of just clean streets, tourists and families... its just ratchet bitches taking selfies and smoking weed/vaping all over the place and its just completely detracting from the experience. I can see that in a ghetto mall... no RODEO DRIVE. I didn't spot any interesting vehicles either as it seems like most people with "real" money are obviously avoiding this area like a plague now.
max225

Overall the place has turned absolutely :disgust: whoever hasn't LEFT LA stayed for strange reasons, why stay?... And whoever is MOVING/VISITING La is adding to the cess pool that it has become. I think this was the final time I am going there in at least a few years. There is just nothing to do or see without encountering danger to your well being and being charged a pretty penny.

Plenty of gas stations are at $6 a gallon for example... because reasons...
The freeways are littered with trash, there are just mountains of TRASH EVERY WHERE YOU LOOK
There is NO LAW ENFORCEMENT (we drove 1500 miles and NOT A SINGLE SPEED TRAP)
"People" drive 60 in 25s and it is terrifying just 0FG cutting everyone off. Worst drivers I have encountered since driving in Israel.
lots of wait times for everything...
terrifying homeless situation even for someone who is USED TO IT. I am not from Odessa Texas and have never visited a big city.

I could go on and on and on.

One positive thing... Peterson is still nice.
max225

Had to divide it into multiple shit posts... sorry yall.
max225

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:30 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:27 pm

yea the delta is undeniable. A turbo 4 that runs on reg.. interesting they recommend premium for "full performance" :doe:
Yeah I’m gonna put 87 in that bitch. 93 is nahgonnahappen.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:thisisfine:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Yeah, Outback takes regular. I think I average 23-24 mpg over the life of it. Mostly highway driving and traffic.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:33 pm Had to divide it into multiple shit posts... sorry yall.
:impressive: content.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:20 pm Yeah, Outback takes regular. I think I average 23-24 mpg over the life of it. Mostly highway driving and traffic.
That's not bad, really. I'm a nerd and track my fuel economy in the GTI and have averaged 26.8mpg while I've had it, but that's been on 93. It would probably come out about even using 87 in the lesbo wagon. Moving to a 4R averaging 17mpg would be :yikes:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I visited LA a with some friends in 2018 and it was nowhere near as bad as you described it, but there were plenty of homeless, trash, traffic and freaks. I think the pandemic really fucked that city over.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 pm I visited LA a with some friends in 2018 and it was nowhere near as bad as you described it, but there were plenty of homeless, trash, traffic and freaks. I think the pandemic really fucked that city over.
Where'd you go? I experienced everything Max described 10 years ago when I lived there and frequented the same areas.

We Ho, Hollywood, DTLA, all terrible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.