Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:40 am Sports cars/sporty cars suck IRL now. There's nowhere really fun to drive them in the vast majority of country due to terrible roads, :derp: , police, etc. I just don't see a compelling reason to own them other than to please some random dudes on the internet.

The best you can do now is something reasonably efficient that drives comfortably with a touch of sportiness. Doesn't even need to be a big dick swinger badge car like a Hype R or whatever, just something with decent steering and adequate acceleration. It's sad, but it's adapting to the environment we find ourselves in now.
Stinger before it goes away would be :notbad: too
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:45 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:32 am

My favorite thing about my GTI was that I didn't care about it. Parked it anywhere, ran it through automated carwashes because I didn't feel like spending time cleaning it "properly", etc.

It was a great car, but not the right car for me. I brought this all up with the partner yesterday and his response was "how about a Golf R?" :lolol:
:doit:

MK8 R looks :nice: and it’s super fast.
$45k for a Golf R is :nope: for me though. Also couldn't deal with the non-physical buttons for everything. That's another complaint of mine about the Hype R - there is no dedicated A/C button :rage:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:27 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:58 am
:mahtroy:

That’s how I felt about the R as well. First thing I wanted to do is get 18”s. It may address a few of the issues. Paint etc is just cheap Honda quality unfortunately, no fixing that.

Welcome to the party. Want a jcw mini ? Main issue will be range :doe: even smaller gas tank….
What year and how many miles does it have? I do think it would resolve some of the issues I have though I am a :baby: and would be scared to own a used mini.
2016, 34k miles. Dealer maintenance records to birth. Over-maintained and under-appreciated here.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Here are my complaints I can think of right now. I knew some of them going in but didn't think it'd bother me too much. I realize I sound like a whiny bitch.
  • It feels super fragile. It has 3,500 miles on it now and it already has several rock chips in the paint and windshield. Most of those miles were at 75-80mph and I've never had a car that chipped like this. The wheel size also makes my butthole pucker anytime I hit something even mildly resemble a pothole. Also, holy fuck the interior rattles more than any other car I've had before.
  • The range sucks. Who decided a 12.4 gallon fuel tank would be enough on a car that averages less than 25mpg? Have yet to hit 300 miles before filling up.
  • The car is fast and handles well, but doesn't feel like it has much of a soul. That was one of my biggest complaints with my last GTI and this is only slightly better in that regard. I was hoping it'd be as fun to drive as it is to look at.
  • I don't drive enough. It sat for 2 months and accumulated 300 miles before taking it on its first road trip. The driving I do is also 80% city on shitty streets that just don't do the car justice. It also limits what I can do, like take service roads to go hiking. I knew that going in though and care about it too much to drive on them anyways like I would do with my GTI.
  • Oh, more on paint quality. It sucked from the factory. There are 3-4 spots on the car that the dealer very obviously tried to fix but just made it worse.
  • My partner doesn't like driving stick and this is our only car. Results in me driving everywhere (which i don't mind), but he can't comfortably go drive somewhere alone which I feel slightly guilty about.
I'll add more as I think of things, but these are the main things. Right now my mind is saying I want a NFG comfortable car I can park anywhere, drive anywhere, run through a car wash and not care if the paint swirls. If I had a place to charge a car, something like a RAV4 Prime would be perfect so I can run on electric 95% of the time. Or maybe a Crosstrek like Detroit's. Knowing me though I'd probably get something new and then regret it.

Now someone please talk some sense into me.
Looks like you should have been here for our little contest.
I am elevating this little gem of a comment here.
max225

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:45 am

:doit:

MK8 R looks :nice: and it’s super fast.
$45k for a Golf R is :nope: for me though. Also couldn't deal with the non-physical buttons for everything. That's another complaint of mine about the Hype R - there is no dedicated A/C button :rage:
Yea going from a CTR to a Golf R makes just about 0 sense to me. However... the new WRX or STI if they finally put a normal motor in it is a solid contender.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:48 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:19 am I think someone needs to get gti referral points here.
Yeah I drink the GTI :koolaid: but as far as I can tell I’m one of the few with minimal actual :plac: flare ups on this forum. I’ve had a 2012 MK6 Golf, 2013 MK6 GTI and a 2018 MK7.5 GTI. Been more than happy with them. I can’t think of any ACTUAL compromise that has made me unhappy with the car. Then again, I don’t presume the car is something it isn’t, which is probably what keeps the :plac: at bay.

All stock, no mods other than some VAGCOM coding, tint, dashcam, etc. only thing I changed on the car were sets of wheels. Had 2 sets of aftermarket wheels which I promptly sold after a few months to go back to OEM fitment. I wish I never sold the 17” Denver’s :sad: those were the best.

But yeah, I also don’t treat it like some super car which most of the GTI guys here in Texas and back in Florida do. They OTPHJ to keeping it super waxed/clean/etc. as long as it’s clean inside I really don’t care about anything else including paint swirls rock chips etc. only thing I go out of my way to clean is bird shit since that can actually fuck up the paint/clear coat.
The vast majority of us had GTIs at some point. The virtues of how good they are at all-arounders are well documented and I think we all agree with. It's why I owned two...a MKV and MKVI.

But for my needs now, it's still too harsh. Wheels are too big, tires are too small, suspension is too firm. Roads in Meatchicken are horrendous, and my MKVI just wasn't enjoyable much at all here. I know roads are getting bad in many other regions too, and it just makes something this sporty still too sporty IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:44 pm

Yeah I drink the GTI :koolaid: but as far as I can tell I’m one of the few with minimal actual :plac: flare ups on this forum. I’ve had a 2012 MK6 Golf, 2013 MK6 GTI and a 2018 MK7.5 GTI. Been more than happy with them. I can’t think of any ACTUAL compromise that has made me unhappy with the car. Then again, I don’t presume the car is something it isn’t, which is probably what keeps the :plac: at bay.

All stock, no mods other than some VAGCOM coding, tint, dashcam, etc. only thing I changed on the car were sets of wheels. Had 2 sets of aftermarket wheels which I promptly sold after a few months to go back to OEM fitment. I wish I never sold the 17” Denver’s :sad: those were the best.

But yeah, I also don’t treat it like some super car which most of the GTI guys here in Texas and back in Florida do. They OTPHJ to keeping it super waxed/clean/etc. as long as it’s clean inside I really don’t care about anything else including paint swirls rock chips etc. only thing I go out of my way to clean is bird shit since that can actually fuck up the paint/clear coat.
The vast majority of us had GTIs at some point. The virtues of how good they are at all-arounders are well documented and I think we all agree with. It's why I owned two...a MKV and MKVI.

But for my needs now, it's still too harsh. Wheels are too big, tires are too small, suspension is too firm. Roads in Meatchicken are horrendous, and my MKVI just wasn't enjoyable much at all here. I know roads are getting bad in many other regions too, and it just makes something this sporty still too sporty IMO.
:cuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am

Yea going from a CTR to a Golf R makes just about 0 sense to me. However... the new WRX or STI if they finally put a normal motor in it is a solid contender.
Yea. REALLY curious what the new WRX looks like.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I think we all sort of grew out of them... go figure it has been a decade now... I got my TDI in 2011 :yikes: :wap:

They are not really fast, they are not really fun, and they are not really practical. GTIs are ok at all of the above but excel at nothing. For some of us it make sense to go up the practicality/comfort scale while giving up whatever "fun" there was in one. Whether that is giving up MPG/Performance/Steering feel. It all makes cents.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:45 pm

I am thinking it will be a bit of a "refresh" because I am sure that Subaru is going :fullretard: with the whole EV push which they haven't partaken in at all, but I am sure its tying up all resources.

So some sort of bits and bobs from the current Outback/Forester improved interiors... Forester engine.. and call it a day. But that should bring a little bit of fresh life into it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 pm

I think we all sort of grew out of them... go figure it has been a decade now... I got my TDI in 2011 :yikes: :wap:

They are not really fast, they are not really fun, and they are not really practical. GTIs are ok at all of the above but excel at nothing. For some of us it make sense to go up the practicality/comfort scale while giving up whatever "fun" there was in one. Whether that is giving up MPG/Performance/Steering feel. It all makes cents.
Yea, it's such a jack of all trades that it makes you want something more skewed in one direction or another. If it's not going to be outstandingly sporty, at least be comfortable and get decent mileage.

Oddly, it's why I like the Cucktrek so much. Sure, it's not fast, but the steering and handling is pretty good for the ride comfort and efficiency. It's a great balance of things, but certainly errs more on the side of comfort than anything else. Perfect for my current needs.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:49 pm
I am thinking it will be a bit of a "refresh" because I am sure that Subaru is going :fullretard: with the whole EV push which they haven't partaken in at all, but I am sure its tying up all resources.

So some sort of bits and bobs from the current Outback/Forester improved interiors... Forester engine.. and call it a day. But that should bring a little bit of fresh life into it.
Agreed, it's probably going to be pretty minor, but still :popcorn:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 pm I think we all sort of grew out of them... go figure it has been a decade now... I got my TDI in 2011 :yikes: :wap:

Yea, it's such a jack of all trades that it makes you want something more skewed in one direction or another. If it's not going to be outstandingly sporty, at least be comfortable and get decent mileage.

Oddly, it's why I like the Cucktrek so much. Sure, it's not fast, but the steering and handling is pretty good for the ride comfort and efficiency. It's a great balance of things, but certainly errs more on the side of comfort than anything else. Perfect for my current needs.
Mazderp3 hatch does the same thing for us... Fairly sporty steering/ride/handling and enough space to haul a bike in the back, plus 35 mpg lifetime on 87 with zero repairs in 120k miles.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea, it's such a jack of all trades that it makes you want something more skewed in one direction or another. If it's not going to be outstandingly sporty, at least be comfortable and get decent mileage.

Mazderp3 hatch does the same thing for us... Fairly sporty steering/ride/handling and enough space to haul a bike in the back, plus 35 mpg lifetime on 87 with zero repairs in 120k miles.
If there was a Mazderp :dillerman: closer than 200 miles from me, it would have been a strong contender. I love the 3 for most of the same reasons I love the Cucktrek.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm Mazderp3 hatch does the same thing for us... Fairly sporty steering/ride/handling and enough space to haul a bike in the back, plus 35 mpg lifetime on 87 with zero repairs in 120k miles.
If there was a Mazderp :dillerman: closer than 200 miles from me, it would have been a strong contender. I love the 3 for most of the same reasons I love the Cucktrek.
You likely would have found the mazderp hatch too small inside. Long live the cucktrek
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Me too. The current STI may be dated but it has so much character and is a blast to drive.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 pm

:dat:

Glad to hear you like yours. My brother got one of the same trim level ~6 months ago and adores it. Helps that he has an F82 M4 to play around with if he gets too bored though.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea, it's such a jack of all trades that it makes you want something more skewed in one direction or another. If it's not going to be outstandingly sporty, at least be comfortable and get decent mileage.

I've had 3 Mazderp3s and enjoyed them all. :plac:

My 2012 was my favorite by far. It had a great 6 speed, was really efficient, and also decent to drive. Only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a sedan.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm Mazderp3 hatch does the same thing for us... Fairly sporty steering/ride/handling and enough space to haul a bike in the back, plus 35 mpg lifetime on 87 with zero repairs in 120k miles.

My 2012 was my favorite by far. It had a great 6 speed, was really efficient, and also decent to drive. Only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a sedan.
I looked at a 2012 3 before buying my GTI in 2015.... almost went for it..... was :nice: But they were asking too much for it at the time...
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:14 pm

:dat:

Glad to hear you like yours. My brother got one of the same trim level ~6 months ago and adores it. Helps that he has an F82 M4 to play around with if he gets too bored though.
It's the only vehicle in our household right now, still no regerts. Everyone that gets in it is surprised by the interior space and quality. As am I. The best party trick that :mindblown: people is taking my hands off the wheel and letting it steer. "HOW MUCH WAS THIS THING!?" people are always :mindblown:

It's a little porky with 4 people in it, but still drives great. Pretty sure a GTI would be bottomed out hella stancenation bro

Subaru nailed the Crosstrek Sport.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm

I looked at a 2012 3 before buying my GTI in 2015.... almost went for it..... was :nice: But they were asking too much for it at the time...
Dang! I almost bought a new 2012 3 bright ass blue hatch con :manuel: a few days before I was going to pull the trigger, my MKVI popped up on Craigslist and I went that route.

The Mazda3 has always been a great car
Irish

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:41 am
Irish wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Dang! I almost bought a new 2012 3 bright ass blue hatch con :manuel: a few days before I was going to pull the trigger, my MKVI popped up on Craigslist and I went that route.

The Mazda3 has always been a great car
:mahman:
Irish

Relative to the Golf Argh, I was, surprisingly to me, under whelmed by the two I drove. The one was over tuned and while it was amazingly quick it was an outlier because I would never mod it that far. The stock example, while fast, was so planted (AWD) and the power delivery so smooth=tame that its didn't feel as fun as my Stage 1 GTI.

I haven't crossed it completely off of my list as the next vehicle mostly because the souped up Golf platform really does combine the practicality and sportiness that is a fit for me. But if I do stay with :plaid: it may be the ver. 7.5 GTI. Or I may seek out a sports sedan of some sort. I am not really a hoonigan handling wise any more (trust issues with 180K GIT), I generally like straight line power, low end power/torque on on ramps, and on short straight a-ways on back roads.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tesla's Supercharger network will be open to other manufacturers later this year. I suspected this was coming since they have no more EV credits to sell for money, and this is easy revenue.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm Tesla's Supercharger network will be open to other manufacturers later this year. I suspected this was coming since they have no more EV credits to sell for money, and this is easy revenue.
Most Tesla chargers around me are all empty every time I drive by. This is a no brainer in areas like mine, just not sure what the rest of the country looks like for utilization.