Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Anyone burn through a set of Firehawk Indy 500 from start to finish? They have great online reviews and a slightly better TW rating then my contis, need new tars on my prets if I can't find a used 18" setup by spring.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 pm Anyone burn through a set of Firehawk Indy 500 from start to finish? They have great online reviews and a slightly better TW rating then my contis, need new tars on my prets if I can't find a used 18" setup by spring.
@4Zilch your input is requested.
Oh nice! :doit:

The contis were pretty soft but I wasn't over the top impressed with what I got out of them mileage wise. They were 280AA vs the indys rated at 340AA tread wear. That's not bad for budget tires that perform as well as these do according to the advertising.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 pm Anyone burn through a set of Firehawk Indy 500 from start to finish? They have great online reviews and a slightly better TW rating then my contis, need new tars on my prets if I can't find a used 18" setup by spring.
I had Indy 500's on my MK6. They are a great bang for buck tire. I would say 85% of the performance of a PSS/PS4S for 50% of the price. The sidewall is actually a bit softer than the comparable PSS/PS4S but that is imo a better thing for daily driving/non-track use.

They lasted me pretty long. I was at about 23k miles with them (rotated every 5k) and they still had "drivable" tread on them when I swapped for winters.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

The conti ECS is a lot better than their earlier tires FWIW. That's what I want to get for my car.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 pm Brand new Chevy Camaro SS in green.

Automatic emergency braking has saved us from 3 accidents already. :neat:

This car sucks for MPG. We killed 1/4 tank today driving to lunch, office, dinner, and hotel. I bet it’s getting about 12 MPG.

The gigantic air vent controls are stupid.

Nice inside but horrible use of space. But nice. The infotainment is angled down for no reason. Can’t rest elbow on window. But it seems decently well made. Good stereo.

Visibility is horrific. You can’t see anything over your shoulder or on the opposite side of the car at all.

Car is fast as fuck and sounds awesome above 3k. Under that it sounds like an industrial rock crusher.

The Schwinn trans is good.

Laughable trunk. The opening is so tiny.

We both kind of like the Challenger more. But this is certainly fun, as long as my boss doesn’t wreck it.
Pics would be nice too. I know we can all google. But it adds a bit of flair to the post. Camero likely has a tiny fuel tank disease since it comes with a baby dick 2.slow
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTEBU4BF1CK143968

Gawd ... this car... UGHHHH!!! I WANT IT
Serviced every 6 months at toyota... for 6 years... then traded in at a land rover dealership. Cali its' whole life.

What's not to love ?!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 am https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTEBU4BF1CK143968

Gawd ... this car... UGHHHH!!! I WANT IT
Serviced every 6 months at toyota... for 6 years... then traded in at a land rover dealership. Cali its' whole life.

What's not to love ?!
I reeeally like it and don't think it will be around for long. You can afford it, get it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:54 pm The conti ECS is a lot better than their earlier tires FWIW. That's what I want to get for my car.
They review well and even the bmw bros say the are compatible to PS4S but they almost cost the same. I need to do some serious miles in the next couple of years and want to find a balance of quiet/comfort/longevity for cheap if possible but not be totally disappointed when I try to have a little fun. I feel like these are too good for what I need to achieve.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:41 pm
I had Indy 500's on my MK6. They are a great bang for buck tire. I would say 85% of the performance of a PSS/PS4S for 50% of the price. The sidewall is actually a bit softer than the comparable PSS/PS4S but that is imo a better thing for daily driving/non-track use.

They lasted me pretty long. I was at about 23k miles with them (rotated every 5k) and they still had "drivable" tread on them when I swapped for winters.
If I can snag a deal I might :doit: but I dont want to save $50 and have to deal with :bs: road noise or balance issues. So far people seem to like them and they seem cheap.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:54 pm The conti ECS is a lot better than their earlier tires FWIW. That's what I want to get for my car.
They review well and even the bmw bros say the are compatible to PS4S but they almost cost the same. I need to do some serious miles in the next couple of years and want to find a balance of quiet/comfort/longevity for cheap if possible but not be totally disappointed when I try to have a little fun. I feel like these are too good for what I need to achieve.
ECS should be in the same price range as the indy 500 for most sizes. I thought that they were perfect on my MR2 and plan to buy them again whenever the time comes. I haven't driven on the 500 :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm Honestly I definitely see the appeal of a truck... Maybe it's just Texas wearing on me.
https://youtu.be/q2uE_W8ucg0
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 pm Brand new Chevy Camaro SS in green.

Automatic emergency braking has saved us from 3 accidents already. :neat:

This car sucks for MPG. We killed 1/4 tank today driving to lunch, office, dinner, and hotel. I bet it’s getting about 12 MPG.

The gigantic air vent controls are stupid.

Nice inside but horrible use of space. But nice. The infotainment is angled down for no reason. Can’t rest elbow on window. But it seems decently well made. Good stereo.

Visibility is horrific. You can’t see anything over your shoulder or on the opposite side of the car at all.

Car is fast as fuck and sounds awesome above 3k. Under that it sounds like an industrial rock crusher.

The Schwinn trans is good.

Laughable trunk. The opening is so tiny.

We both kind of like the Challenger more. But this is certainly fun, as long as my boss doesn’t wreck it.
Pics please haven't seen that green in person and it looks different in every picture on Google.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

My only real issues with the Indy 500 was that they’re super vague when approaching the limit. Never noticed any balance or noise issues with them, but also have driven conti’s because they don’t fit my :jalapenis: :ramz: so it’s difficult to compare directly. I suspect that most people will be perfectly happy with the 500 and the reviews seem to reflect that.

Broken record incoming: I prefer BFG SC2 for budget performance tar, with the caveat that they’re noisy. Vs the Indy 500, they’re better at channeling water, lateral grip is about the same, slightly worse forward grip, but much much better feel.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 am
Tarspin wrote:
ECS should be in the same price range as the indy 500 for most sizes. I thought that they were perfect on my MR2 and plan to buy them again whenever the time comes. I haven't driven on the 500 :doe:
Going to get them both priced, I liked the way my existing contis wore, no extra noise or drama right to the wear bars and would buy the brand again.
Last edited by Tar on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 am

My only real issues with the Indy 500 was that they’re super vague when approaching the limit. Never noticed any balance or noise issues with them, but also have driven conti’s because they don’t fit my :jalapenis: :ramz: so it’s difficult to compare directly. I suspect that most people will be perfectly happy with the 500 and the reviews seem to reflect that.

Broken record incoming: I prefer BFG SC2 for budget performance tar, with the caveat that they’re noisy. Vs the Indy 500, they’re better at channeling water, lateral grip is about the same, slightly worse forward grip, but much much better feel.
Thanks @4zilch, I'll look into them as an alternate :scrooge: option, at very least get them priced.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

discuss

your-vehicle-is-already-broken-have-fun-breaking-it-

https://jalopnik.com/your-vehicle-is-al ... k_facebook
brain go brrrrrr
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 am discuss

There is a balance you can strike between driving a heaping pile of shit and fretting over every little imperfection. I think the first step is accepting the fact that your vehicle is going to get damaged during use, whether it is rock chips, door dings, or an accident. The second step is taking the initiative to correctly repair the damage. Just because your vehicle gets damaged doesn't mean it can no longer be a nice vehicle. Fix the issue and carry on.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

3+ years old car is :aintcare: status. I like shiny new things but feel better DD the latter.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:59 am

3+ years old car is :aintcare: status. I like shiny new things but feel better DD the latter.
having played the new car game a few times I really have paying a preium for a nice thing just to see it get torn up. I very much like having something that's already a little not perfect but nice.

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am

There is a balance you can strike between driving a heaping pile of shit and fretting over every little imperfection. I think the first step is accepting the fact that your vehicle is going to get damaged during use, whether it is rock chips, door dings, or an accident. The second step is taking the initiative to correctly repair the damage. Just because your vehicle gets damaged doesn't mean it can no longer be a nice vehicle. Fix the issue and carry on.
yes, good attitude. my car has slowly gotten worse over my ownershit due to 6 month car wash intervals, kids, and hauling all the things.
that said it's still nicer than most 10 year old cars on the road
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:59 am

having played the new car game a few times I really have paying a preium for a nice thing just to see it get torn up. I very much like having something that's already a little not perfect but nice.
It will depend on my lifestyle and driving habits, but if I'm doing what I'm doing now there is no way I'm buying a new car. My TL was a one year old trade in and the few scratches and dents that it had made no difference to my happiness since I saved 7k.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I like this V8. And the trans. It’s so strong.

Not sure if it has mag ride but it rides pretty decently really. We’ve bottomed the suspension a few times but even that isn’t too jarring. Nicely sorted car.

Still not hot on the interior and visibility. This car would be awesome as a sedan.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I like keeping my cars as nice as I can, but yes, shit happens.
It's why I don't like having expensive wheels for one.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:50 am I like this V8. And the trans. It’s so strong.

Not sure if it has mag ride but it rides pretty decently really. We’ve bottomed the suspension a few times but even that isn’t too jarring. Nicely sorted car.

Still not hot on the interior and visibility. This car would be awesome as a sedan.
ATS and CTS basically. Too bad the ATS and CTS never got that engine and trans combo.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:52 am

I like keeping my cars as nice as I can, but yes, shit happens.
It's why I don't like having expensive wheels for one.
:dat:

I maintain, wash, take care of my stuff as well as I can... BUT I do enjoy having things like a $12K :poorvette: that I can get :225: residue all over at the track and :aintcare: too much. Despite being way more well off than when I bought my :mk6: for $25K, $30K or so is still my upper limit for a car, :notsure: I would enjoy owning something much more than that... just too much for something that will inevitably get beat on overtime.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Loving the Tesla interior