Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I really don't find that car unattractive at all :iono: :wrong:

I would probably drive one if it drove well and is otherwise :nice:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:46 am I really don't find that car unattractive at all :iono: :wrong:

Agreed. I'd love to see a wagon version of it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:46 am I really don't find that car unattractive at all :iono: :wrong:

I think it looks pretty good. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Arr rook same to me. I don't see a universe in which anyone should buy that thing over a :turboyaris: or Civic Si.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:06 am Arr rook same to me. I don't see a universe in which anyone should buy that thing over a :turboyaris: or Civic Si.
I admittedly haven't cared enough to look into it that much... but if it is a Veloster N underneath, people would buy it because it is a better drivers car? Veloster N has LSD, more power, and is reportedly way better to drive than either of those two.

I personally do really like the Si :doe:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:09 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:06 am Arr rook same to me. I don't see a universe in which anyone should buy that thing over a :turboyaris: or Civic Si.
I admittedly haven't cared enough to look into it that much... but if it is a Veloster N underneath, people would buy it because it is a better drivers car? Veloster N has LSD, more power, and is reportedly way better to drive than either of those two.

Doesn't the MK8 GTI come standard with LSD and a decent bump in power?

The Hyundai does have that 10/100 powertrain warranty, though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Warranty
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:22 am

I think so, I would say at least 40 percent of the people whose gonna buy are clearly Audi/vw fan boys. Although most of all the ones I know really hate the mk7 as it is cheaply made, he’s :notwrong:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

It's a Veloster N underneath with some "gen 2" components that the Veloster probably won't get. New adaptive dampers, tweaked turbo, etc. Much better interior, too. Dem SEATS... plus they're heated, unlike the new Veloster N seats.

2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:03 pm

I think so, I would say at least 40 percent of the people whose gonna buy are clearly Audi/vw fan boys. Although most of all the ones I know really hate the mk7 as it is cheaply made, he’s :notwrong:
Mine seems fine. :iono:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:03 pm

Mine seems fine. :iono:
I didn’t have much complaints about mine either, mine held up pretty well for 94k miles. Had people come in and go and told me still feels like a new car. Nit picky things I guess.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Yeah, the Mk8 has something like 241 hp or thereabouts, which is a nice bump over the 228 hp of the 7.5, but still off the 276 (I think) of these H "N" cars.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Yeah, the Mk8 has something like 241 hp or thereabouts, which is a nice bump over the 228 hp of the 7.5, but still off the 276 (I think) of these H "N" cars.
280 and yes, Hyundai has definitely upped the power for the N cars as well. However, long ago there has been evidence where the GTI actually packs more power stock than advertised, and I know our engines have room to make more power in stock form too.

That said evidence
https://www.focusst.org/threads/mk7-vw- ... ill.34049/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Good point. The MK8 looks like a Korea-fied GTI too, so basically they have just merged :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

These are basically going to be the same IRL number, IMHO, unless Hyundai has changed their ways or VW has changed theirs. Hyundai power ratings are always optimistic and almost all German manufacturers underrate their engines. Curb weight and quarter mile times will tell the most truth other than side by side dyno comparisons.

For instance the B 58 in our 440i is rated at 320hp but there are numerous dyno tests showing that number AT THE WHEELS. That's 370 Hyundai HP.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:28 pm

These are basically going to be the same IRL number, IMHO, unless Hyundai has changed their ways or VW has changed theirs. Hyundai power ratings are always optimistic and almost all German manufacturers underrate their engines. Curb weight and quarter mile times will tell the most truth other than side by side dyno comparisons.
Yep, as TK noted above, VW has a history of under-rating the powah of the GTI. I know the Mk6 made more than 200 hp stock and judging by how much faster my 7.5 is, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes more than 228. No idea on H , :doe:

Could it just be a case of VW reporting crank hp vs wheel, as others do (if that's what others do)?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:32 pm

Yep, as TK noted above, VW has a history of under-rating the powah of the GTI. I know the Mk6 made more than 200 hp stock and judging by how much faster my 7.5 is, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes more than 228. No idea on H , :doe:

Could it just be a case of VW reporting crank hp vs wheel, as others do (if that's what others do)?
Everybody reports crank hp AFAIK. Hyundai quarter mile times never quite back up their numbers.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I would definitely assume the same for BMW as well. For instance, the previous gen pre-facelift 3 series had the following as advertised. 320i: 180 hp, 328i: 240 hp and 335i n55: 300hp. Almost seems like most of their rating ends with either 0 or 5, until recently.

Also before my mk6, I came from a 200 hp car (04 TSX) and my mk6 being 200 stock, they’re both completely different animals. It doesn’t weigh that different either.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Everybody reports crank hp AFAIK. Hyundai quarter mile times never quite back up their numbers.
:dat:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:37 pm

The current gen is different. The Dual clutch Veloster N (276hp) did the 1/4 mi in 13.4s at 105mph with car and driver. The H/K cars seem to perform exactly as advertised, but the Germans still over perform
wap

This looks legit :notbad:
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022 ... C22DFED2FA

500 miles range, legit great interior, interesting looks. This should put Elon on notice, but will it?

Some quotes I found particularly interesting:
The rear motor of the Model S Long Range weighs 295 pounds and produces 430 horsepower, for a power density of 1.46 hp per pound. The Air uses the same motor front and rear; each weighs 163 pounds yet makes 670 horsepower (and spins at 20,000 rpm) for a power density of 4.11 hp per pound. That's nearly three times better. Also, unlike Tesla, Lucid bothered to put a proper interior in its car.
The interior is another matter entirely. Wow. Whereas every Tesla since day one has seemingly shipped without a finished interior, Lucid not only crafted a perfectly wonderful luxury-car cabin, but it also smartly avoided the screens über alles aesthetic that plagues cars like the Mercedes EQS.
This isn't just a great interior for an electric vehicle—it's one of the nicest interiors in the car world. Also, there are physical controls for fan speed, temperature, volume, and the dome light.
But what a fantastic machine Lucid has created. Once we arrived, my limo still had 30 miles of range on the clock, and Rawlinson's car amazingly had 72. This meant my 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R had the potential to go 475 miles, whereas Rawlinson's could have traveled 517 miles on a single charge. That's a gauntlet dropped at the feet of you know who.

$170k :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That thing is fuckin' sweet looking. Don't want for $170K :doe:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

The Lucid Air is legit. They have a solid team of real car dudes. I was just concerned they'd run out of cash before getting to production, but sounds like they got there. This is honestly the direction Tesla should have gone: luxury, performance EVs. The Model 3/Y will ultimately play out as a bad decision. New generations of the Model S and X would have been a better bet.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I drove my friend's slightly modified E46 325 while in Chicago and now I really want a E46 330. I could absolutely feel the 500lbs that were missing from the S4.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:55 pm I drove my friend's slightly modified E46 325 while in Chicago and now I really want a E46 330. I could absolutely feel the 500lbs that were missing from the S4.
:doit:

There is a 330 ZHP in red with the same wheels I have in my neighborhood, :manuel: That thing is :nice: