Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

If the WRX is what I think it could be, the Cucktrek might be in trouble.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

RLWake wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:35 pm https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3701 ... -revealed/

:jizz: :manuel:

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has really grabbed my attention recently... now this? Sweet.
Fuck, I wish that came as a hatch.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

But Kona :doe: so...
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

wap wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:28 pm
RLWake wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:35 pm https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3701 ... -revealed/

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has really grabbed my attention recently... now this? Sweet.
I would say veloster but it's not quite the same. Still awesome.

I've got :plac: fever right now because I will finally have proper income very soon. I'm exploring all options for either a new car to daily and keep :cheese: or find a mroe expensive car to completely replace :cheese:.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
wap

RLWake wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:17 pm

I've got :plac: fever right now because I will finally have proper income very soon. I'm exploring all options for either a new car to daily and keep :cheese: or find a mroe expensive car to completely replace :cheese:.
:notwrong: re Lobster, but, as you said, it's not quite the same. I'm glad it exists, and I know it's competent, but it's just not for me. I did like that Elantra 5 door thing.

I vote to somehow keep :cheese: because it's uncommonly well sorted, and small, fun, modestly powered dedicated sports cars are going to be a rare thing before long.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:46 pm

:notwrong: re Lobster, but, as you said, it's not quite the same. I'm glad it exists, and I know it's competent, but it's just not for me. I did like that Elantra 5 door thing.

I vote to somehow keep :cheese: because it's uncommonly well sorted, and small, fun, modestly powered dedicated sports cars are going to be a rare thing before long.
Yes... but a :manuel: mk8 golf r is speaking to me so seductively.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
wap

RLWake wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 am
wap wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:46 pm

#Whynotboth?
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:28 am
RLWake wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:14 am

#Whynotboth?
Budget. :(
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

That front end looks like very Nissan Altima left in my neighborhood.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It does, the Veloster. I want to like the Veloster, but I have a hard time getting into the weird three door thing. I think I would honestly rather have this ELANTRA, it looks really neat. I think I prefer sedans though to be honest ( :wrong: I know).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh, it looks like I was beat to the punch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I would try to go for one car. You are young, I’m assuming you don’t have a permanent house with a garage? Keeping multiple cars clean and maintained is a huge pain in the ass, so is moving them around to access and stuff like that. I absolutely think I will have two cars one day when I have the right space and time for it, having a dedicated sports car is awesome but it comes with some pretty high costs when you have other stuff going on.

It also doesn’t hurt that that Miata is probably worth more than 20 K now.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:17 pm
It also doesn’t hurt that that Miata is probably worth more than 20 K now.
I doubt I could get that much. This is kind of a specific car with polarizing mods, etc.

Maybe 16-17k, though? :troywax:

I have a close friend that has been saying up and down that he wants to buy the car off me... I'd probably cut him a reasonable deal because I dont want him to feel screwed once the market corrects.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:13 pm

It does, the Veloster. I want to like the Veloster, but I have a hard time getting into the weird three door thing. I think I would honestly rather have this ELANTRA, it looks really neat. I think I prefer sedans though to be honest ( :wrong: I know).
Plus:
wap wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:29 pm But Kona :doe: so...
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

4ish months later and I finally got the damage the Hype R got in-transit from the factory fixed. Ended up having three wheels and the rear diffuser replaced.

Didn't really have to do anything other than make the initial call to my local :dillerman: and from the the service lead took care of everything. Really impressed with the way they handled everything considering I didn't buy the car from them. Will definitely be taking it to them for future service, assuming I still have it around.

The invoice makes me :yikes:

wap

Holy :amaze:
Glad it all worked out for you.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:11 pm Holy :amaze:
Glad it all worked out for you.
Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it worked out. Huge kudos to the service dude who made it all happen.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:05 pm 4ish months later and I finally got the damage the Hype R got in-transit from the factory fixed. Ended up having three wheels and the rear diffuser replaced.

Didn't really have to do anything other than make the initial call to my local :dillerman: and from the the service lead took care of everything. Really impressed with the way they handled everything considering I didn't buy the car from them. Will definitely be taking it to them for future service, assuming I still have it around.

That is pretty wild, 15% of MSRP for three wheels and a splitter, all for shipping screw ups. Oof. Nice resolution for you though! Write the Seattle dealer a good review!
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:09 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:05 pm 4ish months later and I finally got the damage the Hype R got in-transit from the factory fixed. Ended up having three wheels and the rear diffuser replaced.

That is pretty wild, 15% of MSRP for three wheels and a splitter, all for shipping screw ups. Oof. Nice resolution for you though! Write the Seattle dealer a good review!
Yeah it's crazy. I would have preferred the cash. :lol:

Ended up bringing the service department some pizza for dinner and am writing an email to the dude's manager to let them know that I'm really happy. Took some time to get done but 5/7 experience I think.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That’s awesome!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

All y'all in front plate states...

wap

:lolol:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I figured out how to make the Elantra N’s front end not hideous. I asked my buddy to do a simple photoshop. 10/10 would do this if I bought one :jimp:

Original:

Edit 1:

Edit 2:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The bottom is much better, but the proportions of the car as a whole in person are just weird. Maybe it's better with the larger N wheels :doe:
wap

RLWake wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 pm I figured out how to make the Elantra N’s front end not hideous. I asked my buddy to do a simple photoshop. 10/10 would do this if I bought one :jimp:

Original:

Edit 1:

Edit 2:
Oh wow. That's a legit improvement. :like: