Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Who gives a fuck what "most people" think? Fun is fun. I covet an extrememly riced out version of an economy car most commonly driven by sorority girls and recent college grads.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:32 pm Who gives a fuck what "most people" think? Fun is fun. I covet an extrememly riced out version of an economy car most commonly driven by sorority girls and recent college grads.
:dat: you move up the ladder too far and you’re faced with $500 oil changes

Fun is fun, a c8 will outperform most porsches under 200k for 70k and be as much or more fun and still take Mobil 1 for $99.99. But it won’t have color matched stitching, headlight surrounds and sport chrono packs that are 1:1 in the country.

Values are to be had in some vehicles unless you want a status symbol
Last edited by max225 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

wap wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:07 pm

The only issue I have with a cross trek is the slope of the rear hatch. Doesn’t leave much room for :doge: in the back there. May have changed in a newer gen doe.
Didn't Subaru recently give the Crosstranny treatment to their Outback wagon? Would that solve this problem?
At a 50% price increase from the Crosstranny to Outback
max225

First gen cross tranny was pretty much mk6 sized inside. I think the newer gen finally got quite a bit bigger. 2 people should have more than enough space for most activities and seats fold etc for mulch runs. It is a great utilitarian vehicle at a reasonable price.
max225

If that’s too small;
Forester and if thats too small outback. And if that’s too small you have issues :lolgasm:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:00 pm First gen cross tranny was pretty much mk6 sized inside. I think the newer gen finally got quite a bit bigger. 2 people should have more than enough space for most activities and seats fold etc for mulch runs. It is a great utilitarian vehicle at a reasonable price.
Exactly the thinking. It's also "super cute" which apparently is a purchase reason. Unfortunately, I think they can't be had with heated steering wheels, which will be the end of that discussion.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:32 pm Who gives a fuck what "most people" think? Fun is fun. I covet an extrememly riced out version of an economy car most commonly driven by sorority girls and recent college grads.
Agreed 100%

I was commenting on Max's comment about looking cool at 25 in a Corvette. I never looked cool, but clearly I didn't care.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Agreed 100%

I was commenting on Max's comment about looking cool at 25 in a Corvette. I never looked cool, but clearly I didn't care.
ChrisoftheNorth

And I still wish Subaru made an STI Crosstrek with :manuel: Would be like a less hard core Ariel Nomad. 5/7 would hoon.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:58 pm
wap wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Didn't Subaru recently give the Crosstranny treatment to their Outback wagon? Would that solve this problem?
At a 50% price increase from the Crosstranny to Outback
Oh. :disgust: :nope:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:14 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:00 pm First gen cross tranny was pretty much mk6 sized inside. I think the newer gen finally got quite a bit bigger. 2 people should have more than enough space for most activities and seats fold etc for mulch runs. It is a great utilitarian vehicle at a reasonable price.
Exactly the thinking. It's also "super cute" which apparently is a purchase reason. Unfortunately, I think they can't be had with heated steering wheels, which will be the end of that discussion.
I love my heated steering wheel. Use it all the time when temps are cool.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:17 pm And I still wish Subaru made an STI Crosstrek with :manuel: Would be like a less hard core Ariel Nomad. 5/7 would hoon.
you mean a STI hatch ? the :unicorn: of subies. I am sad they canned it also. It was one of my faves ... still is, even thought the engine is garbage as far as high mileage reliability goes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:45 pm
The JL/T wheel gets :impressive: toasty
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:17 pm And I still wish Subaru made an STI Crosstrek with :manuel: Would be like a less hard core Ariel Nomad. 5/7 would hoon.
you mean a STI hatch ? the :unicorn: of subies. I am sad they canned it also. It was one of my faves ... still is, even thought the engine is garbage as far as high mileage reliability goes.
Kind of. I want more ground clearance... literally the rally car with heated shit. The Crosstrek would be perfect.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:55 pm
:dat: you move up the ladder too far and you’re faced with $500 oil changes

Fun is fun, a c8 will outperform most porsches under 200k for 70k and be as much or more fun and still take Mobil 1 for $99.99. But it won’t have color matched stitching, headlight surrounds and sport chrono packs that are 1:1 in the country.

Values are to be had in some vehicles unless you want a status symbol
YET. I think the real value on the C8 is going to be in the evolution of that vehicle.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:24 pm

I should wear gloves so my hands don’t get too hot. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:56 pm
Seriously, I turned it off after 5-10 minutes every time.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Seriously, I turned it off after 5-10 minutes every time.
If you get past the scalding, it goes down to a nice temp, it’s cooler at the 3 and 9 positions too.
wap

Same with the wife's H. It gets downright HOT after just a few minutes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My poverty spec ass has never once experienced a heated wheel. I haven’t had heated seats since my :mk6: and still miss them a bit.

I saw a :jeep: Sport today with the non leather steering wheel, very :disgust:

Made me realize I do slightly care about features.
wap

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:14 am My poverty spec ass has never once experienced a heated wheel. I haven’t had heated seats since my :mk6: and still miss them a bit.

I saw a :jeep: Sport today with the non leather steering wheel, very :disgust:

Made me realize I do slightly care about features.
The H was the first time I experienced it last winter of 2019/2020.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Can get it on the $38k plug in hybrid one :hue:

I could have sworn my mom's 2019 Impreza had a heated steering wheel though. For some reason I remember the button not being illuminated and couldn't tell if you turned it on until it was warm or not. :iono:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:25 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am

Not to mention, even appliances have gotten better dynamically. There's basically no such thing as "shitty" cars anymore other than mitsubishi.

Whenever I talk to my parents about Skoda, they'll go :hellno: because when they grew up it used to be cars for the poverty and shitty busses, now that they're owned by VW, they're rather a little more upscale cars. I am like that in Hyundai's, because I've been in those hyundai accent cabs growing up and I know how the dash is more like fisher price, plus one of my friends dad had the Hyundai Excel (first one made) when I was a kid and it was a complete pile. The new line-up are completely opposite, I rented one overseas and it drives on par as my mk6, i've been in santa fe, elanta, and ioniq as ubers, also decent quality too. But i'd still won't get one and GDI engines have flaws that causes :hibachi: :hibatchi: situations.

Not too long ago, phones weren't that expensive either, I remember when I bought my iphone 3g, it was only $200, now? forget it! I remember reading an article saying "my parents had a $100,000 salary and now that I make that much, I don't think I am rich" or somewhere along those lines.
Skoda is a rebadged VW, with all the same internals built in the same plants (i.e. engines/etc), and the Czechs can run weld shops as well as the next guy. Heck the T-reg/Q7/Q8/Cayenne are built in Bratislava, and I can't imagine that the Czechs are any better or worse at building cars then the Slovaks, or Germans for that matter. Both my T-reg and R are holding up exceptionally well for 4+ yr old cars. I'd buy a Skoda Octavia to save a few bucks over a VW sportwagen or whatever the equivalents are in the EU.
:dat: but it's hard to convince them in the right direction. I'd personally love myself an Octavia VRS, dat sedan with a hatch :jizz: whenever they see a skoda, this comes to their mind.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am

Not to mention, even appliances have gotten better dynamically. There's basically no such thing as "shitty" cars anymore other than mitsubishi.

Whenever I talk to my parents about Skoda, they'll go :hellno: because when they grew up it used to be cars for the poverty and shitty busses, now that they're owned by VW, they're rather a little more upscale cars. I am like that in Hyundai's, because I've been in those hyundai accent cabs growing up and I know how the dash is more like fisher price, plus one of my friends dad had the Hyundai Excel (first one made) when I was a kid and it was a complete pile. The new line-up are completely opposite, I rented one overseas and it drives on par as my mk6, i've been in santa fe, elanta, and ioniq as ubers, also decent quality too. But i'd still won't get one and GDI engines have flaws that causes :hibachi: :hibatchi: situations.

Not too long ago, phones weren't that expensive either, I remember when I bought my iphone 3g, it was only $200, now? forget it! I remember reading an article saying "my parents had a $100,000 salary and now that I make that much, I don't think I am rich" or somewhere along those lines.
Skoda is a rebadged VW, with all the same internals built in the same plants (i.e. engines/etc), and the Czechs can run weld shops as well as the next guy. Heck the T-reg/Q7/Q8/Cayenne are built in Bratislava, and I can't imagine that the Czechs are any better or worse at building cars then the Slovaks, or Germans for that matter. Both my T-reg and R are holding up exceptionally well for 4+ yr old cars. I'd buy a Skoda Octavia to save a few bucks over a VW sportwagen or whatever the equivalents are in the EU.
Also I decided to look at local classifieds, that local VRS wagon.

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:17 am

Also I decided to look at local classifieds, that local VRS wagon.

Thats pretty dope! I love the seats