Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:25 pm
Irish wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:14 pm Asking $80K I'd Imagine if you could garage it indefinately, you would evenually make a few bucks but prob not big money
Why not just buy a new one for that ? Nothing superior on a 99 vs a 21
:notwrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:14 pm Asking $80K I'd Imagine if you could garage it indefinately, you would evenually make a few bucks but prob not big money
Or a super nice, super low miles version of that generation for 1/4 the price that you can actually drive.
Irish

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 pm

Or a super nice, super low miles version of that generation for 1/4 the price that you can actually drive.
:yesth: I will eventually seek out something like this methinks..... an entry level poorsche, reasonably priced beckons to me....
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:14 pm Asking $80K .......

I'd Imagine if you could garage it indefinately, you would evenually make a few bucks but prob not big money
$80k :lolgasm: :yeahok:

That thing will never be worth that. They made too many Boxsters and like Dan said, they weren't really that special in the grand scheme of Porsche cars.

It really belongs in a museum more than a dillershit. It's probably not even that drivable due to rubber parts drying out, bearings drying out, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 pm

:yesth: I will eventually seek out something like this methinks..... an entry level poorsche, reasonably priced beckons to me....
:notbad:

I think that is where a Boxster belongs... an amazing value for a fun sports car. You can get a quite nice one for around $30K. I don't see them as ever being all that collectible, kind of like Corvettes.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm

I'd Imagine if you could garage it indefinately, you would evenually make a few bucks but prob not big money

That thing will never be worth that. They made too many Boxsters and like Dan said, they weren't really that special in the grand scheme of Porsche cars.

It really belongs in a museum more than a dillershit. It's probably not even that drivable due to rubber parts drying out, bearings drying out, etc.
I posted it as a conversation piece before I know how much they wanted for it .... :dillerman: gonna :dillerman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm

I posted it as a conversation piece before I know how much they wanted for it .... :dillerman: gonna :dillerman:
It is indeed proving to be a pretty great conversation piece :notbad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:21 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:52 am

so we have 2 new Iconic SUV's are late due to Kung Flu. :impressive:
And when they will finally get here they will get whacked by gas prices and gov regulation. Exactly like the FJ and H3T etc
:popcorn:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 pm

:wat:

Yeah, it's just a Boxster.
Seriously. You could buy a newer 2.7 Cayman and save half of that money, or a newer Cayman S and save a quarter of the cash.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am
Huckleberry wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:42 am

Seriously. You could buy a newer 2.7 Cayman and save half of that money, or a newer Cayman S and save a quarter of the cash.
:dat:

I'd totally rock a base Cayman.
Absolutely.
Plenty fast enough to get in trouble and still handles fantastic, which is the point of a ME platform anyway.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish

the want for a poorsche is real....
Irish

I originally thought that a :gorf: would be next for me... and if the right deal comes along it still may... but my son has brought a few home and frankly the AWD actually takes quite a bit of the excitement and rawness out of the equation versus a stage 1 tuna on a :mk6: At this point I may just opt for a Mk7.5 GIT and a toon.....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:41 pm
Irish wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:10 pm I originally thought that a :gorf: would be next for me... and if the right deal comes along it still may... but my son has brought a few home and frankly the AWD actually takes quite a bit of the excitement and rawness out of the equation versus a stage 1 tuna on a :mk6: At this point I may just opt for a Mk7.5 GIT and a toon.....
The GTI is still a great car - hard to fault it, especially if you're a fan of ze Deutscheland.
I honestly can’t say enough good things about mine. I genuinely enjoy it every time I get to hop in and take it out. I’d 100% be content having one for my daily for as long as it takes for automakers to eventually put cars out on the road that don’t have steering wheels.

I think some more :meat: - 235s on 8.5” wheels - an OEM+ style stage 1 :tuna:, and a couple simple mods to make it sound a bit more interesting, the thing would be absolutely perfect.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Irish

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:01 pm

The GTI is still a great car - hard to fault it, especially if you're a fan of ze Deutscheland.
I honestly can’t say enough good things about mine. I genuinely enjoy it every time I get to hop in and take it out. I’d 100% be content having one for my daily for as long as it takes for automakers to eventually put cars out on the road that don’t have steering wheels.

I think some more :meat: - 235s on 8.5” wheels - an OEM+ style stage 1 :tuna:, and a couple simple mods to make it sound a bit more interesting, the thing would be absolutely perfect.
:yesth: Of all the cars I've owned, the Stage 1+ GTI checks the most boxes ....

Demuro has one just like yours FS right now..... not sure the reserve will be met doe

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3L2jVZ ... -gti-sport
Irish

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:03 pm Poorsche for $30k, you say?

:drool:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... hare_other
:ohdang: :megusta:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Best wheels too
wap

I obviously love GTI's, too. And the 7.5 is really excellent, the best GTI yet. The one unforgiveable thing about mine is the :| HU , which I might look at replacing some day. That, and the lack of a compass.
Irish

wap wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 pm

I obviously love GTI's, too. And the 7.5 is really excellent, the best GTI yet. The one unforgiveable thing about mine is the :| HU , which I might look at replacing some day. That, and the lack of a compass.
Believe it or not, this omission was one of the things about my Civic that made me seek out a different car...... I ended up with the GTI and that is how I know y'all......

:science: :amaze: :math:
Last edited by Irish on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 pm :dat:
Mine has a compass. ;)

I’ll take the 7 generally with its lack of safety nannies in the lower trims, but I realize I’m more or less on an island with that one. 7.5 front bumper looks better, doe.
wap

Irish wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:50 pm
wap wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 pm

Believe it or not, this omission was one of the things about my Civic that made me seek out a different car...... I ended up with the GTI and that is how I know y'all......

:science: :amaze: :math:
I do believe it! It :triggered: me so much that VW omitted such an undoubtedly cheap, yet extremely useful, feature. I've been looking for an aftermarket solution, but haven't had any luck yet as I don't want one of those stupid ball floating in liquid things.
wap

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 pm
wap wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:41 pm :dat:
Mine has a compass. ;)

I’ll take the 7 generally with its lack of safety nannies in the lower trims, but I realize I’m more or less on an island with that one. 7.5 front bumper looks better, doe.
:jelly:
Unfortunately, VW cheaped out on the HU in the Rabbit. They put in their cheapest one, so no CD player, lousy speakers, no subwoofer, no performance gauges, and no compass in the MFD.

Hmm, the lack of nannies is :nice: for sure, but the 7.5 front end, as you mentioned, is :muah: with the LP
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 am
wap wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 pm

I do believe it! It :triggered: me so much that VW omitted such an undoubtedly cheap, yet extremely useful, feature. I've been looking for an aftermarket solution, but haven't had any luck yet as I don't want one of those stupid ball floating in liquid things.
Just get an autodimming compass mirror. / :bread:
Addressed this in my Blue Meanie thread. Apparently it is not possible.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:19 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Addressed this in my Blue Meanie thread. Apparently it is not possible.

Sad! :thankstrump:
That's what my SA told me :iono:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:46 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Sad! :thankstrump:
That's what my SA told me :iono:
Here’s your answer

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2018_ ... 2548F.html