Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:57 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 pm

It’s going in the Tundra and sequoia.
Yep, they are replacing the 5.7 with that claiming that it will get "better mpg" i am sure. While I doubt it'll cause a big change in the real world vs the fake EPA #s. Similar to what ford did by replacing their 5.4 with the 2.7/3.5 eco boosts. Man Toyota is really over a decade behind everyone else when it comes to powertrains.
They’re ahead in hybrid and of the big automakers are doing well on electric/plug-in. They’re putting money and tech effort into the things that matter for the future of their company.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 pm

It’s going in the Tundra and sequoia.
Yep, they are replacing the 5.7 with that claiming that it will get "better mpg" i am sure. While I doubt it'll cause a big change in the real world vs the fake EPA #s. Similar to what ford did by replacing their 5.4 with the 2.7/3.5 eco boosts. Man Toyota is really over a decade behind everyone else when it comes to powertrains.
I'm actually pretty amazed that Toyota has this new engine. It really does seem late to the party, but to our earlier points about electrification, this is evidence that Toyota will have ICE for a while.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:35 pm New Kia Sportage looks nice. Interior is bangin. If they offer the turbo hybrid that the Tucson has it will be a legit contender for next car.
Wow, Kia is just killing it lately. This thing looks :neat:

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:24 am

I'm actually pretty amazed that Toyota has this new engine. It really does seem late to the party, but to our earlier points about electrification, this is evidence that Toyota will have ICE for a while.
Yea perhaps they are thinking bring it out in 22 and keep till 35. Which is roughly how long they keep the same motors. Also these are the most popular in the Middle East which will likely keep trucking past 2050.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:24 am
Yea perhaps they are thinking bring it out in 22 and keep till 35. Which is roughly how long they keep the same motors. Also these are the most popular in the Middle East which will likely keep trucking past 2050.
Oh true, there's plenty of markets that DGAF about ICE emissions, like the middle east. I guess if that engine can go in everything they sell there, it will pay off with volume over the next 20ish years.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:35 pm New Kia Sportage looks nice. Interior is bangin. If they offer the turbo hybrid that the Tucson has it will be a legit contender for next car.
Wow, Kia is just killing it lately. This thing looks :neat:

Huh? Looks like everything else on the road.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am
Detroit wrote: Wow, Kia is just killing it lately. This thing looks :neat:

:howdareyou:

A wagon that sits on top of black plastic cladding is the future
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am
Detroit wrote: Wow, Kia is just killing it lately. This thing looks :neat:

The overall shape and concept, sure. But it's got a lot of angular lines that go against a lot of the bubbly/swoopy designs that seem to be everywhere for aero. The interior looks nice too. :iono:

Especially when compared to the current one that really looks like everything else:

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:54 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am Huh? Looks like everything else on the road.
:howdareyou:

A wagon that sits on top of black plastic cladding is the future
Tall wagon with more headroom and a hybrid power train and good warranty for cheap. Sounds like a good vehicle to let Mr Cheerios destroy. The Cmax is too small for us especially if we are bringing the dog overnight anywhere. We are at a shore house this week and maaaan that car was packed.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:19 pm https://autos.yahoo.com/toyota-land-cru ... 00978.html

This powertrain in the taco would be amazing
They should put it in the Supra.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am Huh? Looks like everything else on the road.
The overall shape and concept, sure. But it's got a lot of angular lines that go against a lot of the bubbly/swoopy designs that seem to be everywhere for aero. The interior looks nice too. :iono:

Especially when compared to the current one that really looks like everything else:

Looks like yet another wall-e car to me.
max225

Looks like a raised rio

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I thought that was the new Murano
max225

Went to Carmax today... seemed about 2/3 full on the lot but very little interesting vehicles. There was an M3, and a Panamera.. Panamera was locked...

Also sat in a bumble bee camaro with a manual and a V6 .. :mahtroy: spec. Most comfortable seats I have sat in, in a long time. And uprated interior is nice, minus the :rullretard: downward pointed infotainment...

Now, waiting on Carmax to send me an offer for the Taco.. but frankly, I am :notsure: what else I would get to replace it other than another taco...

Chatted with the saleswoman who also did appraisals and she told me it is pretty much "business as usual" for them, but for a few weeks "it was tough to get cars as dealers wouldn't let them buy out leases" etc.
max225

This photographed really well, but this thing was BEAT the EFF up. Paint was swirled to S (it had clear bra but above that),
Smelled like an Armani Cologne salesman drove it to the gang bang appointments...
tons of wear on the wheels etc.
40k miles... :wtf:
:manuel: if I was a betting man that clutch must be at 5% or less.

Not pictured was a "monster" stripe on the front headlight. But honestly it was in good shape and didn't smell weird etc.

18k for a 2009, 2wd taco with 4 banger and 123k miles. :disgust:
max225

Car max offer 49k
Autonation offer 48k
Vroom 46K
Carvana 42k.
Interestingly enough I am getting more in the traditional places over the online buffoons.

Also 7k spread by not doing your homework... kind of :impressive:
max225

Overall I am facing a bit of a mental dilemma.

1. I love the taco and there is nothing I'd want to replace it with other than a :manuel: taco... perhaps. And that remains to be limited because it would be in the eye scortching yellow/green color which I frankly don't mind.
2. I would likely have to go through another unobtanium search in trying to secure/find a TRD pro at MSRP, which given my trade in quotes is not easy.
3. I would lose keyless start which is really annoying to be honest. I enjoy never having to take the key out of my pocket.
4. The market could switch ... and I WOULD lose a bit of money compared to the current offers and I think I am seeing that locally... Places are getting inventory and things aren't as wild as they were 1-3 months ago.

The vehicles I am semi thinking about:
1. Defender (it will be a MY22/23 model year, so 2/3 years post launch and I would likely special order it)
2. MY22 Tacoma in Green with :manuel:
3. Rivian/E Moostang/Model X. But none of these tickle my fancy... Rivian is closest but I would be a beta tester... Lighting F150 is too big.

My ideal vehicle would be an electric TRD Pro, or electric Ranger Raptor, or electric Defender... but they do not exist.

What say yee... should I make a thread... or hmm.
max225

Overall I am facing a bit of a mental dilemma.

1. I love the taco and there is nothing I'd want to replace it with other than a :manuel: taco... perhaps. A bit of a :plac: move but ... without the financial consequences. It would be in the eye scorching yellow/green color which I frankly don't mind.
2. I would likely have to go through another unobtanium search in trying to secure/find a TRD pro at MSRP, which given my trade in quotes is not easy.
3. I would lose keyless start which is really annoying to be honest. I enjoy never having to take the key out of my pocket.
4. The market could switch ... and I WOULD lose a bit of money compared to the current offers and I think I am seeing that locally... Places are getting inventory and things aren't as wild as they were 1-3 months ago.

The vehicles I am semi thinking about:
1. Defender (it will be a MY22/23 model year, so 2/3 years post launch and I would likely special order it)
2. MY22 Tacoma in Green with :manuel:
3. Rivian/E Moostang/Model X. But none of these tickle my fancy... Rivian is closest but I would be a beta tester... Lighting F150 is too big.

My ideal vehicle would be an electric TRD Pro, or electric Ranger Raptor, or electric Defender... but they do not exist.

What say yee... should I make a thread... or hmm.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’d go Defender. They will do everything you need a truck/SUV for and you get the uprated badge. :like:
They also look cool af imo
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Supercharged V8 2 door Defender
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm frugal, so keeping it would be my first choice.
max225

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:46 pm I’d go Defender. They will do everything you need a truck/SUV for and you get the uprated badge. :like:
Yea it still maintains a uniqueness as well. However I am :notsure: if the baby dick 2.slow is good enough, or if I need to go I6. I don’t like the complexity of the I6. It’s some wacky hybrid crap that doesn’t work, turbos and god knows what else …
V8 is out of the question. If I’m spending 100k I’m going RR not defender.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:16 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:46 pm I’d go Defender. They will do everything you need a truck/SUV for and you get the uprated badge. :like:
Yea it still maintains a uniqueness as well. However I am :notsure: if the baby dick 2.slow is good enough, or if I need to go I6. I don’t like the complexity of the I6. It’s some wacky hybrid crap that doesn’t work, turbos and god knows what else …
V8 is out of the question. If I’m spending 100k I’m going RR not defender.
2.0 is the best option in our JLU, and Griff likes it in his as well. Idk what the weight/gearing differences are but you’d probably be fine with the 2.0. Worth looking into.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:07 pm I'm frugal, so keeping it would be my first choice.
:dat:
+1
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My Carvana offer has officially reached :fullretard: levels at $20,415; $415 more than I paid for it nearly 3 years and 18k miles ago. The timing is perfect since my wife is going back to the office part time in a few weeks. I don't much feel like playing the used market right now with as nutty as prices are, so I'm probably going to buy new. The question then is, do I really need a minivan or not? The two I'm deciding between are the Outback XT Touring and the Odyssey EX-L. The Outback is maybe the only non-SUVs that will fit 3 car seats, plus it will actually fit in our garage. The Odyssey would not (at least not with the Atlas), and I suppose we could always rent a Suburban or something if we really need a big road trip vehicle. We could always get a roof box for the Atlas as well. The price is about the same, but the Subaru dealer is actually still willing to sell the car for invoice ($39.8k from $42.6k), which in today's climate is insane to me, but I'd gladly take it. Honda dealer will come off MSRP a little bit, but not much, and the Odyssey is a little cheaper to begin with so the purchase price would be about the same.