Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:29 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:10 pm I'm liking this AA maps thing. :notbad:
No compass no care
:lolol:
:(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:29 pm

No compass no care
MK7 has compass, glovebox liner, etc.
:hubba: :fancy:
I have none of those.
:triggered:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:45 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Did you not have this before?
I've only tried using it a handful of times, but I think a slightly newer phone software gives the map skin a nicer look. I don't bother with AA because the usb socket doesn't charge the phone while in use and initiating the connection is more cumbersome then running the map right off the phone or using the built in GPS.

It's otherwise :notbad: I guess.
Yeah, usually phone software updates also include CarPlay/AndroidAuto updates as well. For Apple stuff, the CarPlay port charges the phone but like VERY SLOWLY. Strange that it doesn’t even maintain the charge for Android stuff.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:10 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:45 pm

I've only tried using it a handful of times, but I think a slightly newer phone software gives the map skin a nicer look. I don't bother with AA because the usb socket doesn't charge the phone while in use and initiating the connection is more cumbersome then running the map right off the phone or using the built in GPS.

It's otherwise :notbad: I guess.
Yeah, usually phone software updates also include CarPlay/AndroidAuto updates as well. For Apple stuff, the CarPlay port charges the phone but like VERY SLOWLY. Strange that it doesn’t even maintain the charge for Android stuff.
It does maintain or charge SLOWLY, but I have a beast whose charger that will go from zero to hero by the time I get to my destination, so I plug into that or don't bother at all. It is probably one of the major reasons I'm not streaming AA to the head unit often. That and I just can't be bothered with the five step connection process.

The nav set to satellite mode is 5/7 :doe: I might use it again next time I'm planning a trip to a new place.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My phone charges when connected to the Beep Beep’s CarPlay but my view is always similar... just :aintcare: about CarPlay versus maps on my phone, it’s the same :bs:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

TouchMyFraud

Literally useless. Unusable. Car has navi and I just use my damn phone. The car nav won't even place me on the right street, maps are from 2011, and no traffic updates. Carplay / AA are the way.
wap

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:11 pm My phone charges when connected to the Beep Beep’s CarPlay but my view is always similar... just :aintcare: about CarPlay versus maps on my phone, it’s the same :bs:
I feel the same about my AA. I just use my phone. It's simpler and the info is the same.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:11 pm My phone charges when connected to the Beep Beep’s CarPlay but my view is always similar... just :aintcare: about CarPlay versus maps on my phone, it’s the same :bs:
I feel the same about my AA. I just use my phone. It's simpler and the info is the same.
Compass lovers :dock:
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:56 am
wap wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 pm
Compass lovers :dock:
:yesth: :sissyfight:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Has anyone sold a car through shift.com? Need to get rid of my GTI and they're offering me ~$1,400 more than I paid for it 1.5 years ago.

Probably going to schedule an evaluation to see what they'll actually give me this weekend.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 pm Has anyone sold a car through shift.com? Need to get rid of my GTI and they're offering me ~$1,400 more than I paid for it 1.5 years ago.

Probably going to schedule an evaluation to see what they'll actually give me this weekend.
Have you gotten pricing at other places? Everything is stupidly priced right now, so there are a lot of people who are selling for more than what they originally paid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

HerrBerlin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 pm Has anyone sold a car through shift.com? Need to get rid of my GTI and they're offering me ~$1,400 more than I paid for it 1.5 years ago.

It looks to be the same as Vroom, Carvana, online Carmax, etc. I know plenty of people who have bought/sold with these services with great success. I haven't seen shift.com specifically until you brought it up, but it looks to be legit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Check vroom. They offered more than we paid for our JL 1.5 years ago. The process to sell has been crazy simple, and I've talked to a number of people who have sold through vroom successfully with zero drama.

Shift has some so so reviews, especially when it comes to nickel and diming when receiving the car and sending a check.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Carvana is what I used and it was the easiest thing ever. Reasonable value, good communication, no surprises after the fact even though my car was in worse condition than its age/mileage would imply.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am Carvana is what I used and it was the easiest thing ever. Reasonable value, good communication, no surprises after the fact even though my car was in worse condition than its age/mileage would imply.
Vroom offered $1,200 more than Carvana for the JL, so I went that route. Hopefully I don't deal with any surprises after the fact, but from the people I've talked to, it's not normally an issue.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Shift is offering $600 more than Vroom so I'll probably schedule an appointment for them to come to me and give their true offer. Even if they knock a few hundred off, it's still higher than Vroom (which is also more than I paid for it, thanks covid!). If it feels shady, I can just back out and sell to Vroom.

Closest carvana to me is 700 miles south in California unfortunately. Carmax is another option but their online offer is lower and the other offers are high enough that I don't want to go to carmax to get an in-person appraisal.

Whichever way I go, it sounds like I'll be getting more than I paid. Plenty of :plac: profit.
troyguitar

HerrBerlin wrote:Shift is offering $600 more than Vroom so I'll probably schedule an appointment for them to come to me and give their true offer. Even if they knock a few hundred off, it's still higher than Vroom (which is also more than I paid for it, thanks covid!). If it feels shady, I can just back out and sell to Vroom.

Closest carvana to me is 700 miles south in California unfortunately. Carmax is another option but their online offer is lower and the other offers are high enough that I don't want to go to carmax to get an in-person appraisal.

Whichever way I go, it sounds like I'll be getting more than I paid. Plenty of :plac: profit.
Carvana picked it up from my driveway and the quote was set without them even seeing the car. Maybe it's different over there :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:54 am Shift is offering $600 more than Vroom so I'll probably schedule an appointment for them to come to me and give their true offer. Even if they knock a few hundred off, it's still higher than Vroom (which is also more than I paid for it, thanks covid!). If it feels shady, I can just back out and sell to Vroom.

Carvana picks up the car just like Vroom and Shift. Or do they not in your area?

Vroom is no hassle...they offer the price and stick to it as long as the paperwork works out and the car isn't a total POS.

I'm curious to hear about the Shift experience :doe:

Now is an epic time to sell a car...just a terrible time to buy. We're going to a one vehicle household for the rest of the year at least...hopefully longer.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am
HerrBerlin wrote:Shift is offering $600 more than Vroom so I'll probably schedule an appointment for them to come to me and give their true offer. Even if they knock a few hundred off, it's still higher than Vroom (which is also more than I paid for it, thanks covid!). If it feels shady, I can just back out and sell to Vroom.

Carvana picked it up from my driveway and the quote was set without them even seeing the car. Maybe it's different over there :doe:
Carvana doesn't operate in my area so I'd have to drive it to be within 50 miles of their closest location.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:54 am Shift is offering $600 more than Vroom so I'll probably schedule an appointment for them to come to me and give their true offer. Even if they knock a few hundred off, it's still higher than Vroom (which is also more than I paid for it, thanks covid!). If it feels shady, I can just back out and sell to Vroom.

Carvana picks up the car just like Vroom and Shift. Or do they not in your area?

Vroom is no hassle...they offer the price and stick to it as long as the paperwork works out and the car isn't a total POS.

Now is an epic time to sell a car...just a terrible time to buy. We're going to a one vehicle household for the rest of the year at least...hopefully longer.
Wait you sold the perfect forever :jeep: and gave away the perfect :jeep: :truk: to buy a floating money pit?

:impressive: :plac:
troyguitar

HerrBerlin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am Carvana picked it up from my driveway and the quote was set without them even seeing the car. Maybe it's different over there :doe:
Carvana doesn't operate in my area so I'd have to drive it to be within 50 miles of their closest location.
Doh. I figured that if they came to me in the middle of nowhere then they'd go anywhere.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:58 am

Nope, they don't service the PNW.

Will probably go through with Shift and report back. The car has one curbed wheel that I'd expect a deduction for but there's nothing else wrong with it.

It really is a great time! Only reason I'm selling is because I managed to buy a Type R at MSRP last week so it's a mix of good price for the new car/good price for selling the current car.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Carvana picks up the car just like Vroom and Shift. Or do they not in your area?

Wait you sold the perfect forever :jeep: and gave away the perfect :jeep: :truk: to buy a floating money pit?

:impressive: :plac:
We never drive the Jeep ever. It's just sitting in the garage collecting dust, just drive it to keep the battery from dying. When I got a random Vroom quote and found it's more than we paid for it, I mentioned it to the wife and she pushed to sell it. We're going to invest some of the money instead, which will probably end up being a mistake, but it's better than having an unused vehicle sitting in the garage paying insurance and reg on it. If we eventually need a 2nd car, we're going to buy something cheaper. She's thinking a Crosstrek or Countryman :manuel: I'm pushing for the latter. She's :mindblown: by the features other cars have for cheaper than the Jeep.

I'm over spending money on cars. It's not worth it to me. Yes, I find the floating money pit to be more fun. It was $10k, and right now would sell easy for $15k, so it'll pretty much always be worth $10k as long as I don't blow it up or something.
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Will probably go through with Shift and report back. The car has one curbed wheel that I'd expect a deduction for but there's nothing else wrong with it.

It really is a great time! Only reason I'm selling is because I managed to buy a Type R at MSRP last week so it's a mix of good price for the new car/good price for selling the current car.
Oh wow, that's awesome! Can't go wrong with a Type R at MSRP IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Solid outcome! Just don't quit us before at least reporting back on how Shift goes (preferably don't quit us :lolol: ).

I am :excited: for you getting your Type R... that is so dope. A :dillerman: here just got two Hype Rs, trying to see if they will sell at MSRP but still a bit :notsure: on the :troywax: It's looking like I am crushing it in April and will make like 20% of a Hype R in commissions so that is pushing me over the edge a little bit towards "living a little".